Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu): Camptotheca acuminata

Communities > Forums > Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)Replies: 1, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
onsmith
Carlyss, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7112240

Sulphur, LA (9A)
About 6 years ago I originally planted the newly purchased 5' Happy Tree, ( ~30 feet from a live oak tree) on the fringe of the "live-oak sand knolll", the Happy Tree hardly grew in 2 years. So I moved the tree to a moist location by the pond with full sun and better soil. The tree responded by growing 3 - 5' per year the past 3 years and is now ~20' and has bloomed this past spring/summer. Flower are not very noticeable but the tree is a nice straight form with pretty leaves.. I have noted no insect or disease issues to this date.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #7114167

I'm glad to hear the tree did so well for you! My Happy Tree remains about 5 ft tall. We had a particularly cold winter here last season with sustained temperatures around 20 F for several nights. The Happy Tree came through o.k. and is still growing, but not very quickly. I may need to move it to a wetter spot. If I can get my bog garden built anytime soon, it could go there.

Thanks for your reply to the article!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jeremy always a delight! "Happy Tree" chrissy100 5 Nov 6, 2007 1:57 AM
happy tree WELLSDRY 4 Oct 5, 2009 11:06 PM
happy tree lavender49 1 Sep 29, 2009 12:59 PM
Happy Tree EFGeorgia1 4 Oct 3, 2009 2:24 AM
Camptotheca acuminata gibson_girl 1 Sep 30, 2009 1:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America