Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Tansy: tansy caution

Communities > Forums > Article: Tansy
bookmark
Forum: Article: TansyReplies: 1, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lancemg
Aylett, VA

September 28, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7112482

Another wonderful article, I try to read them all by you.
I vaguely remembered reading about tansy as being toxic and not recommended for consumption anymore, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. The article includes a section on toxicity, and lists 4 identified compounds with various effects on people and other critters. Peterson's Field Guide to Edible Plants and an herb book both recommend limiting consumption, as it may have toxic effects in larger amounts. A more thorough search would probably turn up more information, but I read enough to recommend caution when using it.
I find it interesting how many strong smelling herbs people can eat that very few other critters can, and how easy it is grow many of these with very few problems.
I also caution against its use because it is not native, highly invasive, and therefore can misplace the native vegetation and the critters that depend on the native plants. Perhaps as a foundation planting where any strays get mowed over might work, or let it fight it out with some mints and other aggressive plants.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7112839

As always you are right on all counts, Lance, and I appreciate your added information. I debated adding a caution to the article and might still, but will wait till this evening when I have thought more about it.

My goals are to bring back the historical uses of a plant, only as cultural information. I hate like everything to be so repetitive, with cautions, etc.

But you are right, and I need to add that to the article because on the net, the articles are read as subject tags, and not collectively as they are read on DG.

Thank you...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tansy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tansy sharonf1 13 Aug 18, 2012 10:09 AM
Wonderful! NEILMUIR1 2 Sep 22, 2009 1:20 PM
Just send it over here! woofie 15 Oct 3, 2009 2:33 PM
Tuesday LouC 1 Sep 22, 2009 5:29 PM
Always there hello85 3 Sep 23, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America