AuthorContent

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2001
10:17 PM

Post #14199

These were sent to me as cuttings early in the summer.I rooted them but still have no clue what they are.Does anyone recognize this plant.I posted a picture a while ago but they were still small.Hope now that they're bigger someone will know what it is.Was told it gets a large creamy white flower early in the year.And its a vine.

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NewPenny
Bellingham, WA

September 24, 2001
2:42 AM

Post #133237

Are they Coffee plants?
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2001
6:58 AM

Post #133294

It has been years since I saw one but it reminds me of a camilia.
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

September 24, 2001
6:01 PM

Post #133566

Not a coffee Maybé a magnolia?

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2001
6:30 PM

Post #133593

It came from California.The trader said its a vine and the peice she sent me was long and rope like.I cut it into chunks and rooted them,these are the three that made it through my rooting attemmt.She sent a flower along with it it was large ,almost brug looking although it(the flower) was in pretty bad shape when it got to me.She said she has seen it growing wild in the hills.Thats where she got the cutting from.The leaves don't look like my camellia,is there a magnolia vine?The leaves are shiney,and thick.Are coffee plants a vine?
perLite
Petaluma, CA

September 25, 2001
5:26 PM

Post #134207

This must be a very tropical vine. It certainly looks like Magnolia grandiflora to me, but that's not a vine... I'm really intrigued by this one! Wish I could help.
This story sounds familiar. Did you post this before?
GrannyLois
Elizabethton (Stoney, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2001
10:03 PM

Post #134414

Mandevilla?
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2001
7:18 AM

Post #134660

this is the closest i could come across to ur mystery vine http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Asclepiadaceae/Cryptostegia_grandiflora.html
hope that help some... ma vie rose

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2001
12:25 PM

Post #134715

There IS a "magnolia vine" (Schisandra spp.) Here's a photo - comparing the two, I doubt this is what this is, even if it's a different species than the one pictured: http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/mag/schch40/

Your plant does look like a magnolia, though. How tall is it, and how big are the leaves?
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2001
9:02 PM

Post #134947

What color was the flower, and can you descripe it's shape? How does it compare to the pic of the India Rubber Plant? Did she tell you how much cold it could take, etc? I sure hope you figureour what it is---it's pretty!

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2001
9:13 PM

Post #135497

You guys are the greatest for all trying to help me.Yes, I had posted this before when the cuttings were very small.No one had a clue so I waited till they got larger .I mailed the links to the trader who sent them to me,and she said that the plant and flower are alot more "spectacular" than the india rubber,I was really hopefull.She said the flower is at least 8" across and white.She said it's very showy and has always wanted one,but never got one to root.PLEASE!!! Can anyone else help.The leaves are kinda magnolia looking.Very shiny,not as thick as a magnolia. It must bloom in june 'cause thats when I received the trade.And you people are the best!!!!
Sis

September 27, 2001
10:19 PM

Post #135532

Looks like a magnolia to me'
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2001
12:47 AM

Post #135586

Could it be an Allamanda?
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2001
1:58 AM

Post #135626

in all probability u have a clematis plant. check this site http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/clematis_hybrida.html http://www.clematis.org/clematis_a-z/index.html?action=view&ID=00027 hope that help some :). ma vie rose

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 27th 10:16 PM
perLite
Petaluma, CA

September 28, 2001
5:22 AM

Post #135720

whoops. Came up with two copies when I thought I was editing...

This message was edited Friday, Sep 28th 1:35 AM
perLite
Petaluma, CA

September 28, 2001
5:34 AM

Post #135722

I've never seen a Clematis with leaves like that, or without a compound leaf.
Mandevilla may be close, some of them do have shiny leaves, but the nodes don't look quite right and I think the leaves should be opposite.
The red at the growing tip should give us a clue, but I'm not coming up with anything...
SAY! Try this: (From Sunset's Western Garden Book)
Beaumontia grandiflora, or Herald's Trumpet...
"Climbs by arching, semitwining branches to as much as 30 ft and spreads as wide. Large, dark green, 6-9in... leaves, smooth and shiny above, slightly downy beneath, furnish lush tropical look. From April until September, bears trumpet-shaped, 5-in. long, green-veined, fragrant white flowers that look like Easter lilies... Needs deep, rich soil, ample water, and heavy feeding. Prune after flowering to keep it in scale, but preserve good proportion of 2 and 3 year old wood; flowers are not bourne on new growth. ... hardy to 28degrees F.
I'll see if I can find a link and add it later... HTH, perL

http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant_Pages/beaumontia_grandiflora.htm

say, looks like it worked...!
Now, if only this is the plant...

MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2001
6:19 AM

Post #135730

How big are your plaants now? From your description, I too think it sounds like Beaumontia. How many cuttings rooted, out of how many total? No matter what they are, I'm sure I'd like to try them once they get big enough to take cuttings from. Anything with a tumpet-shaped flower makes me want it. Wonder if I could grow it climbing up the brugmansia I lug inside every winter?

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2001
12:12 PM

Post #135804

The trader said she thinks it might be Solandra Maxima.She had told me the flower was white,but most of the discriptions say that it fades to cream.the leaves on the one at this site look the closest. Heres the discription.The funnny part is that its related to brugs and daturas.I don't know how to get the picture to come up on here

Solandra maxima
Family: Styracaceae (storax or silverbells family)
Common Names: chalice vine, cup of gold, goldcup vine, golden chalice vine

Description
Cup of gold, sometimes called chalice vine, is a heavy, thick stemmed tropical liana with large shiny leaves and large bell shaped golden yellow flowers. The thick and woody ropelike stems branch frequently and root at their nodes, and can run for more than 200', clinging with aerial rootlets and scrambling over everything in the way. The evergreen leaves are leathery, about 6" long and elliptic, with prominent lighter colored midribs and lateral veins. The flowers are truly spectacular, shaped like a chalice, 6-10" long, flaring open to 4-7" across. The five lobes of the corolla are reflexed, and each lobe is marked with a narrow purplish brown ridge on the inside. The flowers start out yellow and turn deeper golden as they age. They are fragrant, especially at night, with a scent reminiscent of coconut. Cup of gold blooms intermittently through the year, but mainly in the winter dry season. The fruits, rarely seen in cultivation, are round berries, about 2" in diameter.

There are eight species of chalice vines, and they often are confused in the trade. Solandra maxima is the most common species in cultivation and vines offered as S. guttata and S. grandiflora may in fact be this one. The differences are subtle.

Solandra maxima is native to Mexico, Central America and northern South America. Other species occur in the West Indies.

Culture
Cup of gold is a fast growing vine that thrives in most any well-drained soil. It tolerates severe pruning and blooms on new growth, so it can be cut back at any time of year. This is a heavy vine, and it requires a very sturdy support.
Light: Cup of gold thrives in full sun to partial shade.
Moisture: Cup of gold grows best with regular watering, but blooms best when water is withheld. Let the vine grow for a while, producing vigorous new shoots, then withhold water until the leaves begin to wilt.
Hardiness: USDA Zones 10 - 11.
Propagation: Cup of gold usually is propagated from stem cuttings taken in summer and rooted with bottom heat.

Usage
Cup of gold is often grown on large pergolas or trellises, or trained to grow up the side of a house where the spectacular flowers can spill down the walls over windows and doorways. Tolerant of salt spray and salty soils, all the chalice vines are excellent for seaside gardens. This is a large, rampant grower which requires plenty of space and a strong support.

Features
The chalice vines are related to the angel trumpets (Datura spp. and Brugmansia spp.), and like them, have hallucinogenic properties. They are used in sacred ceremonies in Mexico.

WARNING
The flowers, and probably all parts, of chalice vines are poisonous.

sc 12/15/00

Copyright 1996 - 2001
Floridata.com L.C.
Main Menu

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2001
1:53 PM

Post #135855

Here's a link to a photo with more foliage included for comparison: http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Solanaceae/Solandra_maxima.html

And another one: http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/hortweeds/species/solmax.htm

Very pretty - one source mentioned the flowers have a coconut scent. Enjoy!!!!

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2001
2:45 PM

Post #135883

Thats definitly it!!The second link even shows the red color on the leaves!!!Whoa,how the heck am I going to grow that in the house all winter?Wonder if it will bloom???Thanks guys,as I have said before YOU ARE THE BEST!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2001
5:43 AM

Post #136306

Ha! Aren't these guys AWESOME?! Boy, be glad you're not in Hawaii, huh? It's one of their most invasive plants according to that one link Go_Vols gave!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2001
12:35 PM

Post #136365

Yeah, I noticed that, too Kim. But I think Hawaii has very tough standards for invasiveness because they have such ideal growing conditions. No "old man winter" to nip growth on vigorous growers, unlike where you and I live :)

Ditto for parts of Florida and California. Those folks have a year-round hothouse environment where just about everything will flourish - a two-edged sword of sorts.

This does raise the issue of trading across state lines. Responsible gardeners won't ask for invasive plants or seeds if they live in areas where a plant's rampant growth may wreak havoc. If there's any doubt, do a websearch before finalizing a trade. Every state has a website with a list of "noxious and invasive plants" that shouldn't be sent there.
chazparas
Haverhill, MA
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2001
2:19 AM

Post #136699

crestedchik, I have had a chalice vine in a pot since 1990, grown from a cutting. If confined to a pot the growth will keep in check. it is about 4 feet tall flowers every november to december. It bloomed the second year after rooting. I rooted it in water. The flowers are large and chalice shaped the scent is wonderful if one or two flowers open, more than that and it is overpowering (almost noxious )they are scented at night. It is one of my favorite plants. They are not hardy here in zone 6b.I got my cuttings in Coral Gables Florida from a vine at least 50-60 feet climbing into the trees. It can take moderate shade to full sun. I put it out for the summer in late April and bring it back in before frost. It will lose its leaves for a short period, about 4 weeks and go semi-dormant usually about march. Your gonna love this one. If I can get a picture of it this year when in bloom I will post.
perLite
Petaluma, CA

October 3, 2001
12:53 AM

Post #138342

We're all expecting updates on the progress of these "cuttings!" :)

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2001
9:47 PM

Post #139101

Right now they are in the house and seem to be holding their own.Not really growing - But they are not dying --yet
chazparas
Haverhill, MA
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2001
6:11 PM

Post #139708

Crestedchik, they will seem to do nothing until they either set buds or go dormant, if it sets buds this year they will show in a couple of weeks. If no buds they stop growth until next spring, they will retain current leaves until late Feb. - March. Then they will drop them for a couple of weeks and start new growth. Even if it looks dead don't get rid of it. Keep it moderatley dry, and put it back outside in the spring, it will come back as long as there is some root alive somewhere in the pot! Good luck, I really, really love this plant.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2001
8:03 PM

Post #139758

Thanks for saying that!!I would have gotten all depressed when all the leaves fell off and put it in the garage to go into the compost pile. I'm hoping for the best,no, I'm hoping for buds LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America