Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canadian Gardening: For all those people that find it more convenient

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 24, Views: 242
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #7105463

to bother you with their questions rather than looking for the answer for themselves.

Let me Google That For You (LMGTFY) is a fun website that allows you to send links to people that effectively Google a topic for them because they're hmmmmmm er too lazy to do it themselves (of course that isn't always the case as some people haven't been taught how to search on the 'net ). Click the link I posted below to see an example I made. Pretty awesome, huh? I thought so too.

http://tinyurl.com/ydy3rxj

However given my job (which depends on people asking questions) I don't think I'll be sending the above link to anybody local anytime soon. ;D

Edited to say the above link is a wonderful (ie deviously fun) link to send to a brother, sister or close friend who you know is skilled at searching the web however they are often asking you to search for an answer you know they could easily find for themselves.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2009 12:18 AM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #7105473

I know I'm easily amused...and the above is an example of how a general ? can supply one with answers. Of course the more specific the ? the more specific the answer will be.
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2009
5:23 AM

Post #7105549

It looks so easy, but I can't find the LMGTFY page on google. I did however find that poking around the google home page, there's all sorts of help in ways to search for something.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2009
5:37 AM

Post #7105574

Linda I also think the Google home page is the best source for finding help for searching the web (but the LMGTFY is a great site to use for bugging close friends (or sisters and brothers). ;D

Here's the site you were looking for (given the topic above though, and knowing your sense of humor, I'm still wondering if you are pulling my leg however ;): http://tinyurl.com/ybbddfw

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 26, 2009
5:38 AM

Post #7105576

We don't always ask questions to get a specific answer.
Sometimes we ask questions in order to find out what other gardeners are doing.
Forums like this are about sharing ideas on gardening.
Sometimes another gardener can give you ideas which the searches can not give.
Also the information on line is not always reliable.

Caroline

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2009
5:41 AM

Post #7105580

I agree with you Caroline. Some ?'s really can't be answered by searching and often it's better to get answers from knowledgeable gardeners then from a questionable source on the web (of course one can judge how good a source the site it is by who owns it ...for example a hort site owned by a University would be a good source). And of course there is the conversation factor here.

The above was posted part as a joke (great to bug brothers and sisters, etc. with) and part because I think it's a pretty amazing site (there is the fun factor there).

This message was edited Sep 25, 2009 11:55 PM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2009
6:16 AM

Post #7105618

I've edited my first posting (check the last sentence at the bottom of it) so people will realize why I posted it re how often do you see a computer type your question out and then search the web for you.
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #7106092

Cheeky! :-) I have also in the past said 'why don't you try Googling it?', or 'I bet Google could find some stuff', or sometimes I do it myself out of curiosity ... but that LMGTFY may be a good way to needle people whom you want to bug for other reasons. :-D In a job where people are asking you things all the time, I'd imagine it must wear on a person after a while.

I agree with Caroline, though - the personal factor is not to be discounted. People know things that Google doesn't. Besides, I like it when people ask my opinion on something, even when they could easily search on-line. Also, finding information by asking other people or through sites like DG is a good way to have a sense of community in an increasingly isolated world.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7106105

Hey, that is really fun. I could have used that a few times lately.

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 26, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #7106175

On forums such as this there are always shy "lurkers".
We need to create an atmosphere where they won't feel intimidated and will come on line and participate.
There are no dumb questions for any gardening forum.
Let's create an atmosphere where "lurkers" will venture out and ask questions.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2009 6:15 AM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7106182

I find myself doing that all the time= somebody asks a question, I google for the answer and then post it and they say thanks for the info and I wonder why they didnt do the same thing in the firt place.
But as Caroline says I guess often what is wanted are the words of somebody who can give personal experience ( not sure that qualifies me when I just googled it!) and somebody you know 'personally' ( like your fellow DGers) rather than whatever google comes up with.
Have you ever noticed how many lurkers there often are compared to the number of posts?)

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 26, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #7107065

Ah I couldn't figure out why this had got so far off track...and the above is an example of why someone shouldn't post a thread when they should be asleep in bed. ;)

Because this is a gardening forum I put a ? related to gardening in the LMGTFY box (in hindsight I should have put "Which stores sell Hallowe'en supplies in Toronto?").

My finding the above came from a person who uses the internet often (and can judge which sites are good) but tends, when we are talking on the phone, to ask me ?'s she could find the answers to herself (and her puter is right beside the phone too). I too can do it to my husband on occasion (and I definitely can now expect that he will be sending me the above link, with my ? embedded in it). ;D

This message was edited Sep 26, 2009 2:31 PM
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7107178

Are you talking about me? Are you talking about meee?!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #7108496

LOLOLOLOL and choking on my coke here ;D No (((((echoes)))) ;) I'm just picking on myself (and that's easy to do) and someone that shall remain nameless. As you know once one gets into a goofy mood (and am off work) its hard to leave it behind when posting here (and I just got such a kick out of seeing how the LMGTFY worked).

Again thank you for the laugh...we stripped our maters/peppers/eggplants, pulled the plants, cleaned up the plot and now I'm going to drag my sorry butt to bed
BTW Alberta's cowboys and riggers didn't build a strawbale wall as good as the stubble jumpers here did so a major breach occurred today. F*r*o*s*t is now in our short term forecast so I'll be kept amused by my screaming muscles as I haul my tropicals in (DH will be on a plane heading to Toronto by then). I'm off to cry and hide under my afghan now.

echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 27, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7108996

Not too worry, I got kick out of it too. Maybe you just have to be in the right frame of mind.

Looks like Tuesday will be the end for us. Guess I'll be picking the rest of my maters too. Etc...etc. Soon have to make that decision on what gets to come in for the winter.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 27, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7109290

LOL, that is cute! Have to remember that one for just the right time ... ;-)

Sandy

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 27, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7109928

Echoes truly I think you'd be more likely to send it to me (then the other way around). Since I'm the person who'd be contacting you regarding how to multiply quickly all those special (and expensive) lilies I ordered from Valley K (I think I have the right company name). And I know the answer is on the net...but the terms to search, and the original idea to do it, have to come from an experienced gardener. ;D

Glad you enjoyed seeing it too Sandy. Ü
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7140741

That googleguy thing is way too much fun! Thanks lilypon. Re AB straw bales. I was stunned to learn they aren't that easy to get here as most do the big rolls now. The ones you can find are often treated with fire retardent as they are used for stampede displays. Can imagine if someone did strawbale gardening and grew veggies in those? :O Sorry your strawbales blew up though.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #7142675

Lesley unfortunately the straw bales aren't easy to find here either now. So I must admit I get excited (gardeners are truly weird ;) when I see them in the ditches and I have been known to beg my husband to drive to the nearest farmhouse so as to get a lead re who owns them. My lucky day came when I found a nearby Hutterite Colony that still bales that way (and does the smaller, easier to handle, ones to boot). I mulch my veggie patch with their rye bales and extra bonus the rye seeds germinate (later on) and so come fall I have 5 inch tall rye grass to turn under (wonderful green manure). Plain straw works too but I do love the rye bales best. I might have a picture that I can post later showing my dead/living mulch.

Definitely wouldn't want the chemically treated ones. No large scale stampede here ;) but once a year we have go kart races (yippee ;) two blocks away and if I'm fast on the draw I can purchase some, that were brought in for safety measures, from the farmer before he hauls them away. I

Next year we will have to fortify the wall along the AB/SK border (who'd a thunk the worst would be coming from that direction). :'(

And thanks re the site above (I still think its pretty cool too).

This message was edited Oct 6, 2009 6:40 PM
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #7143758

Hi Pam,

The garden centre where I worked in Ottawa for a few months earlier this summer sold straw bales - the smaller ones that I could lift. :-) They were a mostly-organic centre, and the bales were pretty clean by all accounts. If there's anything like that near you, it might be worth a try -? Good luck.

Shannon
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2009
11:25 AM

Post #7143784

Shannon, what were they asking for those straw bales?

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7144416

Hi Shannon :)

I wish they sold the bales at the greenhouses here. Your posting however is a great idea so hopefully others that want/need the bales will find them there. I so agree re how wonderful the smaller rectangular ones are for gardeners (and those that own horses and cows). Rectangular bales are hard to find of any size but, when I do have the rare sighting more often than not its the really large ones that I usually see (and they are about the length of the inside of our car). There was one time however that I saw a farmer making bales that were about 2 1/2' x 3/4 '...that baler was very unique (I've not seen any, before or after, that made bales that size). Unfortunately we were far from home at that time and had a car packed with our summer holiday stuff so I didn't ask to stop to see if he'd sell me a few.

I bagged all my rye straw this fall so I'll have it for next year and I still have three unopened bales (boy they were nice to sit on whilst watering). :D So no pressure for next summer and hopefully the Hutterites will be still using the same baler when I need more.

We have a farm but sad to say no bales are made there (all goes back into the soil...after its trapped snow over the winter). I do eye our barley crops and, after harvest, I am out there with a scythe to collect some of its straw for my ponds however (they charge gold for that stuff in the greenhouses here).
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #7145100

Pricy at garden centresere too!!! What is with that? I can't remember as it was a while ago that I was looking for them but I remember telling the garden centre guy he was nuts when he told me $/bale. Lilypon I can relate to ringing farmer doorbells. I do that to ask if I can have their rocks. Often they will pile the rocks that heave up in their fields by the road and I will spy a prettiful one that I must have. They always look at me like I'm nuts when I ask if I can have one.
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
9:26 AM

Post #7259107

Hi Pam and echoes,

Checking in once a month-! I've been run off my feet with work this fall. Wish I could remember what they were charging for those small bales - somehow $10 or $15 comes to mind-? Could be worth it if you have no other source of clean straw.

Lucky you for having a source of rye straw, Pam!

Wonder how the harvest has gone this year ... I heard the poor farmers in SW-Man are still plugging away when weather permits. Imagine the grade of the crops must have gone down a bit by now, after sitting in the rain for so long.

Shannon

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

November 10, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #7259648

I feel bad for those fellows Shannon...our farm's crops were off by mid September (I'd be going nuts if it hadn't been harvested since it was the best crop we've had in many a year...I had to buy 4 more bins). I know around Saskatoon there is one farmer that a number of neighbors are going to be helping (they are hoping that this weekend will be dry enough to allow all their combines on his fields). He, of course, isn't the only one in that area and those further north are in the same boat (up there however they had drought and their crops didn't germinate until after the very, very late rains came).

I forgot how much rain and flooding the SW corner of Manitoba had but now I remember seeing in the Western Producer that some didn't even plant. We usually have snow by now so am sure hoping it stays nice enough for them to harvest (and your right the grade certainly will have dropped). Which reminds me: biofuel plants are great for crops that have had their grade drop (not for good crops that can feed people).

This message was edited Nov 10, 2009 9:02 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America