Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Beyond Borders : Inexpensive ways to edge your beds: Edging creatively

Communities > Forums > Article: Beyond Borders : Inexpensive ways to edge your beds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beyond Borders : Inexpensive ways to edge your bedsReplies: 20, Views: 363
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 2, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #7126436

Thank you for creative ideas on edging flower beds.
Plants themselves can be used as edging: however then crab grass can be a problem.
The combination of plants with inanimate waste objects is good.
Thanks.
Caroline
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #7126468

thanks. i really want to try some tire ideas . there are some really neat ideas out there
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #7126539

I love the broken limbs idea. Also, I am thinking of using cardboard on the ground in strips and placing mulch & compost on top. That way
the cardboard will eventually rot and I will new bed area to plant that in.
Then I can extend the same bed again with more cardboard.

I might even get a small amount of gravel delivered and use that on cardboard too. Great ideas! Thanks for an innovative approach.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 2, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7126560

How do you mow the grass next to the borders without damaging the machine? Note: I do realize 'carefully'.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7126571

Neat article, Dana! Gloria, I have used cardboard covered with mulch around newly planted shrubs and it worked beautifully.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #7126626

thanks guys. irisma i get close as i can with the mower . the wood and rock are indestructible with the weed eater . i actually prefer to cut with grass cutting scissors around things. its faster for me then the weed eater. the weed eater is heavy and i always take gouges out of the ground . the rocks and wood just sitting there have kept the crab grass out . my goal is no grass . lol

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 2, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #7126737

DH uses a string mower so I was worried about hard objects.
Pillita
Keystone Heights, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7126754

Interesting article. I had seen bottles, but never thought of using plates. I'm going to rethink the edging now for the bog that I'm planning.

I have multiple borders with brick, broken concrete, rocks and wood. We use a string mower for edging and any material that can keep the string from contacting the plants gets used around here.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 2, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #7127949

It only lasts for about a year, but you can make a woven border with sticks. Stick sticks about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter and the desired height into the ground and then weave long, thin sticks or stems through them like a wicker basket.
sueroderus
Bluffton, SC

October 5, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7136618

Some one already mentioned using bottles, but I thought I would explain how what I have seen looks like for those that have not seen it. The bottles are set in the ground neck down so you see the round base of the bottle. Placed in a row they make a great looking edging. I have not tried this yet as it will take a lot of digging. Too bad I don't still have that bottle cutter I had in college 30+ years ago. Still, would be interesting for a small garden and if you drink a lot of wine and don't mind digging, great for a larger one too. I know of a butterfly garden that used bottles to make a large butterfly in the center.
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7136689

i really love the way bottles look especially colored ones. i like the idea of using square and round . or just the square would look great . youd have to dring alot of jagermeister
GardenDetectives
Saint Peters, MO

October 5, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #7136719

Repurpose, reuse, recyle. Thanks for sharing your budget friendly borders. You have inspired me to add this topic and your link of this interesting and creative gardening idea to my new gardening website.
http://gardendetectives.farming.officelive.com/bestoftherest.aspx
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7137124

that site is great . lots of info in one place !
maiglocke
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #7137447

here is a picture of only a little part of my edging with wine bottles. I also have a blue bottle tree.

Thumbnail by maiglocke
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suewylan
North Fork, CA
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7141675

I, too, started using logs as my borders from the ones left by the tree trimmers on our street. Now that I live on a bigger property, we're always having to trim up the oaks and pines, so I use the longer ones to form my beds around the house. I hoe a shallow trench and plunk the logs in. Cheap, cheep!

One Mother's Day, my family went up to the mountains and after our picnic, collected the 48 rocks I figure I'd need for a certain flower bed. I would carefully spray Roundup, using a piece of cardboard as a shield to protect the plants, in between and in front of the rocks every spring to keep it neat next to the lawn. I treasure the memory of that Mother's Day present!

I love the idea of the plates! Perfect for a cottage garden.

Here is a picture of some of the log edges. I also used old split rails found on the place in a zig-zag pattern running through the garden as a 'divider'

Thumbnail by suewylan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7141864

The plates intrigued me too and I was thinking of solid earth tones, like green, burgundy, orange. Being anal-retentive, I would need to have all my bottles match and since we seldom have glass bottles, guess that idea would not work unless I could get some bar (or bachelor party) to give me them instead of recycling. LOL
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 7, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #7142702

Guilty girl,
You can come to my house and collect the nicest little beer bottles that people have thrown in our fields as they travel down the road on a Saturday night.
we live in a dry county, so of course there are many!
I was wondering what I could do with these, they are so pretty and all the same dark glass color. Would that help you in your desire to match everything!.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7149656

Liquid,
Well, how far are you from Cinci? My Sis lives there and I am sure the airline would love to have me carry those on board.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 9, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #7149744

hehehe -- Three hours, but I have two aunts that live in Hamilton coming to visit me Halloween, I can send the molds back up there with them, and good ridence!

Actually, I feel like I have now really retired since I am not working on a patio -- this has never happened to me before!
Not working on a patio first time in years!. Every since I can remember, right after supper, I call to the family, "I'm goin to pour a couple of bags of concrete" Kinda of relaxing. But not near as relaxing as sitting back and watching televsion,------ just more fattening.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7157521

I meant the 'pretty' little beer bottles, LOL. But I have thought of using the molds before - but maybe more labor intense than I would get involved in. I think it would be a good project for teenage daughter and friends though...
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 11, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #7158218

You must have some really good friends if you think they would do the molds.

And as for a teenager! Oh, please! no such thing! I know I have two of them.

The beer bottles, oh dear do you think my tea toting aunts might think it was I that emptied those beer bottles?

I have to be careful or it might tarnish my reputation.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beyond Borders : Inexpensive ways to edge your beds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
butterfly garden 'brick' border wind 9 Oct 6, 2009 11:48 PM
want small tree suggestions. cradlew 4 Oct 7, 2009 3:29 PM
Ceramic Floor Tiles HelloMissMary 3 Oct 5, 2009 2:56 PM
Inexpensive ways to edge your beds williamca 1 Oct 5, 2009 3:33 PM
wine bottle borders drlisa 0 Aug 24, 2010 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America