Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Seed catalogs and no-fail seed starts without fancy equip

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 9, Views: 255
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annodun
Clive, IA

October 5, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7136638

I'm working on a story on No-Fail Seed Starts for home gardeners. I'd love to have some home gardeners weigh in on this with their best tips and tricks for starting seeds indoors without any fancy equipment. I want to inspire readers to start seeds for the first time without worrying about an investment in any fancy equipment. I'd also like to offer tips for gardeners who have done this a time or two but would like to improve their methods. There are by-the-book tips for starting seeds and then there are the little tips and tricks and rules of thumb you learn from doing it every year. Id love to know your best tip or trick for No-Fail Seed Starts.

I'm also looking for some input on seed catalogs. In January, I look forward to getting seed catalogs in the mail and planning my summer garden. Id like to put together a list of the best-of-the-best Seed Catalogs Gardeners Love and Why. Consider your favorites for heirlooms veggies, flowers, widest selection, unusual varieties, equipment, etc. Let me know what you love and why.

Thanks in advance for your help.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7144300

You may find this web site a great resource for your research.

http://www.gardenlist.com/
denises_garden
Williamsburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7161632

Here's a no frills technique I use for starting veggies in the winter.

I place seeds in seed starting trays & I have also used egg cartons.
Cover with plastic wrap until germination occurs
Place on top of my dryer (bottom heat)
Luckily laundry room has a window so they get lots of natural sunlight

My favorite seed companies:
Park Seed
Harris Seed
Homeharvest (Ferry Morse)
Select Seeds
Thompson & Morgan

JackieAnna
Cambridge, MA

October 19, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7184417

I'm a novice. I have 2 white pine seeds, and would like to germinate them. Can anyone tell me how?
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7193617

Jackie: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/896851/
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #7198380

Annodun, I'm afraid I'm not much help. My seed starting is pretty poor unless I have a heat mat; it seems to have made the difference, along with some sort of dome to contain humidity. Plain fluorescent lights right smack on top of the seedlings. That's all I can do!
gerryd41
Beebe, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7211248

I have been working with the cheap equipment idea. Posted my idea under vegetable topic at the end of the Feeding soil first thread - and the transplanting thread.
I like Baker Creek Seed Catalogs.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #7211293

For catalogues check out Kitazawa (www.kitazawaseed.com) Asian vegetable seeds. It is always fun to grow something you will probably never find in your local grocery. Plus, the catalogue includes recipes. Brilliant!
gerryd41
Beebe, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #7211311

Amen!! I grew Jelly Melon and it was the talk of the town. No one had ever seen anything like it.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 16, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #7466328

Here is data base on seed germination

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America