Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: WHAT'S The DEAL????!! With Oriental poppies?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 33, Views: 268
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7109192

Okkkkkkk... Now I have a question and some words.

Why are Oriental Poppies so hard to transplant?

I have a Oriental Poppy which is growing in a gallon pot. It seems to be extremely happy and is growing fast and strong. I have offered this plant to several people who WANT them but tell me No it will only die!

KIM DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THIS

I don't have plants that "Just Die" therefore are yall telling me.. If I decide to keep this plant, put it in the ground, that it will die because they are not easy to transplant? I'm going to keep it, get them rest of them that my friends at the garden center are brutally killing, plant them and put them to the test. This one particular plant looks NOTHING like it did when I rescued it from the garden center. It is Huge, Healthy, and growing profusely. Going to plant it to see if it "Just Dies"

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7109267

Oriental poppies HIGHLY resent transplanting. Same with old lupines.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #7109277

wow!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7109314

I believe Foxtail Lilies fall into the same category. They develop strong and long tap roots so they have to be planted where we want them to grow forever and we gardeners tend to change our minds a bit more often than we might tend to acknowledge or think the plant would go better somewhere else. Such is the life and experiences of almost anyone who gardens.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7109324

Ok...now that is understandable. But this plant is is the same pot it was in since a seedling. So How will it just die when it's placed in the ground?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #7109329

No. That just counts as planting and not re-planting (aka digging up and moving).

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7109354

Their roots dont like to be disturbed.
I have had SOME (not100%) luck transplanting when the plant is dormant in August when it turns brown and looks dead.
If the new crown starts to grow in September you have succeeded.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7109375

hmmm ok. So Wherever I plant it it better be the place I want it to live forever??!! LOL. Well I can't make anyone take this plant but I have heard several people say.. No Thanks it will die..

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7109397

Yes, isn't that annoying? You're bound to find the ideal spot a week after you plant it elsewhere!

There's no reason for the plant to die when you plant it correctly, provided it's alive and well right now. The reason people re-think the location is because it dies down after bloom (generally the end of May here) and you're left with a vacancy the rest of the year but that's really no different than a bare spot from daffodils or tulips.

Try marking the boundaries (golf tees are inexpensive and so are little rocks/stones) of the poppy. You could still use a pencil to make holes for coleus cuttings that will fill in the bare spot over summer and won't hurt the poppy.

Feeling better?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7109420

ge1836 Okkk something else...You said "Dormant in August" Therefore is mine suppose to be dormant now? I just went outside and snapped this pic. This is the plant

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #7109422

Thanks pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7109747

That looks like the new crown.I woulnt chance it. but I'm chicken when it comes to fussy plants
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7109761

I do know you didn't ask me but I'd plant it.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7110108

Right...I'm sooo confused! I just left my favorite plant store and he said I could have anything for half off. There was a gorgeous oriental poppy ..."Pink Ruffles". Left it there because yall scared me to death! ha ha. How can you not plant the potted plant before winter? So are you saying when I take it out the nursery pot it will still put up a fight?

What's the "new crown" thing? It never went dormant. It just keeps growing and getting bigger.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2009 3:19 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #7110115

I've never had one that didn't go dormant immediately after bloom. Maybe you have a way with them!

Go ahead and plant it. Let us know how it blooms for you next spring. I have no doubt that it will.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #7110122

I've never seen it bloom. They bloom the second year from seed? I don't believe this plant has ever bloomed yet.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #7110329

The second year is the time they bloom then annually after that.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7112069

Kim, when they've been grown in a nursery pot, they'll transplant since the roots don't need to be disturbed. It's moving established plants that folks have trouble with, like many tap root plants that resent being disturbed. Its typical for Oriental Poppies to break dormancy in fall and produce a rosette of foliage, which is what you're seeing on yours now. The thing I've never understood is the companies that sell the bare root tap roots; guess it makes sense that it would work while they're dormant, but I've never tried it.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #7112098

I have transplanted poppies and always tell people just because it looks like it died give it a chance,they seem to come back when you least expect it. I once had one wait a whole year before it returned ?? they are indeed finicky.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #7112305

Ok well I read some info on the 'Fancy Feathers' Oriental Poppy. I have this one...It says that this variety after blooming doesn't loose it's foliage. This one is HUGE in the nursery pot. and yes I do see an enormous amount of root. So I guess time will tell...ha ha! Plants seem to like me. This will be the first time I will have Oriental poppies in my garden. I grew lots from seeds and wasn't impressed with them even after they flowered.

But there is a place down the street...Every year masses of red Oriental poppies are there every year. They put on such a show I said, "I'm gonna get me some of those!"
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #7112365

The only other problem...when they are gone they are gone. Then the show is gone! What can I plant closely around them, to still have color for the later months? The place where the poppies are go bare after this show happens every year.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #7112414

Hmmm...I wonder about some Lilies, perhaps Orientals or OTs that bloom in mid/late summer? Some low, self seeding annuals would be nice too. Seems every gardening book out there recommends perennial Baby's Breath to fill in the gaps, which works well.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #7112516

Ahhhh I love Gypsophila! Will start some of them. I have some Achillea 'The Pearl' seeds..maybe those too? Or something low growing?
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7112590

I have annual balsam that reseeds in the place where my poppies are in the spring. The poppies die down then the balsam pop up.
NorthernSeasons
Bozeman, MT
(Zone 4b)

September 30, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #7120545

Kim--Orientals grow wild here. What kills many of them in the east is that the soil is too rich. They do best in very poor soil especially alkaline. They can handle clay or sand but perfer sandy soil. Good luck.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7120894

Ahhhhh ...I do have pretty rich soil.
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

October 24, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #7204438

Kim,

I live in Pittsburgh and I have Oriental Poppies, which I bought from a nursery in pots, I planted them and they bloomed the next year. I also bought some bare root plants, and maybe 1 out of 6 grew into tiny plants and did not bloom the next year. Fancy Feathers is beautiful!!!! I hope you bought it.

I also dug up an old clump of orange poppies and gave them to my friend. The plant grew and bloomed for her, and the area where I dug them up grew a new plant that bloomed the next year.

I would not be afraid to try any plant as long as it is near your zone.

I have a huge clump of Black and Blue Sage that comes up every year in my yard. It is a zone 6 or 7 plant, and I do not give it any protection. Mother Nature surprises you often, so try to grow whatever interests you.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #7204488

Thank you so much! That gives me lots of hope. I have been putting a lot of plants to the test. Both Poppies are still green right now! And are still growing leaves. They are HUGE. Yes, I bought the Fancy Feathers..Thanks for the Black and Blue Salvia info. I have that and think it is absolutely gorgeous. I read in PF how invasive it is. That plant CAN TAKE OVER!!! I love every bit of it. Here I was... terrified to leave it outside this winter.

My plants give me so much Joy and forever shocking...Sometimes I get discouraged when I hear people have so many problems with plants around here. Everything I have grows :-) For as long as I can remember I have NEVER had a plant just die. If one has I must have done something terribly wrong to it. I still can't remember having a plant that just down right didn't make it.

I'm going to try some new things this year which I've never done and see if I'm succesful..
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #7204629

My experience in gardening has taught me there are few absolute rules that must be obeyed for success. I've planted clematis in holes no deeper than 6" at the base of a tree that's grown in width by at least a foot and still the clematis thrives. Dahlias can die if we get too much rain in June (only one out of 35 died) and then there are plants we're led to believe must have some shade but our hosta Plantaginea was in full, hot, relentless sun and thrived so much we had to move it.

As long as you're willing to try new plants/new locations the choices are almost endless.

Compost is our best friend.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #7206019

I have lilies planted behind OP's but by the end of July the show is over.
There are some Campanula Sorastro's in there that are still blooming just not as profusly.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #7206303

Wow! Nice
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #7791620

Update on this Poppy...
Left it outside all winter in the same pot.
6 weeks ago planted little pieces (2 leaves) in other places...I disturbed the roots (didn't have much root on some pieces) Placed them in the ground mulched around them and the now are big and have grown into new plants..

Don't know when they'll bloom but they sure aren't dead

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2010
1:38 AM

Post #7791645

Yippeee.All the moving done while the plant was asleep.
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #7801164

I just found this thread. I can't kill any poppies. I actually rip them out like weeds, throw them in a new spot and hope they don't come back where I've removed them. They are clashing in my color scheme now. They keep coming back! Seems like if a teeny tiny piece of root is left, wall-a, you get more.
All of the ones I've thrown in new holes lived and are HUGE thriving plants as well.

Thumbnail by kcs_mom

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America