Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Mimosa's in TN-memories meet reality

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 0, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gingham_farms
Brentwood, TN

September 29, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #7117868

Mimosa trees trees are a nuisance or weed tree here in TN. I think they have been placed on a not to be sold plant list for Nurseries from the state of TN, but I'm not certain when it is supposed to go into affect.

I both love and hate Mimosa. I grew up with the heavy sweat smell of the Mimosa in the moist damp air of the morning or late afternoon. And growing up I thought I would love to have one in my yard. I moved into my current home 3 years ago and their was a Mimosa at the rear corner of the house, sadly it was to close to the foundation. So we cut it down and now 3 years later it sends up multiple suckers that I cut back every year and am in dire need of using stump killer to finish off. Every time I disturb the dirt in my yard I inevitably have a multitude of seedlings. So it is a nuisance but really my silver maple also makes a huge mess. Maybe it's not the tree for everyone and it may not be a tree to plant close to natural waterways but with care maybe there is a place for this lovely tree in our yards and hearts. I think what is needed a sterile cultivar.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America