-
AuthorContent
Jardinera
Pataskala, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2001
1:51 AM

Post #14211

Can anybody help tell me about a plant, Diablo Ninebark,that I picked up at Lowe's today? How big does it get, how much does it spred, is it fast or slow growing? etc.

Funkiaman
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2001
2:09 AM

Post #133226

Hey Jardinera - I don't have this shrub, but have seen it at
the nursery. This info comes from Wayside's spring 2001 catalog. I hope this is the same plant that you have, as it is called Diabolo there:
Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diabolo' - Eastern Ninebark
Long beloved for its ultra-hardiness, quick growth, and tolerance of a wide range of conditions and soils, now this deciduous shrub has a fresh look - burgundy foliage! Clusters of small white flowers enhance its show in May and June, and in winter the bark peels in lovely papery sheets. New spring shoots are a vibrant reddish-purple, complementing the foliage (which keeps its color all summer in cool locations). Upright, spreading shrub grows 5 to 10 feet tall and 6 to 10 feew wide; excellent with yellow-toned foliage in the border, or as a specimen or hedge. Easy to grow in full sun (in northern regions to partial shade. Zones 2 - 7.
This is propably more than you wanted to know, but I hope it helps...Funkiaman
Jardinera
Pataskala, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2001
12:50 AM

Post #133833

Funkiaman, Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have checked the "net" anc could find nothing on this psysicarus opulifolius. It seems that for just $1 I got a bargain. I am new at this website and at the computer (at 66 yrs of age never too old to TRY to learn). I do appreciate your information!
Funkiaman
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2001
2:27 AM

Post #133879

You are welcome, and looks like you did get a great deal. Wayside is selling them for $18.95 for a small one in 1 gallon pots! Hope it grows well for you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America