Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ferns, Fungi and Mosses: I need help with ferns!!!

Communities > Forums > Ferns, Fungi and Mosses
bookmark
Forum: Ferns, Fungi and MossesReplies: 2, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

October 2, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #7128209

Last week I received about 15 extra large wire baskets with all kinds of ferns in them. The lady that owned them had passed away and her husband was a very elderly gentleman. He was tired of going out to the greenhouse and watering everything so I ended up with them. Needless to say none of them are in perfect condition. He just watered them when he would think about it. I need to know what to do to get them back into prime condition.

There are a couple of Boston Ferns, Rabbit Foots, Swords Ferns, Wood Ferns, and I don't know what all else. I would like to know what I should fertilize them with and how often? Although I love ferns I've never really been a good mother to them. I would however like to learn to be a better fern mama and over winter these ferns in my small greenhouse. Hopefully they will rebound and be beautiful by next spring and I can put them outside in the yard in the shade somewhere. I have all kinds of other hanging baskets and I don't have any problems with them. I do grow a bunch of bromeliads and I think the ferns would add alot of interest to the areas where I put my broms in the summer.

Please someone or everyone get back with me and let me know how I should care for these ferns!
Happy Gardening, Marian
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7130307

I have a huge fern that I keep on the patio all summer, but have to bring in the house over winter because my GH is unheated. By the time spring arrives it's looking pretty sad from lack of humidity all winter even though I spritz it. It's been my experience that moisture, humidity and acid fertilizer will bring your ferns back to life. My fern goes from sad to glad in a short time given the right conditions.

I took the picture this morning. I'm going to have to find a spot in the house real soon. I know it's going to suffer through the winter, but it always bounces back and gets bigger than ever over the summer.

I think your ferns will do fine once they get a little TLC.

Thumbnail by pastime
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX

October 4, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7131719

Ok, I'll try my best at keeping these things alive this winter and hopefully they will grow and turn out to be beautiful next spring. Thanks for getting back with me.
Marian

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ferns, Fungi and Mosses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Let's Talk Fungi and Such Weezingreens 203 Jun 12, 2007 7:52 PM
Welcome to Ferns! Terry 47 Jul 13, 2011 10:40 AM
My favorite Fern rcn48 33 Aug 19, 2008 11:56 PM
Osmunda cinnamomea Brent_In_NoVa 11 Mar 28, 2007 7:41 PM
growing from spores hostajim1 47 Nov 19, 2011 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America