Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: Moringa (Horseradish Tree)

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 47, Views: 439
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

September 27, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #7109076

I'm going to buy a bagfull of flowers to eat, from out local natural living farm, this Tuesday.

I googled, and you can eat all parts of this tree, except the trunk! Besides flowers, edible are: the leaves, young seed pods, and roots. Golly, how about that!
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7109538

yes. one of my favourites and I am from India.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

September 27, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7109694

A very nutritious plant! The seeds can also be roasted and eaten like peanuts.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

September 27, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7109839

Wonder why I've never heard of it before? There's an eco-farm group here that's starting up a weekly market. You order on Sunday for a Wednesday pickup. One pound of flowers for (gulp) $20. I googled the flowers, and oh, my. They have rooted cuttings that are for sale, too.

Between this and the Chaya, I'm going to be bouncing around healthy!
stellamarina
Laie, HI

October 7, 2009
6:33 AM

Post #7143610

Have heard that this tree is now being pushed as a plant that can end starvation in poor hot countries... Dried leaves are made into a very nutritional soup for starving children.
Konagirl
Kailua Kona, HI

October 8, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7148807

We just went on a tour of a sustainable farming project in Kona, Hawaii, and moringa was one of the plants they are trying out here.
mommystuff
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7152086

This is a fabulous tree. I have a huge one on my property that we cut back to about 6' once a year. It's only about 3 years old, but regrows to over 20' before we recut it. It grows straight up and has a shallow root system, so it needs to be cut back for safety as well as for ease in harvesting the pods and leaves. I have many of the pods right now with fresh seeds if anyone would like some to plant (or taste). All of my plants are grown organically. When the pods are small they taste a bit like spinach. Beware though, this tree grows REALLY FAST! We have pineapples growing at the base with camellia tea and coffee and kiwi growing up the tree. This photo is from May and the tree is quite a bit larger now.

Thumbnail by mommystuff
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Vhim
Dagupan
Philippines

October 19, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7184315

hello, I am new here and I couldn't post at the mat discussion, luckily I found this thread. I have been looking for ways to ID a certain plant in our house for years, but to no avail. This plant came from my cousin-in-law's ancestral home. It propagates easily & It is an edible plant although you will find it in their front lawn. Whenever we cook foods that call for moringa, this is what we use, and my cousin-in-law says it's a japanese variety of moringa. I've searched the net on what specie it is, but I couldn't find it. It tastes a lot like moringa, but the leaves look like that of a bird's eye chili (Capsicum frutescens) but a little bit more slender. This plant leaves' not available in any market in the Philippines as far as I know, and nobody that i know of knows what kind of plant it is. Can you please help me ID this plant that we love so much. (I often munch the leaves raw). I am going out for a while, I'll be back in a few hours. I'll take a picture of the plant & upload the pic here for identification. Thank you very much & hope someone can help me.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 19, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #7184971

Hi Vhim, please show a photo!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 19, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7186526

Hello, Vhim,

People are not always online, so do check back over a day or two for replies to a post. And a photo would be completely helpful. I'm going to 'google' Japanese Motinga now.

OK, and hoping to hear from you again! And very much hoping that you are spared from the storms!

Melissa
Vhim
Dagupan
Philippines

November 11, 2009
6:16 AM

Post #7262465

hello, sorry for the late reply. This is as good as my camphone can do. The leaves tastes much more like Pithecellobium dulce (sweet tamarind/kamachile). It never bears fruits, just flowers, propagates easily. I will upload a pic of the entire plant in my next message

Thumbnail by Vhim

Vhim
Dagupan
Philippines

November 11, 2009
6:23 AM

Post #7262475

This is a pic of the entire plant, my brother-in-law said it's a "chinese moringa" which I doubt because I've searched the net for different species of moringa & never got to see anything close to it. flowers start light green or white then becomes maroon... flowers can also be eaten. It doesn't bear any fruits. Prolific plant. Can anyone ID this please? WE love this plant yet we don't know what it's really called. Our place was badly hit by the storm, flooded most of the city, but luckily, we live near the beach (far from the river), so our village was spared from the flood, just those who live near the rivers were flooded. Thank you for the concern!

Thumbnail by Vhim

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 11, 2009
6:33 AM

Post #7262487

Maybe Sauropus androgynus, Katuk.

Can you show some focused photos?
mommystuff
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7264064

This looks like Katuk to me too. I have several huge specimens on my property.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 12, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7266829

Vhim, check: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/129524/
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 12, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #7266832

And: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/137885/

Very pretty plant!! I'm so glad you posted this, now I must have one!

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 12, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #7267278

Katuk has edible leaves, flowers, and fruit. They taste great and are good raw or cooked!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 13, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7268551

Hi everyone ...I have been after a drumstick tree for ages ...I am on a waiting list here in Australia ...I am really thrilled to hear of the sweet leaf being similar as I have been lucky enough to have two plants from a swap.
If you wouldn't mind (since there seems to be little information) can you please tell me what sort of cultivation it requires and if it likes manure etc.I have them in 10" pots at the moment and am uncertain where to go from there.
Tastes and recipes etc would be very interesting for many gardeners I am sure. We are going into high summer temps here and I am unsure as how to treat the plants ...are they really trees?
If I have this does it do a good enough job that I don't need the drumstick tree.
Any information would be most appreciated.
thanks so much for the thread.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #7268626

Chrissy, I have a Drumstick Tree that has 'drum sticks' right now. Are you allowed seeds from it, or you want something bigger to start with?
Rj

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 13, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #7268806

Oh I was not hinting for seeds ...I just thought it may be very similar.
I would love some seeds if it is allowed ... I will check and get back to you.
I would still like to know about the sweet leaf if anyone can tell me about it's needs and uses.
Vhim
Dagupan
Philippines

November 13, 2009
7:15 AM

Post #7269424

Thank You very much!!!!!!!!! It is the plant!!!

BTW, our sweetleaf never bears fruit.

here's some recipe:

TINOLA
1/2 kilo chicken breasts/wings/drumstick
1 unripe papaya (or as much as you want)
julienned ginger (about 2 thumbs size)
3 cloves garlic
1 medium sized onion (sliced
oil
sweetleaf leaves ( or moringa leaves)
salt & pepper
water

saute ginger, garlic & onion in oil. when onion is translucent, put in chicken parts & sprinkle some salt & pepper.Brown chicken. When u see juices coming out from the chicken, pour water (just estimate amount if you want it more soupy). put in papaya & sweetleaf 9as much as you want).. Voila!

This message was edited Nov 13, 2009 3:27 AM
Vhim
Dagupan
Philippines

November 13, 2009
7:28 AM

Post #7269433

This is how your tinola should look... tatses better with sweetleaf bush

Thumbnail by Vhim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 13, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #7269534

That looks delicious!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 13, 2009
11:35 AM

Post #7269541

I found this information ...
http://www.newcrops.uq.edu.au/newslett/ncnl9191.htm
thanks everyone for a great thread.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 13, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #7270883

I wrote to Flora Exotica (Montreal, Quebec) listed as a supplier, and the man wrote back that they'll have plants to ship in May 2010.
stellamarina
Laie, HI

November 14, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #7271704

Yes...I agree that Vhims plant is Katuk or sweet leaf...or Pak Wahn which is the name that was first given to me... Yet another wonderful lazy tropical vegetable gardeners plant. I love the leaves raw in salads or thrown into a pasta meal at the last stage so they are just made to go limp. Have a taste like snow peas. Metro...I have never seen fruit on a plant before...what do you have pollinating them? This is another plant that needs a regular hard trim to get lots of new growth for eating. A lady down the road has a fence line of it. I have also found that this plant will do ok in semi shade...a forest plant.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 14, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #7272985

You lost me, Vhims recipe sounds great but I would saute the chicken with low sodium soy sauce to give the meat color. Instead of papaya which is very pricey in the US You can use Italian squash, or chayote which are plenty in the oriental market. the veggie in Vhims recipe is not moringa, I had never seen katuk but the next time I go to the oriental market I will certainly look for them and try them. Do you think it will be called katuk?I had not seen moringa fresh here but we have plenty of frozen ones and are very cheap. They are called horse radish leaves. Belle

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 14, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7273602

You probably won't find Sauropus androgynus, Katuk / Phak Waan / Binahian in any market. To eat it you will need to grow it; the leaves need to be eaten soon after they are picked off the plant.

It grows easily from cuttings or by seed.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 14, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7273672

Is this a vine or a tree? Now if I check on ebay what am i looking for? All the 3 names. i will do it right now and will let you know. thank you, Belle

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 14, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7273748

It is a small tree or shrub.

To locate the plant, google Sauropus androgynus. There are several nurseries selling the plant.

Be careful about over-consumption of the plant as it can cause medical problems. It should be a dietary supplement, rather than a staple food.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 14, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7273783

What kind of medical problems? I am a nurse ( R.N.) so I need to know. Belle

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

November 14, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7273807

Bronchiolitis, Lung Injury.

People who have made Sauropus androgynus leaves a large part of their diet have suffered this.

Eating the plant a couple times a week will cause no harm.

You can find out more by googling: Sauropus androgynus.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 14, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #7273914

Thank you!!!
Vhim
Dagupan
Philippines

November 18, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #7284680

belle, substituting salt with soy sauce will entirely change the flavor of the tinola, you may use fish sauce instead (filipinos call it "patis"), no other than salt or patis...instead of papaya, you can use chayote instead, or maybe squash. Moringa leaves is what's really used in this recipe but we use the sweet leaf instead.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 18, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7285034

I grow chokos (chayote) here.
I am curious as to what the Moringa flowers you bought taste like. Could you please let us know?Molamola :-)
I am also wondering if it is called the Horseradish tree is it because the parts you eat are very hot.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 18, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7286659

I tried eating the flowers straight, raw, and they were too strong. I didn't make tea like the folks here said. I'll try again when I can get them very fresh off a tree myself. I think I found a tree on the side of the road...

Horseradish is the root, I think.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 18, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7287725

Molamola,
The English name of moringa is horseradish leaf. I buy it at the oriental grocery store . The horseradish root is the strong root that i buy prepared for roast beef. I had not eaten moringa flowers, I think it has to be cooked.
chrissy,
I love chayote, it is a 1$ for a fruit here. In fact they are in season right now, they are fall crops. We used to plant them and had hundreds of fruits but the squirrels develop[ed a liking for them and so I stopped planting them. I cook it with sti rfries, or with soups. We eat the peel if they are young and tender. DH just microwave it with butter.
Vhim,
I would just add a little bit of soy sauce with your recipe only because I can not satnd wings that are pale.
Metsodi,
I found a nursery selling katuk but I had not ordered, will probably order next spring. Belle

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 11:49 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 18, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7287783

I cook the choko in the micro wave (prick it first ) let it cool down (this great for the bigger ones) then peel the skin off and slice about an inch thick ...I then toss them in olive oil and place them in a pan with a few cloves of garlic ...a sprinkle of salt and pepper and roast about ten minutes on each side. Remove and splash a few drops of Balsmamic vinegar over them and and put them back in for another few mins or until the slices caramalise, it's beautiful!
You can add these slices to a pan of roasted veggies too, for the last half an hour of cooking as they absorb the flavours of the other veggies.
My Indian born in laws love to do the chokos curried.
My Italian in laws love it done the way I mentioned.
As a child our mum would throw them into stews and baked dinners as well as cooking them up (fine diced) with either apples or pinapples with lemon juice and sugar for pie fillings ...you couldn't tell the difference ... she had 7 children to feed. I note they do cost a fortune these days.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 19, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #7289046

Chrissy,
Your recipe sounds good!!! I will try the baked one. I also made some chutney with chayote and mango using the standard recipe for chutney. It was delicious. Have to soak the thinly diced chayote in brine so it does not get mushy. One of my friends eat the seed and we tried it and it is good!!! Do you also eat the seed? Belle
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 19, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7289830

I eat the seed. Once and only once I had a Chaote, Christophene that was a pale yellow, and tasted like the sweetest of sweet corn. I'm just starting one to grow that the fruit was about 1 1/2 pounds, huge!! I'm expecting a thirty foot, ten meter vine, so a place to plant it in the ground is a challenge. I dice them and put in a salad.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 19, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #7290354

I enjoy the starchy seed cooked ...and I love choko pickles too.
I have the "white choko" a very pale one with no prickles. It comes back every year so far and I give hundreds away to the family, it's a fabulous underated food. I say if you have the room (I am on 16 acres) plant one and enjoy, all it takes is a fruit from the supermarket ...plant that. :-)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 19, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7290495

Yes the seeds are wonderful but most of my friends throw it. 16 acres !!! Must be nice!!. You can plant anything you like!! Unlike ours it is barely .50 acres which is enough because my husband will not have time ti take care of a bigger lot. He plays golf almost everyday since he retired.We were in Melbourne foe 5 days last Jan this year and it is a beautiful country. I like to go back to Sydney next time. Belle
Konagirl
Kailua Kona, HI

December 29, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #7407051

There is a sustainable farming/ranching operation here in Kona called Waiaha Ranch where they are experimenting with growing moringa and many other useful plants at about an average 1000 foot elevation on the Big Island. They have a website, so it may be possible to contact them for information about their success with it.
Also the Bodyshop stores have a line of lotions etc. using moringa as an ingredient.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 30, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #7408087

My sweet leaf is popping out little maroon blooms does anyone know if they set seeds? (the blooms I mean)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 30, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #7408980

This is a most interesting thread!!!
i haven't heard about any of these plants, and i am green with envy... lol
Vhim, i want to welcome you to this forum, and i hope to see you post often. i am not here that long myself, and i have learned that everyone here are absolutely wonderful and helpful people!
isaac

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

December 30, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #7410961

Sauropus androgynus, Katuk does set fruit and make seed which easily grow!

The leaves, flowers, and fruit are edible and delicious!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 31, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #7411895

Thankyou :-)

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

December 31, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7412068

You're very welcome Chrissy!

Aloha, Dave

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America