Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba): I always thought pawpaw = papaya

Communities > Forums > Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)Replies: 5, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #7102651

Thanks for clarifying that these are two entirely different fruits. Your detailed article makes me want to plant one, but that would be silly before I decide if I'd eat it. I've never seen pawpaw at the store. I guess I should look for one, try it and then decide it it's a tree/fruit that belongs on my garden. But you got me almost convinced to grow one, lol.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #7102684

Yes, "they" say that the name came from an outward resemblance of pawpaw fruit to papaya fruit.
I try not to be like the vendors who make you want to plant everything they sell. But hey, I can't help it, if the virtues outnumber the vices of the plant.
I was just re reading the cultural requirements of the tree and see that its does best in zone 5 to 8 due to needing 400 'chill hours' to break dormancy. I'm not sure how that works, but in zone 9 I think you better ask that question before buying. LOL. I have also been really curious about this thing--I think I found ripe fruit in Southern Maryland years ago, but its a two hour drive back there so I haven't gone to look lately.
Peterson Pawpaws is a big name in the business. Kentucky State U has tons of information. Good luck and thanks for commenting!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7102716

I love "they".

I think people in my area grow pawpaw, but maybe they were talking about papayas.

thanks, Sally.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 25, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7103019

Thanks for the eduction about this lovely tree Sally.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7105011

You're very welcome, dahlianut.
Loligo
Murphysboro, IL
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #7112085

Looking around on the web for pawpaw recipes last year, I discovered that in Australia, pawpaw is a name they commonly use for papaya (and I doubt most Australians have ever heard of the native American fruit!). So it's not surprising there's a lot of name confusion.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I planted 3-are they like other Annona? zonkel 6 Sep 30, 2009 4:38 PM
Sally Come visit KY! postmandug 4 Sep 29, 2009 3:42 AM
pawpaw irony Loligo 7 Sep 28, 2009 11:30 PM
Pawpaw flowers ndgardens 12 May 30, 2010 7:53 AM
Hardy Paw Paw: Asimina Triloba BertieFox 1 Sep 29, 2009 5:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America