Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: AC problem

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 7, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlowerofScotland
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #7107161

My AC handler which is in the garage has water pouring out of it. Does anyone know what would cause this?
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 27, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #7107854

High humidity. One of the main functions of an A/C unit is to de-humidify the air and with your humidity levels right now it's normal for there to be a steady stream coming out.
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #7112960

If the water is pouring out of the drain pipe, that is normal. If it's pouring out of the air handler itself, that's NOT normal and it probably means your drain pipe is blocked with dirt and algae. You can clear it most of the time with a shop vac by plugging the vent pipe which is a small stub up in the drain line near the trap usually close to the air handler and using the shop vac at the outlet where the water is supposed to drain out. This will most often suck out whatever has built up in the pipe and drain the evaporator pan at the same time. After you have cleared it you can pour a tablespoon of household beach down the vent pipe to help clear out any remaining algae. If you use the bleach once or twice a year it will keep the drain line clear.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 28, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7113705

jkochan, good point. I wasn't thinking of anything other than it coming out of the condensate drain.
FlowerofScotland
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #7113742

Yes it was pouring out of the handler and my husband managed to clean out algae that had built up. Thank you Jkochan, you were spot on with your advice.

Annette
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #7116014

Glad to be of help :-)
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
7:01 AM

Post #7118916

When I lived in the deep south I had to put bleach in the drain monthly to keep the drainline clear. It kinda' shocked me that when I moved up north (Missouri) the drainlines were closed (no port to pour the bleach into)
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #7119563

In some installations, the drain line connects to a pipe inside the house such as a sink drain or washer. Since these lines already have vents they will often leave the vent out of the drain line itself. Also in some circumstances when the drain line is a long run the weight of the water in the pipe will overcome the negative air pressure inside the air handler and the water will flow out of the pipe without the need for a vent. In areas where humidity isn't an issue they will sometines leave the vent out. What little water collects in the pan runs out when the fan stops running and the pressure drops. This is always a gamble even with a secondary pan under the primary to catch any overflow.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2009 6:53 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America