I've heard that soaking seed in peroxide helps?....

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure why - but someone said a long time ago to soak your seed in peroxide vs water for germination, any one do this? What is the reason for doing so?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That advice is for seeds with a really tough shell like morning glories. Here's a great site with good info on using hydrogen peroxide
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Joanna banana! Thats great!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I've been using peroxide water for years at 1/4 cup to a gallon of water. I use it for all indoor seed starting and watering until they go outside. It speeds the germination of all types of seeds but has a much more important virtue. It practically eliminates damping off and any other pathogens lurking in the soil or on the exterior of the seeds. I would recommend it for any house plant or seedling because it takes oxygen to the roots, much like rain water. It makes over watering almost impossible. It also saves me from having to buy expensive seed starting media. I just use garden soil with compost mixed in. It doesn't kill insects though.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

twiggy- is that 3% peroxide you use?

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Yes, the regular stuff from the drug store. I see the link above calls for 1/2 cup to a gallon. I normally just eyeball it but use more like 1/4 cup. The point is that it's harmless to the plants. I always try to stay with bottom watering and nothing will rot even if soaking wet. Never any fungus knats either.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone for the peroxide info , I'll start using it in a gallon to water plants and starts. Jill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images