Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Yard to vase - Fall 2009 series

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 115, Views: 478
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
7:12 AM

Post #7125987

It is finally starting to feel like fall here. After a weekend of 100 degree days, we are cooling down to the 70's. The drop in temperature signals the end of summer, and the fall bloomers get the spotlight. Please post your fall flowers here as they look in your garden, and in indoor arrangements. I would love to see what you use from your garden to tie your arrangements together. New for me this year are the taller and larger diameter dahlias. Here is Pennhill Dark Monarch.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
7:18 AM

Post #7125989

I wanted to get home early enough to do an arrangement when there was enough natural light. But I got home too late, and here is a quickly thrown together arrangement. Not exactly what I wanted, but the light was fading fast and furious. I have a rather inexpensive camera, and the flash always washes out the color, especially the darker colors. So, I did not get the chance to tinker with the arrangement to get it the way I wanted. Paired up with it is Kevin Floodlight - a wonderful bloomer that is going on it's fifth week.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
7:17 AM

Post #7146998

Another fall favorite for me is the Japanese anenome. These white ones are much taller than the purple ones that I have. I started out with just a few starts that a friend dug up from her garden, and it has spread throughout the yard. I keep them in check by yanking out about 90% of the whole plants after the blooming season.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
7:20 AM

Post #7147001

I use them as filler in arrangements, but they are also great looking on their own. The blooms last for at least 4 days.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 8, 2009
9:01 AM

Post #7147078

I'll have to remember that Japanese anemones can be used as cut flowers.
I have the white & a pink here.
Never seen a purple, have you any pics of that?
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7148280

Lovely Dianne, I'll have to remember to find some anemones as they are a real nice cut. Thrown together or not those dahlias are beauties.
Here is one I made with the wacky gourds I grow.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7148290

This is one I made the other day with my salmon dahlias and more wacky gourds.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7148296

Here is one from the end of September, I love the colors this time of year, it is the only time I like the color orange!

Thumbnail by haighr

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
7:03 AM

Post #7150357

Candee - I love the fall colors of your dahlias. I am going to have to get some next year. I guess you have to dig your tubers up and store them for the winter? I am going to just leave mines in the ground and see how they fare.

Teresa - I call my other Japanese anenome purple, but they are really purplish pink. So they may be the same as yours? Here is a picture from a month or so ago. They bloom earlier than my white ones.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
7:06 AM

Post #7150359

And here they are massed together. They spread like wildfire here. I have to constantly dig out the sprouts. These purplish-pink ones only last a couple of days. The white ones are much, much better for arrangements. But, if you only want something for just one day for a specific occasion, it does look nice and elegant.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 9, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #7150384

they are very pretty, much deeper colour than mine.
I don't know about in a vase but my pinks last days in the garden.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #7150560

Oh how delicate they are and lovely colors.
Yes Dianne I am waiting for them to finish as they are still blooming like crazy and then must pull up the pots (I stopped putting them directly in the ground a few years ago as I always forgot some.) Now I bury the pots and then lift them and dump and wash and store.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7151721

That pink one is lovely - that one looks closer to the white one so it should last in a vase too.

Candee - what kind of pots and what size do you put your dahlia tubers in? Do you fill with regular garden soil when you bury them again (how deep?) in the spring? And do you have to divide each year as they multiply, or do you not have to divide that often? I lifted up some tubers that have been in the ground for about 5 years and it was really dense. But, they were the border dahlia types with small flowers.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #7156747

Another fall standby is the sedum "Autumn Joy." There are a lot of varieties of Autumn Joys - ranging from light pinks to purples, with most of the colors darkening as the blooms matures.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #7156753

This is the indoor shot. Hard to get a good representation of the color with a flash.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7156760

I took the vase outside the next morning to get a photo without having to use the flash. Needless to say, I did not bring this vase to work. I took the flowers, and put them into a generic metal vase. Still nice, but I really like the contrast of the pinkish-maroon flowers and gray pottery.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #7163784

Roses are the mainstay of many gardens. I only have about 4 roses due to my limited yard space. One of my favorites is this shrub rose - which I always thought was a Cecil Brunner that I grew from a cutting that I got from a friend. I have been told that it is not a Cecil Brunner, but until I figure out what it is, I will just continue to call it that for lack of a proper name. This plant starts of with a blast of flower in May - as shown here

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
4:57 AM

Post #7163788

It blooms on and off all summer, and here it is in October, 5 months later. It supplies a nice splash of color as fall rolls in and most plants start to die off.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #7163790

One nice thing about the fall growth is that the stems tend to be longer, making it possible to use a taller vase. The color is a little deeper and richer in the fall - more of a coral pink than the softer pinks of springtime. If any of you know the proper name of this rose, please let me know. One note of caution - this rose is full of thorns, on the stems and little thorns on the leaves. I had to wear a pair of gloves in order to comfortably handle the stems.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7165039

Your arrangements are lovely Dianne, I really like the one with the gray pot and bowl.
I put my tubers in 1qt. plastic pots from the nursery (saved from previous purchases). I just dig a hole the size of the pot and put them in. I pot them in regular soil or sometimes use some potting soil or a mix of both, doesn't really seem to matter. Whatever I have on hand.
When I pull them up this time of year, I just wash them off and separate the really big ones and let them dry then into a grocery bag to the basement until next season.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7165495

Candee - did you mean to say 1 gallon plastic pots? Some of the tubers are quite big for the 1 qt pots. How deep do you put them? And with regular watering of the garden, the water penetrates the pots via the holes at the bottom and from the top? I got and am getting more dahlias this year, and am looking for the best way to grow and maintain them. I do not want to dig up every year and was hoping to be able to dig and divide every other year.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7167982

Yep meant 1gallon pots. I just put them in the ground the size of the pot which is about 9" deep and about 6-8" diameter. I don't do much watering after the beginning of the season, just let nature take its course. I water them regularly when first planted cause they like it a bit moist to start but after that nature takes over. It does make it easy for digging as I never have to worry about splitting a tuber with the shovel. I just loosen the ground around the pot and lift.
I think every other year to divide would be fine, I seldom divide mine, just lift and store and the following year plant the same, sometimes overwintering they drop off the main stem by themselves as it seems I always have more than I thought I stored?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #7192534

Another installment of dahlias here. I got 8 dahlia plants this year, and I have been thrilled with them. I am now a dahlia fan. The dark purple is "Storm Warning", the white and purple is Ferncliff Illusion. I did not know that they were similar shades of purple until they bloomed, so it turned out to be a good pairing.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #7192540

And here they are in a vase. These dahlias have been great in supplying fall arrangements. The main bloom of some of the larger variety is a little too big for general arrangements, but the secondary blooms are a fairly good size.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #7193552

I love the big white but can't figure out how to use them in an arrangement like you say they are sooo big.
That is beautiful with the dahlias and the rose.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #7193778

I put my big white in a bowl.

Thumbnail by haighr

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7194019

Has anyone tried them under water? Sounds pretty...just don't know if they would last.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2009
5:20 AM

Post #7202750

Zinnias is another flower that I have seen in many fall arrangements, but was never organized enough to remember to plant the seeds in time for it to grow. But, this year, I managed to put some seedlings in sometime in Mid-June, and planted some seeds in July. Both produced flowers, and they are still going strong. This is definitely a keeper in my garden.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2009
5:21 AM

Post #7202751

an overview amongst other plants

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #7202753

and in a vase. They are supposed to be good reseeders, so I hope that is the case for me.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 27, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #7212324

gardenia from my in-laws garden, looks a bit worse for wear as I had it tucked behind my ear before taking it inside & floating it in this little heart shaped glass dish

Thumbnail by dalfyre

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #7213001

Dalfyre, gardenias are so pretty and the smell, wish we had DG smell software. Bloom looks really big.

Soilandsand, my lions tail is still trying to bloom, we have had two really frosty mornings but it is close to the house and has so far still standing. We have had so much rain, if we could get some sunny days I think it would pop with color. This morning was the worst frost, so I will see what happens. Course I may not have any other blooms to put with it...
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7213060

I feel your pain there happ - I made two last arrangements a week ago Sunday and which I had cut every bloom as I had loads of zinnias and dahlias still out there but got a really heavy frost that night and all was lost. I had one huge bed of 4' salvia that was just wiped out as well and it was close to the house. Dang
Thank goodness for Dalfyre with spring just sprung. And Dianne as well with that everlasting bloom weather and such a lovely vase! Both of you are bringing sunshine my way on yet again another dreary rainy cold day!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7213892

Yep, we appreciate all those opposite continents that bring us pictures of such lovely blooms, while we make it thru the winter.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 3, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #7235608

late spring here & my anemones & ranunculus are looking good so I thought I would pop a few in a vase & see how well they last...
the vase is a brass one, part of a pair that my father gave me many years ago.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 3, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7235619

back to front...
this is where they came from

Thumbnail by dalfyre

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7236074

How pretty, dalfyre, those are just beautiful. Having a vase with a memory makes it so special. I love my vases but the ones that are given to me make them even more special...
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #7236153

Very elegant, Dalfyre. I love those two types of flowers.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 3, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7236177

first time I have grown them so I am on a bit of a learning curve with them.
Transplanted two today - they were looking sick so I hope they survive.
I put them next to a healthy looking one in a different garden, completely different soil & conditions on opposite sides of the driveway.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #7236658

Anyone who can actually grow those ranunculus is very special in my book. I just cannot get one to survive past getting it home! Beautiful dalfyre!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 4, 2009
9:24 AM

Post #7239802

well if I had more time this morning I would have had an iris in a vase...
my lovely flower spike snapped off at the base.
We had ferocious wind gusts this morning.
I don' know how iris does as a cut flower but it would have been nice to try rather than having to leave the poor fallen stalk just lying there to wither.
Blasted bus didn't leave on time anyway so I would have been ok if I had stopped for a moment to try rescuing it.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 4, 2009
9:26 AM

Post #7239805

typing that reminds me I spotted a real blooper on the front page of our local rag this morning...
referred to an apple 'stork'.
No not a new bird - they meant stalk.
How bad is that!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7242484

I cut iris alot for cut flowers and take to work, because I am at work more than home during the week. They keep a few days and I am usually pulling the old blooms off while new blooms are opening. Mine smell and if I cut very many I have to put them out in the main office because the smell gets really strong...LOL

It might still of been good when you got home, they are pretty tough.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 5, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #7244955

well the iris was still lying there so I figured what the heck...
put some nemesia in as filler & stood them in front of my other arrangement.
Is that cheating ^_^

Thumbnail by dalfyre

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #7246976

Boy your other arrangement is holding up well. Those flowers are just beautiful. Love the iris with it. The other bud should open up for you. I am going to get some of those white and purple ones if they are hardy in my area.

Update, Lions tail is still trying to make it. We have had 3 hard frost, the last I looked the other day they were a little droopy, but has since stood back up except for the very tip looked nipped. Two days in the 70's this week so fingers crossed I get blooms before it freezes.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7247391

Lovely dalfyre -
Fingers cross happ, are you expecting high 60's the next few days like we are? If so bet you beat the freeze.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 6, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #7248113

and here we have it the next morning...
I am glad I took the advice to try & save them!

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 6, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7248121

close up of the iris bud fully opened.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7249170

Those blues sure go together well with the white. I also started using irises in my bouquets last year - it looks fine as long as you pinch off the wilted blooms regularly and let the closed ones open as Happgarden noted too.

Happgarden - good luck with your lion's tail. It sure is taking it's sweet time to open up loL.

I need to go out and pick some flowers before they all disappear.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7249965

I just love iris, I live about 4 miles from an iris farm with about 20 acres of iris and in the spring you can go see them in bloom, beautiful. Beautiful bouquet, the flowers seem to belong together.

We have had an unseasonably cold summer and rain every two or 3 days and I think that is why the lions tail is taking so long, just no sunshine or heat. Nov has been warmer than Sept ever thought about. It is planted on the west side of the house so it doesn't get sun until late, probably not good on my part...but there is always next year, and maybe this year.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #7251151

Lovely blues. Nice setting for the vase as well among your photos!
Here is my yard to vase, not much in bloom, just working with sticks, pods and such.

Thumbnail by haighr

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7251236

That is a very nice fall arrangement. Very creative. I don't have imagination like that.

Checked on the lions tail and they are still standing, I guess it is possible I missed them blooming...but they have little orange knobs that look like they are growing.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

November 8, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #7253411

SO many beautiful photos! I can't wait to play with flowers again. I am feeling better finally after 6 months. I have a long way to go though. Keep up the good work!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #7253583

Candee - what a neat arrangement - I like seeing how you can put non-blooming items and make a great display.

Sally - I didn't realize you were feeling poorly. I am glad to hear that you are better now. Looking forward to seeing what you have in the months to come.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #7255388

Thanks everyone, it is dried astillbe, wheat, cattails, siberian iris pods, a bit of fall foliage from my azaleas and a lotus pod - if you were wondering.
Sally, you just take it easy and enjoy what we are making for you and you can return with your creations when you are 99%!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

November 9, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7256462

OK! I will enjoy!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 9, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #7257136

I decided to try again with an iris & anemone arrangement & then added some blue ranunculus as well .

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Sallysblooms
South, TX

November 9, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7257447

I love it, love the blues and white!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #7259311

Very soft and homey feeling, makes you want to just stop and smell the flowers!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 10, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7260689

certainly brightens the room & helps distract from the lack of recent dusting... ^_^
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #7262716

That is such a beautiful color combination. They look so delicate and soft.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2009
9:23 AM

Post #7275630

Here are some blues from my garden - blue asters. I moved my patch earlier this year, so this is thinner than usual. Hopefully it will fill out next year. When I first planted them, I did not know that they were going to be so tall (about 4 ft) , so I had to move them further back.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2009
9:23 AM

Post #7275631

In a vase...

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2009
9:30 AM

Post #7275633

Then decided to experiment by adding a few more items - still had some white Japanese anemones blooming, and the Tulbaghia fragrans is just starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2009
9:32 AM

Post #7275635

Still not quite right, so I added some white roses.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7276102

Beautiful as usual. I have asters but they never do well for me. Usually the leaves end up curling and turning crunchy. I don't know if I have them planted where it is too dry or I have a diease of some kind.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #7278467

Thanks, Happgarden. Sorry about the problem you are having with your asters. The place where I have the asters do not get too much water, so some varieties do tolerate a certain amount of dryness. I hope they do better for you next year.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7278745

Dianne that is an arrangement that truly keeps getting better and better, started out nice but became beautiful! The rose really set it off.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 17, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7281316

love the blue asters with the Japanese anemones...
I have the anemones, and I have seen asters growing around here so know they would survive in my garden.
I just need some white roses to go with it, have mainly reds & pinks.
I was deadheading & decided to cut my white peonies.
I think they stand a better chance indoors the way the winds have been here!
I didn't want to waste the leaves I trimmed so picked some white nemesia, there was one solitary pale lavender one that I didn't notice until it was in there.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 17, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #7281323

I decided to find some more of the pale lavender, by the time I added more nemesia I needed a bigger vase.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 17, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7281330

not a very good shot of the peony buds, they will look better once they open.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #7283196

Just a thought, but how bout you cut those peonies back shorter and get rid of the leaves and put them in a shallow vase or in several individual bud vases in a grouping?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #7285117

Those nemesias sure are versatile. I still need to get myself some.

Here is my last dahlia for the year. This is Earl. The main bloom had already fallen off - these are the two secondary blooms.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #7285129

Here it is in a vase. I added some variegated mock orange leaves to it, but I think these large dinner plate dahlias are better appreciated in the yard than in a vase.

My first dahlia bloomed in June, this last one in November. So, as a plant type, you can get a variety of dahlias blooming over a very long season.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 18, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #7285213

if the peonies are true to form they will open into quite big heavy flowers & I don't have any sturdy enough bud vases to cope.
I do have an idea for using a bowl but need the flower open to do it...
I am glad I cut them because today was wet & nasty.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7286021

Stunning - I know my dahlias would have bloomed a long time too except we had that one bad frost and zap!
Cant wait to see them open dalfyre.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 19, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #7290312

gift flowers, don't know what they are...
the lady that brought them in said you don't see much of it around.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2009
8:07 AM

Post #7292076

All the pictures are just stunning...
dalfyre those are really pretty. I have seen those before but can't think of the name. Don't remember them being that eye catching on the plant tho.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #7292358

What a wonderful gift you have received. Just in time for the holiday season. I don't know what they are but they are lovely.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2009
10:11 AM

Post #7298927

Dalfrye - those flowers look awfully familiar, but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name.

Nerines are always a dependable fall bloomer. My only complaint about this plant is that I cannot seem to get it to multiply. I have about a 80% return rate every year, so in order to keep the patches that I have, I have to buy some every 4 years or so. Here is the darker pink ones.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2009
10:13 AM

Post #7298932

Here it is in a vase. I added a few of the lighter color ones. They do form seeds, but I have not seriously tried to grown any from them. Maybe I'll try this year.
Candee - either you or Terri has some of these. Do yours multiply?

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7300557

Nice Dianne love the mauveish colors in that flower. I don't have any of them, but would like to get some!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #7309419

Those blossoms do and don't look like my surprise lilies? Or what my Mom called naked ladies because there isn't any leaves when they bloom. Mine bloom around July...not quite that dark and mine have fatter petals?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #7310195

Hi Happgarden - Nerines, surprise lilies (lycoris) and naked ladies (Amaryllis belladonna) are all different, though they share the same characteristics of blooming when there are no leaves. Nerines (I have Nerine bowenii) are late bloomers while the other two bloom earlier as you noted.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2009
8:22 AM

Post #7313129

Mums are another fall flower staple. These are the small button ones.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2009
8:23 AM

Post #7313132

And in a vase. It was time to cut down the canna so I used a few of it's leaves.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7325112

Very nicely done Dianne, those cannas really set it off.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #7328062

Just lovely.

I did this simple arrangement yesterday from my loropetalum trimmings and a few leaves of canna Bengal Tiger.

Thumbnail by bigred

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7328267

Thats beautiful! How did you get them to stand like that?
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7328282

Oasis foam and I left a good bit of stem(4-5") on the canna leaves to poke down in the foam.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7328284

Very nice!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7328323

Thanks. Nothing like the real thing even if it is only foliage.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #7329494

Very pretty both of you.
Didn't dawn on me that bigreds was just foliage until they said that...LOL

I want some late blooming not naked ladies...LOL I am going to have to look them up. Probably not hardy in my area. Kind of like me...don't think I am hardy here either...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 6, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #7340360

sweet pea, nemesia, anemone & mystery flower that looks like a pink freesia but I am told isn't...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #7341500

Very springy dalfyre, nice addition as I am sitting here in the snow!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #7343774

Dalfyre - very nice. I think that pinkish flower may be a tritonia. If it doesn't have a fragrance, it is not a freesia. Tritonias don't smell, and the leaves are quite short. Do you have a garden photo of it?

Bigred - using leaves is a great idea for this time of the year for those of us in the northern hemisphere. That is nice dark purple on your loralpetalum and nicely contrasts the canna leaves. Does the flower of the lorpetalum make good cut flowers?

The variegated ginger - Alpinia zerumbet - is a great candidate for that use.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #7343789

Here it is in a vase. Just so that it is not exactly like last year's arrangement, I added a few stems of Russelia equisetiformis.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #7343794

And to keep in the spirit of the yard to vase theme - here is the R. equisetiformis in the yard. I cut the longer stems off - leaving a lot of the shorter ones. This plant has reddish firecracker like flowers in late spring.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #7343802

Happgarden - I looked up Nerine and they are only hardy down to zone 8b so your 6a would be a bit too cold. I would invite you out to California to thaw out, but we are expecting frost and below freezing temps for the next few days - I hope my tender perennials survive.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2009
5:23 AM

Post #7343812

Teresa - could your mystery gift flower be a Kalmia latifolia? How long did it last in the vase??? The color of the flower in the photo below is different, but they come in all colors. The unique shape of the unopened bloom looks the same.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/114042/

This message was edited Dec 7, 2009 10:04 AM
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #7344063

soil,
I'll have to let you know. I've always used the trimmings for arrangements after pruning the shrubs and they've never been in bloom when I've trimmed them. Have some others in another part of the yard I haven't pruned yet. I'll wait until it blooms,cut some and let you know.

P
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 8, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7346881

Soils - yes the mystery red flower was a Kalmia, one of the Aussie group ID'd it for me & the lady that gave it to me confirmed it.
I think my pink flower is tritonia, definately not freesia.
No scent & the lady who gave the bulbs to MeeMum said they weren't...
but not what they were ^_^
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7347967

Soil, right now I would take 20, I have 6 inches of snow and will get down to 5 tonight with more snow coming and 30 mile an hour winds. Snow (except for driving to work in it) is a good thing because it will insulate the plants. I put out lots of bird seed for the birdies because they can't get to the ground now. Heater in the pond. Funny thing 40 miles south where I work there isn't any snow...LOL I didn't call in but I can see one day calling in because of snow and it being dry as a bone down here...LOL

Beautiful arrangement, I miss the pretty flowers. Nothing blooming in the garden room, not enough sunshine right now but the plants seem healthy and green.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #7352943

Happ - the chance of snow predicted did not happen. But, it got down to 24 degrees F last night again. My brugmansias are goners.

I took this photo of my Tulbaghia fragrans a few days before the frost hit. some of the mature blooms are slightly wilted after the two frost days, but the plant itself will survive, and continue to bloom until next spring. It is a great winter bloomer for mild 9a zones.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #7352964

Since I did not pick the flowers in time before the frost hit, I am showing the vase arrangement from last year. This variety does not smell like it's garlicky cousin, but has a subtle nice fragrance so that it is suitable for indoor use.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2009
11:32 AM

Post #7354650

Nothing out there to look at now so I cut hydrangea heads and grass plumes for my Xmas tree and wreath for the mantel.

Thumbnail by bigred

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7359025

Bigred, that is really pretty.

SoilandSand, sorry you didn't get any snow...I have some I can to send you... ;)

This spring I will be happy to send you cuttings of the brugs I have several different kinds, just dmail me. I could send them early if I find a small cooler to keep them from freezing. Have several in the solar room and several more in the garden room. Some are named and some are unknown. I would be so sad if I lost my brugs and gingers. I did remember way after the fact I forgot to dig up my favorite red dahlia and a couple of cannas so I was sad about that but nothing like if I had lost the brugs. Temps went to single digits about 5 and winds 30+ miles an hour and wind chill way below 0. After a certain point it is just too cold to tell how cold it is.
It is really pretty today sun and snow, the birds are all over the feeders. I forget how many cardnials I have. They are beautiful against the white snow, so red and bright.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
6:35 AM

Post #7387054

Thank you so much for your generous offer of brug cuttings!! I only have the white color one - it was White Diane - since my name is Dianne, I had to get it.
Bigred - nice use of fall material.

Today is the last day of fall, and with that, the end of this series. The 4 days of below freezing weather we had here two weeks ago took it's toll on most of my tender perennials. But, this rose is still in bloom.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2009 10:36 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
6:38 AM

Post #7387057

And here it is in a vase. Don't know the variety, but this one has a super long bloom period.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 21, 2009
9:46 AM

Post #7387156

that is a nice rose.
I like the more unusual colours, like blues & coppery hues...
along with everything else rose related ^_^
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7387883

Oh, soilandsand, that is soooo pretty. I had roses blooming really late this year. We stayed pretty mild until we dropped to single digits. I hope it didn't kill my roses dropping like that. I don't think I feed mine enough. This winter I am going to do some reading and write a plan out on the calender and see if that helps me stay on schedule.

OK dalfyre you will have to keep us occupied with pics now... ;) while we get thru our deep freeze.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 21, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #7388410

It is a stunner of a morning, a little on the fresh side but calm & sunny - just right for taking photos & doing some gardening, hanging xmas lights...
so what on earth am I sitting here for?
Just can't resist catching up with my DG friends first ^_^
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #7388786

Sounds like a great day for you!!! It is overcast, and sprinkling here. But, we need the moisture so it is a good thing. I have not done a bit of holiday decorating yet - will take out a few things tonight, but leaving the majority of the decorations in storage.

I bought about 10 new plants over the last two months - all with bloom period from late summer to frost. We had an early frost this year, but sometimes, we don't get heavy frost until Jan or Feb. so I am keeping my fingers crossed that those new purchases will help fill the flower gap during late frost years.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 22, 2009
9:21 AM

Post #7390068

well I didn't get the camera out but i spent the morning spraying weeds down the driveway & then tried a product on the deck that is supposed to clean it in 30 seconds.
What a huge rip off that was.
In the fine print it says you 'may' need to leave it longer, and it took a ton of elbow grease scrubbing with the broom to get any improvement.
and I don't think it made all that much difference anyway.
I got my lights out of the wardrobe & tested them, needed to replace a few bulbs but now have icicle lights up.
All I need to do now is put my tree up.. and buy hubby a gift.
no idea what to give him...
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #7390112

dalfyre,
sounds like you need a power washer

Suppose to be in the 60's today so I'm going to finish mulching the one bed I started right before Thanksgiving. Some below freezing temps took down my cannas so there's a nasty job need doing and I have 5 dogs to bath. Oh yea...what fun.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #7390260

I guess this could be considered an arrangement... ;D
Kidding, but we need some pics of warmer times.

Thumbnail by happgarden

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America