-
AuthorContent
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #7124816

My co-worker and I started talking about Cat Bordhi and the mobius wrap. I remember years ago reading about this and since it is math based I decided I couldn't do it. Of course now Cat Bordhi had her unusual cast on for the mobius wrap on youtube. So it is much easier to learn. My co-worker was fascinated and went home and started her wrap. Since she did it - I tried it and I think I've got it. The cast on is done starting at the center of a circular needle. The cast on and first row are rather hard but then it's pretty easy.

The mobius is a joined strip that has a twist in it. You can knit or crochet or even weave a rectange. Then twist one end and stitch up the seam. This mobius is done without a seam. So you when you join your round you put a marker on the needle. As you knit the marker shows up on the cable and then it shows up on the needle.

Take a strip of paper (I cut off the long edge of a piece of copy paper) and write something on the bottom edge until you get to the other side. bring the two sides together, twist one and tape it together. Now follow that writing and you will find that there is more room to write.

I am in the process of knitting my first mobius wrap. You can wrap it around your shoulder and the twist can be anywhere - it helps hold it on. You can just drape it around your neck and you can wrap it around like a cowl. YOu can also bring it over your head like a hood.

If you change color once it will show as a strip at each edge.

This my first WIP.

Thumbnail by elsie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7124826

Here is another picture. I hope you can see the twist at the needles.

Thumbnail by elsie

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7124842

Here is the cast on link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVnTda7F2V4

Here is a link to the ways to wear it.
http://www.theshizknit.com/2009/08/that-magical-moebius.html

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #7125873

That is so cool! I wish I had time to do it too.
=^..^=

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
10:21 AM

Post #7126092

I think I might give it a try too. I wish I knew how many stitches to start with...
Anybody know??? And what size needles???
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #7126308

I have mine on size 11 needles - but I usually use large needles. I think it is 37 inches long. I cast on 50 stitches and I have no idea what it will look like when it's done. You have to have enough stitches to get around the circular needle when the needle is coiled around itself once. At least I think that's right. Be sure to use the video to cast on. And be careful not to cast on too tightly.

You can search for patterns online. there are two spellings mobius and moebius.

My co-worker is off to a sheep and fiber show in VT. She is working on her third mobius in about 2 weeks. She just got Cat Bordhi's book and I looked through it and I'm just fascinated by what she creates.

I must get back to work.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #7126548

Thanks Elsie - We are having a wool arts tour here in NH next weekend so I'm going to be on the lookout for these. I'm not sure what is the largest circular needle I have but I'm going to give it a try.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #7129178

If you do try one - make sure you have the cast on video at hand and a stitch marker. The cast on is strange and you cannot put it down until you actually start knitting the first row.

I am thinking of using life lines in mine. I just realized that I must have turned my scarf around and started going back. I just spent two hours taking the stitches out. FYI - I was thinking with this yarn I'm using the stitches are nicely defined so I was going to just rip the stitches back. Since the scarf isn't flat I decided that woudln't work too well. I hope I can get back to where I made the mistake and continue.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #7130027

I'm sure you will make out just fine. I'd love to have a penny for all the stitches and rows I've taken out over the years. I could have my own fabric/yarn shop!!!!!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7130651

You are right about that. It is always interesting when trying something new.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7191718

I finished my second scarf and I really like it. This one is big enough to wrap around your neck twice, I can take one part of this and bring it up like a hood. I tried it on a co-worker and it looks very nice as a shawl. This is on the back of my chair - it is longer than this.

Thumbnail by elsie

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #7192741

What size needles and how many stitches on this one? I like the way it looks and it drapes well. The lacy effect is pretty too.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #7194877

I used a 37 inch 15 needle. I always use large needles. I cast on 100 stitches. As you knit - if you knit something wide you will need a longer needle. Since it's so loose it is very soft around the neck. The stitch is yarn over, k 2 tog - repeat. The next row I knit. I always knit the first stitch.

If you look at the shawl - the reddish center is the cast on - then you knit all the way around on one side and then the other. That's what makes the color changes the same on both sides. The colors don't show up too well in the picture.

We got a third co-worker who is going to try one.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #7196448

I bought some mohair at the wool festival but I didn't like it for this scarf. I ended up just making a plain one. I did find a wonderful yarn outlet so will be getting back to there soon.
I bought Cat's book and got the long circular needle. Just need the yarn now.
I sure do love what you all are doing. Thank you...
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7198371

Just so you know if you just knit- half of it will be stockinette and half garter. A few rows of knitting then purling makes a really nice effect. I think I'm going to try a ribbing of some sort to see how it turns out.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America