Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba): Japanese Beetles

Communities > Forums > Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)Replies: 2, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #7128592

Japanese beetles seem to love the leaves of the Paw Paw. I've two trees several years old that act like Jap. beetle magnets at the height of summer. I applied a systematic to one tree and that seemed to make it less attractive to the beetles. Only by using a spray contact insecticide almost daily was I able to limit the beetle damage.
I enjoyed your article.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7129021

Thanks for your note!
You might want to experiment with a reported Japanese beetle cure I have read in DG. Plant four o'clocks. Some say they have no more Jap beetles after growing four oclocks. I can say that I do grow 4 oclocks and have almost no Japanese beetle. In the past, I used to get a number of them on wild Evening Primrose plants.
Good luck with your pawpaws--and be sure to discontinue that systemic if you'll be eating the fruit.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 4, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #7132241

I am an expert on Japanese beetles!
For more than a decade they choked everything I owned. They piled on top of each other untill I could not see the leaves.
I'd grab handfulls off my wisteria shake them up, throw them on a piece of plywood and stomp them.
I had huge piles of smashed beetles on that plywood, and I did not even make a dent.
At last, all the horticulture experts began to say and write in the newspapers to just chop down all red, or off colored trees and shrubs, and forget those roses too.
We all decided that this was it, this was our life. Marked with before and after the beetle invasion.
Sevin dust was like putting powdered sugar on our plants for them.
Beetle traps put out in our yards was like calling in all the neighbor's beetles and those in the surrounding fields and no trap could hold them all.
Then one summer day it rained, and it rained a lot.
THEY DIED.
They clogged up our down spouts where they had been on our roofs and the rain washed them off !
They stank for a long time, like some huge animal had died in our down spouts.
And after that day---- it was over.
Oh, sure we may see some here and there, but not like they were.
That has been a decade ago.
Thank goodness!
I heard that a pathogen for them is a fungus.
To get rid of them you can sprinkle this fungus around your yard and if it rains so much the better.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2009 9:29 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Unusual fruit: Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I planted 3-are they like other Annona? zonkel 6 Sep 30, 2009 4:38 PM
I always thought pawpaw = papaya vossner 5 Sep 28, 2009 1:02 PM
Sally Come visit KY! postmandug 4 Sep 29, 2009 3:42 AM
pawpaw irony Loligo 7 Sep 28, 2009 11:30 PM
Pawpaw flowers ndgardens 12 May 30, 2010 7:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America