Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

2009's most menacing or troublesome pest for you

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Mine is the slug--I had no other pests or disease, well, maybe some rabbit damage but the slugs just mowed my beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and eggplant. It took me awhile to figure out what was eating everything but once that was determined...wham...I brought out the beer traps and nothing. Not a slug to be found in any one of them. I went back to the books, the friends, the professionals (which I'm embarrassed to say, I'm one of) and realized that I had buried my cups of beer and yeast in the ground thinking that this would entice the scoundrels into the cups. Wrong! They need to climb up the side of the cup/container before they'll make the decision to go for a swim. Of course, by this time the change was done. They seemed to be concentrated in the southwest corner of my enclosed garden. My client, on the opposite side of me (NE corner) had minimal damage. Which beast did you in?

Thumbnail by NorthernSeasons
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Deer are enemy #1 closely followed by slugs. I despise them.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

all of the above and include Iris borer

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Tell us a little about the Iris Borer--I have irises and would love to know what the damage looks like and what you did to combat them.
Thanks, Dee

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Japanese beetles and slugs.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Japanese Beetles, Marcia. What are they attacking in your garden? What are you using to control them? Thanks, Dee

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The borer gets into the rizome and disolves it.
You will see a shell of a rizome in early spring and it will have little holes in it.
OHHHH and NO flowers or leaves
We use a Bonide for Borers early in spring spray everything

This message was edited Oct 1, 2009 3:39 PM

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

pack rats, pack rats and pack rats.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

I remember my mother calling me a pack rat; so this is a real animal? What does it do and is it a real rat?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think they are also called desert rats. They look like rats and come up through the ground from underground tunnels(you will see holes in the ground). They take everything(pieces of plants, pieces of cushion, pieces of wood, pieces of wires...etc) into their tunnels and leave some in exchange. The stuff they leave for me are pieces of cacti..etc. This year they stole all of my plant tags(written on plastic large sized plant tags) and took them into their nest that they built in my Barbque. They can also get into garage and set up their homes in car and chew the car labels etc. Nuisance and they also have their favorite plants to chew on and eat up. I try to work around them but lost tons of plants/furniture cushions to them.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

lovetropics--What are their favorite plants? Do they appear to collect them for food, for fragrance, nest building because of plant color? Any ideas?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

HolyCow now crows foraging for stuff wont bother me so much.
What a pest

I always thought of it as a phrase and never knew there was such a thing as pack rats.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wish I knew what they don't like :).
They love bulbs--so I started to put in poisonous bulbs such as amaryllis. They stay away from the bulbs but eat the shoots. The bulbs will eventually die because the shoot keeps getting eaten up.
They eat veggies/herbs. The herbs they don't eat are the ones I have such as mint, organo, thyme.
I put in one plant first. If they don't eat that plant, then I put in more plants from that category. They don't eat cannas so I have several species of cannas.
They did not eat jasmines so I added more species of jasmines. Stinckers ate them up this spring. No winning with these.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

Stinckers? Is this another rodent?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

this is what they look like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack_rat

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

lovetropics--Very cool article.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We dont have em, just moles and voles

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

whitefly whitefly and more whitefly

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

add slugs to my list

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

That is a fascinating article about the pack rats. It's too bad they're a pest in the garden and home, because their cleverness is admirable.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Indeed ! Well said !

Merlin, OR(Zone 7a)

Have you tried Bubblegum for the pack rats? I think Bazooka works better than Bubblicious. If your not into killing them then maybe live traps. (if they don't steal them also)

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have read somewhere that they don't like Mint. Interesting the herbs that they did not touch are in my mint bed. I will try putting mint branches in their holes and see what happens. I am not fond of traps.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Slugs and snail, (and not puppy dog tails) and a rat that crosses the wires each night to eat an orange from my tree, leaving the empty shell for me to collect each morning, ugh! Begging DH to bait a trap.

Sometimes people can be menacing or troublesome pests (oh you know you were thinking of it! :-) )

edited for spelling

This message was edited Oct 6, 2009 7:05 AM

My neighbor resembles your last remark, Sue!

Can you wrap the oranges in netting (like bird netting) or onion bags or old nylons?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Leaf rollers. They only infest my cannas, but I have lots of cannas. They sew the leaves shut. You can actually see the threads on the rolled up leaves. They lay their eggs inside. They hatch into ugly caterpillars and eat the epidermis of the foliage. So you end up with rotten-looking shredded leaves. It's almost impossible to keep up with them. I unroll the leaves and feed the cats to my fish, but "Mama" comes back and starts in again with her "fly-by-night" attacks. After a while, I just give up. So right now, most of my cannas look like crap. Surprisingly, a couple of cultivars seem to resist the leaf rollers. Wish they all did! Even thunbergis bacillis isn't quite effect on this little buggers.

Below is Tama Tulipa who seems to deter the leaf rollers somehow. Not a scratch on her.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

The orange tree is too huge, probably 15 ft tall and as wide or wider, and covered with oranges. If I was able to wrap from the top, the rat could climb it from underneath going up the trunk. And he's nervy enough to often sit in one of the hanging pots I have under the tree eating his fruit and leaving behind the rind and his droppings on the plants.

Rats on rats!

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

That article on the rats was great.They look like the gerbils sold in pet stores.
Said they like shiny things , what about a package of sequins or shinny confetti, do you think it would keep them busy enough to leave some things to you?
I know that sounds silly but I am big on distraction and redirection.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Gardengus,
I can try the sequins.
I have a dry river bed and I threw some blue marbles(from craft stores) to make it look like water. Now all the marbles are gone and I think packrats took them.

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

I wish my slugs were as entertaining as your pack rats. I love the idea getting stuff in exchange for what they're taking even though the 'exchange' items are probably not of the same value.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

NorthernSeasons, it would have been perfect if I like cacti, pieces of broken stems..etc.LOL:)

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

slugs slugs and more slugs.....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

slugs is it

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Loving the views of 2 burly cute guys with chainsaws.
They are cutting down the Scotch pine infested with borer.
They called me "mam"

Thumbnail by ge1836
Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi, I am Mickey and I am new to this site, but was interested in what pests are prominant. For my garden this year it was japanese beatles and bag worms. The beatles were especially hard on the tomatoes and the bag worms are attacking my spruce trees. Does anyone have ane good recommendation about how to get rid of the mature bag worms apart from picking them off? We sprayed with seven for both pests and it worked for the beatles but not the bag worms.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

you have to spray for the bag worms as soon as they hatch out in the spring..MAy or June.....after they get so old spraying will not work.....

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

bluepoppy, thank you for the information. I will have my husband do the spraying early in the spring. Do you know does the cold weather of our winters kill the adult bag worms?

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I enjoyed your pictures, too, ge1836.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.