Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu): Camptotheca acuminata

Communities > Forums > Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)Replies: 1, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
onsmith
Carlyss, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7112240

Sulphur, LA (9A)
About 6 years ago I originally planted the newly purchased 5' Happy Tree, ( ~30 feet from a live oak tree) on the fringe of the "live-oak sand knolll", the Happy Tree hardly grew in 2 years. So I moved the tree to a moist location by the pond with full sun and better soil. The tree responded by growing 3 - 5' per year the past 3 years and is now ~20' and has bloomed this past spring/summer. Flower are not very noticeable but the tree is a nice straight form with pretty leaves.. I have noted no insect or disease issues to this date.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #7114167

I'm glad to hear the tree did so well for you! My Happy Tree remains about 5 ft tall. We had a particularly cold winter here last season with sustained temperatures around 20 F for several nights. The Happy Tree came through o.k. and is still growing, but not very quickly. I may need to move it to a wetter spot. If I can get my bog garden built anytime soon, it could go there.

Thanks for your reply to the article!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jeremy always a delight! "Happy Tree" chrissy100 5 Nov 6, 2007 1:57 AM
happy tree WELLSDRY 4 Oct 5, 2009 11:06 PM
happy tree lavender49 1 Sep 29, 2009 12:59 PM
Happy Tree EFGeorgia1 4 Oct 3, 2009 2:24 AM
Camptotheca acuminata gibson_girl 1 Sep 30, 2009 1:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America