Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Old purses

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 28, Views: 656
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #7106033

I bought this purse from Goodwill for $1.00.

This was my first year using a purse as a container. Next year I'll definitely add some trailing lobeila or something to that effect.

Anyway, its a whimsical planter in an unexpected area!

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #7106165

That's cute. The only thing that I planted up that wasn't really a plant pot was a small metal wheel barrel. I have it elevated on a crate since the plant material draped down a lot.

Thumbnail by joannabanana

seray53

September 26, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7107359

Love the containers ladies. I wish that's what my purse had in it instead of all the junk I carry around. Very cute idea.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7109393

That was a truely unique idea. I loved the flowers too. I'm going to start looking now for a purse at Salvation Army for next year.
Loved the wheelbarrow too. MY DD has my old WB. May have to steal it back.
Vickie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #7111253

I have a question. Did you punch holes in the bottom of the purse for drainage or does it drain naturally?
TIA
Vickie
Seedsower
Franklin, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #7114227

Hi Vickie...

If you look towards the bottom of this purse, it has "natural" holes as part of the design so I didn't put any drainage holes in the bottom.

Had it not had these decorative "holes", I would have put a few holes in the bottom most definitely!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
10:10 AM

Post #7115619

Tomorrow or next day i'll go looking for some old purses. If this catches on. purses may be hard to find by spring. Sorta LOL
seray53

September 29, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7116245

I probably only have to look in the bottom of my closet. LOL I think you've started something Seedsower. Something fun!

ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7116589

Very clever!
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7123727

I LOVE that idea! Very cute, and I agree, lobelia would be a very nice addition for next year. Now I wish I still had those old purses I tossed...I may have to go visit the local Goodwill store. :-)
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7213661

Thanks for the idea. I've been using old boots, don't know why purses didn't hit me. I'm always buying purses at yard sales, turning down those that look to used and dirty inside even tho I like the outside. Now I'll buy them anyway and make them a flower pot.
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #7270785

seedsower like your purse planter gave me an idea i make purses out plastic bags may make one and try it for a planter lol
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #7270807

sissy, how do you make your purses? do you have any photos?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2009
6:50 AM

Post #7272670

Sissy, I'd like to know too.
Vickie
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #7272881

i wil d mail the instructions on how to make the plastic yarn but dont use a pattern i just make it up as i go you can see some of my purses on market place ive posted some for sale
seray53

November 14, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7274047

Hi Sissy

I'm still finding my way around on market place. Is there a link for your purses? I'd love to see how it's done.
Thanks
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7275130

look under arts & crafts
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #7332936

Seedsower: I was "lurking" around the garden and came upon this thread. Your purse planter is great! I have an old cloth purse with my name embroidered on it that my sister gave me back in the early 1970's. I found it about seven or eight years ago when we were spring cleaning and I knew I'd never use it as a purse again, so I put a plant in it. I didn't actually plant the plant inside the purse but rather used the purse as a cache pot and sat the pot down inside the purse so I could change it out every so often. It had wood dowels and cloth handles but I removed the wood dowels and hang it from the cloth handles. Friends and family have always gotten a kick out of it. Since it's cloth I don't have to worry about drainage holes because the water runs right through.

Joannabanana: I love your wheelbarrow planter, beautiful combination of flowers you have in there! I haven't yet convinced my husband that I need his old rusty wheelbarrow and that he needs a new one! I guess I'm going to have to buy him a new one so that I can have the old one for a planter, but he seems to keep repairing it and replacing the wheels when they go flat or fall apart.

I love unique & unusual planters and yard art! Our good friend remodeled one of their bathrooms years ago and was throwing out an old bathtub ... I really wanted it for a planter but couldn't convince him and my DH to bring it over here! It weighed a ton but sure would have made a great container garden, or water garden in the yard! I'm still trying to find a kids little red wagon to use for a planter and an old rusty bicycle for yard art! I want to hang a basket on the handlebars to put flowers in! I've also been trying to confiscate one of my husbands old sneakers to use as a planter ... no luck yet though! A boot is a great idea too. I collect birdhouses and saw a photo once of an old leather boot that was made into a birdhouse ... if I could find a pair, one could be the birdhouse and the other a planter.

I guess you could say I love Trash to Treasure stuff! One of my friends says she believes I'd stick a plant in anything and she's probably right. :-) I need to browse the Marketplace and see if I can find Sissy70's creations of the plastic bag purses, that sounds like a great idea. I saw someone once make wreaths out of plastic bags and it was cute!

Here's a photo taken a couple of years ago of my purse planter:

Thumbnail by plantladylin

woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7333086

That is a lovely area you have there for your hanging baskets! Is that a screen porch or what? Very nice!
I'm still looking for a suitable purse; wish I had the old drawstring purses I had years ago, they'd have been perfect.
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 4, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #7333108

Ok, you got to me. I was at goodwill showing my son all the purses just begging for a plant, lol. Actually some would have been so cute it wasn't funny, but I can find them cheaper at a thrift store, lol. Though the mesh bag would have been great for orchids. Or the floral green purse would have been great for a tall plant, lol. So do you find yourself seeing what would look good planted in what purse?

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7333210

woofie, Thank you. That is our screened pool deck. I call it "My Playground". :-) I have so many hanging plants that for years I had plants hanging from plants hanging from plants etc. A couple of years ago my hubby devised a system and installed it along two sides of the pool for my hanging baskets. I had a bunch of wrought iron plant brackets not in use, and he decided to go to Home Depot and buy steel poles (used for chain link fencing) and pvc caps (for the ends of the poles), painted it all brown to match the aluminum of the screened enclosure and hung the poles through the wrought iron brackets, and voila ... a great place for all my hanging plants.

Thumbnail by plantladylin

3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 4, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7333275

Lin, is that a majesty palm? I wanted to ask if the leaves are supposed to kind of twist/spiral, like someone fan dancing, kinda.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7333397

Yes, that is a Majesty. I've had it for quite a few years .. it's extremely root bound and needs up-potting desperately!

LOL, I don't know about the fronds twisting or spiraling, mine don't grow in that manner. Check out some of these pic's in PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/264363/

woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #7333461

Wow. That is a lovely pool area you have there. Very, very nice. Nice hubby, too, to set that up for you!
3jsmom31
zone 6a, KY

December 4, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #7333498

Maybe mine is doing that to stretch for light, or because I have to dance around it all the time, or because it has a few nuts in one pot, lol. But yours does have just the little lilt I am talking about, I noticed it one day while misting the floor, the mist was hitting the plant just so and it caught all the water and sent it down the petiole? to water the plant. At least it is a comfortable dance partner, unlike a pineapple plant.

Wonder how a pineapple would look planted in a big purple hat.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #7340941

You guys convenced me and i went to Sal. Army and picked out 4 purses so i can spend the winter deciding what to plant in them.3 are leather and one is a plastic weave.2 are brown and 2 are black.I'm thinking about adding some beads.
They cost $1.25 each.One of the black ones is a drawstring.
Vickie

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7364858

Really clever purse planter.
I'm off to GoodWill.
seray53

December 13, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7365189

Me too. I just love the idea! After I saw Seedsowers purse I started to collect them. I have five black purses so far to use in a Goth garden. LOL I hope to put an eyeball plant in one and blood grass in another if I can find it. One for each Goth Queen in Charley's Goth and Ungoth thread in the garden design forum. I need a few more so I'll be keeping my eyes open at the flea markets this spring. I hope it'll be like they visited, sat their purses down, and disappeared. Sounds gothy doesn't it? LOL

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7418705

I discovered my Kitty loves to curl up in a purse and hide. So one of the purses has gone to her.
I can see red petunias coleus and a white leafed something in one. I like to mix bright colors as in a cottage garden. Since i've got some seed catalogs. I can better plan now.
I have a dogwood tree just out my back door. I'd like to have some hanging at various heights from that. It would have to be shade lovers tho.
I do like that gothic theme.
Did'nt women carry little bouquets of flowers every where they went? I wonder how a minature rose would look in one.
Vickie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America