Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Pests and Diseases: dead animal under deck?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 1, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7118039

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with a possible dead animal under our deck. We have been getting a terrible odor under our deck for the last week. There has been a rat problem in the neighborhood for a few months, caused by nearby restaurants. The neighbors have gotten rat poison from the city, and it is totally used up in their yards. I went and got some, and there is none gone. We haven't seen a rat or mouse in years on our property, and there are no droppings anywhere. We were hoping for a remedy to get rid of the smell. I have removed two boards of the deck already, but can't see anything. Any suggestions for the smell would be gratefully accepted. Thanks so much!!!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #7118287

It's definitely possible that a rat/mouse could have eaten poison in your neighbor's yard and then died under your deck...that's one of the problems with poison since they don't die instantly and you can't control where they're going to go die. Unfortunately the quickest way to get rid of the smell is to find a way to get in under the deck and get it out, there's nothing that's going to do a great job of getting rid of the odor as long as the animal is under there still rotting. Or if you'd have to rip up your whole deck to find it, maybe being patient and putting up with not using the deck for a while until it finishes rotting would be easier.

I don't know how easy it would be to convince the people in your neighborhood to change how they're managing the rodent problem, but traps would probably be better than poison. That way you don't wind up with them dying under decks, inside walls, etc where they stink, and also there's no risk of accidentally poisoning someone's pet who either finds the rat poison lying around in someone's yard or takes a bite out of a rodent who's already eaten the poison.

You cannot post until you register and login.


Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America