Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Sewing and Quilting: Tip / Technique of the Month

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 207, Views: 2,356
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #7126434

The attached photo was taken at the Jacksonville Quilt Show last weekend.

I was wondering if we would like to start a monthly tip / technique thread. Just to cover some basic how-to's or even to discuss some more complex techniques. There are often questions asked inside the threads & then they get burried inside the threads making them hard to find again. Many of the questions are asked often and I'm sure some are just not comfortable asking.

There are often a number of ways to construct some of the basic building blocks - some work better for some than others do. This way we can all share what we have learned during our quilting "lives". I think it would really help some of the new quilters and/or lurkers become more comfortable with joining the swaps.

Some topics I can think of are:

How to get an exact 1/4 seam: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1044900/
Making sure your 12" finished block is 12 1/2" raw - "squaring up": http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1046634/
Squaring Up 3-cut Block http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152142/
Making a Flying Geese Unit (there are many different ways to do this one)
Paper piecing : Nov 2009 - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053843/
Making 1/2 square triangles
Sashing, borders & bindings
Colors - value, saturation, tones
how to twirl the 4 (6, 8) seams coming together in the middle of a pinwheel
Cutting a (truly) straight strip & keeping it straight (no waves): http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1046634/
machine applique
Using the Correct Ruler; Those "designer" rulers
100% cotton - not all created equal ( thread count, finish, etc): http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074747/

Long Arm Info: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1134392

Dying & Transforming Fabrics: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196194/

etc

Treddle Sewing Machine Info: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077048/#new
And then we could also include links to help pages we know of.

So, if there is interest, I'd take the lead to get the Oct T / T started.

Let me know what you think.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2010 4:38 AM

This message was edited Jan 29, 2011 12:03 PM

This message was edited Jul 19, 2011 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #7126441

Jean, this sounds wonderful to me. It doesn't matter how long one has sewed or quilted there are always new ideas and techniques to be learned. Thanks for thinking of this idea.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #7126540

I think it's wonderful. Tip away!!!!
Catrscr
Hanford, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7126730

I think it's a great idea. I agree with abbisgranma... there is always more to learn.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7126797

YES, YES, YES! You all have so much to teach and you know I have been moaning for the last year about not being close enough to any of you so that you can teach me things like paper pieceing, so let the tips begin!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #7126804

For sure, always ready to learn more. I know I'm not a know-it-all yet. LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7126807

Jean, I think you have taken steps to start something that is going to be really helpful to all of us!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7126900

OK, but I definately can't do this all on my own. Some of you out there have been at this longer than I have and do wonderful work. Some of you new "kids" are also learing very quickly and doing a wonderful job.

Why don't we use this thread to capture the topics. I'll update the 1st posting. Then we can start individual threads for the topics.

Anyone should feel free to post questions or give input. Remember there is usually more than 1 way to do anything.
But there are a few quilting "rules" that are written in stone.

I'll start the 1st Tip thread later today. Guess we will start at the beginning: a 1/4" seam and a square square.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #7127009

Jean, we all need this, old and new!!
Thank you so much!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7127021

This sounds great. I'm just getting started with quilting, but I've sewn for years.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7127138

Want to share this from experience :(
If you can, stick to one brand for your measuring implements.
Elen
Paris
France

October 2, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #7127658

That' s a very good idea Jean. Here in France we're so late ! For example when you want to make a flying geese they teach you to cut all the triangles with scissors !!
I'm absolutly greedy with your techniques. I would like to learn more and more.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #7127735

Here's a handy helper...My hubby made me a turntable for using with my rotary cutters. It's so much easier to turn the table to cut another side than to move the fabric. I actually have 2, one larger for cutting out T-shirt designs and a smaller one, about 12" to use for regular quilt pieces.
He got the turn table at Lowes. Make sure it is the thinnest from top to bottom, they have several different ones. Check also that it turns smoothly.
He cut a circle of the desired size of birch plywood, and screwed the turntable to it.
Sand the edge of the plywood so fabric doesn't catch on it. I just set a cutting mat on top, but you could cut it to fit and glue it down.

Once you use this, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #7127887

great idea qwilter/ Jean !

and love the handy helper Karen...the ones you can purchase at the quilt stores are ridiculously expensive! I have wanted one for ages, never thought about making one this way...hmmmm... hubby/kids project for this weekend !! yup, yup, I think so...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7129042

I wonder how it would work if you just put 3 or 4 of those "Magic Movers" under a piece of plywood set on a smooth surface. Would it turn ???? I may have to experiment with that one.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
7:09 AM

Post #7129682

Thank you Jean, that's a wonderful idea. I have the commercial turntable and I wouldn't recommend it, it doesn't turn smoothly.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7130023

I was gifted one of the rotating mats. I must admit that I truly love it. Especially when you are using templates. You never need to remove your hand from the material so it stays in place. I have the 12" one but would love to have the 18" one too. Maybe I'll hint for Christmas???
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7130083

Hey Barb - is the company sleeping in???? How's it going???

I was also gifted the 12" rotating mat & have never used it. It always seems to be too small for what I'm working on. I may have to get it out for the next set of triangle trimming.

I have been collecting thoughts for the 1st thread. Need to finish Aug top 1st. It is gray & dreary out so a good time to be sewing.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7130221

Good morning - it's gray and dreary here too. The kids from Colo were at my daughter's home up the road last night. I know they really wanted to take the girls to the ocean today but maybe not with this horrible weather. We here in NH take the ocean for granted and don't think about not being near it!!! I'm sure I'll hear from them soon.
We did have a really late night. My whole family was together for the first time in five years. The ones from COLO had never met the youngest niece/cousin. She is only two. It was a truly wonderful afternoon and evening. I got some wonderful pictures that I will cherish always. Between good chatting in the afternoon to a spectacular barbeque to a wonderful time around the firepit to let's play Wii bowling to Norm had a flu shot today and I needed to get him home to bed. It was just so much fun. And it was so fulfilling as a mother to see my grown children laughing together like they were still kids. And to see all the children (14, 11, 9, 8, 6 and2) so happy to be together. We try very hard to keep the Colo bunch included in everything going on back east and vice versa.
Oh my, I didn't mean to ramble. Just can't contain my happiness today I guess.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7130297

that's the kind of rambling that is wonderful to read so you ramble on as much as you want :) it dawned clear, crisp, cold and sunny here. I should be out mowing but I'm not! grass can wait. I hear fabric calling to me.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7130344

Oh I can so relate to you Sondra. Fabric has a much louder voice than the grass does any day. Barb, I think your rambling was a very happy Mother and well you should be!! Keep it coming as it is so much fun to read.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7130505

Barb - glad to hear it is going so spendidly. Being an only child I miss out on all that "family" stuff. I do have a cousin I was always close with so her kids are like mine and then they all now have kids so I do have them to keep up with (1 family rents my house in FL) but I do miss "family-based" activities. DH's 2 kids are in MA and we rarely hear from them.
The sun has come out in MD and it is warming up. I even have windows hanging open.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7130530

Arn't reunions fun? I love it when my kids get together an talk about the things they remember from their childhood. It is never the things I would have thought, rarely the big expensive things but the little ones. And when their spouses join in we learn more about them and their families, too.

That rotating table sound wonderful. I hate having to move things around; always afraid I will get it off the mark.

When I first started doing these swaps with you all I had a really hard time with the 1/4" seam, especially with patterns from quilterscauche. Even with a 1/4" foot I was always making blocks that were less than 12.5. Learned when they said "scant" they really ment it!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #7132888

Come here for the 1st tip - 1/4" seams

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1044900/
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7141720

I've been asked about making this a [Sticky] topic meaning it would sit at the top of the forum. I could link all the other tip/technique threads from this one so we would always be able to get back to them.

The Admins will do this for us, but I don't want to do so if there is not enough interest/desire.

So, let me know what you think and if ther is enough interest, I'll ask the Admins to indeed make this [Sticky].

Also, I don't plan on monopolizing all the possible topics. A lot of you out there are extremely talented and I would love for you to host a technique of your choosing (read: I DO NOT do paper piecing!!!!!!).

And, with more than 1 leader, we could run 2 a month.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #7141826

You got my vote, go for it. The more tips the better.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #7141904

Mine too.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7142549

same here...and qwilter you are so good...I vote you start and anyone can add to it...Unless of course there is someone who has a tip and they want to start a topic...

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #7144244

Yes, make it a 'sticky'

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #7144710

love the cat... is he/she claiming the quilt top??? LOL
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #7144848

I "vote" for Sticky, too.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #7145401

Catbird - like that bright quilt. Guess we are almost neighbors. Where do you do your fabric shopping?
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #7145468

I'd like to put in a request for someone to teach how to twirl the 4 seams coming together in the middle of a pinwheel block. I dislike the bump made by pressing all to one side.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7145780

good idea babeegirl! or like the joined seams in the middle of a pinwheel like the one posted here:

I've read where some quilters keep a rubber hammer with their sewing tools, to flatten the 'star' thats made at the center joint, after you twirl it open. I've only made the one block like that, and while it was a little bulky, it didn't detract from the pattern. I suppose after you layer the batting in between, it would hide any bulk. But depending on how it's quilted, it may be a problem at that point.

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #7145799

I added the "twirl" to the list in the 1st posting.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #7145800

exactly! mine always looks lumpy and messy and if you try to press from the front it makes the center kinda ugly. I can't seem to get that crisp look and I want to know the secret!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #7146188

welcome catbird, have not "seen" you here before, join in to have some fun, friendly quilting chatter, and swapping... Love LOVE that quilt...I am major fan of bright quilts !!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #7146659

Thanks Jean!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #7147247

Jean - what about a lesson on how to use the rulers and rotary cutters? It's so important - if your squares aren't cut correctly your quilt will never come out right. Things like squaring up your material before you start etc. What do you think?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #7147326

How about how to straighten fabric so when doing log cabin type or strip they aren't wavy in the middle?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #7147334

Marion - that's what I was referring to in the above post!! How funny is that?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #7147356

No there is actually another way to straighten fabric in addition to using the above method. Doing both is almost fool proof. I learned many, many years ago from a quilting teacher in her 80's at the time. Oh so glad I did take her class.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #7147571

I paper piece becuase of just the above problem. Any help very welcome.

Im guessing maybe I dont start with a straight cut to start with...I mean on the grain of the fabric, then things slide from there. Even with I rip the fabric, to get it straight on the grain, by the time its all said and done...my blocks are too small.. This very thing almost happened on my patriotic blcoks. I could use an entire semester on this subject.

Another thing I would love to learn...the supplies you need, etc, is for applique??...dont want to do it by hand, want to just heat bond the pieces and use the machine to finish. SO many things I like have both quilting and applique. I dont have the eyes for hand applique. Take those pineapples for instance...love them...but how do you get the leaves on.

maybe instead of all exchanges, we can do a block of the month, kinda together, and learning. Or any variation of keeping and sharing...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #7147628

I'll second the motion for a BOM, even a Mystery block would be fun! Maybe we could take all the blocks, do one of those Round Robin projects you all was talking about or pick a soldier or someone to donate it to...
OR use the blocks to decorate some of those wheelchair bags/totes that Sheila was asking for...? a 12" block with sashing would be enough for the pockets on the fronts... That would be a nice holiday surprise for the Vets or a local nursing home of choice

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7147988

Kizmo- my cat is Benny, he thinks anything that is on the floor must be held down. He also helps arranging the blocks to his preference. He and his brother keep me company while I sew.
Qwilter- when you are in Severn you are pretty close to me. Do you belong to the Annapolis Quilt Guild? I tend to go to Joanns mostly but sometimes Cottonseed Glory (not too often). I'm trying to use my stash as much as possible.
barefootT- I love bright colors, they are happy colors. I also find the cats look good on them too.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #7148339

Catbird, isn't that the entire purpose of a cat's life?

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7148345

Mine certainly think so!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7148361

I think it is an unwritten law in catdom.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7148427

Mine goes upstairs and steals cough drops off my hubby's nightstand, throws them down the stairs, then runs after them and tosses them all over the living room and kitchen like a mouse.. LOL We had to put them in the drawer to keep him out of them...

Thumbnail by Kizmo

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7148469

My daughter used to have one that did that with cherry tomatoes or grapes. What a mess at times!!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7150005

Mine do that with small pieces of anything(toys are good). We have to make sure all small pieces are hidden or you'll never know where to find them. Salem is also good at chewing mouse cords. I've lost 3 to him!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
10:46 AM

Post #7150492

catbirb - I'm on the other side of Severn - by Ft Meade & A Mills. We have 3 nice fabric shops over here (was 5 but 2 closed recently). Perhaps if you are over this direction I could show you around. You could come meet my 3 katz - none of whom were ever told they were cats.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7151280

OK, I've decided to write a book. Tips, stories, recipes, and pictures.
Anyone know a publisher????
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7151313

I think its a great idea...pictures..lots of pictures.

Maybe take a qulting survey...

1. What is the most amount of times you have sewn the same piece of fabric on the the same wrong place.

2. How many times have you sewn the same fabric on upsdie down, at the same place.

etc. ;-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7151330

Oh Pam, are you trying to get me to confess? LOL

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7151334

quilters aren't the only ones to do that!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7151362

And I can throw in some of my patterns...
Dar, if I didn't have a day job!!!!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7151393

Day jobs get in the way!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #7151400

Maybe I can "hire" Barb to help me. She will soon be snowed in & looking for indoor activities!!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7151477

Any time Qwilter!!!! I just finished my Christmas apron and my tote got mailed last week. Just have a birdhouse and an ornament and then some time is mine for family stuff for the holidays. Hope to get that stuff done within the next two weeks or so since some goes to Colorado and I want it mailed LONG before the holiday rush.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7152493

We are [Sticky]. Thanks Kizmo for doing the research!!!!!

I'm putting all the links to the other threads in the 1st post of this thread.

PS - I don't do machine applique either...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #7152769

you're very welcome, Jean! anything I can do to help... I'm afraid I haven't been quilting as long as you all, so I won't have many ideas to contribute, but I'll try! I hope everyone likes the new threads, we'll be able to tell by how many views it racks up!
Thanks again for a great idea!

PS If you get famous, will we be able to buy Tshirts and caps with your Fan Club logo and picture on it????????
morningglorie
Youngstown, NY

October 12, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #7160547

I think this is an excellent idea. We can never learn to much. I am interested in making a pineapple block quilt. Any hints.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #7160697

Is this the Pineapple block you are looking for:
http://www.quilterscache.com/P/Pineapple2Block.html

A much easier way to construct the block is to work it as a "normal" log cabin and add folded triangles in the corners. They just "slip in" with each round you make. You can leave the folded end loose and catch it when quilting or slip a tuny piece of fusible in and iron the edges down.

Unless you look very closely you will never know you "cheated" and didn't add all those tiny triangles.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7164539

Jean we need the directions for that !

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7164766

How do you figure out the amount of fabric needed for a quilt?
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7164861

you buy ALL the fabric you can sneak into the house and load up all your shelves, drawers, cabinets, and various other spaces available like the car trunk. That's the fun way. The other way is to do some form of fancy math I've never figured out.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 11:14 AM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7164885

ROFL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7164929

Just guess about how much you need then stash the leftovers.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7164992

You ask for this nice calulator thing that does all the numbers as a Christmas present and then you don't take it out of the box to find out how to work it (and now it is Oct.!). Has anyone seen those instructions? (mumble, mumble)

Why is it that comforters are always larger than the measurements for a quilt? I want to make a duvet cover but measuring is the pits!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7165166

when I make a t-shirt quilt, it's really a duvet cover. I buy the closest size comforter and then use my serger to cut it to the size I need. So make the cover first and go from there.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #7165633

I don't have to hide fabric from DH he is an enabler! We just checked out a store that had upolstery and other stuff. Some of it 4$ a yard. How cool is that? Any idea what the formula is?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7165680

Jumper - 1st how big do you want the quilt?
How big will the blocks be?
What block pattern?

If I know that, i can figure the rest out for you...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7166368

I believe about.com, and maybe quilterscache has a formula on their sites for figuring out yardages...
I just buy 1, 2, 3, or 6 yards depending upon how much I like the fabrics...what I don't use in one quilt, I know I will use in another...And I have been known to buy the whole bolt, a time or two...

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #7168894

DD needs a new quilt to go off to college with next fall, so maybe twin size. Don't know the rest yet. She is horse crazy, so would like to do something with that theme. Any ideas? I'm starting the planning now!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #7169300

So here is another questions to this topic. In making a quilt, all squares, (final squ. to 3" each), 2 tone, does the fabric have to be kept in the same direction. In other words when sewing this, the selvage up and down and then of course the rest will be cross grain? Is this squaring up? Thinking these two colors. I am working toward taking classes...

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #7169308

and this color

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7169314

and/or this color with white. Need cool looking, like in cold water.

Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #7169339

oh I love the middle one. It definitely looks like cool water!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #7169402

As long as you square up the fabric before cutting, and cut selvage to selvage, there will be very little difference in the "stretch" between top.bottom & side to side - as long as you don't pull on it.
The BIG stretch is on the diagonal. So, you can turn the squares either direction and be fine.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #7169418

So I wanted to use the first and second together just in squares will that work? The last one I'd use with white

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7169628

I think it would be just fine...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7169727

Ditto here. Really beautiful fabric Helene. Good thing you don't live closer or it might go missing. LOL
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #7171146

I have a beautiful pattern that would work with this color pallette, I'll try to find the picture.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #7171149

The focus fabric (CAT) is the way you determine the size of your square. Everything else matches up to that one measurement.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #7171573

good tip to know, also would determine what pattern to use to make the most of the focus? What about the coordinating fabrics?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7172646

Mittsy perhaps you qould share the pattern. helene
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #7174726

That is the pattern. It was at a guild meeting as a show and tell. I asked her if I could take a picture and she said sure, real easy, just adjust your sizes to the square. Many times there isn't a printed pattern, just someone's creative juices flowing.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
10:40 AM

Post #7174736

I'll pick a focus size and send out some numbers.
If those focus squares ar 4X4, then the smaller squares are 2X2 and the strips are 2 X4 - of course you need to add 1/2" to each when cutting. That will make a 12" block.

I think it's neat that the background then "pokes through" the middle of the block. Really does look like floating pieces.

I've been looking for a new pattern for a baby quilt and this might just do it. I have some cute pieces of fabric that would look nice in @ 3" squares...

hmmmmm where is that graph paper?????

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #7174902

The graph paper is on MY desk!!!!!! I'm thinking too...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #7174905

Ah, a quilter's best friend. I have tons still from when my hubby retired--even though he used the computer for most of his drawings for specs--he still loved his graph paper.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7174920

Me too!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #7174999

I'm doing the baby quilt with 3" (finished) focus fabric blocks.
As soon as the Heat Pump inspector is gone (yes, I was the 1st appointment of the day) I can get back to the sewing.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #7175080

so you are saying the cat is going to be 3" and then everything will be made to fit to make a 9" block?Yes? A picture would be very helpful
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #7175175

If the focus blocks are 3" (finished) the strips would be 1 1/2" (finished) and the block would finish 9".
This block is pieced in 4 sections. Each has a focus block, then strips along 2 sides which are 1/2 the width of the focus block.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

October 18, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7180813

I love that block too ooooooooooo the possibilities. Luuuuuuuuuuuv it

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7194606

Quoting:I'll pick a focus size and send out some numbers.
If those focus squares ar 4X4, then the smaller squares are 2X2 and the strips are 2 X4 - of course you need to add 1/2" to each when cutting. That will make a 12" block.

I think it's neat that the background then "pokes through" the middle of the block. Really does look like floating pieces.

I've been looking for a new pattern for a baby quilt and this might just do it. I have some cute pieces of fabric that would look nice in @ 3" squares...

how to figure yardage lets say for twin size quilt. 6 12" blocks by 8 12" blocks in mittsy's pattern.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7194615

So glad you are all having "fun" with this one. That was my immediate reaction, too. Couldn't wait to try it out with different sizes and fabrics..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7195322

I do need to post the pics of the baby quilt...

6 X 8 = 48 blocks
Each blocks has 4 focus blocks - 2 of each fabric so 96 each.

working with wof =40" you can get 9 squares out of each strip so @10 strips of fabric X 4 1/2" = 45" of each focus fabric (of course, if you plan to fussy-cut the pieces you will need more)

then you need 8 (2 1/2 X4 1/4 rectangles) per block X 48 blocks = 384 rectangles so 24 - 4 1/2" strips = 108"
(for the light colored background

of the dark background you need @3yds:
4 - 2 1/2" squares per block X 48 = 192 squares 12 - 2 1/2" strips = 30"
also you need the sashing from this fabric. 40 - 12 1/2" pieces - 3 per strip= 14 strips = 1 yd
then 9 strips @ 83" (width) - 1 1/2yd
2 strips @110" (length) - 1/2 yd

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #7196483

You must FUSSY cut the focus fabric(s) or you will lose the impact of the overall effect. I have a wonderful set of applique embroidery patterns for the calico cat and gingham dog. I'm working them on muslin to try this pattern, am thinking of a nice dark background for contrast.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #7196759

Thank you so much
What is fussy cut.?
T his one of the fabrics I am considering. I can't believe I am thinking of doing this. Cutting fabric apart just to put it back together again.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7196760

this is the other

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #7196765

this is the third- will this work

Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7196817

fussy cutting is where you find a motif that you like such as the face of a kitty and you cut a square around it so the motif is is the middle and is the focus of that particular piece of the block. For awsome examples, see the patriot blocks #2 thread to see how people fussy cut the stars to become the centers of the patch pieces.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #7196830

TU Learned one more imp. thing. This is a science! Yes?
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7196887

all through high school I never understood geometry until I started quilting! maybe they should have combined math class with Home Ec and it would have made sense to me lol...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #7197023

Helene, that black fabric in your post is really nice, did you get that online?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7197207

I am working with it. On line $5. http://www.fabrics.com bautiful stuff under sale items .
Tell me somewhere in checking out quilt patterns there was a black Japanese style quilt with large peonies blocks on the right hand side. Do you perhaps remember having seen it.? HD

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7197239

were you on a particular website or one of our threads? Maybe an ad on the right side of here??? They change all the time, but if you give me an around-about place to look, I'll keep an eye out..

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #7197243

I don't remember that's just it. It doesnt matter HD

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #7197310

Googled 'peony fabric' , wow! there's a ton of beautiful peony prints out there...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7198215

helene - although those are GREAT fabrics, I'm not sure they would do well for this pattern. This is a pattern where you use a picture print (the cats) or a large print that would loose itself if it were cut into smaller pieces.

Then you need a light fabric (foreground) and the dark for the background.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #7198470

thank you so much. I do understand. kizmo pointed this out to me as well. I am gettting the idea that it is not just simple cutting and putting back again. Wanted to go for quilting lessons, here in Bradenton near Sarasota, beautiful shop nobody signed up. They have an attitude but what a shame for such a large shop, I feel bad for them...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2009
10:08 AM

Post #7246755

Well, it is Nov so I better pick a topic.
I'm going to step outside my "comfort" zone here and go with paper piecing. For those in the year long swap, that block is coming up.
I'm hoping that those of you who use (like) the technique will jump in with your tips. I do admit there are times it comes in handy.

so come on over: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053843/

Thumbnail by Qwilter

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7293094

not sure where to ask this questions so i chose this:
Couldn't our group have a category in the photo contest next year? http://davesgarden.com/contest/2009/ so many beautiful photos. I noticed my friend "KatG" walked away with many wins.
or is there a category we could post our pictures next year? For example the beautiful tote bag by "heavenscape" and many other quilts and things?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7442049

Since I've just made a zillion, I think the 1st topic for 2010 is going to be 1/2 sq triangles. With some 1/4 sq added in.

Let me organize my thoughts, and I'll get a thread started over the weekend.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7442158

Thanks, Jean. I was going to suggest sometime maybe we could do some on fabric quality, threads per inch, etc., how it affects quilting, performance, etc. Pro's and con's of using one over the other. Maybe on the types of fabric, how to tell the difference, as sometimes a cotton fabric can feel really silky, and another one of a higher count won't, etc.
I realize most cheaper fabrics are a looser weave, but even tho the label says 100% cotton, it may not feel the same in hand. A little confusing to me, anyway. If you don't think there's enough to use for a monthly thread, maybe you can explain the difference to me... LOL
I purchases a piece of higher count black fabric, it felt like it was really heavily starched or whatever, as it almost had a waxy feel. I washed it 3 times, and it didn't fade, but still feels different than other fabrics... not sure why, and whether I would want to use it as a quilt fabric...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7443052

Quite often you can find KONA cotton on sale. It comes in solid colors and is my first choice of fabric for quilting. Just wonderful. Connecting threads also has good sales, especially on their charm squares or jelly rolls (2.5"width of fabric strips)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7544103

Next topic: 100% cotton - not all created equal ( thread count, finish, etc): http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074747/

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7544752

Since you quilt with so many different brands of fabric, could you maybe make a definition list of different types of cottons/fabrics? Is KONA cotton just the brand or a different type of cotton fiber?
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7544805

I have a wonderful friend at http://www.quilterscorner.forumotion.com that wrote an in-depth, extremely informative article about Kona fabrics. Let me see if she will help us out with some info about Kona.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7545001

Thanks!
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7596764

How about sewing curves? I tend to shy away from those. Does anyone have tips on how to sew curves well for blocks like Drunkards Path or New York Beauty?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7597113

I have never sewn one and would love to try it. Any suggesteions as to a pattern to try?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7597651

Drunkard path or a fan are good places to start. There ae some tips... I find many pins & clipping the curves work the best though.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7608171

My tip is to fold on the halfway mark and make a tiny crease with your fingernail, then fold left and right sides in to crease, and crease again, do this on both pieces, then match creases as you sew, sometimes pinning actually puts puckers in. Try several versions until you find one that works for you.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

April 18, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7715642

Drunkard's Path: There's a special foot called the Curvemaster for sewing curves. I am going to get one of these for the next time I do curved piecing.

But, when I first saw it, spending the $30 for a foot didn't figure in to my priorities, so I experimented with a button sewing foot - any short-toed foot will work, though. (on a vintage Singer, use the old fashioned quilting foot, on a vintage Kenmore, use the monogrammer foot, etc)

You can watch how the inventor uses the Curvemaster here: http://justcurves.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/day-2-as-a-blogger/ You need to watch it a couple of times to understand that she demonstrates what not to do, as well as what you should do. (It's an amateur video, but you'll get the idea. Something gets knocked off a table while the video is running - a box of buttons or something! I suspect it was the cat. LOL!)

Use the same principles with a very short-toed foot and a little more care for the right edge than you need to have with the Curvemaster.

Line up just the edge of the seam that you're going to sew, with the fabrics right sides together and with the concave curve on the bottom, curving down toward you and right and the convex curve on top, curving down toward you and then left, away from concave curve.

Take a few stitches at the 1/4" seam allowance to anchor the start.

Now pick up the convex-curved piece and hold it up off of the concave piece so that it doesn't touch until just before the two pieces come under the foot.

Guide the lower (concave) piece with your left hand and with your right, guide the upper (convex) piece as you sew, not allowing the two pieces to touch until just before the needle stitches them together.

Don't pay any attention at all to what's happening at the needle or behind it - only watch just before the needle, to keep the right edges aligned. The fabric is going to curl and wave behind the needle. As long as you keep those edges aligned and don't let the two fabrics touch too soon, you're going to end up with a nice block.

No pinning, no basting, no clipping.

If you're like me, you'll have to practice on ten or twelve before you feel really comfortable with this, but you'll be amazed at how easy and non-scary it is. So much less trouble than all the applique and easy "non-piecing" you read about all the time.

The reason I will buy the foot for the next batch of Drunkard's Path blocks that I make is that I think I'll be able to sew faster - it has a built-in "fence" to guide your 1/4" seam allowance, and appears to block the feed dogs on one side so that the concave piece is pulled around behind the needle, automatically. With the lower piece aligned all the way around the curve, all you have to worry about is keeping that upper piece lifted up.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7715764

I met the "inventor" at a quilt show last month & did buy the foot. Haven't used it yet, but it's on the to-do list.
It can also be used for getting a "perfect 1/4" seam on straight fabrics. Just but both fabrics up against the inner edge of the foot.
It was interesting how she sould sew that curve with no pins. Now to see if it is as easy in "real life".
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 10, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7780082

I just got started on a batch of drunkard's path blocks - I somehow managed to fall far short of the number of blocks that I needed for a king size quilt, so that's what I'm doing today.

Anyway... I'm using the Curvemaster foot and it really is just as easy as it looks. Even the very first block I did with it was perfect. I had some experience sewing these blocks with no pins or markings, already, so it will take a little bit of practice if you've never sewn opposing curves, before - but probably not more than a few blocks.

The Curvemaster is better than using the vintage-style quilting foot because of the fabric guide on the right side, and as I suspected, I'm able to sew faster. I have just about made a career out of buying quilting gizmos that don't work the way that they're supposed to, but if I had known that this one really does what it's advertised to do, I'd have broken down and spent the $30 a long time ago. :)

One thing that I really like about it is that it has adapters for ALL of my sewing machines, plus a few that I don't have, yet, so I can sew with it anywhere in the house. If you have a Bernina, you may need a separate adapter, but the ones that come with the foot cover everything else.

So that's my review of today's favorite notion. If you want to do curved piecing, you don't have to have this foot - but it sure makes sewing more fun! :)

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #8013769

I thought i'd open this for a bit. Ohh that scant 1/4", I could call it names.

When I brought my quilt to the Amish quilter, I also brought the binding, cut to size on the selvege. Lucky it is a batic. Doesn't have too much give one way or the other.

Ella said; she prefers it if the binding is cut on the cross wise grain ( more give) than on the selvege grain. Does not like bias cut only if used on the round..

Any thoughts or rules on this.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #8013975

This from a LQS shop that I frequent: for scalloped or curvy edging. bias cut binding is needed for the 'give' to shape the contours. If you want seamless binding on a straight edge quilt, cut the binding pieces on the lengthwise grain. There is very little if any, 'give' and will look nicer, but you have to purchase enough fabric to fit the length of your quilt, read $$$$$ (LOL)
For most quilts, cutting the binding on the crosswise grain will make better use of the fabric, provides 'give', requires seaming to make the correct length,(mitering the seams together, rather than butting them together, makes for a nice finished, sometimes almost invisible seam, especially with prints.

I imagine someone more experienced, like Jean, will have more input and reasoning for binding. Seems like she covered it in one of these Hints threads... hope this helps slightly...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8014245

Kizmo - that's how I do my binding, Crosswise grain with mitered joinings. You hardly see where the pieces are sewn together. Now if I could just get ALL the corners to come out right instead of three out of four, I'd be really happy!!! heehee

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #8014525

I sew my strips together to fit around the quilt, fold in half to find center, then put a few pins in and work around it to try to get the mitered seams to end up in the middle or roughly the same places around the quilt edge. I start sewing about 4-5" from the first end of the binding, stitch around until I get about 4-5" from the other end. Stop and make the mitered seam to put them together to fit, then stitch the remainder of the binding. All the corners are sewn, the loose edge ends up (hopefully) in the middle of one of the edges, either the long or short sides.
You can tell I'm still a newby, take way too many steps to reach the end!! But it works for me at the moment, so I'm sticking with it! The first one I did, a mitered seam ended up at the corner,,, no way could I make it look right, had to take it all off and start over! Kristen's queen size quilt, I measured the edges, then cut all the binding pieces the same length so the seams would all be even. Had to have my first DIL's quilt look right, ya know...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #8015213

Wow, that is just too much planing & thinking for me!!!!

I just "assume" 40" per strip & start in the middle of a side. I keep track of those seams. If it looks like I'm getting close to 1 being in a corner, I stop, cut, & re-join the binding & carry on.

The corners always take a bit of "work". I tend to stop before that 1/4" point. And then blunt trim the point & cut away excess batting. It "usually" works.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

August 3, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8015469

I tend to put bias binding on almost everything because I've heard that it wears better. Plus, I like the extra give. Especially where I've got problem edges on a quilt that are going to "ruffle," instead of lie flat, I can put a little more tension on the binding as I sew the edge in that area and the binding will help pull the edge flat.

I like this method of making continuous bias binding:
http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting/CBT/index.htm It's not nearly as complicated as it looks - you can skip over all the math stuff and just go to the sketches that show how to cut and sew a rectangle of fabric to get continuous binding. But the math stuff is there when you need to figure out how much fabric to start with or how much you can get out of a piece of fabric that's already cut.

After I've cut the binding and pressed all the seams open, I attach one end to a huge roll of postal tape and start pressing the binding in half. As I iron, I turn the roll of tape to take up the binding. When it's done, it sits on the front of the sewing machine and I just unroll a couple of yards at a time. It's heavy enough to stay put and it keeps the binding neat until you're ready for it.

Happy quilting! :)
Elizabeth

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8015970

That cont. bias tape making method is very interesting.Thanks

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8016676

See, I knew Jean would have a better way! Elizabeth, thanks for the link, I've not attempted to make a bias binding yet, but since I would like to do a wavy border one of these days, I going to have to learn soon!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #8016839

Was at JoAnn's today. lady at cutting counter showed and then sold me a magazine called Fashion Fusion which I pretty much don't care about BUT on the back cover are 2-50% and 4-40% off coupons. Best part they are good until middle of next Jan.
So I cut the coupons and put mag in recycle bin and then tonight remembered something neat. On page 27 is a Simplicity bias tape maker. No price but I'll bet it's online too. Says it makes 12 feet of bias tape in 1 minute. Could be a handy item if you are making a lot of tape.
Went to joanns.com to check it out. It's pricy $98. but with a 50% off coupon it is a doable item.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2010 9:19 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #8016858

Karen, if it is the one I have seen at our Joanne's it runs about $100.00.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8017412

Do they come wide enough for quilt bindings?

We can send you our fabric, so you can make the binding? LOL!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #8017433

I have a hand held bias tape maker - actually I have 4 of them for making different widths. They were at the most $5 and work just fine.
They fold differently than you fold for quilt binding.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #8017530

I have those too Jean and use them for applique work. They make great stems and I have done a Celtic piece with them also...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8017542

I also have those and I must be extra clumsy with them as I seem to burn my self often. At any rate, I don't use bias tape that much. I just thought it was a good thing for people who make a lot of it.
I wouldn't get one any more than I would get an embroidery machine or quilter. I wouldn't use them enough to justify the expense, although there are those who do.
It was simply what I thought was a helpful hint.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 9:06 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #8017581

Sometimes I think the manufactures think up these machines to get us to spend big $$$$. It's almost like a "I want to get in on this action" type of thinking. And the sad part is that it works. Then there is built in obsolesence so parts keep needing to be replaced. or more attachments are needed. I like to think of my quilting as a quiet time for me not a rush time to get it done quickly. Unless it's two days before Christmas or a birthday!!!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8017805

Quite right Barb, I sometimes feel out of my comfort zone with some of the quilts I attempt. I feel like maybe I should stick to the T-shirt quilts as I am good at those.
I know that diamond log cabin stressed me no end, and still I made 2 of the tree skirts. DUH! I am making 3 more tree skirts but changed pattern and am enjoying them much more.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #8018186

Just made my first half square triangles. Pretty cool. Except for the part where I had to trim them a bit to exact size, in my case 2 1/2 inches. I was getting wonky eyes after a while and decided to use tape to mark the size I needed. I'll bet all you pros have done this already, but for us newbys, it sure makes it easier.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8018201

oh yes mam:) painters tape works best on the rulers because it doesn't leave a residue. I used regular tape once and ruined the ruler trying to get the residue off with Goo Gone.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #8018372

I love painter's tape too. When I need to trace something for applique, I hold the pattern down with it and then tape the tracing paper on top of that. When I take everything apart - now rips or tears and no sticky.
I'm happy to see you challenging yourself Karen. That is how we all learned. I was glancing at my quilt book library which I've accumulated over that last 8 years and found one book that truly is wonderful for learning. It is "The Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting". It was given to me as a gift and from the inside cover I see it was $40.00. But I can't tell you how great it is. Maybe you could find it at your library and look up some things you may be having trouble with. It covers everything and anything to do with quilting from fabric and color to piecing and applique and machine quilting and hand quilting. i have found it to be excellent.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #8018514

I'm so happy! Elsie Campbell is sending me a specially made teflon sheet to fit the extended bed of my Juki. What this means is much easier free motion quilting when I have it set up on the desk rather than the longarm. She has the same machine and also experienced friction drag. Maybe I can finally get some practice in and finish some tops!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #8018810

Whoooppee -- that's wonderful Mojo. It can be really frustrating to have something and not be able to use it correctly.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #8024174

You will have to let me know what you think of it, I have thought of getting one. I have a small table I put on the left side of my desk when I am going to quilt something large, and it sure does help to hold the fabric up , but it does have some drag...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #8032902

Here's a great easy tutorial.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/category/id/101962/102981.do?sortby=new Arrivals&extid=10072

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8033100

That was a great one Mittsy - Thanks

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #8132021

http://wwwbluemoonriver.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-make-quilt-sleeve.html

is there a better way to make a sleeve for wall hanging or do you use tabs.?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #8132711

I've never made one.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #8132772

Helene - if it's not being entered in a show, I sew the top of the sleeve on when I attach the binding. THen I only have to blind hem the 1 side of the sleeve. Most shows require it be blind hemmed on both sides.

Another option, depending on the size of the quilt, you can hang it on a rod using the drapery rings that have a clip on the bottom. Even for a larger quilt, as long as you move the clips occassionally there is no harm to the quilt.

A 3rd option, you can sew drapery (craft) rings to the back of the quilt and slide those over the hanging bar.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #8132799

Oh, the clips are a great idea. Never would have thought they would work.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #8132886

Forgot to mention, I usually put a small piece of batting btwn the clip & the quilt. That will protect the quilt a bit more.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #8132971

Thanks jean,
Oh that clarifys something. Show or not to show. I was confused by the method in the above link thinking it is so simply just to sew it in along with tthe binding - that's what I did this time - I did allow some slack for the rod. HD

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8135212

Found this quite timely:

http://www.hangupscompany.com/

For some quilt hanging ideas. Helene

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 1, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #8188984

well, just found this thread... I'm trying to catch up on all my "promised to myself to do" quilts...
Hopefully I'll catch up in time to get a quilt top done, for my mom, and a lap quilt done for a friend of mine here, before Christmas.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 1, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8188985

oh meant to ask (cuz I couldn't read the entire thread...) is there a simple way to applique small pieces? I'm doing a manger scene with a tiny baby Jesus. His swaddling cloths are about 1" wide, by 2 1/2" long, and I tried to tuck it under and sew it down by hand. It just ended up fraying. It's 100% cotton, of course.
I was thinking of sewing 2 pieces together, with a small opening, turning it, and then I'd have 2 layers of material (that shouldn't be a thickness problem, I don't think) then would have perfect edges to hand applique. Unless there's an easier way, I think I'll do that tonight...
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #8189032

you could always fuse a piece on to the back of it with wonder under or my favorite Softfuse fusible webbing. Fusing it would keep the piece from fraying. Or if you have a scrap of iron on stabilizer or interfacing that would work too.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 1, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #8189063

I don't have any of those - I have freezer paper, but that doesn't seem to stick for long.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #8189475

Susan do the two pieces of fabric...use something thin for the back side, in a color close to the front...sew it all the way around..and then very very carefully cut a slit in the center of the backside piece, and use that slit for turning...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 1, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #8189674

OH Thunder - why didn't I think of the back slit... easier than leaving an opening on one end!! Thank you, thank you!!!!

I'd better get some sleep - tired...
I have the 9:30 phone interview, then the 1pm excel and proofreading skill test at the office building where I hope to be working... ah what am I talking about - I WILL be working there, just have to jump through a few small hoops LOL

Niters all!!
ciao bueno, Bella!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8351924

just in case there's anyone here that's interested in EQ7, Eleanor Burns website is having a big sale on all sorts of stuff. I clicked on the EQ7 to put in my cart, sale price is $132.97. Then if you buy another 17.03 worth of something else, there's free shipping. That's about a $50 discount or so?? This came from my newsletter dated Feb 3-10th...

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/gifts_display.asp?i=28132
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8352002

Thanks!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8352067

That's a big savings - I paid $189 for EQ7 last summer...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8916046

So i sat in one a very, very basic quilting lesson at the quilt shop. Learned a bunch of simple things. 3 stick out in my mind:
Every time i use the seam ripper (which is often) i wonder what the little red knob is and how to use it.
Well that end of the ripper has the cutting edge right there and rips fastest as compared to the longer end..

To make threading the needle easier. Spit on the eye of the neddle and not the thread. - I mean wet the...

And knowing which is the selvage (warp threads) and which is the WOF, with of fabric, (weft threads) is important. The warp should always go up and down never crosswise...using this method improved my pinwheels greatly. Always had trouble with them. When trying to strech the fabric the warp is tighter than the weft.
Also that every companies measuring tools and cutting boards may differ from others. This has been discussed here on Sewing and Quilting.
Classes continue in Jan.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8916073

Good tips, Helene! Thanks much!

I asked the question about that red tip on the ripper some time back and didn't get an answer, but noticed on one of the TV quilting shows that it was used that way. Lo and Behold... I tried it, and it does work! Also noticed that that red ball keeps the fabrics separated while you're ripping and I don't tend to go off track and cut into the allowance, or the fabric.. You would think that something that simple would be noted somewhere, like on the package or in a tip section somewhere for beginners!

{To make threading the needle easier. Spit on the eye of the neddle and not the thread. - I mean wet the...} LOL gives new meaning to the old saying 'Here's spit in ye eye!'... LOL But it is helpful, also if you're still having issues getting the thread thru the eye, sometimes it helps to try threading it thru the other side of the needle as the hole that's punched for the eye isn't always smooth. (Found that tip on a video from a needle maker from England)

Good tip for the pinwheels, I'll have to check those the next time I make them. Looking forward to your next class, so you can pass on more tips and tricks!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8916527

If I say basic, I mean basic. We had ladies there that went to another LQS, paid $400. or $500 for their clases there and they were totally amazed at some of these silly little tips.

. Who Knew??Am learning to do proper quilt binding as well. Duh Duh, I didn't know all these rules. Getting better at the mitered corner. See with everything being hand done here these hints and rules are soo important

not just pinwheels. That is how to construct any quilt Warp up and down - weft threads sideways. Weft stretches and makes proper piecing easier. Making pinwheels right after that lesson was proof of the pudding.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2011
3:29 AM

Post #8916850

The warp/weft grain are why some blocks call for 1/2 sq triangles and others you start with a square & cut that into 4 triangles. You always want to get the "straight of grain" on that long leg so there is less stretch.

If you get the Fons & Porter qquilting shows on local PBS I highly recommend watching. These are the types of things they are always pointing out. They also have all these tips & techniques in the magazines.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2013
2:39 AM

Post #9485639

Morning all,

Didn't sleep well last night, senseless tragedy kept sleep at bay!

Helen, great tips..I use the 'spit' on the needle technique on machine that doesn't have the threader.

Jean I've been purchasing Fons and Porter magazines, love them..will go see if I get their tutorials on-line..tks

Yesterday I was in the office, just me, myself and I so played with a simple quilt technique, meant to give me 2 little throws out of once technique..

Of course after I cut all the fabric I start making blocks, easy as can be however measurements given on the tutorial are incorrect, at least I think they are, will listen to it again this morning. Ended up with smaller block due to having to take about 1" off to square them..drats

So today I'll work on the same to get a few more squares to compensate for what I had to trim..Great way to rid myself of scraps but as I said in another thread 'scraps seem to multiply'

Photo 1: Main quilt top with 'x'

Photo 2: cut off pieces of the 'x' quilt will make a pinwheel

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9485785

Betty - that is beautiful! You have a real knack for working so hard at your job LOL

Well, looking for a proper soft binder to take on my interview. Misplaced the one I want, but will "do" with the one I found!

So sad for all those people...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9486445

Hello! I did not scroll back to see if anyone has already answered this question or given a tip about it. I am "finished" with the quilt except it needs to be "tied". Do the knots go on the opposite side of the design, or on the front? I know it must be a basic, but this is my first quilt ever. I have not done any hand sewing since I was 10 years old and have little skill. One side is gathered as the fabrics did not match when I went to close it so I just gathered it a little and that is going to be it.

I started this in October and then I became ill and had to go to the hospital, so for a while, I did not work on it. I just want to complete this for my great-grandson...before he enters school!! He was a year old in January, so I missed the holidays as well as his birthday. so if anyone will please tell me the last thing I need to know, then I can give it to him, possibly this coming weekend. fortunate for me it has snowed and the ground is cold and wet, so gardening will not be a distraction...LOL!! Truly, I am better at sowing than sewing, not that great on either, actually...

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9486448

I've only ever seen the tie on the top of the quilt - part of it's charm. and you would tie it at each of the seams (the corners where they meet).
Good for you on doing such a beautiful quilt for your first one!!! Your grandson is going to be really thrilled, I'm sure!!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9486458

Oh, thank you so much! I really appreciate your speedy answer! I will get to it!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9486460

No problem... glad I could help :-)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9486574

I agree with Susan, all the quilts I have seen are tied with the knots on the top.
Congrats on your first quilt! Hope your feeling better?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9486662

Thanks! :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 17, 2013
1:50 AM

Post #9486792

It's just so adorable..you've done a terrific job..

Not sure what you are tying with, I prefer embroidery floss.

Anxious to see it finished.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9486966

My first quilt in my 20's was done with wool, but now I use embroidery floss as well. I use the full thickness.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9487750

evelyn, just be sure to put the 'knots' about every 3 to 4 inches apart. It they are to far apart you may have some shifting and/or lumping of the batting when the quilt is washed. And tie a good strong knot. Your great grandson is a lucky little boy to receive such a treasure!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9488022

OK, thanks, I did not know that. I was just going to put them in the corners of the squares.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9488028

Yes, Gloria is correct - you need to put them more often than just in the corners.
Thanks for helping, Gloria!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9488638

Thanks, all. I am using embroidery thread, with a needle with a large eye to handle the full 6 threads of floss. Now I know, I have a lot more work ahead of me, as I thought that I was nearly through with this project. Oh, my!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9489392

Sewing stores have a liquid called "Fray Check" a drop on each knot will keep it from coming untied from being handled and washed.
You know how if you have a loose thread on a button and pull it just unravels, usually when you are away from home? A tiny drop of "Fray Check" when you first buy them and the buttons will stay secure. This doesn't happen with home sewn clothing because our machines do a lock stitch and commercial machines don't.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9489634

wow - I have to see if there's Fray Check in our stores...
I didn't realize that commercial machines didn't have a lock stitch... well, isn't that just "special"?!?!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 19, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9489696

Usually fray check is used when using the serger.

I was in a fabric shop yesterday and they were selling texture sheets..not sure how they work but next time I've more time to spend will review the product.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9489703

Betty, when you say texture sheets, I think of the plastic ones you use for polymer clay.

http://www.clayalley.com/shadetex.htm

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 19, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9489714

no, bit different than that..will go next week and pick up a package NOT that I was impressed with the pieces they had on display 6"x6" fabric cut done with different amounts of texture.
SuzyQ123
Benton, AR

May 22, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9530476

It's great to have a place to get tips! If you have any links to an online tutorial that was especially good, I would love to have it. I just got a QuiltMate Pro and set it up right by my machine so let the learning begin!

http://Www.quiltmatepro.com
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9530522

Missouri Star Quilt Co. has some really good tutorials. You might want to check out their site if you haven't done so already.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 23, 2013
3:47 AM

Post #9530751

Marion, I love Missouri quilts..have done a fair amount of them, watchful now, I go to the chat room for them then try a block, don't always work out as in tutorial..I e Periwinkle quilt..bought template and papers from them only to find out after all was cut that the template was cut incorrectly!
SuzyQ123
Benton, AR

May 24, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9533097

I have seen every tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Co!

Abbisgranma, I sure hope your "subtle" hint for the QuiltMate Pro works, :). Good Luck getting one and happy quilting!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2013
9:27 PM

Post #9533128

Thanks Suzy, I have a feeling I might be getting one.
Marion

Kbh69

Kbh69
Andrews, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2014
8:00 AM

Post #9751120

Hi there! I'm a loyal DGer from the gardening forums. I bought my first sewing machine yesterday and am off to a very promising start. I made a pleated skirt in HS Home Economics (1984) with little effort but remember no details. I'm hoping it comes back to me! I've read through the above thread and aim to quilt in the future. Made sure the machine I purchased had a "walking foot" attachment for future use.
The ladies I hung out with yesterday are all about quilting and will be delighted to know what you Gals have to offer!
Do you guys know of any reliable sewing websites? I'm not very proficient at surfing the web. Would appreciate an address or search term if possible!
Thanks so much! Really looking forward to starting my living room pillows!
Kiley
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2014
8:34 AM

Post #9751138

You might search for sewing tutorials as there are some nice ones out there. Missouri Star Quilt Company has some fantastic tutorials for quilting...don't know about pillow instructions but it wouldn't surprise me.

Congratulations on getting a machine and hope to see you more on the quilting threads...great group and are so willing to share their knowledge with others.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2014
9:05 AM

Post #9751166

Good advice Marion. I search the web all the time and can usually find what I'm looking for.

Welcome Kbh69 - we would love to see on the threads and I'm sure there are some there who also sew "regular" sewing as opposed to quilting...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2014
10:27 AM

Post #9751206

Welcome, welcome, be sure to check out all our quilting and sewing threads. Everyone here is very friendly and always willing to help. Someone can answer just about any question you might have. Marion is right about Missouri Star, they have awesome tutorials and make what looks difficult, easy to do.

Come back often and BTW we love to see photos of what you're doing.

Here's one we play in...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347873/

This message was edited Jan 19, 2014 1:28 PM
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2014
4:44 AM

Post #9766178

Here you go, Pat. Sorry but I already deleted the photo. Will try to link tho. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1348842 post # 9765380.

We've tested all the basting sprays and like Sullivan's in the pink can the best. We usually wait until it goes on sale and buy it at Hancock, about $13.99 regular price. The can is 9" tall. We only spray it outside. We use masking tape to hold down the backing, then layer the batting and top. We iron all the fabric before tapeing down . We always wash before donating and don't iron after basting.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2014
9:25 AM

Post #9770905

Thanks Mittsy.
Kbh, did you find what you were looking for? Utube has some good stuff. Let us know if you have trouble finding what you want and we'll try to find specific ones that are "good" beginning stuff.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2014
8:36 AM

Post #9780068

Does anyone have a hint on trying to read the size on needles? Even with our magnifier neither Jack nor I can read it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2014
3:39 PM

Post #9780351

My only hint would be compare it to needles you CAN read and then label with permanent marker and then secure the writing by covering it with scotch tape or something. OR wait until your grandchild get's there and ask them!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2014
9:13 PM

Post #9780527

Mittsy, maybe a high-powered jeweler's loupe would work. Dad had one in his beading box, I've had to use it many times to read the insides of rings to see the markings. There are quite a few on Ebay for just a couple bucks..
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2014
4:25 AM

Post #9780585

Thanks very much for the help.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2014
5:08 AM

Post #9872564

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_trips_in_fiber/2014/01/bleeding-quilts-please-read-this.html

This is very good to know.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America