Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: Bathroom mirror

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 5, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlowerofScotland
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7109412

Can anyone tell me how to safely remove a bathroom mirror that has been glued to the wall. I'm just not sure how to start.

Thanks, Annette
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 27, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7109496

You're not likely to be able to remove it without breaking it. Assuming you just want to remove it and not keep it, here's a very effective way to accomplish that.

Take a roll of duct tape and cover the entire mirror with it overlapping by about an eight of an inch each pass. Then take a hammer and break the mirror into small pieces. Wear leather gloves when you pull at the sides of the mirror. ALMOST all of the mirror will stay attached to the duct tape which can safely be deposited into the trash. The only thing left will be the spots where the mirror was glued to the wall. Simply take a scraper and scrape the glue spots from the wall and voila! mirror removed.
FlowerofScotland
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7109734

Great advice. I should of thought of duct tape...my son uses it for just about everything :)

Thank you.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

September 29, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7116847

Hope you haven't destroyed the mirror yet.

Some monofiliment - heavy duty - can be used to saw through the mastic that was used to attach the mirror.
Saw this on DIY channel.

I would probably use the .080 I use in the string trimmer and get an assistant to work one end - like loggers used to use 2-man saws.

The tape is a good idea to hold things together if you break it.
FlowerofScotland
North Port, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7116882

THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD WORK TOO AND I COULD DUCT TAPE ALSO JUST IN CASE IT BREAKS.

THANKS, ANNETTE
daugenet
Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #7174858

a couple other suggestion i have are

If you are going to bust the mirror you can use some contact paper and cover the mirror and then break it

If you want to try and pull it off you could try using a head gun to heat the mirror and melt the adhesive.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America