Pataskala, OH(Zone 5a)

Can anybody help tell me about a plant, Diablo Ninebark,that I picked up at Lowe's today? How big does it get, how much does it spred, is it fast or slow growing? etc.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7a)

Hey Jardinera - I don't have this shrub, but have seen it at
the nursery. This info comes from Wayside's spring 2001 catalog. I hope this is the same plant that you have, as it is called Diabolo there:
Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diabolo' - Eastern Ninebark
Long beloved for its ultra-hardiness, quick growth, and tolerance of a wide range of conditions and soils, now this deciduous shrub has a fresh look - burgundy foliage! Clusters of small white flowers enhance its show in May and June, and in winter the bark peels in lovely papery sheets. New spring shoots are a vibrant reddish-purple, complementing the foliage (which keeps its color all summer in cool locations). Upright, spreading shrub grows 5 to 10 feet tall and 6 to 10 feew wide; excellent with yellow-toned foliage in the border, or as a specimen or hedge. Easy to grow in full sun (in northern regions to partial shade. Zones 2 - 7.
This is propably more than you wanted to know, but I hope it helps......Funkiaman

Pataskala, OH(Zone 5a)

Funkiaman, Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have checked the "net" anc could find nothing on this psysicarus opulifolius. It seems that for just $1 I got a bargain. I am new at this website and at the computer (at 66 yrs of age never too old to TRY to learn). I do appreciate your information!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7a)

You are welcome, and looks like you did get a great deal. Wayside is selling them for $18.95 for a small one in 1 gallon pots! Hope it grows well for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.