Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

daylily seed

Blackshear, GA

Just collected some seed and would like to plant them. Is there any special requirements. Plant now or spring? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Don't know in what your zone you are. I'm in zone 6 and last year I winter sowed them with great succes. I also sowed them indoors, with a little bit less succes, but still I was succesful. I noticed that the wintersown ones are stronger.
All the seeds I sowed were from trades. There were some not germinating at all, but that must have been bad seeds, since they were germinated all in the same conditions.
The succesfull ones had a germination rate between 50% and 80%

Jonna

Blackshear, GA

Thank you Jonna, So really no waiting period or special treatment?

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

No, did nothing special. Just sowed them 0.5 cm deep.

Blackshear, GA

I will try it, thanks.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm no expert, but have read several places to let them dry for a day or two and refrigerate them for 2 weeks. My only experience is with about a dozen seeds that I collected last year and were refrigerated for a few months. I had 90- 100% germination on those.

Blackshear, GA

I will try that. What I have read, seems to be fairly easy. I just like to grow things. Gives me great satisfaction raising something from a tiny seed to a nice plant.

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

http://www.rinklanddaylilies.com/dayliliesFromSeed.html

This gives extensive information. Also, there is a daylily forum here. You will likely get much more info than you can use, but that is the nature of DG. :-)

Incidentally, I got this article from someone whom I believe to be Rinkland Daylilies in a seed trade but haven't been able to track down her dmail address.

Good luck and have fun.

Z

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Oops, I just realized that the site I mentioned is aimed at Northerners, but you may glean some information there and continue with the learning process. Or you could just move north. ^_^

Blackshear, GA

thank you

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.