Photo by Melody

Article: Heucheras: A conversation with Heuchera breeder Dan Heims: At Last!

Communities > Forums > Article: Heucheras: A conversation with Heuchera breeder Dan Heims
bookmark
Forum: Article: Heucheras: A conversation with Heuchera breeder Dan HeimsReplies: 1, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 5, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #7136399

At last someone has written about these forgotten and misunderstood plants, well done!
When I was doing my Apprenticeship in Horticulture for the Parks Department, they sent me to a wonderful Victorian park, this had lots of Heuchera planted in the shady bits of the shrubberies.
At first I did not know what they were but soon learnt. I was constantly asked by the public, what these wonderfully coloured ground cover plants were, and although i could tell them, they used to moan that they could not get hold of them.
There was no internet then so you could not look them up, or anywhere to get them. The R.H.S. gardens at Wisley used to sell some, but that is quite at trip.
We have two garden centres near us; one is just a plant shopping supermarket with nearly everything on sale that is not even plant related and the plants are not in very good condition. If you ask a staff member for a plant in its Scientific name, they think you are from another planet, that is if they can get there headphones from their ipods off.
The other used to be nursery and has become a bit more like a garden centre, there plants are excellent and they know what you are talking about, se we are luck there!
This year I took my wife to the Chelsea flower show, and to my surprise and utmost pleasure there was a whole stand of Heuchera.
I took a picture or two, so here is one of them.
Regards form England.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JLWP
Denton, TX

October 6, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7139443

What a pretty picture from the Chelsea Garden Show! Those white blooms have the look of clear Christmas lights in your picture (if you use your imagination), and I love the way the heucheras look with those wicker baskets. (You just gave me an idea for a pretty looking plant gift!) I bought my first 4 heucheras (burgundy) last November. They had been left out in the wintry weather (but that's referring to a North Texas winter) in the plant section of a Wal-Mart. (I've been known to buy plants that I recognized as needing someone to love them.) I planted 2 of them in dappled shade in the ground in the front yard where they are still thriving. The other two of them I left in their pots in the back yard (also in dappled shade). The ones in the pots were irresistible to something (?) which munched on their leaves, though they are still alive. If anyone knows what it might have been that ate holes in all the leaves and what to do about it, I would be all ears to hear. Thanks so much.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Heucheras: A conversation with Heuchera breeder Dan Heims Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dreamy Foliage gwen21 1 Oct 4, 2009 7:53 PM
Fabulous Article Debsroots 5 Sep 13, 2010 6:48 AM
Great Article roserairie 0 Oct 5, 2009 3:14 AM
Walnuts DianeEG 0 Oct 5, 2009 1:32 PM
whatever happened to.... snowlion 0 Oct 5, 2009 2:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America