Photo by Melody

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Mimosa trees - trash or treasure?

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 0, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lfunnyfarm
Buford, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #7112150

We had a mimosa tree until earlier this year. Unlike many of those seen in this area (just north of Atlanta) that are scraggly or bushy messes, this fifteen year old specimen had a beautiful shape, its 6' tall trunk ending like an upturned hand in branches that extended about 15'. The blooms on this tree were a light pink with a strong fragrance. I loved it!
With that said, mimosas are very messy when shedding spent flowers and seedpods. Our tree was constantly losing branches due to the brittleness of the wood. And Dear God, did it make babies all over the place!!!!! And unlike many prolific seeders, mimosas have a tap root. If you don't get the babies when they are small, they can be very difficult to remove, even with a smaller seedling (say 1-3').
This year, the mimosa was late in leafing out and when we started into our normal very dry summer, it gave up the ghost. It exuded a very foul smelling liquid as it died.
All in all, I will probably plant another mimosa but it will be in the back yard or pasture so it doesn't cause as many problems :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America