Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba): Pawpaw flowers

Communities > Forums > Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)Replies: 12, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ndgardens
Pittsburgh, PA

September 28, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #7112485

So far, no one mentioned the flowers. On the huge pawpaw tree in my next door neighbor's yard the flowers are violet-black, about one inch wide and cup shaped like tulip tree flowers. I think I remember the bloom time as late May. I have never seen any fruit on it but I suppose that's because it's the only pawpaw tree in the neighborhood that I know of. There is a tree full of fruit on another street about 2 miles away from here that I'm watching closely for a chance to taste it. Does anyone know if squirrels eat the fruit?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 29, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #7115051

I don't know about squirrels, but everything else in the forest waits on them. Everything deer, possuems , raccoons.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #7115252

The blooms appear before the leaves come out, and the leaves are said to be one of the latest emerging, so yes I think that might add up to May flower.
Thanks for your comments.
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

September 29, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #7117805

I have one in my backyard that is about 2 years old and about 3' tall. Planted 2 but one was cut down accidentally--just the top few leaves, and I babied it but it didn't make it. Does it have to have another one to bear? So far it hasn't bloomed--maybe next year?

My mama used to sing to me "way down yonder in the paw-paw patch." That had to be 70 years ago, but I still remember. She was from east TX. I've never seen any paw-paw trees here in south TX, but they may be here, hiding.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #7118000

Hi Bairie-
I can't say for sure you won't get fruit with just one tree. Ithink it's still kind of young to flower, but it should eventually. When it does, you can hand pollinate. You'll have to get some guidance on what to look for--when the female parts are ready VS when the male parts of another are.
Corpus Christi is pretty far down there! We visited last year. Good luck with your pawpaw but it might not like the climate down there. Thanks for sharing your pawpaw song memory!
Sally

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #7118016

OK, I had to look for it. This is cute- a young class performing the song.
http://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=2364&c=23

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7834883

I am thrilled to have seen the pawpaws in full bloom! Here's a picture taken April 30 this year in Howard County Maryland. There were tons of blooms! I'll have to get back soon to see if there are fruit set.
Actually, the flowers hang like bells so for this picture I held the stem sideways.

This message was edited May 29, 2010 6:31 AM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7834895

And here is the young foliage that same day, I almost didn't realize what it was. Most other trees were more fully leafed.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

May 28, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7837366

My young trees have been babied. Last summer I finally took off a tomatoe cage that I had sewn some thin fabric on - I removed them because the Paws paws had become to large. This spring I have one branch on each tree that survived the winter!!!!!

It is down in a little valley, where it floods now and again like it is suppose too.

Could it be that here in Ky were they grow wild they froze out???

They were healthy all last year????

I am gettin sick and tired of planting things only for the cedar rust, or some fungus feeding on them, or not coming back in the spring because of what---- a winter of typically cold - but I will admit more consective cold days than usual but not any colder.

I am quiting the garden busisness - I am sick of it I tell you - sick of it!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7838783

I feel your pain. My vegetable gardening has been more hit than miss lately. Gets to where you just want to plant the wholeplace in Autumn Joy Sedum (something that came to mind as foolproof) But that gets so boring. What would we do without two hundred different things planted?

I take it having one surviving branch does not seem like a good sign to you. I'll say a litttle prayer for them! Hey, you are Pawpaw Country, maybe you could call and talk to someone in the business.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

May 29, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7840452

Thanks Gloria for the encouagement and the pep talk. Autumn Joy sedum would not make it here, seems like what thrives with out too much fuss is fescue. The county extensition guy does drive down past us now and again. I'll see if I can't wave him down and ask him what is the deal with the Paw Paws.

I am really aggravated about the Paw Paws more than anything else, but I also lost the graft on one English Walnut I purchased from Nolin Tree farm here in Kentucky out by Green River way. They are really good and sent me just the most healthest of trees, and then to lose it.

The English walnut graft is dead, but it has come back really great from the roots.

I would say okay so be it - but I have a friend in the neighborhood that has an English walnut that produces nothing more than a little black nut the size of peas. I am going to cut them down and forget it. Why do they send us big grafted plants anyway if they are going to freeze out??

The other English walnut is a Lake I got from Starks. Well some has froze out and I cannnot make it out if it is below the graft or not. Plus three persimmon trees barely made it too.

This is what came of one blissful month of Jan three winters ago. Me sittin around dreaming big dreams and a planning ---
I mean really - if English walnut did well here then there would be a lot of them sittin in people's yards as people merrily scooped them up to sell at road side stands.

Maybe that is the problem with the Paw Paws. sitting in yards I mean. They could be more protected when surrounded by woods???? I have the material but I need something really big for a support hmmm --- oh never mind I am going to go pick my strawberries they at least have produced pretty good, but I see a few blades of fescue trying to creep in..

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #7841686

So true--that if growing some of this stuff was so easy everybody would. I've seen lots of backyard apple trees and grapevines that don't produce what you expect to see when you walk in the grocery store.
I myself am starting on a 'journey' with a homegrown peach--we'll see!

The pawpaws I know, do grow in woods. That patch I mentioned is completely enclosed within established big trees like boxelder, oaks etc. and who knows but here may be even some kind of soil microorganisms that are hard to find outside of that ecosystem. Ther are still things to be discovered out there.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

May 30, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7842112

Yes Sallyg so true indeed, much to still be discovered. Thanks for the sympathic ear!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I planted 3-are they like other Annona? zonkel 6 Sep 30, 2009 4:38 PM
I always thought pawpaw = papaya vossner 5 Sep 28, 2009 1:02 PM
Sally Come visit KY! postmandug 4 Sep 29, 2009 3:42 AM
pawpaw irony Loligo 7 Sep 28, 2009 11:30 PM
Hardy Paw Paw: Asimina Triloba BertieFox 1 Sep 29, 2009 5:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America