-
AuthorContent
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #7132886

If I could type/spell this early in the AM the title would say "Getting"...

I'm reviitalizing this thread based on the "scant" 1/4 discussions/concerns that have come up recently. The bottom line is - every quilt pattern uses a "scant" 1/4. It's not specific to quilters cache. What is often missing on QC is them telling what size each of the components of a block should be before you start putting that (9-patch) together.

There is a lot of good info in this thread.

Since the "exact" 1/4" seam is the one rule of quilting that is never waived, figured it would be the best place to start.
I'll add some techniques I've picked up over the years and anyone else is welcome to post any I miss.

Do not be afraid to ask questions... that is why we are doing this.

1) Just because your machine comes with a 1/4" foot does not mean it is EXACTLY 1/4"
2) Just because your machine comes with a 1/4" needle position does not mean it is EXACTLY 1/4"
3) How you sit at your machine will affect the 1/4" seam (chair height, left or right of needle, machine sitting above table, etc)
4) Not all rulers are created equal
5) Not all machines are created equal (don't change machines in the middle of piecing a quilt)
6) Not everyone "sees" 1/4" the same
and I'm sure there could be more added.

The attached quilt is made of the Aug BoM squares. Were all of them 12 1/2" (by my eye)? No
Were they 12 1/2" by the makers eye? Possibly
Could I still use them all in a quilt? Yes

This message was edited Oct 4, 2009 6:38 AM

This message was edited Aug 2, 2011 6:21 AM

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #7132908

I have a Bernina quilting machine and a Viking. I have a very hard time piecing with my Bernina. The 1/4" foot (to my eye) is wider than 1/4". The Viking has a needle set position that gives me a very accurate 1/4" but, using that I can't use my "single hole throat plate", and I have to remember to move the needle. The 1/4" foot is a tad wider than I'd like it to be, but I've gotten used to it.

Some ways to measure the 1/4" machine setting/foot:

You will need some accurate graph paper, plastic template (ruled) sheet, and plain printer paper.
Draw some lines on the printer paper @ 1" apart. Unthread your machine and sew 1/4" from the lines you drew. Take a good quilting ruler (the one you normally use) and measure the width. If it is exactly 1/4" you are set. Please let us all know how you got that setting on your machine.

If it is not exact, get the accurate graph paper and sew down one of the lines and see where the next 1/4" marking is in relation to the edge of the foot.

Try adjusting your chair height or where you sit in relation to the needle and try again. If moving 1 direction doesn't work, try another. Find the setting that is most comfortable for you.

If you can see where you are off here are a couple things you can do.

If there is an unmarked edge on the plastic templare sheet, accurately cut it off 1 side (a sharp rotary cutter will work).
Place the template sheet under the needle and lower the needle into a marked grid line, 1 in from the edge (1/4").
Lower the presser foot.
Find a parallel line (line on throat plate, bibbin case, etc) and make sure the template paper is perfectly straight. It's a good idea to also use a ruler to double check. Tape the template plastic down in a couple places, raise the foot, with a very fine pencil (mechanical 5 lead) mark the edge of the plastic sheet.

Remove the plastic. Sew using that drawn line as your setting - not the edge of the foot. Is that now an accurate 1/4"?

If so, you can use a very fine tip permanent marker to mark that line on your machine or you can cut the template and place it on the bed of the machine, lined up to the drawn line, and tape it in place. You can even color the edge with a permanent marker to make it easier to see.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #7132916

There is also the trick of building a "bumper" to ride the edge of the fabric against. Usually you use a few layers of painters tape, tape that to your machine to "ride" your fabric against.

If you are doing this, make sure it is not under your presser foot. If it is, your foot will not lower properly and you will possible end up with some tension problems.

If you do this on the machine body, not directly under the foot, make sue you don't wobble when you get up to the needle.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #7132919

When sewing 1/4" from a drawn line (1/2 square triangles) or on a drawn line (flying geese, snowballs) make sure you use a very fine tipped pencil to draw the line. Either sharpen it well or use a #5 mechanical lead.

Always sew 1 thread to the inside of the drawn line (pressing will take up that 1 thread).

OK, It's time for my 2nd cup of coffee.

Look forward to hearing any additional tips and seeing if these will work for you.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #7133021

http://quilting.about.com/od/machinepiecingyourquilts/ss/seam_allowance.htm

link to tips for getting accurate 1/4 " seams...with photos for those of us that just have to see it to get it (including me)

the "bumper" is my best friend, on one of my machines...

when ever I switch stitches on my "new" machine...going from decorative stitching back to straight stitches for piecing...I always do a "test" piece..to check my seam allowance.
I usually use some of those triangle pieces cut off the edge from doing 1/2 squares, or flying geese...stitch a few through the machine, I measure the seam allowance as the piece is feeding out from behind the needle, and if it looks good, I run a few pieces through, then press, and measure to be sure it still looks good. I have a great 1/4 foot, but sometimes I still need to but up against the edge of it a little more, or a little less.

I definitely agree that if you have changed chairs, or moved your machine at all you can get a different seam.

taking the time to check, takes just a couple extra minutes...a pain in the butt when your in a "hurry" to see what your pieces are going to look like when you get them together...I know...butttt a few minutes now...saves taking seams apart later!!

I keep a "mini" square ruler, next to my machine at all times. same brand as the ones I use for rotary cutting..so I can do a spot inspection here and there, as I am sewing to be sure I am staying "on track"

whenever I use a quilterscache pattern, I add a touch to the measurements when I cut pieces, and use a scant 1/4 to sew.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #7133040

To go along with the 1/4" seam, measure your units as you go. If making a 12" (finished) block, using a 9 patch, each of those units will be 4 1/2" (raw). It may help to invest in some of the smaller square rulers. I use my 4 1/2" frequently.

The more pieces in any block, the more important that 1/4" seam becomes. 1 thread may not make a difference if there are just 4 seams, but becomes very important if there are 20 seams in a block.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #7133263

The way I learned to find the 1/4" seam was to cut three pieces of material all at 1+1/2 inches wide. Sew the three of the strips together and press well. The center strip should measure exactly 1 inch. If it is too narrow, your seam allowance needs to be made smaller. If it is too wide, your seam allowance needs to be made bigger.

I do like your suggestion Jean as it seems easier to do. It's strange the different ways we have been taught to do the same thing...
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #7136623

OK, I finished the September block on Sunday and it was lots of triangles. I measured my 1/4" foot to see if it was right on and it was so I used it but hugged the edge to make it a little tighter. Everything proceeded smoothly until I got done and measured the block; it was just a little over 12", not the 12.5 it should have been!! Boy, was I mad.

Is there a way to measure the pattern ahead of time to see if you need to go short on the seams or cut the pieces bigger than the pattern says? I hate it when I am cleaning up scraps, make a block I like, and find out it isn't the right size and have to do it all over with different fabric. Is it just me?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7136679

Janice you have a d-mail...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #7136700

Oh and Janice - have a nice trip
And Mittsy - have a safe journey to Florida.
Thinking of you ladies as you travel...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7137204

Oh wonderful Mittsy will soon be back in the sunshine state---Not!! Pouring down rain today.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #7138155

OK, the Sep block was just a bunch of squares - 4 across & 4 down so each of those squares needed to be 3 1/2".

I NEVER cut anything to be an "1/8". I always round up. You can always trim away but can't add on.

So, for making the 1/2 squares I would have used 4" squares. You can even use 4 1/4" if you would feel "safer". Just square them to 3 1/2" after making them.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #7138823

so, when it calls for cutting 3 3/4" squares, you cut 4" ? then square up as you go to keep the correct measurement? I had a pattern that called for 2 7/8" squares, never had anything to difficult to cut in my life...
My machine table has a ruler guide embedded in the finish, so I don't have to move to measure, which helps tremendously, but I've not tried to cut 'up' on the beginning pieces, will have to try that when I get back to sewing this week. I'm working on 2" square Christmas scrappy placemats at the moment.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7139183

Only cut bigger if making 1/2 or 1/4 square units. Sew the pieces together, cut, press, line up the seam with the diagonal line on the ruler, and trim to the required size. You will get "perfect" squares every time. Might take a bit longer but worth it in the end.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7139428

got it! That should make it much easier on the scrapbag pieces that I'm saving for a scrappy postage size 1 1/2" square finished..Thanks!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2009
10:35 AM

Post #7140258

ewwww...Kizmo caught the "scrap" bug from me!!!!! she's doing the 1.5 thing !!!! Y'all better watch out...ya might catch it too LOL :-)

Kathy, want to swap some little squares ???

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #7140370

Talking of little squares - I learned how to do Seminole patchwork two weekends ago. I'm amazed at small you can make the squares!!!! I really liked it.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #7141630

sure, Thunder! I probably don't have as many scraps as you do, though! Still a rookie here, ya know...
I'll have more after I get my Christmas stuff done. Don't have them cut into squares yet, some of the ones I'm doing are triangles that I have left over that will be joined together for squares. I'll let ya know when I get a pile or two... LOL

Sounds like a swap thing...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7141699

Kizmo - If you want periodic deliveries of small pieces, let me know. I always have lots to share, don't I Thunder?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #7141729

That would be nice, Jean. It's a good way of collecting bits and pieces of your friends, don't ya think?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #7142535

well we need to see some pics of that Barb...

qwilter, and many others have shared some great little scraps with me !!

I would be more than happy to share some of my scraps with you Kathy..anything you don't want at all? do you want anything in particular? I have all sorts; solids, Halloween, Christmas, red whites and blues..etc... you are cutting 2" ?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7142713

Kathy, I will gladly cut for you as well as Thunder. Don't mind cutting the tiny pieces but don't ask me to sew them together. LOL

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #7142964

no, I'm not going to ask you to join them together... LOL Gee, I have to save the 'fun' for myself, don't ya know!!! I think 2" squares are about right, the triangle pieces I have saved are from 2", so by the time I get them together, hopefully they'll be somewhere in that range! I just figured it was a good way to make a 'collections' quilt: bits and pieces of fabric that I've started with. Of course, if I add in pieces from the quilting groups, that makes it a bit more special!
I just hope I can swap something with you all that will be different!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #7143046

Ok, so you want 2" squares?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #7143347

1 1/2 - 2" would be fine.. either/or I have a pile started for 2" squares and a bag for the 1 1/2". I made a few 1 1/2" squares from triangles, didn't do too bad - so I tried making a 9 patch out of 1" strips LOL (read: I think I'll go back to the 1 1/2" as the smallest. My SIL is doing the postage stamp size, she must have the patience of Job...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2009
9:48 AM

Post #7143684

OK - I took this pick for Thunder, but think Kizmo needs to see it also.

Twis was at the JAX Quilt show. Over 8,000 pieces. There are a couple 3" pieces here & there

Thumbnail by Qwilter

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #7143795

Oh my wasn't what I needed to look at before I had my coffee. I will certainly support Kizmo and Thunder but no way would I undertake that. Good luck!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #7143804

Kizmo - yopu mentioned that you had a scale on your machine that you used to check you seam width. Be careful when doing that as that measure and your cutting ruler measure may not be the same. I always use the same ruler when measuring any part of the same project. Just a thought... Barb

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #7144154

Barb, the one on my machine is pretty accurate, amazingly enough. But I do have a 4x18 that I keep on the right of my machine table and a 6 1/2 square up... good idea to mention though!

Jean, ... Jean, Jean,,, are you trying to give me ideas???????? I do distinctly remember you and Thunder making the comment about me eventually having lots of WIP and UFOs laying around...LOL Actually, that quilt looks like one of those pixel projects.. no, wait... if I squint my eyes and lean to the left, I think I see a ... no, maybe to the right just a little, it looks like a ... LOL

Ah, come on Marion... don't cha want to sit and cut up little squares in your spare time???????
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #7144935

Surely you jest Kizmo!! I cut the squares as I cut my fabric and drop them in a basket, when it is filled I then mail. I sent Thunder some here a while back so will save for you now. 2" X 2" is that the right size?

I hear ahoy calling me!!! LOL
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7145110

I would love to see the back of that quilt. Amazing. Love the tip thread and the sticky idea.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #7145193

2x2s will be great, Marion! Do you guys swap these out on a regular basis? You must have hoards (sorry, that's the pirate in me.. LOL) of squares! But that's what makes it neat, all those different ones! I need to get one of those small portable cutting mats so I can bring it downstairs with me while we watch our SyFy movies and such.

Jean, was the back of that quilt just a plain or print, or did she do something spectacular as well for the backing? One of the quilts at the little show I went to had a calico for the back, but they had worked in squares of a contrasting color from the front in an X from corner to corner, suppose like a reversible type. The front was gorg-e-ous, don't think I could have covered it up if it was on my bed or wall...
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7145352

another Syfy fan! yay!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7145390

I didn't look at the back. There was no white glove lady nearby.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #7145410

Thats what I call them too.. 'the white gloved ladies'

Im guessing thats not there real title??

This message was edited Oct 7, 2009 4:57 PM
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #7145478

Usually they are trained ninja warriors in disguise. Touch that quilt and hiyahhh!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7145493

ROFLOL, Sondra I have always suspected that. Good to have it comfirmed.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #7145593

hahahahaha...your not kidding. thats a good one

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7145611

yep, hubby is a dedicated SyFy fan, has tons of books that are in series, knows which actors played on what shows, even in costumes... drives me insane!!!! LOL but I like the SyFy channel, has a lot of good shows. I guess I needed a break from Fox News and DIY lol

I wondered why those ladies had white gloves on, I just assumed it was something the diehard quilters took to the shows with them so they could examine the quilts... guess I have a lot to learn!.. I can just see one of those White Handed Ninja's in action!
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #7145655

now every time you see someone at a quilt show with white gloves on, you are going to bust out laughing and have everyone looking at you like you are an insane quilter lady seeing ninjas :)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7145793

yep, that's for sure!! LOL
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7145906

hey I see UFO's lol...lots of them, every day in fact. Most have strings hanging off of them instead of little lights, but if someone asks me if I've ever seen a UFO I say absolutely! I keep them in a closet too.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #7146106

thanks for the giggles all !! you "guys" are just awesome !! I basically had a rotten day at work...and more craziness when I got home...so nice to get on here I find my silly friends!!! :-)

qwilter thanks so much for the photo I love It!! was it a "true" charm quilt? do you know?? WOW

Kathy, we don't swap these scraps per se . we just send them along as we get a bunch...Or mostly everybody just sends there little bits to me if they know I can get a 1.5 " square out of it...sometimes I get them cut , mostly I cut them at a later time..they often send them when they are sending another block anyway...

I have sent some out to a few others, looking for certain scraps for one project or another.. would be more than happy to share with you! as I cut stuff up that I am working on, I will cut a few ''extra'' for you...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #7146354

Thanks, Thunder! I'm sure I'll have some to send along, too. I found more of the plaid/check fabric in our Wmart today. Am in the process of staystitching around the edges to keep it from fraying so badly. I just bought a yd of each one, but I have so many of those 'yards' that I'm just going to do them all at one time and throw them in a cold water wash. The first time I just put them in on a slow cycle/low heat and they were so tangled, it took a while to separate and trim them up.
I found another log cabin pattern that was sent in some books I bought from Ebay, and some blue quilt books(paperback) from the 50s I think. I got these a couple of months ago and forgot I had them.. really nice old patterns too. Plus, I found some pillowcase ideas that looks like a section of 1 1/2" squares sewed onto the edge of the pillowcase, maybe a width of 4-5", thought that was a good idea too. All the tips that Jean has for making these seams are going to come in handy for that.
I always told the guys at work that the company really hired me for their entertainment, as I was usually the one that tried to keep the meetings light instead of so serious and grumpy.. I told them the more fun my crews had during the day, the happier they were, and their production and quality showed it.Plus it made the long hours seem to go by faster for them, we were a really close knit group! Of course, the other Supers blew me off at first, but after seeing the numbers in quarterly reports, they knew I was serious.
I'm a middle child, if that tells you anything, so I like to be happy and accommodating and have fun in the process! Everyone have a good week and a great weekend!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2009
10:51 AM

Post #7147195

Fantastic attitude Kizmo - wish more working people had it. It does make the day go by so much faster and people are not grumpy going home which leads to good times at home as well. And the cycle repeats.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #7147653

yes, there's nothing worse than having a crappy day at work, then taking the attitude home and having a crappy evening...and like you say, the cycle just keeps repeating thru the week. I found that if I went in grumpy as a Supervisor, the crews production was just so-so, but if I left that at the door... they worked better, even if one of them was having an off day. Of course, I did things for my crews that the others wouldn't do, like when it was 120 degrees in the plant, I would go out at break and buy big boxes of popsicles and pass them out to whoever wanted one, or a big watermelon. There was alot of give and take on my line!
But that was the good thing when I was working... I was single and the only one I had to grump at was the cat! She's not very affectionate, but when I was upset or feeling bad, she would always sit with me or sleep on the bed. Otherwise, she was a bit anti-social!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7147876

isn't it strange how the critters know when we need them most (and who) I can always tell if my hubby had a bad day cause the dog goes right back to his side after greeting me,when I get home from work...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7147984

how do you all cut your scraps to save?
Do you cut the little pieces into squares with scissors or do you take each little scrap and square it up
The triangle pieces are even more confusing on how to seperate and save. So many different sizes of corner pieces.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7148312

Animals have a way of lifting the spirits.
Can't spell today!

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 1:30 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7148355

Pam, I put my larger pieces in a plastic container, strips in another and if I am saving the itty bitty tinsy,winsy--oops that reminds me of a song--back to what I was saying the same pieces I cut for Thunder I put in a small basket and now I will add a basket for Kizmo. I cut their's as I go.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7148433

here's a ?? Jean... when you are sewing smaller squares like a 1" or 1 1/2", should the stitch length be shortened?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7148515

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm... I don't sew anything that small... but, I always sew with a very tight stitch. H$** to rip out but holds much better otherwise.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #7148565

I use the # 2.0 on my machine the most...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7148603

ok, just wondering... mine is set at 2.5 at the moment, but I was sewing the placemats. Goodness knows why I would want to try those small squares, but I never go by the norm anyway... LOL

By the way... how many stitches equals 2.0, etc... none of my books specify whether its 12, 15, 20, etc...

Ya know Jean, I bet you could write up a really good 'how to' book...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7148618

Actually I'm collecting all the funny stories from here and am going to use those to write a book!!!! You all get a 10% discount.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #7148715

ummm, guess we had better be careful of what we say now. As long as you don't use it for blackmail. LOL

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7149000

I used to collect church cookbooks, as many of our local churches sold them for fund raisers. And I've picked up a few on vacations and even at yard sales. One of the most interesting ones was from my hairdresser. They were a big and extended family, and for one of their reunions about 5 yrs ago, decided to collect family recipes from the old folks especially, and put them in book form. They included quotes from the older ones, stories of farm life growing up together, (telling stories on each other..) and info about babies being born, the great-greats that weren't around any longer, etc. Plus the recipes were really good; common, simple recipes that anyone could make, whether you were making for 5 or 50. Very good read, I used to read it in bed after work, until I got it all read. Plus, we had lots more to chat about when I got my hair/nails done!
So, you see, we're all helping give birth to an author and didn't realize it!!!! LOL (besides, we all have 'ooops's, some of them are really funny, like sewing your apron to whatever you're sewing... or catching your shirt in your embroidery... They really happen to us and they are laughable, could be good sellers!)

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #7149036

well if we are supplying the content I think we need at least 50% off !!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #7149071

And you know, we would want them signed, in case she gets to be famous... My goodness, the dedication/thanks page would be a chapter on its own!!! LOL
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #7149257

I'm excited! I called a lady that advertises her longarm quilting services here in town to see if she gives lessons. She invited me to come over tomorrow to learn how to load a quilt properly and go over the basics with me. There aren't any classes here locally to learn and the shops only give them if you buy the whole set-up. Then, they don't really get too much into how to load a quilt, moreso they concentrate on showing you how the machine works. I'm hoping to learn a lot:)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7149587

wow, that sounds like fun! Good luck!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
10:43 AM

Post #7150486

Have fun with the long arm class. I got some training from the lady I used to use before I decided to buy mine. When I realized how "un-hard" it was was when I decided she charged way too much. On top of the quilting she charged a $10 loading fee - no matter what size quilt. I can see for a king because they do require a lot of straightening or an extra pair of hands, but for just a throw or twin size, that was a bit much.

And at least when quilting you don't need to worry about the 1/4" seam - unless you try to follow it!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #7151928

Seems like some people are in it for the money and profit, whereas others are in it because they love to do it. My mom baked cakes for people years ago, and she only charged about half of what the big bakeries were charging. And she got tons of orders, from cupcakes and cookies, to big wedding cakes and sides. She loved to do it, did a great job and usually people would give her a little extra when they paid her. She was happy, and that's all that mattered!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #7155643

http://www.lenzula.de/projects/colorwash.php

Quilting with bits and pieces! Amazing! An amazing site. Helene

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #7155872

a fantastic site !! thanks so much
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #7155910

Before our quilt shop closed...I took a class in these 'watercolor' quilts. I still have a huge container full of thin strips I cut for the class, of different floral fabrics . I just cant get my mind wraped around these...as far as visualizing. The are really 'lookers' tho, thats for sure.
I have a watercolor pattern book that goes with it, i will go look to see if I can find it, maybe someone would like to pick up stage two of the quilt if i can find enough of the parts to send.

I have 30 minutes to kill before the game, this will keep me occupied. I loved all that print fabric.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7165935

I used my new toys - rotary cutter, cutting mat, 1/4" pressure foot and made this tiny bit of a patchwork into a fob. My daughters (going on 50) don't know what a scissor fob is. In using itsy bitsy teeny ...scraps (which I have never done before either) I created this bit of itsy bi...patchwork and made it into ascissor fob, giving it tto them and nieces for christmas right along with a beautiful DMC scissor and needle threader..HD ill also embelish with beads.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #7165979

Love the fob helene! and gardenglory, I've seen some gorgeous quilts made from those floral strips done in a log cabin block. Half light and half dark and oh my were they stunning. I'd even trade you something for them if you don't think you'll use them.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #7166033

Very nice Helene. See you are now becoming one of us addicted people. LOL

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7166408

ok, I'm 53 and I don't know what it's for either.. LOL To attach to your scissors so you don't lose them or to put the tips in so you can carry them safely...???????

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #7167472

Me. too, Kizmo. I am 70 and don't know what it is for either. Looks pretty and I am always into "pretty", but what do you use a fob for.
Is it like a watch fob, that attaches the watch to your pants?
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #7167553

I'm 52 (closing in on 53) and I don't know what a scissors fob is either!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #7167607

Ok, I am 69 and I know what a scissors fob is. It is attached to the scissors to either identify them as yours and/or to keep track of them. They can also include a tip cover to protect the points. The tip is similar to a rubber thumb cover used for sorting papers. As Helene showed with her's, they are usually decorative.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #7167895

Well I am 72 and I didn't know either.
I saw this in the Zweigart Needleworks magazine and was facinated. My first reaction: who would spend time on something so silly. Well I did.Then on the net I actually saw many, mostly made with beads. With all the practice I can get, as it turns out, with my new quilting gadets, I decided to use up my sewn scraps this way. I actually found this very scissor for them and my nieces. NICE I think.
My DGM must have used something like this because I remember it. My mother, who lived with us always attched red yarn onto hers, but just so the kids (my daughters) wouldn't take them. They were wild for her stuff. She actually , every day, marked her desk somehow to know that the girls didn't sneak any thing out (loved her scissors, scotchtape and perhaps a pen or two). I think it stand for "Found object". As the german translation suggests. Helene

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7167938

Thanks Marion, for the explanation... learn something new every day on this Forum!!! This would work for my little Stork embroidery scissors, they're always disappearing... another good stocking stuffer!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7168083

Once you have used them, you will want several. I have them on my stork scissors in my cross stitching kit--keep from jabbing fingers (provided you are using the tips) and poking holes (which has happened to me) in a project that might be in the bag. They indeed are great stocking stuffers for little "I am thinking of you" gifts and many other occasions.
I use them also to identify my scissors so they aren't used for other purposes.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

October 14, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7168227

Great link to the watercolor page - what a nice touch to include family pictures in the square.

I have a couple of watercolor quilt books and started collecting fabric strips, but not having had the time to sit and read the books, I really don't get the concept, yet. I wish I could take a class about it.

And holy smokes, did you see that beautiful dress she made? If I were slender enough to get away with wearing something like that, I would make one in a hurry. Unfortunately, though, were I to put one one right now, I'd look like an unmade bed that can walk! :D

That fob is darling and what a nice set that is with the pretty scissors and threader. Perfect little treasure of a gift!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #7168918

Love the fob. If I prettied up my scissors, maybe DS would leave them alone. Right now I just hide them.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #7169241

Came to realize- didn't know before how exciting a 1/4" is. Been working with 1/4" pressure foot. man that's all I got to say. So right in the middle it did not do it's thing. Can I fix this without taking it all apart. Should I hand quilt this border to make the mistake less prominent.?This new PF has a guide, which I am not sure I like. Have to work with it. Then I don't like sewing such petty little things... These are fingertip towels.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #7169556

Helene, did you do the embroidery, crochet work and the squares at the end of the towel?? That's really cute! The little squares look like they have metallic thread running through them? Little pieces are hard to work with, in my opinion.
Not all 1/4" pressure feet come with a guide on the side of it. I got mine from Clotilde, it is just clear plastic (?) with graduated markings on the tips. I've seen the feet w/guides on Babylocks, and other high end machines. Mine is just an old zigzag machine from my ex for our 1st Christmas... It has seen alot of sewing through the years!
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7169680

I bought a Brother sewing machine at a garage sale for 5.00 this summer. It's about 15 years old and the lady selling it was frustrated that it kept tangling up. I cleaned it up, oiled it and found that the screw on the bobbin holder was very loose which caused all sorts of bobbin tension problems. I tightened it up and it's now sewing a pretty darn good straight stitch, although it still does not run a zigzag stitch very well.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7169703

Yes, I do have a problem with those squares, 1" is not my bag but I am trying. I didn't know to much about the1/4" foot just kind of got it at Hancocks. The guide needs getting used to as I said. I am trying. The cut - offs create my little fobs. never done such silly things in all my life, but I am loving it. The embroideryed fob in the above pix has instructions with it if any one wants to try it. easy. I can send a copy.
So I was trying to work with my 2 fabrics I posted in the other thread and my Paint program crashed. I like putting things together that way. Visualizing. All have a good night. Going off dealing with DELL.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #7169717

Wow that is a steal not a buy.

My heart hurts, that I did not see this thread before I moved here, i could have, would have given things. So much quilting related stuff ended up in the dumpster. Fabric, sewing machine (Hallmark all steel) quilting books, QSof A, Paducah quilters magazines, many. I never thought i'd be able to sew again.

I have been very, very ill. Had surgeries and wasn't allowed to sit for 6 mo. then i couldn't sit for another 1 1/2 year. So when we moved I never thought i'd be able to sew ever again. Fast Forward here I am with you guys and doing stupid little stuff and thinking it is very important..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #7169734

You deserve a hearty congratulations. I for one, am glad you are here with us, and doing these silly little things. Beautiful work.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #7169776

The world needs your clever little thingies and so do I. We each fill a niche and yours is now here with us. And it is IMPORTANT just because it makes YOU feel good!!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #7170044

Thank you, i do exactly that since 9/11 that was the original devasting day in my life. Not necessarly touched by the same as many others. I found out I had rectal cancer while watching the twin rtowers topple, and was treated consqeuntly at Memorial Sloan kettering in NYC. Was fine after many months of recup. then again 3 years later. I was to get one of 5 rooms that existed in the whole country. How flattering is that. Well it is a room, where they apply Radiation to the open body and all humans leave until session is ended...on and on. But here I am driving, cooking baking cleaning and doing all things I am not supposed to be doing..

Doing stupid little things for my GIRLS (daughters and nieces) which in all these years there was never any time to do , because I was in business and that came first. They adore whats given to them.

I adore your friendship - priceless- thanks helene
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #7170061

Not "stupid" things... meaningful things...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7170063

Oh yes, Jean is right. Glad you are here with us and congrats again--overcoming a lots and doing new things.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #7170213

in my opinion, the little 'stupid' things that we do come around to be 'priceless' when we find that we can't do them any longer, or for the loved ones that we did them for to begin with.. I wish we could drum that into young people's heads so they don't have to wait until they're old before they realize that life and time, in all ways and forms, is precious. It's not something we can bring back once it's gone.
You've come a long way thru some really hard times, make the most of those things you are doing for others and make all the 'silly' things you want... we like seeing your projects, very precise and thoughtful in an artsy type of way. Your quilts will be the same, I suppose, the designs will be that what means the most in your life and will show in your needlework.
Your fabric above has the look and visual feel of water, cool, clear and those blue-sy tones of the Keys... can't wait to see what you come up with...
Have a good evening!
Kathy
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7171873

I love the scissors that you have with your fob. Where did you get it, Helene? It is so pretty I would enjoy usig it. Mine are all Fiskars and while I love them the orange handle makes me think of "jail bait".

Now that I am 70 I feel like I am lving on borrowed time. Not that I have been ill, and with Dad pushing 102 and still so active, I certainly have years ahead but I feel like I want to see and do as much as possible.
Like others there were years of work taking first place and now this
"girl just wants to have fun!" There is so much I still want to learn and you all are helping me see how much more that really is.

My new Janome has a 1/4" foot with an edge. I thought I would like it but when you need to do a "scant" 1/4" I have to ignore the edge or use another foot.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

October 15, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7172017

I have the same problems - I've bought several different 1/4" feet for my machines and not one of them works worth a hoot for me. I know they work beautifully for some people, so I'm sure it's operator error, but the one that has the little "fence" along the right side of the foot was especially disappointing. It was supposed to be a quilters' "miracle" - the foot that solved all my precision problems and washed the dinner dishes, too. (Okay I made that up. ;) But the fence is flexible, so it bows outward and I end up with more than 5/16" or inward and I get 3/16".

Instead, I use the painter's tape trick that Qwilter mentioned. I buy rolls of blue tape at the dollar store, and then cut down into them with an x-acto knife at 2-3" intervals around the roll so that I can pull off multiple layers of tape in strips about 1/16" high. I stick them to a plastic bag until I need to put them on a machine. I use a seam gauge to roughly estimate where the strip goes and then I fuss with them (a LOT of fussing at first!) until the strips of fabric are feeding perfectly to give me a couple of threads less than 1/4." The tape stays there until it wears out or needs adjusting. (or the piecing is done ;)

And speaking of piecing done - I've got to mail 44 squares for a swap in two weeks and I haven't even decided on my two designs, yet. 'Bout time to get to work - Last-Minute-Lizzie strikes again! :) Y'all have a great day!

Elizabeth

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #7172539

Ladies yes, 1/4" sewing was amazing to me but the foot is another story
Quoting: but the one that has the little "fence" along the right side of the foot was especially disappointing. It was supposed to be a quilters' "miracle" - the foot that solved all my precision problems and washed the dinner dishes, too. (Okay I made that up. ;) But the fence is flexible, so it bows outward and I end up with more than 5/16" or inward and I get 3/16".

The scissor with the embroidered fob is a DMC enameld scissor available at overstock.com $8.81 + 3.00 shipping. I ordered 5 to go with the gift fobs. I too love it. You know I don't like the orange handles either... I have a cheap Janome love the machine. The foot with that little dingamjig is anoying as get got.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #7174221

I have a couple different 1/4'' feet, for different machines...one of them has the edge..and I love it!!!! It did take some getting used to, but now I think it is fantastic..It is really great when stitching long strips together.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #7174881

Janice, on your Janome - with the needle in the "UP" position, press the stitch width button on the plus side. Watch your needle as you do this. You should see it move ever so slightly toward the right. Keep pressing until you can't go any more and then hit the minus side once or twice. Very gently using the wheel, lower the needle to make sure it fits within the foot. If it hits the foot, hit the minus side some more. What this does is decrease the size of your seam allowance. If your seam allowance is too small to begin with, hit the minus side to move the needle to the left. You need to play with this feature until you find the correct spot for 1/4". On my Janome, I set the stitch width to 4.5...
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #7175054

on my Janome 4800, depending on the foot I'm using, it's 6.5 or 5.5

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #7175106

Every machine is different so playing with it is necessary. The fact that the needle moves around like that is fantastic as far as I am concerned!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #7175182

As long as you can remeber where it needs to be set & remember to set it each time.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #7175302

A sticky on the bed near the needle does it for me!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7175623

Barb - I never would have thought of that. I'll make sure that tip gets in the book!!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7175861

Mine is a Janome 4800 (I think) and I will be trying that tip to set the needle. I love the machine and the abiity to change the length and width of the stitches. That worked well when I was doing machine applique. By the way, I am taking a clas in appliquing a sweatshirt and it say the "pattern is reversed". What does that mean when it comes to cutting out pieces? I've never done this before so I don't know quite what that means.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7175978

not knowing exactly what you referring this to, I am asuming that it's letters or other images, so that when you place the cut-outs on the sweatshirt, it looks right.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7176117

Helene is correct - what you cut out will be the reverse once it is appligued on, if you are drawing the design on a fusible that is on the back of the cut out.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7179229

Ok. Does that mean that when I am drawing the pattern on the fusible web that I have to turn it over to get the right design? I am so confused! These designs don't look any different one side or the other.

When I look at the drawings they look the way I want them to look on the sweatshirt. I will be using double sticky fusible webing to draw the design and then cut out those pieces. Do I turn the pattern over and draw on the wrong side or do I slip the pattern under the web and draw on the right side?
Am I making any sense?

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7179378

The pattern needs to be backwards when traced so that it will be right way around when fused to whatever it is being placed on.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7179465

If the design doesn't have to go one way or the other, it doesn't really matter.
Most designs that are meant to be done with a fusible web, come already "backwards" so it will be right when finished

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7186585

found this today for an explanation and pics of doing a 1/4" seam, if anyone's interested, or needs some pictorials:

http://quiltville.com/quarterinch.shtml

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #7188556

that 1/4" !!! It is mighty!!!
So I find on my Janome zig zag pressure foot is the provision for 1/4". So I am making these borders for finger tip towels finished one. Quite nice. But in pressing the seams open, (having a keen eye from dressmaking) it did not look 1/4", but I should have gone along and not changed for the next border, because as it has been said over and over, A SCANT, and that's what I had. Doing the next with exactly 1/4" seam it did not come as 1" patch. It was a scant less.
Why because when pressing, the little bend that's created takes up a smidge/scant of the fabric thus making it a scant when sewn, and actually taking up 1/4" of fabric exactly when pressed. Yes?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #7188813

Exactly! And the more seams you piece together across the width of a block, the more 'smidges' it takes out of the final measurement. My first block I sewed with 1/4" seams(or what I measured as that), final measurement was 12", instead of 12 1/2". My second one, I used a 'scant' 1/4", measured as I stitched each row after that, and it came out to the correct 12 1/2". After I got it thru my head, it made sense. Everytime you stitch a seam, it is drawn together with a couple threads, even pressing won't change it. For one seam, it isn't too bad, but sew together lots of seams, you will lose considerable size!
One forum I was on today, a lady mentioned that even with her 1/4" foot, sometimes she has problems. I had changed from moving my needle off center to keeping the edge of the fabric just under or barely at the edge of the foot to keep my 1/4" on mark. She said the same thing, so I felt better knowing that I had figured it out on my own and that someone else had the same problem/idea I did.
All the tips/hints on these threads are so helpful, sometimes just reading them doesn't really apply at the time, but later on, when you need one of those 'A HA!!!!' moments, they sure are appreciated!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
9:40 AM

Post #7189206

Also remember - if you aren't swapping - all the blocks are for you, it really doesn't matter (in most cases) if all the blocks come in at 12 1/4" or 12 3/4". You just need to adjust the sashings & borders accordingly.

And, if the block does have many pieces it does help to cut each piece just 2 threads larger.

Need to decide which "tip" thread to start next...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #7189430

My foot has an edge, I did the card trick, I was shocked, but when I turned that card over it was right on that line. I was happy about that. I ve always wondered.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7193603

I have a subject that maybe you could give some tips on. Papaer piecing or regular machine, when it comes to points at the edge of the block, I have a bear of a time getting a 1/4 inch seam allowance after the point. Clearly, that is a hearbreaker..cuz there goes your nice point when pieced together with something else.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #7195342

If all the seams are 1/4" there will be points where points are supposed to be.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #7196394

To me the most important thing is the point. If I need to adjust a seam allowance to get the point, I do. I put a pin straight through where I want the points to meet. Then I pin on either side of that pin. When I sew, I do so right where the straight pin is. Sometimes the seam allowance on one side may be wider or narrower than the other. To me this does not matter as it is inside the quilt. As long as there is at least 1/8" I will use it. If I am in doubt as to how strong the seam will be, I will stitch another row next to the one I just did to strengthen it. Don't know if this helps or confuses anyone.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #7198842

Barb - I also pin at the point most of the time.

Proper pressing also helps get a good point. Like nesting the seams (where 1 is pressed to the left and the other to the right. Makes them meet up so nicely.

And it usually helps to press away from the middle (like in a Flying Geese block). Makes seeing the seams & point much easier. And ledd bulk means it lies flatter also.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #7215154

So i fell right into deeep end of quilting. That 1/4" thing is truly amazing.

I Pinned a Tennis ball right above where my head should be, above my Needle, as to where to start each and every time as I sew in the garage/ (sweat shop)

I am kidding , But I bet it would work! Worked for the cars.

Anyhow. Table runner. practicing all the 1/4" info. in this thread

Tried to get into beginners sewing class -- here inBradenton --cancelled, not no one signed up.
I asked for private lesson. No! it's a huge new beautiful quiltshop. I don't understand.

This pictures shows where i machine quilted. ugly. will show the near finished product.

not used to This windows upgrade to windows 7 is getting me unravelled...
My flying geese had one gander so instead of quilting I knot- tied beads into corners of my triangles on the right side. I think very beautiful

This message was edited Oct 27, 2009 9:05 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #7215582

Boy, you did jump in with both feet, didn't you?? Flying Geese, no less! Love the red and black fabrics, I couldn't pick out the beads on my monitor, but sounds lovely.
I think some quilt shops are in it for the money and prestige, instead of the love of sewing and teaching others. I have asked the locals here for info, and they hem haw around, say they'll call, but don't. Then when I called to find out again, they said "oh, that class started a week ago, not sure when they are going to have another because the regulars want her to teach more advanced lessons". So that's why I turn to these ladies on Dave's. I practice with all the info I can find on the 'net, and books that I buy or borrow from the library. Haven't seen any 'quilt police' at my door yet (LOL), so I guess I'm doing ok! I've watched many videos on different websites, quite a few of Eleanor Burns before I even touched a block, that helped me a great deal, along with posting pics on here and asking for suggestions.
The first coaster I did the 'stitch in the ditch' on the machine, I ended up taking out and redoing 1/4" from the seam. I liked it better. My wall hangings for my friends, I'm doing by hand, also 1/4" (or so) from the seams, as it is more a 'homey' design, and the girls would like it better. I'm not very good at doing fancy stitches on the machine, as I don't have a darning foot yet, but eventually will try it.
My ex Father in law hung a tennis ball in their garage to help his wife pull their big Delta in...that worked ok, until my ex hubby took it down to put up ceiling tile, then put it on the wrong rafter... Ooops! Mommy-in-law ran into a shower fixture that cost $1500 (in 1975) and cracked a big piece out of it... I did the same thing to new hubby, was cutting 2x8s in the garage last summer. Instead of moving the portable table saw out of the way, I tossed the ball and string up over the ceiling rafter. When I was finished, I pulled it down, but failed to pull it down in the right space. He backs into the garage, and watches the ball in the rearview mirror. It didn't move, but the shelving on the wall did... :-(
Anyway, keep practicing, it won't be long and you'll have tackled that 1/4" !!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7216625

The picture posted shows it with quilting. I think this is what you call "in the ditch" ITD?
Well it did not stay in the ditch because the geese are flying in an irregular fomat.So I ripped it out and set beads in the corners and hand knotted on the wrong side with embroidery floss. looks table runnerish i mean it has eye interest. Learned a short cut to do geese. There went the 1/4". Had to re-cut all pieces. Love cutting with the R-tool and the self-healing mat. (that word gives me a problem)

This is with the beads showing. I intended it as a gift for SIL- But now with the beads it's mine. Quilt and Glitz

I brought home a brand new Audi parked it the same as the other car.Hit Garage door button - Bam right onto the bumper. Then we put up the tennis ball on the ceiling, showing where to stop and black tape on the floor in the back. Walked around the car to the back for as long as we had it.

I am doing the same as to learning. Mags Puter etc. would like a class but to get to the mainland ;Sarasota or Bradenton is 1/2+ and then to the shop. But if there aren't any what to do???

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7216750

I guess this is the place to post a hint: when stitching my hand and for a guide line to keep it straight (especially 1/4 " out) buy the 1/4" masking tape at the hardware store--much cheaper and doesn't leave marks on the fabric either. I was taught that back when I started quilting and used it as long as I hand quilted. Then that old Uncle came to visit and I don't hand stitch very much any more.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

October 28, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7216798

That's really pretty, helene! I like your addition of the beads and I hope you keep doing things like that - "as the spirit moves." You didn't start with a terribly easy pattern, but it looks just great!

Stitch in the ditch is difficult for me - between the arthritis and the muscle weakness, it's very hard to keep that needle lined up exactly right, especially when it's a king size quilt I'm wrestling with. So the last time I did it, I used a decorative stitch - it's a single-line wave that wanders side to side, crossing back and forth over the ditch. It looks pretty nice and the places where I really wander away from the seam don't stand out quite so badly. ;)

You can make the stitch as narrow or wide as you want to - I kept mine pretty narrow, but if I'd wanted to make the quilting more of a feature, a wide stitch in a different color would have been pretty, too. Just something I read in a magazine and decided to try. :)

I'd say you're doing pretty well on your own with the magazines and videos - forget the classes. ;)

In case you don't know about this site, here's one for online quilting videos: http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com

It's $40 or $50 a year, but you get a subscription to Easy Quilts magazine and to qnntv.com, which has hundreds of quilt shows to watch any time you want to - lots of Quilt in a Day and Love of Quilting, Quilting the World Over, Quilt Central, Quilt Out Loud and a lot of others. I love those videos and if I don't understand something, I can keep going back and watching it until it makes sense.

Plus there are a lot of discounts for quilt and craft stores - just the 10% off at Joann card pays for my membership in a couple of months.

The Easy Quilts magazine comes to you in print, but it's also available to members on line, which is great because when you want to print a pattern, you don't have to scan your magazine, you just print it from the web.

It's one of the quilting purchases that I've made that is well worth what I paid for it.

Have fun with Windows 7! :)
Elizabeth

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7216926

Thanks so much, that was a mouthfull of information. Last first. Window 7 is simpler than my Vista - doesnt have so much picture stuff. We'll see!

Thanks for that quilting site I pasted it on my own URLS list to check out later.

My regular,cheapee sewing machine has 50 stitches never thought of applying something else. Such good advice.

I just checked out a website of a Tampa store and saw how they piece and with a fancy stitch. Applique like using the machine applique stitch. I have a project where this would work. Very interesting

I am not new to quilting. I am very new to traditional piecing and machine quilting.

On that table runner I do want to add some quilting into the large patches with the embroidery machine...

Thanks for your thoughts. HD

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7217027

Love that red poinsettia fabric, does it have sparkles in it? I think the little beads in the corners make this fun, you made a good decision! I knew you could figure something out on your own, you have a good eye for design...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #7217989

yes a little glitz on the poinsettias. Enveloped (framed it with holly and gold). named it "Geese sitting in Holly".The back is a loud Ponsietta with gold. Just beautiful I think.

man one little piece of quilt and endless learning.
Here is a pointer for exact double mitered corners. Cut the border fabric exactly the same size as each side of the quilt before adding / sewn to the quilt
- Fold fabric and cut on 45 angle with the outside tip being to the right the fold along the top. Sew border pieces down to 3/8" which is your seam allowance sewing quilt and border piece together.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 29, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #7221409

So, lizabeth I checked out the Quilters Club of Amer Website. OMGosh - I can be on this computer all day, just checking and learning. Have to think about joining because of time. Thanks so much HD
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

October 29, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7221836

I know what you mean. You can spend so much time watching videos that you never get around to actually quilting anything! ;)

I'm the same way about books and magazines. I have been collecting fabrics mostly in groups - and I'm looking for the perfect pattern for each group. (the peach and green group, the retro toys group, the '30's group, etc.)I keep buying magazines and marking the patterns and setting them aside with little post-its sticking out of the top with the group or the person's name on it. Brandon's quilt, CeAnna's quilt, Barby's quilt, peach and green... but the post-its are duplicating, now as I find a new pattern just a little more perfect than the first perfect pattern I tagged for it!

I can spend hours in my stacks of books.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7221964

now this too was helpful to me - I promised myself not too buy other than something I can do now. NOT Happenning. TU again HD
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8731510

I'm bumping this up since there have been talks about the "scant" 1/4 Seam.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8731591

Thanks Jean. Great lessons at the begining of this thread...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8744665

Jean the bump of this thread was timely as I was explaining to a friend how we do swaps. I told her sometimes we ask for a certain pattern AND colors, other times just the colors. This thread gave me an example to show her! Your red/ white and blue quilt turned out so pretty!

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8859877

I blame Thunder, my sister-n-law for sending me to this site, lol. I never really thought much about 1/4" seams, just sewed and figured it all out later, lol. But, now that I am heavily in to quilting I am going to investigate all these wonderful gadgets and techniques you all keep talking about. Thanks once again, Thunder, for spending my money, ha ha... I have got to get a day where I can spend a day at the house in stead of a few minutes here, a few minutes there, lol. Either way, all of you are a walking information booth. Thanks.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9600571

I have much trouble staying on 1/4 inch, especially when I am hand sewing and have two comments. When I am hand sewing and having trouble keeping the right seam I sometimes put tiger tape down to guide me. Then I can take it off that piece and put it on the next one. It lasts for awhile and usually gets me back on the right track. On my machine I have trouble seeing well enough to keep my fabric at any certain point. What I do is use blue painters tape. I put one down on my machine after very carefully measuring then I put several layers of it down. By the time I have 6 or 7 layers of tape it creates a small ridge. Just enough for me to easily feel and see that the fabric is in the right place. Since I keep the tape handy I use it to clean up when I am done. My clothes usually get full of little bits of thread. I hope someone will be interested in this.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2013
3:44 AM

Post #9600677

Many (including me) have a problem using the tape method on the sewing machine. My quilting foot is just a bit wider than the SCANT 1/4" so the tape ends up being in the way of the foot lowering. For others with this problem use just 1 layer of tape so at least you can better "see" where that scant 1/4 is.

For hand piecing, I trace the template MINUS the 1/4" seam allownace then just eyeball the 1/4" when cutting it out. Then I can follow the tracing line when sewing the pieces together.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 16, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9601070

so many great ideas, excellent to refresh my memory..

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2013
10:02 PM

Post #9601829

good reuse of tape Mable.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9607729

*sigh* I just came back to this thread to look again at Jean's beautiful quilt. I LOVE that red white and blue scappy quilt.

NO sewing in weeks... just packing, cleaning, repairing, painting and buying more supplies, nagging at contractors.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2013
3:49 AM

Post #9607940

Really important is "knowing the machine/foot". NEVER think that if you can do a PERFECT 1/4" on 1 machine that you can sit down & do it the same on another. All machine & feet are a tad different.

And if a 12" block has a LOT of pieces, you need to get that scant 1/4" perfect.

But, it is possible & practice is the way to do it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America