Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Beyond Borders : Inexpensive ways to edge your beds: butterfly garden 'brick' border

Communities > Forums > Article: Beyond Borders : Inexpensive ways to edge your beds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beyond Borders : Inexpensive ways to edge your bedsReplies: 9, Views: 422
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7129036

Enjoyed your article :)

I hope to edge our butterfly garden with custom concrete 'bricks' one of these summers. I have the 'brick' mold and design (in my mind) ready-to-go. I love to do mosaics with cut pieces of colored glass pressed into concrete.

Happy Gardening,
Diana
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #7129397

i have some flagstone molds that worked well . i just spray with pam or wd40. thats a great idea , i love to mosaic but didnt think to press them into the mold
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 3, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #7131260

I have box wood borders. I am very proud of. AND very lucky that it is protected from the north wind in the winter.

Thumbnail by Liquidambar2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 3, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #7131264

Here is another view of my box wood border.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 3, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #7131297

I mold my borders from molds I bought from Lowes. The colors I buy from Lowes too, but it is so expensive! So I put it on top the concrete while it is still wet(as opposed to mixing the color all through the concrete). This also makes for a more brighter color. Also the bags of concrete - ready mix- no longer have enough portland cement in them to make a smooth mold. So I have to buy a bag of portland cement along with concrete ready mix. I use 1/4 of portland to one bag of ready mix.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 3, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #7131304

Here is some more molding I did.
With Lowes molds, and concrete colors.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 3, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7131393

I molded this patio. What is really sad is that I have made other patios (that have been bigger) at my other two homes that I moved from.
Hopefully I am done.
I know a lot do not approve, the better gardeners use string mowers, weed eaters, scissors even. I use weed killer. It is what you have to do when you are getting older and tired.

lnorris
Gallion, AL

October 5, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7136791

With the "baby boomer" gardeners getting a little older and some having disabilities the easiest way to keep the weeds out is liquid feed killer...I know it's not "eco friendly" but gardening with limitations you sometimes use the easy way out. Wish there were more articles r/t to persons with limitations/disability..we still love gardening age we age!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7141890

Liquid - your boxwoods look great. I would like to do that, but with taller plants in the middle. How long did it take to get that effect and how often did you trim them. I would need to look to see if they grow well in our hot, dry climate.

Your molded patio also is very nice looking. Aren't those mold only like about 2 ft square? How many moldsdid you have and how many days did it take to mold enough for that size area? How long does it take for them to dry enough to pop them out of the molds?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 6, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #7142536

The boxwoods were expensive, since I needed so many. I got them at Lowes. The nursery planted about two or three per pot, and I took a saw and separated the roots and plants to help save money. I did not lose a one!!! They did very well.

I have lived here five years. I worked on this the second and third year (worked on getting starts from cuttings even, and succeeded. The cuttings have almost caught up with the ones I bought!

I trim it two times a year. Once in the spring when it gets shaggy and again when it gets shaggy again some time in middle or late August. I do not trim it near the fall, so the new growth that pops up in late fall is frozen in the winter. In the winter the frozen new growth looks like it is flowering!

Yes the molds are about 2X2. I had two, and I still do.
At first I would fill them up and wait for about thirty minutes and remove them. I did not wait till it completely dried or I could not get them out. If you make the concrete thick enough you can carefully lift them off as soon as you fill them up. It completely dries overnight.

I mixed up the concrete mix along with a couple of shovel fulsl of portland cement (without it, it will be rough, the manufactures became stingy with their amount of portland right in the middle of one of my projects and the stones do not match the rest of the patio. darn!)

I have made six patios like this and on my last two I got a smart idea. I did not fill up the molds, instead I mixed up my concrete, and put it on the ground in a 2x2 area and then pressed my mold down on the concrete. I like the effect better.

Also, I have black plastic and gravel under the molded stones.
Also most patios I went to great lengths to make sure the gravel was level. Makes it very nice in making sure the patio is level too. However this last patio I did not do that because I thought it gave it a more natural look - like a winding path going somewhere.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beyond Borders : Inexpensive ways to edge your beds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edging creatively CLScott 20 Oct 11, 2009 6:52 PM
want small tree suggestions. cradlew 4 Oct 7, 2009 3:29 PM
Ceramic Floor Tiles HelloMissMary 3 Oct 5, 2009 2:56 PM
Inexpensive ways to edge your beds williamca 1 Oct 5, 2009 3:33 PM
wine bottle borders drlisa 0 Aug 24, 2010 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America