Photo by Melody

Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba): planted pawpaw and mango grafted pawpaw

Communities > Forums > Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)Replies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mjefferson96
Duluth, GA

September 29, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7116407

Thanks for the article Sally! I'm in Atlanta and I planted a KY cultivar pawpaw and 2 mango grafted pawpaw 2 years ago. The non grafted pawpaw is over 7 feet and doing great in mostly shade, just a little morning sun. The mango-grafted pawpaws are about 14 inches high and not growing well at all, they get a little more sun than the other. Not sure what will help them. I've done the same things for each, compost and fertilzer, as well as harpin protein. So I guess its just the root stock thats holding back the mango grafted ones. I am thinking of planting another regular pawpaw just so that I will be sure to have cross pollination once it starts to flower, hopefully next year. I have seen some of the newer PA pawpaw claiming to have a sweeter variety. Ironically the pawpaw that is doing so well I bought from ebay :-) Can't wait to taste them! I love to try new plants, especially edible ones. Got any suggestions for other interesting edibles?

MJ

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7116774

Hi MJ- Thanks for telling us about your pawpaws! You better remember that great eBay seller who sold you a good pawpaw.
This article by darius
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1232/
talks about some unusual fruits. Then, if you take the link to see the list of her articles, you'll find more uncommon edibles. That's one writer who comes to my mind right away. But also check into the tags at the bottom of the articles to see where else they lead.
Off the bat, I have just grown and eaten Edamame soybeans for the first time and was pretty happy with them! Eating them is kind of like 'peanuts "lite"'- a little salty and a little nutty. I to plan to write an article sometime.
Thanks for reading!
Sally
anneinfla
Orlando, FL

September 30, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7119811

Responding to your "off the bat", we can buy Edamame soybeans in the freezer section of the grocery here in Florida. I remember my mother making succotash with corn and lima beans, but I always found the limas to be unappealingly mealy. So I substituted the Edamame, and it was great. Sauteed the corn (thawed from frozen bag) with some finely chopped onion until a little bit browned to caramelize both, added the edamame, salt, pepper and a bit of cumin, and it was great!
My dad, born and raised in KY, used to love pawpaws, and would take us out into the woods to find them in season. I can't remember the flavor, though - maybe dad ate them all!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7122253

Hi annie~~
mm that sounds good! I used to not like limas either. I will look for frozen edamames here.
KY seems to be about the heartland of pawpaw.
Glad you chimed in!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I planted 3-are they like other Annona? zonkel 6 Sep 30, 2009 4:38 PM
I always thought pawpaw = papaya vossner 5 Sep 28, 2009 1:02 PM
Sally Come visit KY! postmandug 4 Sep 29, 2009 3:42 AM
pawpaw irony Loligo 7 Sep 28, 2009 11:30 PM
Pawpaw flowers ndgardens 12 May 30, 2010 7:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America