Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Harvest Home: The Autumnal Equinox: Modern day wiccans also celebrate

Communities > Forums > Article: Harvest Home: The Autumnal Equinox
bookmark
Forum: Article: Harvest Home: The Autumnal EquinoxReplies: 6, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chuff425
Chrisman, IL

September 28, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7112963

Mabon, (pronounced MAY-bun, MAY-bone, MAH-boon, or MAH-bawn) is the Autumn Equinox. The Autumn Equinox divides the day and night equally, and we all take a moment to pay our respects to the impending dark. We also give thanks to the waning sunlight, as we store our harvest of this year's crops. The Druids call this celebration, Mea'n Fo'mhair, and honor the The Green Man, the God of the Forest, by offering libations to trees. Offerings of ciders, wines, herbs and fertilizer are appropriate at this time. Wiccans celebrate the aging Goddess as she passes from Mother to Crone, and her consort the God as he prepares for death and re-birth.

Various other names for this Lesser Wiccan Sabbat are The Second Harvest Festival, Wine Harvest, Feast of Avalon, Equinozio di Autunno (Strega), Alben Elfed (Caledonii), or Cornucopia. The Teutonic name, Winter Finding, spans a period of time from the Sabbat to Oct. 15th, Winter's Night, which is the Norse New Year.

At this festival it is appropriate to wear all of your finery and dine and celebrate in a lavish setting. It is the drawing to and of family as we prepare for the winding down of the year at Samhain. It is a time to finish old business as we ready for a period of rest, relaxation, and reflection.

Mabon is considered a time of the Mysteries. It is a time to honor Aging Deities and the Spirit World. Considered a time of balance, it is when we stop and relax and enjoy the fruits of our personal harvests, whether they be from toiling in our gardens, working at our jobs, raising our families, or just coping with the hussle-bussle of everyday life. May your Mabon be memorable, and your hearts and spirits be filled to overflowing!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2009 11:12 AM
Ravenlyn
Pepperell, MA

September 29, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7114865

We celebrate in ritual by bringing lots of "fruits of the season" to the feet of the Goddess in thanksgiving and praise. It's great fun! And we sing "Harvest Home"...in a slightly modified version.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 9, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7149729

So the mother to crone??? Is that where the traditional old witch so popular characterized flying across the moon on her broom stick at Halloween came from ?

LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7150002

It's a very old triad, probably goes back to the Bronze Age: maiden, mother, crone, 3 faces of the goddess.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 9, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7150068

Thank You L. Tilton
How interesting!
I always wondered about the old witch for Halloween.
I was listening to some educational program not to long ago, and the Roman Empire always claimed that Europe was savages, but the truth was they were rather advanced and organized enough to keep the Romans at bay. They even found three golden cone shaped hats (witches hats, do you think!) buried through out Europe, with very sopisticated calendars of the seasons engraved on them.
A triad, three faces, I never knew!
Do you know anything about the picture on this article of the fall looking, leafy man?
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #7152326

The painting is by Giuseppi Arcimbaldo. Most of his work was portraits composed of vegetables like that. He did all the seasons.

Here is a link to his work:
http://www.giuseppe-arcimboldo.org/
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 9, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #7152791

Thanks for providing the link! I enjoyed them, and they are the wildest things I have ever seen!
I have seen the autumn man before, but none of the rest. Autumn is my favorite, but I really liked all of the springs, and reclining or sitting summer, and both of the winters (head and full body) Thank You again for going to all that trouble to tell me and give me the link.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2009 6:23 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Harvest Home: The Autumnal Equinox Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And now we dance! dahlianut 4 Sep 23, 2009 2:22 AM
Thanksgiving. irisMA 0 Sep 22, 2009 7:03 PM
Great Information! zhinusmom 0 Sep 23, 2009 3:06 AM
Harvest Home? tufe 0 Sep 29, 2009 12:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America