Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: Taaa-Daaaa! Honey!

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 1, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

September 28, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7113731

We harvested honey this weekend and from two and a half hives (sadly one has no queen) we got almost 5 gallons of honey. Last year we only got 6 pints. When we were harvesting, we noticed some dark thick honey that we believe was left from last year.

Earlier this spring we made maple syrup outside in a turkey fryer and we noticed the bees were always hanging around the pot and the buckets. One of the hives had a very slight maple flavor.

The whole house still smells of honey and we are sticking to everything, our goal next year is to find or make some sort of extractor. It's getting to be too much honey to do with a rubber spatula and cookie sheets. We had bags of honey comb hanging all over the kitchen while they drained.

batflower

batflower
Murray River, PE
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #7127815

congrats! I love when the whole house smells like honey!

for an extractor, 3 people I know all needed one as well, so we all pitched in together and got one to share. After one season the other 3 realized they didn't have the time to extract so I now keep the extractor and prepare honey for all 4 of us (I charge them half their crop)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America