Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: Anyone recognize this ginger?

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 27, Views: 308
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7127959

I bought this with a grower's label calling it "Alpinia japonica var. kiusana" (photo of the tag will follow). Apparently this plant doesn't exist. I've spent quite a bit of time searching online ginger and tropical nurseries, but there's nothing like it pictured on any of them.

It's a dwarf---only about 18" tall---and hasn't bloomed yet.

I'd like to add it to PlantFiles, but there's nothing to confirm what was on the tag.

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7127966

Here's a photo of the tag that I took last March when I bought the plant; I don't remember the name of the grower. Does anyone recognize the logo?

Oh, and P.S., clearly the plant looks nothing like the picture on the tag, either!

This message was edited Oct 2, 2009 2:24 PM

Thumbnail by imapigeon

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #7134959

OK, more on this plant. I found the vendor's website (Hines) and found the plant. However, I have no additional sources, so I can't add it to PlantFiles.

Anyone know of any ginger specialty nursery websites where I might be able to look? I've hit a bunch, but not been successful.
Maybe I should just give up on Plantfiles and keep the 2 plants happily growing in my garden to myself...LOL!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7134982

http://www.johnjearrard.co.uk/plants/a/alpiniajaponicakinsianapeppermintstick/alpiniajaponicakinsianapeppermintstick.html
Alpinia japonica kinsiana. scroll down the alpha list shown.

Pigeon, I found the above. When I saw "hines nursery", I was SURE there was a typo somewhere. This nursery was notorious for mispelling botanical names. They are presently bankrupt but somebody said they've been purchased by somebody.

You may have to wait til it blooms to be absolutely sure of what you have. My gingers are not reliable bloomers, so be prepared for that.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 5, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7135018

Thank you vossner! We've been struggling with this one for a couple days already.

From the link you provided, it looks like they are confused about the name also, and it doesn't appear that Kinsiana is a cultivar, and I can't find it as a valid species, variety, or forma either.

This has been a puzzle that imapigeon and I have been trying to figure out for days. Welcome to the game! ;)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #7135026

Oh goodness, here is an a. japonica kinisiana. I hate it when that happens, different spellings and you don't know which is right.
http://www.gingersrus.com/

I find this website a relatively good source when I'm doing ginger detective work. Enter a. japonica in the search box and it will take you to a. japonica var. kinisiana But as you can see, the foliage on this plant is solid, no white lines.

no telling what you have, but it sure is pretty.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #7135051

One more thing: the variegation shown on your first pic reminds me of A. formosana. Pinstripe kinda markings. google it and see if that is more like yours.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7135302

Thanks for your input vossner! Now that you've kick-started my brain, I remember actually buying some very nice plants from gingersrus a couple of years ago. Couldn't remember the name of the place.

Yes, the leaf does look a lot like A. formosana----definitely got the right pinstripes. However, there's no way this plant is ever going to get somewhere between 3 and 6 feet tall! My other gingers get their full growth here in a season, so I don't think it's going to get much taller. And it looks like the leaf on my plant might be wider than formosana.

This is another site that mentions "kinsiana", but it doesn't sound like my plant either...sigh...
http://www.plantnames.org/alpi1959.html

If I took some more pictures with additional detail, do you think that might help identify it? Or maybe I should just wait a year and hope it blooms next year...whether I know its name or not, it's gorgeous. Maybe I have a pair of mutants!!~~
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #7136357

I have A. formosana Pinstripe and will take a picture if the rain holds off today so you can see the difference.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7136860

My a. formosana seems to stay at 3 ft. It is interplanted w/ var. ginger and the var. ginger grows a lot faster and taller than the formosana. surprises me that formosana is supposed to get up to 6 ft. Formosana has bloomed for me. I don't think I have a pic of flower but it looks similar to the flower of the var. ginger. (raceme kinda thing)

I agree w/ you that stripes on your ginger seem wider than on a. formosana. Maybe moodene will chime in. She is a ginger collector and might know that your beauty is.

Hiya Joan!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #7137105

The tag is missing on this one, but it looks like the one above and it was blooming (6-4-09) . Hope it helps to identify it.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #7137844

bigbubbles, the leaf does look very much like my mystery ginger----how tall is yours? Gee, I hope mine gets such a nice bloom! I'll bet it smells heavenly, too.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #7137950

It did smell good...in June. I had to pull the pot out of the bed to get a shot of it. You can see it suffered along with everything else in the drought we had this year. The longest stem is about 4 ft. I've kept it in the pot 18 months. I don't remember that it bloomed last year. I had thought I got it from Buried Treasure, but I can't find any record of it. Next spring, I plan to plant it in the garden, and get it out of the pot.
I think spraying Messenger on the gingers scares 'em into blooming!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7138024

the bloom on my a. formosana looks very much like the one posted by bigbubbles.
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7138433

Here is a picture of Alpenia f Pinstripe, it has never bloomed but then it freezes back every Winter.

Thumbnail by kenboy

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #7138452

Here is Alpenia z Yu Hwa, I got both of there in the Spring of 08 from Nadine. I will be leaving tomorrow to head down to Nadines to help her work on her house. I will be staying there for maybe a week and we will check back in to see what everyone can come up with. I do love the variegation on these unknown Gingers.

Thumbnail by kenboy

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #7138575

All beauties----I just love variegated leaves!
The leaves on this ginger are between the size of my other gingers and my cannas. For a ginger, they're really wide!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #7138709

That ginger looks like Alpinia formosana..mine looks like that with heavy stripes. I have had them get up around 3 to 4 feet tall with plenty of water and plant food...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #7139127

Do you mean mine or the one bigbubbles posted?

Mine is definitely a dwarf. Even allowing for differences between individual plants, I don't think mine could still be A. formosana and only get 12-18 inches tall, could it?
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7139340

The formosana Pinstripe that I posted a picture of is only about 18 inches tall. It does not get that much sun and I was thinking of moving some to a sunnier spot as well as keeping some in a pot over Winter to get it to bloom.
ScottDurand
Miami, FL

October 7, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #7145762

I believe what you have is Alpinia formosana. It is not uncommon for these Alpinia to get mixed up at the breeders, especially the ones coming from tissue culture at the big growers.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7146221

Scott, is the height referred to in the descriptions with or without a bloom stalk? Having looked at several sites & descriptions, I think it probably is a formosana, but everything I've read says formosana gets quite tall.

These plants are 18" at best, and show no signs of getting taller----but maybe a bloom (which I haven't seen and maybe never will) could explain the height discrepancy?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #7147273

good morning. I don't think mine has ever grown past 3 ft tall. planted inground, shade 2/3 of the day or maybe more. I believe the dry summer in my area greatly contributed to stunted growth on a lot of my tropicals, including a. formosana. Then in Sep. when we had some good rains, my tropicals have shot up, all of them, almost like catching up.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7154770

I have the same one, I ordered it off ebay several years ago and can't remember the name either. It has never bloomed, and has never gotten more than 18". It's definitely NOT the variegated shell ginger. I also have that, and it's not even close.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7155121

MerryMary, I think yours is a. Formosana.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #7155184

MerryMary, I also have the variegated shell ginger, and I actually throught that might be what this was when it was in the nursery hospital with the begnnings of the leaves about 1/2" long----but I knew within days that this was something completely different.
Sounds like you and I have the same plant, which must be some kind of dwarf Formosana----either that or all the descriptions saying Formosana gets 36" - 48" tall are mistaken!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7155193

i don't know if this makes a diff, but I have a var. ginger in shade and moist ground and another in shade and not nearly as moist. The one is moist ground is nice and tall, the one in drier ground is not even 2 ft tall. So, maybe growing conditions make the diff.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7155224

Hmmmmm...I have one of these two in the ground where it gets regular water from a nearby sprinkler head, and one in a pot where it's on drip every couple of days. Both are pretty much the same size. The one in the ground gets quite a bit more sun than the potted one, and it seems fuller, but not taller. What I think I'm seeing is that it's spreading out more than up.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America