-
AuthorContent
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7131474

I bought a few really cool gourds (maybe some of them are white pumpkins?) for decoration this fall and it just ocurred to me to save the seeds and plant some myself next spring. When are the seeds mature enough to save? Should the seeds from the gourds I just bought be viable?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #7166011

Wait until the gourds dry completely before cutting into them for the seeds...it may turn out that they are viable...but not TRUE...if it grew as a Bottle Gourd...it may have been crossed at some time with another type gourd...we get some interesting crosses that way though...

After you get the seeds out...try the wet paper towel and seeds on a window to see if they grow. Jo
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7182623

Thanks Jo!

I'd love it if I got some different shapes, I just wanted to make sure they'd be viable. I will definitely save a few from each of gourd and see what I get.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America