Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

WARNING; For every one in the northern Antilles (Caribbean)

Isles Bay, Montserrat(Zone 11)

Good Morning All

Just wanted to warn everyone in the area.

Last night our volcano decided to rear it's ugly head again. Around 10:00pm the Soufriere Hills volcano in Montserrat decided to let everyone know that it is still there. It started ash venting again. It has continued into this morning. There has been no explosions and the ash has stayed to the southwest (no ash at my house, thank goodness).

If you have plants that are not "ash hardy" you might want to check periodically so you can wash them off quickly so the ash does not damage the leaves or you can get them under cover until it quits.

I will try to keep everyone posted on the severity of the ash or if it quits again. From experience I know what the ash can do to plants and I don't want anyone to suffer the losses that I have because of that stupid volcano.

Tina

PS The picture is not of the ash cloud last night or this morning but of a previous ash cloud that floated behind my house.

Thumbnail by tbmontserrat
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

An impressive sight, Tina. May you not experience any losses or inconveniences from the Souffrière's latest tantrum.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Letohatchee, AL

OMG...Tina, be careful!...not only with plants but your health....
one of my GH got soot,(sp) from a kerosene heater one year.. I was out there "washing" all my plants...in a 96 ft. GH..lol lol lol

please take care..
Jody

No worries..being going through this a few years. I know enough when ash is falling you stay in the house til it quits and until it settles you wear a mask and goggles (to protect lungs and eyes). I look funny after it is over, I am outside with my mask and swimming goggles on, washing off plants.

It is and awesome sight though. As I am writing this it is rumbling. I will post some pictures if I can get some good one (it is overcast today)

Tina

Letohatchee, AL

I want to see a pic of all but the one of you in a mask and swimming goggles on, that would be a hoot....lol lol lol

yeah my DH wanted to take pictures of that and was threatened with his life so no pictures of that. lol

Picture of this Mornings event

Another

As I said it is an overcast day but you can tell the ash cloud from the regular clouds.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I will be thinking of you, Tina, and hope all continues to be safe for all you folks over there.

Thanks Jenn.

A series of pictures of a pyroclastic flow I took last year. The first time I was able to get a close up (at a safe distance). A pyroclastic flow is an avalanche of volcanic debris, and extremely hot gases. The series shows how it starts and spreads out. That is why it is so dangerous you don't know which way it will go. Our volcano does not have lava flows, the lava is hardened into a dome as the dome breaks off it creates pyroclastic flows and ash columns. (thought I would throw in a little education).

Keaau, HI

Best of hopes to you Tina.

I remember that it wasn't too long ago that Montserrat was evacuated because of the volcano.
If conditions do get bad, please don't worry about the plants, and take care of yourself.

Aloha, Dave

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

Fascinating and frightening. Those are incredible pictures and I went to google earth and wiki to learn more about your island. What a difficult recent history it's had, hurricane Hugo and then the eruption destroying the capitol. I was fascinated by the pictures of the island as well. I haven't been to the southeastern Caribbean and it is so different than the northwestern where we are. Gorgeous but with volcanic mountains and steep cliffs. The water and the beaches are different as well. I have a friend who lives and works in the Turks and I keep saying I will go and visit her, I really need to do that :)

Thanks Dave..my philosophy is if it is my life or the plants..plants will grow back or or re-plant & will grow..Me I would just be planted so if it is bad enough I am out of here LOL.
It is just venting, nothing to worry about right now except the "fall out" if the winds are blowing in the wrong direction.

extranjera..Yes, Montserrat has had a very difficult time in the last 20 years but it will survive. The volcano will quit one of these days or at least everyone hopes so. We are in the process of building a new capital on the northern part of the island it is at Little Bay. The Northern part of the island is perfectly safe.The islands in the Eastern Caribbean are all quite beautiful,.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of the pyroclastic flow: absolutely stunning. Fascinating, as Mr. Spok would interject.

Pyroclastic flows are so fast, so unpredictable and deadly. Many volcanologists have been lost to pyroclastic flows. Admittedly, being a volcanologists is not an armchair job. They do take huge risks and some pay the ultimate price for their bravado. Please be careful.

Thanks for sharing all this with us.
Sylvain.

Keaau, HI

Thanks Tina, please be careful.

Volcanoes are to be respected when they act up.

Here is an old photo of Pele (Kilauea) taking the town of Kalapana, Puna District, on Hawai'i Island in 1990.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

Great picture, Volcanoes must love to wipe out cities and villages. Plymouth (our old capital) has slowly been buried over the years. It is heartbreaking to see pictures of it before and visit now, 3 story buildings are buried to the roof in volcanic ash and debris. 12,000 people used to live in Plymouth, now there is none. Everyone was evacuated. It is so sad when you hear stories from people who had homes and businesses there. It is like what a flood can do the difference is with a flood you can rebuild with a volcano the land is lost because now you are in the path where it will continue to flow year after year.

A picture of part of Plymouth now.

Hi Sylvain..That is one job I would not want not only because of the dangers posed by the volcano but by the public when you have to make the call to evacuate people from their homes for months. One of the evacuations we were in last 9 months, I hated the Montserrat Observatories Scientist during that time, they would not let me go home. I know it was for my safety but I still hated them. LOL.

Tina

Letohatchee, AL

one year we had straight line winds..(wind speeds close to a tornado)..it took out a greenhouse and seed house and took the roof off of another seed house....the GH rolled into our box truck and took that out....

but at the same time people in the north was flooded out!!! everyone told me I had a great attitude about my GH's!..I told them how can I even complain about my GH's when so many people have lost much more then me....homes,jobs and even life....

I guess what I'm trying to say...when you think you have it bad...turn on the news!! pretty soon things get VERY CLEAR on how lucky you really are!

please Tina be safe....

Jody

I want to thank everyone for their concern.
The ash venting has been extremely vigorous today with an event about every 2 hours. 1 event this morning went to 20,000ft and another 15,000ft. We are still being blessed with winds taking the ash out to sea and not over inhabited areas. There has been no explosive events or any pyroclastic flows associated with these events so no dangers at this time.

Just to let you know if the situation becomes dangerous to us, we will evacuate. I have started digging up a few of my favorite plants and putting them in pots so if the ashing starts I can move them under cover so I do not lose them. I do not want to lose all my plants as I did in the 2006 dome collapse and the months that followed.

Tina

Letohatchee, AL

If things don't go as planned..and if you can get plants from USA.. I have a bunch of tropicals....so when thing settle down and you and yours are safe..PLEASE If I can replace any thing..just ask...

take care, Jody

Thank you so much for the offer Jody.
I have learned over the years which plants are "ash hardy", They will stay in the ground but the ones that are not, I have been digging them up (At least the ones I am able) and the ones that I can't dig up because they are too established or to big, I am taking cuttings so if they do not survive I will have some anyway,. All the seedlings I have will go into our guest house, it has plenty of room and is very bright. That is where all the potted plants go for this and hurricanes. Been through this quite a bit and know the drill LOL.
After the 2006 ashing I learned what will take the ash so after that most of the plants I have in the ground will survive. The volcano has been so quiet that I started planting other things I am not so sure about (that will teach me).
But I really do appreciate the offer, it is very kind of you.

Tina

Letohatchee, AL

O.K. just keep us posted....

I will

(Zone 1)

Wow, amazing photo's! Scary and interesting at the same time. Living in a Hurricane area is scary enough but I think I will stick with them ... I just couldn't handle earthquakes, volcano's or Tsunamis.

Thanks for sharing your great photo's ... Stay safe!

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

There was some haze yesterday in the Virgin Islands. They say most of the ash is going straight east, over the sea.

A Montserrat volcano website,

http://www.mvo.ms/

Several years ago we got a lot of ash, everything was gray and gritty, then it rained and washed it off the plants, but where it collected, it turned to cement(sort of, not real cement) Weeks before traces were gone.

Thanks for posting, Tina.

The ash plumes have been going west, out to sea. As I have said we have been blessed that the winds have been in our favor, keeping the ash in uninhabited areas

I know about the ash turning to cement...imagine a foot of the stuff getting wet and drying. That is why it is so important to get your roof cleaned off as soon as possible, otherwise there is the risk of it caving in from the weight. Here on Montserrat we prepare for ash fall, today I have been make sure there is no tall grass, tree limbs, piles of leaves, etc that will block the ash from washing away. A good pressure washer is a must, I have checked ours to make sure it works properly. The generator is working, ash shorts out transformers. I have the plastic ready to put in the windows, ash gets in every itty bitty space and into the house, it is horrible. Potted plants are ready to be moved under cover. Bag is packed in case of an emergency evacuation.

The last event we had was around midnight last night. So far today there has not been anything or at least nothing that could be seen. The MVO said there was evidence of 2 small pyroclastic flows yesterday, not good. The MVO helicopter has been flying around the volcano all day, so they will be able to tell us more later this evening.

Tina

Yes, the grittiest of gritty!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Just noticed this thread--wow, what a pain and scary, too! When my ex and I were stationed in Honolulu, we lived in a military housing reservation built on an extinct volcano. I sometimes wondered how long it had been extinct, and hoped it never came back to life, lol.
My ex had family in the Philippines, and they told us about having to wear masks if they went outside when the local volcano spewed ash. Yuk!
Please stay safe!

Good Morning

This morning the volcano sent up an ash cloud. The winds were blowing in the wrong direction. It sent the ash cloud to the North-Northwest. Ash is falling of most of the inhabited areas on Montserrat. I did not get a lot but other areas are reporting up to an inch.

Islands to the north and northwest of Montserrat will most likely get some fall out. Nevis and St. Kitts will probably get some within the next couple of hours.

Sorry, Molamola but it looks like you will get some ash later. Let me know if it makes it that far.

Take Care
Tina

Letohatchee, AL

your nerves must be shot.....please take care.....

Not really, been busy washing off plants. This ashing was not to bad, we were on the edge.But our Volcano observatory got hit pretty good.

Take Care
Tina

MVO being covered in ash.

Pretty thick in this one

An inch! Bummer! Poor you and your once-beautiful Island. I heard that there was such a good recording studio there that musicians visited, even the Beatles.

Once, but still beautiful Island. Your photo of Plymouth is spooky! And right now, 9 am, it's not real clear here, but I'll let you know what we get. Ugh, dirty car again! (O-Poor-Me haha)

Molamola

It rained last night and early this morning so the ash is sticking to everything. Where I live did not get very much at all. Just enough to make a mess.

Got the house shut up in time so it did not get into the house. Wanna talk dirty cars LOL

The music studio was Air Studios, it was pretty famous. The video for the song " Every Little thing She does is Magic" by the Police was shot at Air Studio and in Montserrat. You should check it out on YouTube.

Tina

Just an update

The volcano is becoming more active. The ash venting has lasted mot of the day. The winds have switched direction so none is coming to my house (thank you Lord). The pyroclastic flows have increased and on the south side there is more dome pushing up which means lava is reaching the surface. Not good because if this keeps up we will be evacuated.
I am adding a couple of new pictures from today's event.

Take Care
Tina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.