Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: I am so proud of my new pyramid!

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 30, Views: 1,094
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #7125924

My wonderful neighbor made this pyramid for my garded- it was to put strawberries in, but I can see a lot of various things- baby bok choy, romaine lettuce, herbs- who knows- I piled up big rocks inside to cut down on the amount of soil. I am so happy- I think we may do a second one,too. It is 36" at the base, and 4.5 ft tall.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #7125925

Oops- can't spell garden !
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #7125928

The plants & trellis behind it will be gone, and there will be a walkway all around it.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #7126301

I can see a lot of possibilities for that also!!! Congrats!!! My hoyas would absolutely love that!!!!!
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #7131906

What a dramatic addition to your yard. There are many plants that would be well displayed in this planter.
Congratulations!
Have you tried watering it yet?
Johanna
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #7132365

I really see a lot of possibilitys too. I see herbs and annual flowers together.
Vickie
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #7132579

So far I have planted strawberries in the top 4 tiers, ans transplanted some chives in one bottom tier. I see a change for the next one- the bottom of each board (fence slats) should be the same level as the top of the board below it- as it is now there is space for soil to wash down- I will have to be careful with watering until roots hold the soil in place. But I am really excited to see it grow!
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #7133381

I have several strawberry pots that allow the soil to wash out of the side pockets. For deep watering I installed a piece of pvc pipe with 1/4" holes drilled all along the sides down the center of the pot. Close the bottom of the pipe. Fill the pipe with pea gravel. Pour water on the gravel. This works with an open topped container.
For your planter you could cover the soil with weed mat, cut holes for plants. Use a generous sized piece if weed mat that can be tucked in well. However I have found that plastic canvas (for cross stitch) with holes cut for plants works better in pots. Michael's Crafts has them for $0.40 each for a 10 1/2"X 13" sheet. These are much easier to work with than weed mat.
Or install drip hoses. For a planter as large as yours drip hoses might work best.
:0)
Johanna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7133455

Those are wonderful ideas Johanna. I've had a similar problem and just think that might help me.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7195086

WOW That is so Cool ...
I do have a question I see you have a ton of tomatoes . Is that an up to date picture .
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7195705

Yes, the photo was taken Oct 1- We had our first freeze about 10 days later, and now the garden is all gone. I had hundreds of green tomatoes on the vines when they froze- I think the late cool Spring delayed them- they should have ripened, but regardless, I had a huge bounty of tomatoes this year. They were Celebrity-one of my all time favs, Early Girl, Dinnerplate, Pineapple, Beefmaster among others. Some of them grew 2ft above my 6ft fence, and I had to top them off. I am already planning for next year- I am having a second pyramid built. I will grow Baby Bok Choy, lettuce, and other small veggies along with herbs, and some flowers.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #7198400

sorrry you lost your maters .. down here they would have been fried green ...yummy
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2010
3:20 AM

Post #7480909

I'm just wandering around DG but wanted to say I love that pyramid! Hope you post some photos in the spring:) Wonder who I could trick into making me one:lol:
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7506391

I am really getting antsy waiting for Spring! Every day that will allow, I am working outside. This week I have modified my pyramid, adding some plastic edging to each compartment to allow for more soil, and hopefully less water runoff. It is now filled with some prime compost, and awaiting some strawberry plants to be shipped. I will also have some herbs and small veggies in it.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2010
10:52 PM

Post #7506395

Here's a longer shot showing some other new beds. The 2 tier square will have carrots in the deep center with lettuce around the edges.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7506402

And here I just put about 60 rooted garlic bulbs in. I just stuck them in a shallow pan indoors with moist coir, and they had roots in 3 days. I had great results last year.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7507757

I love how it all looks--even empty:lol: Looks like you're off to a great start for the 2010 season:)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7515010

I've heard of being ready but you have even dug the holes!!! I'd say you are ready!!! Also you have put me to shame!!!! LOL!!!!! I haven't even thought about ready! There is the Super Bowl, then Mardi Gras, then think about getting ready.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7515601

Jeri, I once lived in LA-Bossier City- for many years, and I loved being able to grow something all year round. Up here that's not possible, but I have set up an indoor greenhouse in my sewing room.Here's what it looks like today. I have 3 nice Husky Red Cherry Tomato plants-(just an adventure-I don't know if they will mature or not), several overwintering Coleus, and assorted seedlings for cold weather veggies- Baby Bok Choy, a pointed head Cabbage, Cilantro, etc. I love watching things grow. Where is Central?

Thumbnail by JoParrott

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7515606

Terribly blurry photo! Sorry.
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7530348

Jo,
Your garden design is great. Can't wait to see how the plants look. Good idea with the edging in the pyramid.
Johanna
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7531812

Love your new feature, Jo. I can imagine it with baby lettuces as well so it wouldn't be overwhelmed and lose the unique identity it has.

We also grow Celebrity, Early Girl and Beefmaster. Hard to believe we have to wait so many months to have good tomatoes again. We won't buy the baseballs they sell as tomatoes in markets.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #7532363

I just planted some Carrot seed tape in half of the center square- will do the other half in a few weeeks. Also have some baby Romaine lettuce from Park,and baby bok choy that is sprouted in my indoor greenhouse.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7554039

Since I had a request for the pyramid plans, here is where I found it- they are interesting folks.
http://www.runnerduck.com//strawberry_tree.htm

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7648755

Hi Jo!!! Just a little MIA since last reply!!!! Good Superbowl party I guess!!! LOL!!!!

Yea there is a big temperature difference between here and there. I can see making a lot of adjustments to your growing methods!!!! I think you're making the changes nicely though. I just bought 6 Superbush tomatoes from Forrest Hill last week when we ran up there to check out the market. It was very sad. Things are months behind where they normally are this time of year. Really sad after all that harsh winter we received this year. I think old man winter got us confused and sent La. the weather intended for Wa. LOL!!!

Central is located just north of Baton Rouge. We are in East Baton Rouge parish but suceeded from the city in July, 2005 and became the 12th largest city in the state. The end of August, 2005 Hurricane Katrina hit and overnight we became the 10th largest city in the state.
gilraen
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7648872

That IS gorgeous, JoParrot. Wish I had someone who could build it for me. In the meantime, I envy you.

So when is it spring in Washington, so you can post pictures?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7648880

beautiful, love your new beds and structures. so nice to have someone close that can build them for you.

Glad to hear you survived Katrina!

Janet
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7649148

I think spring is really close- the night temps are still chilly-right at freezing, but 60's days, so I hope to start putting some things out soon. I just repotted all my tomatoes & peppers into bigger styro cups, and take them out for a few hours sun each day. I will be posting photos as soon as anything looks big enough! By the way- my neighbor moved- boohoo- no more garden stuff being built- but I am full anyway- no more space! Take care, everyone-
GracenWillis
Murfreesboro, TN

April 2, 2014
1:43 PM

Post #9803505

JoParrott, thank you for sharing your pyramid garden! I saw this just today on FB. I see this was first posted in 2009; are there any additional updates you've made since then?
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2014
7:23 PM

Post #9803751

I made a copy of the instructions. I would love to build this. Maybe after I get my greenhouse done. Thanks for sharing. Now you know how the postings can help someone years after. Thanks.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2014
6:56 AM

Post #9803958

The pyramid didn't work well for me- not enough depth for the soil. We have hot winds here that dry things out badly. So I totally remade them, and have been growing killer carrots in the 2 top tiers, and lettuce, bok choi, etc in the bottom tier. There are carrots about 1" tall in them now, and bok choi barely up.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America