Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Koi, snakes, plants, animals; what's in your pond?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 15, Views: 383
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mygardens
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7109506

What's in your water garden or pond? I am interested in finding new plants and inhabitants for our pond or discussing those I have. I thought some photos might help. I know a lot of people have koi so I will start with mine - just the plain garden variety, except for the size; 25+/-lbs!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2009 9:57 AM

Thumbnail by mygardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7112564

Wow...awesome...how big is your pond?
helenchild
Decatur, GA

September 28, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #7113772

Wonderful fish. I can see why they are so big... with all that food floating around.
Do they hunker down at the bottom of the pond for the winter? What ever you are doing is working very well. Water is clear, fish are huge... nice work. And of course the visitor is great too.
Helen
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #7126673

When I compare them to my 5-6 lbs Chihuahua's..Wow. 25 lbs is a lot of koi. How old are they & approx how long?
mygardens
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7127194

Hello all - Our pond is about one acre. We purchased the koi to clear up an algae problem and have added a few recently in case they start dying off. The person who sells them said he had never seen them so big because his hatchery is comparatively small. He said that the larger the pond, the more potential for larger fish.

Our oldest fish are about 13 years old. The pond is 13 feet at its deepest and yes, they do overwinter at the bottom of the pond. It isn't necessary to feed them as they have enough food in the pond, but we feed them some floating fish food daily, mainly for our enjoyment because they gather at the dock and are very entertaining. The goose got wind of the dinner time and came also, as well as some ducks who are more frequent guests. It also looks as if this strange animal likes the fish food too.

Thumbnail by mygardens

2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #7128097

Whoa!!! What in the world is that thing?
tootsie
Bay City, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7128701

Whoa, is right!!!! What in the world could it be??? But what a slice of HEAVEN you have there , mygardens :) I thought I had a larger pond, but nothing so wonderful as a whole acre!! I have a few acres to plant seeds and trees and stuff, but my pond is about 100 X200 when the water is full! I have had such a hard time time those darn herons :( Now I am dubbed Annie Oakely, LOL Then I saw some, well they looked like kingfishers!! Just sitting on my poles and swooping down and with their long sharp beaks, catching my smaller koi and swallowing them down like dumplings!! Oh, back to your koi, they are so sweet, like little dogs!! I bet they are so tame for you :) Can you post a few more pictures for us?
mygardens
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7142392

tootsie - I have been trying all summer to get more photos of the koi, but I have an old camera which I love but it has a delay between the focus/shoot mode and it is hard to get the fish before they have disappeared under the water. Today I tried again and was lucky to come upon this great blue heron. He was more concerned about his next meal than about me and I was able to get close enough for a photo. I hope he was not figuring he could catch a koi, but he was certainly eyeing them.

tootsie & 2vernes - I did a bit of research and found out that the 'thing' is called a pectinatella magnifica. I have some information at http://picasaweb.google.com/egm125/Friends#5378138587305878082 .

The next flower to bloom at the pond is the hybiscus in the bog area and then the swamp sunflower. I'll put some photos up when they are in bloom. What do you have planted around or visiting your pond. I need some ideas.

Thumbnail by mygardens

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7142420

This snake was in my way today. First one I have seen in my yard and hopefully the last. He better stay away from my frogs & pond.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

mygardens
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7169656

BeaHive - do you know what kind of snake that is? We encourage some snakes like this Black Rat snake because they keep down voles etc. and keep away poisonous snakes. We have water snakes, but they don't seem to bother anything except when they eat a fish or two ie: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5162912 .

Thumbnail by mygardens

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7170153

Wow,,he sure bit off more than he could chew in your link picture!! Wow what a lunch! I think we have determined that my snake is a Racer Coluber Constrictor. I have not seen him or any of his friends since that day and that is fine with me. Can you tell that I am not crazy about snakes?
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #7202796

My gardens, very, nice pictures (even that blobby thing . . .). I have a question about the first picture posted. The fish right behind the duck, does it's stomach look unusually desended or is that what a 25 pound fish should look like??

Do you have filtration on this pond (It's a naturally occurring pond-right?)

Linda
mygardens
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7208660

mothermole - Some of the koi do look as if their bellies are distended, but they look bigger than the one you mention. In general, all these fish look big. No, the pond is not filtered. It was like pea soup when we bought the property, but the koi and carp keep it clean.

Here is another recent visitor.

Thumbnail by mygardens

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7210438

Thanks for the response. This must be the way koi are supposed to look is they have the room to expand their bellies!
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2009
10:27 AM

Post #7223093

I also have Gators in my pond, the largest we have seen was about 14 feet, --so I don't go out there during breeding season, --but there is also Cat Fish, Koi, Tilapia, Gar, Shiners, and Bass, and of course Water Moccisins--the pond is less than an acre, but conected to a 20 acre swamp, that leads to a major river so I never know what may show up out there
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

December 3, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #7330068

Waldon never had it so good!
thomas

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America