AuthorContent
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #7125872

Thought a fun thread might be in how your eating or even what you eat is totally different from what you grew up on. Be it because of regional differences, financial or just plain personal taste changes. Here are some questions to get the topic going and if you think of others, please add them!

What did you eat as a kid that you do not eat now (no reasoning why not, you just don't)?

What did you eat as a kid that you would not eat now (different question than the first)?

What did you used to not like and now you do?

Have you become more adventurous in your meals now or stayed the same?

What foods did you first try as an adult?

What foods have you heard of that you've still just never been exposed to?
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #7125892

What did you eat as a kid that you do not eat now (no reasoning why not, you just don't)? I used to dunk buttered toast into cocoa but just never drink cocoa down here in Texas (I came from up north). I used to eat more candy, just finding that I'm not really a candy person, I'd prefer chocolate in the form of a candy bar vs cookies or cakes or hard candy anyday.

What did you eat as a kid that you would not eat now (different question than the first)? I used to get a bolonga and cheese sandwich most every cold lunch I had as a kid, to this day I cannot stomach bolongny. I used to eat banana's but now can't eat the yellow or spotted ones yuck, I can only eat them when the peel still has a light tint of green, love them this way. Guilty pleasure---I loved eating toothpaste lol!

What did you used to not like and now you do? Now I can eat chicken curry (aka hawaiian haystacks). I used to hate onions and bell peppers, often in dishes at home. I figure it's the strong flavor really. I LOVE to mince these items for any dish that calls for them but ugh, still cannot eat them in large chunks in a meal.

Have you become more adventurous in your meals now or stayed the same? I eat a much more diverse diet now than I grew up with. I grew up on meat and potatoes and thought all "beans" were green :).

What foods did you first try as an adult? I had never heard of okra so that should say something. I've tried so many fruits and veggies new to me. We never got seafood (I don't think fishsticks count as seafood anyway lol) or wild game and now I quite enjoy them both (but seafood I'm still not as adventurous, I don't want anything uncooked or looking slimy!). There are fruits I never had a kid like kiwi (were they not available, or just to expensive???), pumello's, figs...etc.

What foods have you heard of that you've still just never been exposed to? There is still a lot of seafood I've no interest in trying: lobster, crab. I'm not interested in unusual cuts of animal (tongue, pork rinds, etc).
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 14, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7167910

What did you eat as a kid that you do not eat now (no reasoning why not, you just don't)?
Squash - all kinds. DW did not greow up with them, so rarely, VERY rarely do we have any in the house.

What did you eat as a kid that you would not eat now (different question than the first)?
Nothing - love all foods.

Okra. Did not have it till I was in high school in OK - it was boiled and slimy - buried it in the mashed potatoes and finished it as quickly as possible - was at a friend's house. His mom asked if I wanted more since I had finished it so quickly - said I had enough, thank you. Still not crazy about it that way, but any other way -- I'm all over it.

About the same - Step-dad was always introducing new foods to mom & me, so am sort of like Andrew Zimner - I'll try it at least once.

Goat cheese, sushi, sashimi.

Raindeer, Camel, volute, lots of Asian, South American, African, Middle eastern, and Pacific island foods.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2009 12:01 PM
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 16, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #7174408

Battery hens eggs!

Any food that is not free range or organic, and I want to know where it comes from, although I am not fussy, as long as it is home cooked and real food.
Take aways, total disgrace to any Nation, these have killed a generation of cooks and should all be closed down, even the big chain ones. How can anyone eat something from a kitchen they cannot see, and they do not know what is in it!
Restaurant food the same as above.
Supermarket food of any sort!

Tripe!

I was a trained Chef before I went In the British Army, so was adventurous then. Travelling around the world in the Army and then on my own I love to try what the locals eat, not what the tourists eat!

Thai food, Japanese food, Nepalese food and Indian.

Nothing that I have heard of, I have tried most things, and deep fried Tarantulas are in fact very nice.
Still will not beat a good Yorkshire Pudding with roast beef, veg and then a sticky toffee pudding.
Or a steak & kidney pudding.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 12:30 AM

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7178852

For me, it's easier to list the other way around.

As a kid would only eat:
tomato soup that mom cooled on the windowsill
raw hot dogs (why not? it's only rolled up bologna!)
cooked spinach
pork chops cooked in the oven with rice & tomato juice
pizza that I took all the cheese off of

As an adult I will not eat:
liver or any organs
don't like venison, still has that gamey aftertaste to me
cheesecake (just don't like it, so why eat it?)

I never ate anything until I worked in a kitchen. There are plenty of things I haven't tried yet, but are not opposed to trying, unless it's weird stuff like that guy on the Food Network, or Bear Grylls.
That's about it!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7186057

Smiley, a nice easier way to say it!
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7186330

I had to think for a minute before I replied. I like your threads, Tir, they're always fun!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #7186794

Bless you :) Thanks!
rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #7187490

what did I eat as a kid that I do not eat now...oatmeal
what did I eat as a kid that I would not eat now ...peanuts on the half shell I split them in two with the peanuts still in the bottom half and salt them and eat shell and all at my age that would kill my stomach.Not to mention my blood pressure
What did I used to not like that I do now...beets I love them now
Have I become more adventurous I would definatly say YES to that one. When I first got married my wife was pretty limited on cooking we had the same meals over and over so I started experimenting and now we hardly eat the same thing twice in a month.
What foods did I first try as an adult... clams, oysters, lobster we never had such things as kids we couldn't afford such fancy things. And I love them
What foods have I heard of but have never been exposed to I imagine that is a hard one because there are foods from all over the world I havn't tried and when I hear about them I would like to try them but they are not available here or I don't know how to prepare them.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #7187503

Beets are great, aren't they rucky? That was one I forgot about, I did eat them as a kid.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7187541

What did you eat as a kid that you do not eat now (no reasoning why not, you just don't)? Slice of white buttered bread sprinkled with sugar

What did you eat as a kid that you would not eat now (different question than the first)? Cracklins- we were poor - LOL

What did you used to not like and now you do? 9 of us kidlets and poor, so we were each allowed one and ONLY ONE dislike. I have no clue why my choice was cottage cheese because now I love it!

Have you become more adventurous in your meals now or stayed the same? Now I'm super adventurous - I cook with complete abandon and have fun with our food :)

What foods did you first try as an adult? Quinoa and curry - they just weren't in the Midwest repertoire ;)

What foods have you heard of that you've still just never been exposed to? I've still never cooked much wild game - I do rabbit and bison, but never had weird stuff like alligator or snake. I'm not real hep on eating snails either - ewwwwwww !!!

Super fun thread :)
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #7187674

Spam, Twinkies, Rice Krispies, bologna

Hot dogs, although I love sausages
Tuna sashimi, used to love it, then got tired of it

Eggplant – I thought it was weirdly colored and slimey. Now, of course, I love it.
Spicy food – as a kid I couldn’t tolerate super-hot chilis. And I still consider Cajun spicing to be inferior to Thai, Indian, and Chinese, so maybe I need to make a trip to New Orleans for some research…..
Okra, as long as it isn’t overcooked

Much more adventurous: Pakistani, Moroccan, classical French and lots of others

Bastilla, foie gras, true Dover sole, real Mediterranean scampi (which are NOT just large shrimp, as chain restaurants would have you believe), red deer, wild boar, Peking Duck and Chinese winter melon, Chinese broccoli, risotto, Spanish tapas, Cal-Mex burritos, Beluga caviar, Brazilian feijoda, Peruvian ceviche, duck confit

The cooking by Ferran Adria @El Bulli in Spain
Deep-fried Snickers – and I hope I never am!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 19, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #7187727

What a great thread! I'm still thinking on my answers.

Dea, you're supposed to put miracle whip on that sugar sandwich, not butter! :) We used to eat them that way, and yes, only on white bread, usually with the crusts removed. I can't call that one of the things I ate as a kid that I wouldn't eat now, because if I had some white bread in the house, I'd probably make one now, just to see if they still have the same appeal.

I'm thinking...I'll be back.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7187861

LOL at ya Joan!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 19, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7187871

Velveeta, fish sticks made from minced fish (love the commercial with the little girl asking her mother..."MINCED? You feed me MINCED? You ever catch a minced fish?"

Boiled eggs, side pork, fried ring balogna, canned peas, vienna sausages

American cheese, swiss cheese, cloves gum, blackjack gum, anything made from dried beans, rye bread, asparagus

Definitely. We often just pull items out of the pantry, fridge and or freezer that need to be used up and figure out a way to do something with them

Wild turkey (yuk), venison (yuk), catfish (yuk), lobster (yum), oysters (yuk), grits (yum)

Rattlesnake, rabbit, sushi (I'm not sure I'd eat these even if I WAS exposed to them)
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #7188687

Dea, ha the good ol "fairy sandwich" as we called it. A slice of cheap white bread or an apple, those were snacks in our house of 9 growing up! I still never would eat a sugar sandwich though! Forgot about those til you mentioned it!

Joan, I didn't grow up on game and had an aversion to so many foods because my Mom would claim such and such food would make her sick! I never never say this in front of my kids now because I want them to be open to try more things than I would. I had venison only a few times when Dad could manage a hunt with Mom's approval LOL but now being married to a true outdoorsmen I can attest that not all venison tastes the same. I believe there is a real difference in mule deer. If you aren't into wild game then you'd never know the difference about it when hunting. But I have used mule venison in many dishes and find their ground meat to be exceptional and very little difference to me than beef. Would love to try buffalo, just haven't.

Yuk? Definately duck. All dark meat and greasy to boot! Another yuk, "california rolls" it's known by some other name to. Basically plain rice (or add some wasabi sauce---also yuk) and wrap this into a tiny roll held together with seaweed. Um, yummo!

A fried snickers, yes, cannot even imagine! DH loves a funnel cake (think carnival) and I'd never heard of them! (Like I said, grew up poor, we didn't have carnivals lol).

Didn't grow up on spam (isn't that a surprise LOL) but do like it. But I only like it cooked the same I do bacon or sausage. I want it crispy and browned :). I can't stand breakfast sausage, to funky a flavor for me.

Grew up on imitation breakfast syrups but much prefer maple now. A whole 'nother world there.
rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #7189165

These are the reasons that the make mustard AND ketchup, Ford AND Chevy, every body is different and has different tastes aren't we lucky that we have a choice. That is what makes our world a wonderful place to live.Where I worked before I retired there were 15 hungry people all with different tastes and one of us would cook fron time to time. I don't care what we cooked it would get eaten. Sometimes there would be leftovers but by the time the shift was over it was gone. I am lucky enough to have venison in my freezer most of the time and fish because I love to hunt and fish. So that was my contribution. I think if we eat with an open mind and try new things or retry old things sometimes we are surprised at what tastes good. That is why I like this thread its very intresting to see what people are eating I have totally forgotten about bread butter and sugar I liked that too, One other thing I did as a kid that I had forgotten was peanut butter lettus and mayonaise sandwhich and cold bake bean sandwhich's. What great memories this thread has brought back.Thank you Tir
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 20, 2009
9:16 AM

Post #7189183

Dear Rucky, I agree with you! Shall I put the food ration on here for Britain in World War Two?
That may make a few people think!
Your Steak & Kidney Pie is in the Post.
Kindest Regards from a cold England.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #7189296

Getting colder here to Neil I will be heading out hunting in a couple of weeks The deer should be moving good in the cooler weather.. Yes post the rations here I was totally amazed I'm sure they will be too...rucky
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7189737

Rucky and Neil, appreciate your posts! Yes, so true. We are blessed beyond belief to have such variety at our fingertips. I do try to make sure I'm not adverse to other tastes because as mentioned, in hard times, your variety will be in short supply! So glad my DH got me onto the world of eating beans! Sheesh, grew up thinking "beans" were all green!!!!!!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 20, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7189901

Tir, Come on by "our place" anytime and pick up some bison. Just cut and shrink-wrapped a bison tenderloin, so there are a few packages of that left. And we usually have the sirloin, t-bone, roasts, sausage, and even hot-dogs, in addition to the patties available for sale.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #7192516

I do need to come by sometime :)
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 21, 2009
8:37 AM

Post #7192642

Rucky, here is the rations you were amazed with. We either eat this or nothing at all!
During the first and second World War, everything was strictly rationed in this Country, apart from vegetables and offal, so people learnt to love it and nothing went to waste.
Here is the weekly ration for an adult in the war (UK), this was from 1939-1954 when at last rationing stopped.
Our Nation was never healthier!
Butter: 50g (2oz), Bacon and ham: 100g (4oz), Margarine: 100g (4oz), per week!
Sugar: 225g (8oz). Meat: To the value of 1s.2d (one shilling and sixpence per week. That is about 6p today). Milk: 3 pints(1800ml) occasionally dropping to 2 pints (1200ml). per week!
Cheese: 2oz (50g). Eggs: 1 fresh egg a week. Tea: 50g (2oz). Per week!
Jam: 450g (1lb) every two months. Dried eggs 1 packet every four weeks. Sweets: 350g(12oz) every four weeks.
Clothing was also rationed.
Offal or innards as you call it, was never rationed, so of course people eat it, and indeed still do.
As rucky so rightly states, liver if cooked right with a nice gravy is a wonderful dish, who could want more. They call it offal in the UK, or what you call innards.
Regards from England!
Neil.
rucky
Huffman, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
9:21 AM

Post #7192657

Right again Neil

Bubba Do you have a meat market and where do you get Bison in Texas I have eaten it in South Dakota on a Sunday Drive around the U.S. Thats what we called it anyway we would just travel in a general direction and drive nothing but back roads and senic routes. We got to eat a lot of different things this way. Do you sell other meats also or just Bison?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 21, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #7193113

I'm part owner of a tiny restaurant - Bubba's Texas Burger Shack. Our motto is "Home of the buffalo burger".
It was the first restaurant in Houston, TX to sell bison burgers, and we just celebrated our 24th year in business in August.

When the "original" Bubba owned it, it was an "Ice House" that happened to sell hamburgers.
Now we are a restaurant that happens to sell beer.

Would love to have all of the old customers back - lol.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7193712

Aw, cute Bubba on the ice house change :)

Rucky, I've seen most good HEB's stock several cuts of meat from bison, lamb, duck and I BELIEVE I even saw venison in there? But don't quote me. I have seen the bison, just have not tried it yet.

Neil, amazing on those rations! I'd manage fine with clothing rations :) I very rarely have to buy something new. But rations on the kids clothes would be tough! Thank you for the listing, a good reminder for our family to be more self-sufficient and frugal!!!!!!!!!!!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 21, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7193897

Rucky, I forgot to answer your question about bison supply.

We are buying from the original packer / rancher in South Dakota. He put his herd with 6 other ranchers herds for the "Dances With Wolves" movie. He harvests between 18-24 months old, so we have young bison. And we get shipments weekly, so special orders are not a problem.

All 50 states have bison producers, and we DO have some wonderful ranches in TX, however, they are not able or willing to match our current costs (even with shipping). We did have a Texas supplier a few years ago - but that is another story - great product, but inconsistant delivery.

Neil, I heard many stories from my parents and grandparents about rationing. It was one of the reasons, we had a huge garden, raised rabbits and chickens, and I was taught to hunt , fish, harvest berries, mushrooms, etc.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #7195939

You had smart parents Bubba! I wish I'd come from a line of avid gardeners/hunters/fishers. So many things I'm learning on my own so to speak :)
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 22, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7197138

Dear all, quite a lively discussion!
It was tough in the War, and many people suffered, but somehow they got by in the end! My grandparents and parents told me about it, and although I was not around at the time, the aftermath lasted a lot longer than 1954 when rationing stopped.
My mother tells a true story of when she went to a dance in 1960, and in the raffle was three bananas! These were unseen of at the time, and where she was living probably for the youngsters had never been seen at all. They raffled each one separately and my mother won one of these prized fruits. A gentleman came up and offered to buy it of her; at first she refused but he offered her £10.00p which was a lot of money then, about $50 in your money at the time. Which was a months wages to my mother so she sold it, and did not get one to try till 1965!
Luckily my grandparents and my parents live on a remote farm in north Yorkshire, so you eat whatever you were given, or got it cold for breakfast!
So I was taught to hunt/fish and forage, for what nature can provide, not a store with something wrapped in plastic.
I have six nieces and two nephews who come over; yes my wife and I are trained cooks, but they dare not ask in my house for Muck Donald's, Kentucky slimed chicken, shop bought pizzas, Chinese from a take away, or indeed anything that is not fresh and home cooked.
If they do not want to eat real food they get nothing else!
I look after Veterans as I am considered one myself; one Gentleman is an American who has stayed here after the War, he comes for dinner every fortnight and loves our food now, plus his and others fresh food parcel once a week.
He wastes nothing at all; i read a bit rusty had sent me to him, and he fell about laughing, "if only they knew what was in Hot Dogs," was his comment.
rusty, Gregg send his regards.
here is an article from America interesting reading I think!
Regards from England.
Neil.

In America, the fourth Thursday in November gives us special permission to heap food on our plates. While this ritual used to be unique to Thanksgiving, it has become increasingly routine in our daily lives.

Because America produces twice as much food as needed per person, Thanksgiving’s celebration of abundance seems outdated. Yes, we cherish this holiday. But we’d have more cause to give thanks if we valued food more and made better use of our excess.

As a symbol of American abundance, Thanksgiving hints at just how much food there is to squander. And squander we do, from farm to fork. More than 40 percent of all food produced in America is not eaten, according to research by former University of Arizona anthropologist Timothy Jones. That amounts to more than 29 million tons of food waste each year, or enough to fill the Rose Bowl every three days. Nationwide, food scraps make up 17 percent of what we send to landfills.

This waste often goes undetected. “I think that without a doubt, when people say that they don’t waste food, they believe it. There’s a huge disconnect,” says William Rathje, a Stanford archaeologist who ran the University of Arizona Garbage Project for years. “People don’t pay attention to their food waste because it goes straight into the garbage or disposal. It’s not like newspapers that stack up in the garage.”

We live in a culture of excess, and food is no exception. The average American wastes more than half a pound of food per day. I’m no mathematical whiz, but that would be a whole Quarter Pounder at lunch and dinner. When you count what’s put down the disposal, 25 percent of what enters our homes is not eaten, Rathje reports.

And as we can all attest, restaurants’ massive portions fill their large plates, our stomachs, and then their dumpsters. Exceptions to this squandering — like T.G.I. Friday’s “Right Portion, Right Price” menu — are few. Every day, Jones calculates, American restaurants throw away more than 6,000 tons of food, per day!

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 22, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7197201

Neil, et al,
There is a Depression Gardening thread on the Texas Gardening Forum that has some stories of how America survived.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #7197379

I was about to say "Well it doesn't happen much in this house". Then I remembered the left over rice from last week and the sliced peppers that didn't get processed in time. Must clean out the refrigerator. I had perfectly good intentions.
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

October 22, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7197381

I was three when WWII broke out; so I grew up assuming that the rations Neil quotes were the norm. I think I was nine when I first tasted icecream. Like many of my generation right into my teens I preferred evaporated milk to real cream. I doubt if I tasted coffee til I was nearly twenty. This isn't a hard luck story. I enjoyed my food as a kid.

Eat as a kid not now: dripping sandwiches

Eat as a kid would not eat now: chicken

Like now: seed cake; brussels sprouts

More adventurous: yes, very much. I love snails. This is partly the gardener in me relishing my revenge.

Eat first as an adult: the list is endless. Anything "foreign".

Heard of but not exposed to: sheep's eyeballs.
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 22, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7197578

There is nothing wrong with sheep's eyeballs; maybe they did not have them in Northampton patgeorge, but I have eaten them in the middle east cooked in honey, and they are quite pleasant.
It is just the thought of things that puts people off, having done my survival courses, I eat anything cook anything and enjoy it.
On the north Yorkshire moors there are only three things; sheep, grouse and lost sightseers, which is dangerous to say the least for them, so you soon learn to eat anything up there, heather is a bit chewy!
I do not get on with people who always say I don't like that, then when you ask them if they have ever tried it, they say NO. How can you not like anything if you have never tried it? Plus I have eaten things I was dubious about but still eat it, then tried it by a different cook and it was lovely!
The 1920s depression did not only hit America it also hit a lot of other Countries as well, we had soup kitchens etc. over here, and that was after a brutal War that lasted four years in Europe and a further year in Russia!
Only to have to fight another War in 1939! The only year our services have not been in combat somewhere was in 1958, as the House of Commons was being painted, or so legend has it.
twiggybuds thanks for being honest, most people are not, as they will always deny it.
My waste is either composted or used as pig food, for the farm I go down to.
Regards.
Neil.

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7197655

Am loving the stories shared! I know we are so so very wasteful. It's a real shame. And shame on me to :(. I appreciate reminders like yours to value what I have, be more open and more responsible with what we are consuming.
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 23, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #7199881

Dear Tir_Na_Nog, all the rich western Countries are guilty, most were told to get their act together by the E.U. some have done so, and some have not.
Germany and Holland are very green, and Britain is getting there slowly. A lot was due to the organic movement which started to grow in the 80s and is now very strong and powerful. People were asking why tomato's did not taste the same, bacon had a funny white scum that came out when you cooked it etc, and where did it come from!
It was the supermarkets (stores), that ruled the roost here, for they had the power over the farmers to make them produce vegetables all the same size and colour, so they would fit in their plastic wrappers/containers. They did not care what was sprayed on them or where they came from, pleasing the shareholders and getting a bonus was more important.
The E.U. could not stop the chain stores power, or indeed the Government and why would they want to, most of the politicians are Chairmans of theses stores! There was however two things more powerful that could; the power of the press over numerous cases of children becoming ill for eating this stuff or obesity, and the Housewives, the consumers who did not want the chemical stuff!
For it is quite simple, the power went to the consumers, if they did not buy it the simple law of supply and demand worked.
The farmers also had a revolt against the stores hold on them; so farmers markets started, then farm shops sprung up, fresh food cheap and you know where it comes from.
The stores fought back by cutting the prices of their chemical foods and made anything organic expensive, even more than it was.
It did not work and the stores were left with full shelves of rubbish food, so they had to do something. A lot suffered badly as they tried to beat the consumers, in the end they lost!
Now it has spread further to; organic meat. free range, organic Chickens and eggs, milk, and in fact everything.
You can still of course get the chemical food, but not many people buy it, and especially not with eggs.
Even our restaurants have had to tow the line; for if they do not use organic products, clearly stating they are from a local source, which must be proved, they do not get in the food magazines and the food guides!
Our meat and fish laws are very strict, any meat you can trace back to the exact farm it came from and when, if it is U.K. meat!
If you are sad enough to shop at a store, they have to label everything; as to where it came from, is it organic or not, or people leave it on the shelf, and will not buy it.
Some things are imported like spices etc. or indeed things that do not grow here, however most people work on a 50 mile carbon footprint, i.e. if it comes from more than 50 miles away then it is not what they want. This does not apply to everything, but vegetables, meat etc.
The rules on waste rubbish (garbage), are also tight, so people don't tend to waste as much as they did, although sadly some people still do.
Here is a frightening thought; in the US the wastage from the actual farm to the plate then the garbage of the consumer is 6-7, this means that 6-7 of the total amount (in weight), of all the produce from the farms is wasted!
That would feed a lot of hungry people, read this.

NEW YORK, Sep 3 (Tierramérica) - ''Do you want these? They are so fresh,'' says Catherine, holding up a bunch of grapes she just pulled out from one of the trash bags piled up on the sidewalk. ''Take this, man. It's good too,'' adds her friend Morlan, holding out a loaf of bread.

Though happy to have found something for dinner, both Catherine, 21, and Morlan, 19, wonder why some edible food is thrown out as garbage in New York City

''They only sell this food to the rich,'' says Catherine pointing to the upscale grocery store that put out the bags.

Inside the store, the manager is visibly upset with Catherine and other young people who are stuffing their backpacks with fruits and vegetables from the trash bags. ''They are picking up garbage,'' says the manager. ''I don't know why they are doing this.''

''I have zero cash right now, and no place to stay,'' Morlan told Tierramérica. ''What do you expect me to do?''

Such scenes are becoming increasingly commonplace on the streets of U.S. cities, despite the enormous quantity of food that the world's most affluent nation produces every year.

Official surveys indicate that every year more than 350 billion pounds (160 billion kg) of edible food is available for human consumption in the United States. Of that total, nearly 100 billion pounds (45 billion kg) - including fresh vegetables, fruits, milk, and grain products - are lost to waste by retailers, restaurants, and consumers.

By contrast, the amount of food required to meet the needs of the hungry is only four billion pounds, it makes you think!
Regards from England.
Neil.

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7200493

So many threads so little time :)

The eating of wasted food actually has a name can you believe it, meaning it's more wide spread than you'd imagine, "freeganism." http://www.oprah.com/search.jsp?query=freeganism&resultsPerPage=20&sortBy=Relevancy&filterType=&filterBy=&page=1

DG thread on expired food bargains. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/850822/

An old one about the bland taste of grocery store food: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/863280/

On our easy ability to live a disposable society: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/784277/
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 23, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7200543

And in that same line of thinking:

I am so amazed that it took me so long to realize that carrot tops, radish tops, etc. make great greens. DW & I love a mix of many greens, so throw it all in the steamer. But I have watched many people tossing all the tops away. - even chopping the leaves off celery. One of the real surprises was that the horseradish tops really add some "zip" to a lettuce based salad. We have used them in enchiladas, too.

I remember Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gormet) saving onion skins, vegetable peelings, etc. to make vegetable stock. Gather all in a cheesecloth and simmer away. He did the same with shellfish shells and casings (shrimp, crawfish, fish skins, etc).
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7200738

I had tried them years ago (carrot tops in salad) just for the hey of it. Then I read somewhere that in large quantities they are bad for you.

Thanks for the reminder so I could look it up. A simple google search shows they are indeed edible and healthy to :)
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 23, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #7201347

May I ask how you are going to make not just vegetable, but any sort of stock otherwise?
Unless you buy a stock cube, which will never be the same.
The vegetables no matter what they are and a what the French call a Bouquet Garni, which in English is herbs in a bag, or a bit of of string, tied around them!
Meat stock is made the same way from simply cooking the bones down, which are wonderful with a stock.
Pure marrow and juices from the meat bones, heaven!
Use anything you have, it all adds to the taste!
Regards from gravy land!
Neil.

patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

October 25, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #7206937

Last weekend I made a malt loaf recipe from

http://traineedomesticgoddess.blogspot.com/2008/03/malt-loaf.html

It was very nice. However, in order to make it I had first to make some strong tea. I dug out my teapot and cosy from the back of the cupboard. On a whim I decided not to chuck in a couple of teabags, but to use old fashioned leaf tea. Oh bliss! Oh divine nectar! What have I been doing all these years? Teabags shall go to the dustbin where they belong. The old ways are indeed best.

Pat
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 26, 2009
6:47 AM

Post #7209034

Dear Pat a Northampton person, using tea bags! Quite beyond belief!
Regards.
Neil.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2009
7:27 AM

Post #7209061

What an interesting thread! First thing I thought of (for no particular reason) that I ate when I was a kid but don't eat now was a 'Fluffernutter' sandwich... peanut butter and marshmallow fluff. Now I want one, LOL! I still love peanut butter... and so do my dogs. A little peanut butter makes any medication seem like a treat for the dogs.

I very much like wild game... my family were hunters and fishers, we always had a freezer full of venison and sometimes unidentified things (on purpose, my Mom was quite good at camouflaging the rabbit as beef stroganoff...). Fish I eat, because my husband catches fine trout and it can't go to waste (though I give as much away as I can, because fish is not my favorite thing...). I LOVE sushi, lobster, crab, mussels, oysters (none of which was available to me as a kid).

More adventurous as an adult, yes! I love to cook and I try new recipes constantly... just made Maple Cream Sweet Potato soup for dinner tonight which was quite awesome! I'm willing to try most things, but still have not found love in my heart for brussel sprouts (though DH loves them).

As for waste, a pang of guilt went through me when I thought about my shriveling grape tomatoes that probably won't get eaten... but I am already in withdrawal from the fantastic locally grown summer tomatoes that aren't around anymore (both our own and Farmer's market). The toms from the grocery stores just can't hold a candle.

Neil, my husband is British, and he will not give up his Bisto gravy, though I think it is crap, quite frankly. Any good homemade recipes for British gravy (that is thin) so I can stop buying the Bisto?

We traveled to England and Scotland last spring, the one junk food item he had to have was a pork pie. Have you got any recipes for homemade pork pie? You seem to be a very conscientious cook/chef.

Rice Krispy treats. I've almost been craving those lately... childhood food that I would still eat today!

Brenda

NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 26, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #7209274

Firstly pork pies are not "Junk Food," the first record of them is in 1303, so I can assure they were not considered "Junk Food," then!
Supermarket or store bought ones are rubbish and people do not buy them! Any pork pie that is pink inside, or has a plastic wrapper is not a real pork pie.
Real pork pies are handmade and hand risen out of steam pastry, usually around a jar or mould. I used to make them whilst at catering college, and at home, but as there only two of us and four Veterans now, I do not make them much anymore.
Here is a link http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/270442/Pork-pies
As for gravy that is easy! You simply take your roast out of the roasting tin when cooked, placing it covered on a plate to rest.
Then you put the roasting tin on the stove and heat the juices up, you can add red wine or some white wine, or the water off your vegetables.
Stirring well with a wooden spoon this de glazes the bottom of the tin, which gets all the bits and juices out. Then let it reduce to the thickness you want.
I always put some Worcestershire sauce in mine, to get a glossy smooth finish then you add a knob of butter, stirring it well in in the last minutes of cooking. If you like it thicker and rich then you simply get a cup; add 1 teaspoon of cornflower and a little bit of water, and mix tegether till smooth.
Add this to the gravy, do not worry about the gravy going light, it will return to its original colour if stirred well. This thickens and adds a body to the gravy! Do this before you add butter and allow time to reduce th gravy down.
Some people do use an Oxo cube or Bisto powder, mixed in boiling water and then added to the meat gravy!
I add some thyme on the meat if I am cooking Beef, then it gives a wonderful flavour in the gravy!
If having beef serve with Yorkshire Puddings.
Like this.
Regards.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7209884

Thanks for the link, Neil! When I called them junk food, it is because they were the ones wrapped in plastic, LOL! Also thanks for the gravy info... I make pan gravies and sauces all the time, but usually thicken them (for me), but he likes the thinner gravy (on just about everything!). Aren't yorkshire puddings very labor intensive?
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 26, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #7209920

No Yorkshire Puddings are very easy, on the recipes forum is my grandmas recipe and this picture.
Regards.
Neil.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #7209982

Loving the education Neil :)

bsavage, I made rice krispy treats using fruity pebbles or cocoa pebbles and someone else was surprised and had "never thought of that" lol. I think they taste even better!
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7210110

Nice! I too am enjoying the edcuation!
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 26, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7210362

Dear Tir_Na_Nog, I don't think it is education, it is just helping people out, if the whole World helped each other out, I think it would be a better place.
Whilst serving in the British Army in Canada, we got two weeks local leave, so one of the lads hired a car and went into America. Unfortunately we only got the chance eat mostly in Diners, so got massive portions and did not get the chance to taste the proper American food!
A lot of people on the whole of DGs site have helped me out, as well.
For my Grandmother started in service as a scullery maid in 1911 and ended up Head cook then left in 1921, she kept a diary of what she cooked and who came to dinner etc. Some very important people she cooked for.
So she taught me from an early age how to cook, then my mother of course, and college.
My wife is a trained Chef but she is more classical french orientated, and likes making sweets and is also good at pastas.
Where I am firstly a British Chef, although after coming back from Nepal I love Gurkha food and cooking Indian food as well.
Homemade bread is a love of my life and soups, and sticky suet puddings with lashings of real English Custard!
Plus as a professional Horticulturist, taking photos of things and growing vegetables.
Regards.
Neil.

patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

October 26, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #7210483

Ah! Suet puddings. They don't use suet in Finland. You can't buy it. I get my son to bring it over. The ready granulated kind (Atora) in packets is fine. It travels well and keeps well. I use it for making mince meat and Christmas pud as well. Glad I brought my pressure cooker - something else they don't seem to have here.

The other thing I can't get here is malt extract. Mind you, I had a job to find some in England last time I was there.
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 26, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7210680

Oh Pat, Atora the saviour of many a thing! Great for making dumplings for a stew, meat puddings, treacle puddings lots of things.
We can get fresh suet here, but only sometimes so it is always good to have some in the cupboard.
Atora now does a vegetarian one, that is really good for sticky puddings.
Malt extract you can get from any health store, over here!
My father who is a Yorkshire man, like me, claims that if you put a top on a mince pie you are trying to hide something!
Regards.
Neil.
patgeorge
Nurmo
Finland
(Zone 4b)

October 27, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7214005

Yes Neil, I like the vegetarian version. Keeps better I think. You say you can get malt extract in any health food store. You haven't been to Northampton recently! Took me the whole of my five day stay to track some Potter's down last September. A couple of places only stocked the version with added codliver oil, which doesn't improve the taste of bread pudding.
Regards
Pat

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America