Photo by Melody

Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu): happy tree

Communities > Forums > Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu)Replies: 4, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WELLSDRY
Delhi, LA
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #7112257

if you find out where in Louisiana this plant might be growing please let me know. I am from La. and would love to have the plant.
thanks
Dianne
onsmith
Carlyss, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7112271

Dianne,

I live 5 miles south of Sulphur, LA
onsmith
Carlyss, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #7112315

Sulphur, LA (9A)
About 6 years ago I originally planted the newly purchased 5' Happy Tree, ( ~30 feet from a live oak tree) on the fringe of the "live-oak sand knolll", the Happy Tree hardly grew in 2 years. So I moved the tree to a moist location by the pond with full sun and better soil. The tree responded by growing 3 - 5' per year the past 3 years and is now ~20' and has bloomed this past spring/summer. Flower are not very noticeable but the tree is a nice straight form with pretty leaves.. I have noted no insect or disease issues to this date.
WELLSDRY
Delhi, LA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #7138243

I live in the northeast la region. zone 8 do you think the tree would grow this far north?
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7138655

I live on the borderline of Zones 8b & 9a (winters like 8b and summers like 9a). The line shown on the USDA Zone map for NE Florida seems to run just about exactly through my back yard. LOL

We had a colder than usual winter last year with temperatures of around 20 F sustained for several hours on several nights. My C. acuminata came through the freezes with no problem. It did drop all its leaves but the thin branches did not die back and it leafed out this spring on old growth.

Based on my limited experience, I think you could probably grow C. acuminata in your area. In your Zone 8a, average winter temperatures according to the USDA map are around 10 - 15 F. You may only have those low temperatures for a few hours during most winters. If you do try to grow C. acuminata, I would suggest draping it with lots of "twinkle lights" (small Christmas tree lights that push into the sockets with two small wires) and throwing a blanket over the tree and the twinkle lights on the coldest nights. Once established and acclimated to your climate, it may come through most winters with little more than leaf drop.

Thanks for your interest!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Why is this the "Happy Tree?" (Camptotheca acuminata) (Xi Shu) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jeremy always a delight! "Happy Tree" chrissy100 5 Nov 6, 2007 1:57 AM
Camptotheca acuminata onsmith 1 Sep 28, 2009 10:49 PM
happy tree lavender49 1 Sep 29, 2009 12:59 PM
Happy Tree EFGeorgia1 4 Oct 3, 2009 2:24 AM
Camptotheca acuminata gibson_girl 1 Sep 30, 2009 1:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America