Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Zone Gardening: WARNING; For every one in the northern Antilles (Caribbean)

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 348, Views: 2,456
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #7136883

Good Morning All

Just wanted to warn everyone in the area.

Last night our volcano decided to rear it's ugly head again. Around 10:00pm the Soufriere Hills volcano in Montserrat decided to let everyone know that it is still there. It started ash venting again. It has continued into this morning. There has been no explosions and the ash has stayed to the southwest (no ash at my house, thank goodness).

If you have plants that are not "ash hardy" you might want to check periodically so you can wash them off quickly so the ash does not damage the leaves or you can get them under cover until it quits.

I will try to keep everyone posted on the severity of the ash or if it quits again. From experience I know what the ash can do to plants and I don't want anyone to suffer the losses that I have because of that stupid volcano.

Tina

PS The picture is not of the ash cloud last night or this morning but of a previous ash cloud that floated behind my house.

Thumbnail by tbmontserrat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 5, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #7136903

An impressive sight, Tina. May you not experience any losses or inconveniences from the Souffrière's latest tantrum.

Take care.
Sylvain.
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 5, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #7136913

OMG...Tina, be careful!...not only with plants but your health...
one of my GH got soot,(sp) from a kerosene heater one year.. I was out there "washing" all my plants...in a 96 ft. GH..lol lol lol

please take care..
Jody
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #7136960

No worries..being going through this a few years. I know enough when ash is falling you stay in the house til it quits and until it settles you wear a mask and goggles (to protect lungs and eyes). I look funny after it is over, I am outside with my mask and swimming goggles on, washing off plants.

It is and awesome sight though. As I am writing this it is rumbling. I will post some pictures if I can get some good one (it is overcast today)

Tina
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 5, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7137264

I want to see a pic of all but the one of you in a mask and swimming goggles on, that would be a hoot...lol lol lol
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7137275

yeah my DH wanted to take pictures of that and was threatened with his life so no pictures of that. lol

Picture of this Mornings event

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7137276

Another

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7137279

As I said it is an overcast day but you can tell the ash cloud from the regular clouds.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7137285

I will be thinking of you, Tina, and hope all continues to be safe for all you folks over there.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7137343

Thanks Jenn.

A series of pictures of a pyroclastic flow I took last year. The first time I was able to get a close up (at a safe distance). A pyroclastic flow is an avalanche of volcanic debris, and extremely hot gases. The series shows how it starts and spreads out. That is why it is so dangerous you don't know which way it will go. Our volcano does not have lava flows, the lava is hardened into a dome as the dome breaks off it creates pyroclastic flows and ash columns. (thought I would throw in a little education).

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7137355

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #7137358

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #7137360

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7137361

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 5, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7137705

Best of hopes to you Tina.

I remember that it wasn't too long ago that Montserrat was evacuated because of the volcano.
If conditions do get bad, please don't worry about the plants, and take care of yourself.

Aloha, Dave
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #7137718

Fascinating and frightening. Those are incredible pictures and I went to google earth and wiki to learn more about your island. What a difficult recent history it's had, hurricane Hugo and then the eruption destroying the capitol. I was fascinated by the pictures of the island as well. I haven't been to the southeastern Caribbean and it is so different than the northwestern where we are. Gorgeous but with volcanic mountains and steep cliffs. The water and the beaches are different as well. I have a friend who lives and works in the Turks and I keep saying I will go and visit her, I really need to do that :)
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 6, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7139119

Thanks Dave..my philosophy is if it is my life or the plants..plants will grow back or or re-plant & will grow..Me I would just be planted so if it is bad enough I am out of here LOL.
It is just venting, nothing to worry about right now except the "fall out" if the winds are blowing in the wrong direction.

extranjera..Yes, Montserrat has had a very difficult time in the last 20 years but it will survive. The volcano will quit one of these days or at least everyone hopes so. We are in the process of building a new capital on the northern part of the island it is at Little Bay. The Northern part of the island is perfectly safe.The islands in the Eastern Caribbean are all quite beautiful,.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7139346

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of the pyroclastic flow: absolutely stunning. Fascinating, as Mr. Spok would interject.

Pyroclastic flows are so fast, so unpredictable and deadly. Many volcanologists have been lost to pyroclastic flows. Admittedly, being a volcanologists is not an armchair job. They do take huge risks and some pay the ultimate price for their bravado. Please be careful.

Thanks for sharing all this with us.
Sylvain.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 6, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #7139611

Thanks Tina, please be careful.

Volcanoes are to be respected when they act up.

Here is an old photo of Pele (Kilauea) taking the town of Kalapana, Puna District, on Hawai'i Island in 1990.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 6, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #7140079

Great picture, Volcanoes must love to wipe out cities and villages. Plymouth (our old capital) has slowly been buried over the years. It is heartbreaking to see pictures of it before and visit now, 3 story buildings are buried to the roof in volcanic ash and debris. 12,000 people used to live in Plymouth, now there is none. Everyone was evacuated. It is so sad when you hear stories from people who had homes and businesses there. It is like what a flood can do the difference is with a flood you can rebuild with a volcano the land is lost because now you are in the path where it will continue to flow year after year.

A picture of part of Plymouth now.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 6, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #7140085

Hi Sylvain..That is one job I would not want not only because of the dangers posed by the volcano but by the public when you have to make the call to evacuate people from their homes for months. One of the evacuations we were in last 9 months, I hated the Montserrat Observatories Scientist during that time, they would not let me go home. I know it was for my safety but I still hated them. LOL.

Tina
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 6, 2009
6:21 AM

Post #7140122

one year we had straight line winds..(wind speeds close to a tornado)..it took out a greenhouse and seed house and took the roof off of another seed house...the GH rolled into our box truck and took that out...

but at the same time people in the north was flooded out!!! everyone told me I had a great attitude about my GH's!..I told them how can I even complain about my GH's when so many people have lost much more then me...homes,jobs and even life...

I guess what I'm trying to say...when you think you have it bad...turn on the news!! pretty soon things get VERY CLEAR on how lucky you really are!

please Tina be safe...

Jody
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #7142588

I want to thank everyone for their concern.
The ash venting has been extremely vigorous today with an event about every 2 hours. 1 event this morning went to 20,000ft and another 15,000ft. We are still being blessed with winds taking the ash out to sea and not over inhabited areas. There has been no explosive events or any pyroclastic flows associated with these events so no dangers at this time.

Just to let you know if the situation becomes dangerous to us, we will evacuate. I have started digging up a few of my favorite plants and putting them in pots so if the ashing starts I can move them under cover so I do not lose them. I do not want to lose all my plants as I did in the 2006 dome collapse and the months that followed.

Tina
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 7, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #7142638

If things don't go as planned..and if you can get plants from USA.. I have a bunch of tropicals...so when thing settle down and you and yours are safe..PLEASE If I can replace any thing..just ask...

take care, Jody
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7142988

Thank you so much for the offer Jody.
I have learned over the years which plants are "ash hardy", They will stay in the ground but the ones that are not, I have been digging them up (At least the ones I am able) and the ones that I can't dig up because they are too established or to big, I am taking cuttings so if they do not survive I will have some anyway,. All the seedlings I have will go into our guest house, it has plenty of room and is very bright. That is where all the potted plants go for this and hurricanes. Been through this quite a bit and know the drill LOL.
After the 2006 ashing I learned what will take the ash so after that most of the plants I have in the ground will survive. The volcano has been so quiet that I started planting other things I am not so sure about (that will teach me).
But I really do appreciate the offer, it is very kind of you.

Tina
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 7, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #7143018

O.K. just keep us posted...
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7143031

I will
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #7143139

Wow, amazing photo's! Scary and interesting at the same time. Living in a Hurricane area is scary enough but I think I will stick with them ... I just couldn't handle earthquakes, volcano's or Tsunamis.

Thanks for sharing your great photo's ... Stay safe!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #7143828

There was some haze yesterday in the Virgin Islands. They say most of the ash is going straight east, over the sea.

A Montserrat volcano website,

http://www.mvo.ms/

Several years ago we got a lot of ash, everything was gray and gritty, then it rained and washed it off the plants, but where it collected, it turned to cement(sort of, not real cement) Weeks before traces were gone.

Thanks for posting, Tina.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 7, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7145004

The ash plumes have been going west, out to sea. As I have said we have been blessed that the winds have been in our favor, keeping the ash in uninhabited areas

I know about the ash turning to cement...imagine a foot of the stuff getting wet and drying. That is why it is so important to get your roof cleaned off as soon as possible, otherwise there is the risk of it caving in from the weight. Here on Montserrat we prepare for ash fall, today I have been make sure there is no tall grass, tree limbs, piles of leaves, etc that will block the ash from washing away. A good pressure washer is a must, I have checked ours to make sure it works properly. The generator is working, ash shorts out transformers. I have the plastic ready to put in the windows, ash gets in every itty bitty space and into the house, it is horrible. Potted plants are ready to be moved under cover. Bag is packed in case of an emergency evacuation.

The last event we had was around midnight last night. So far today there has not been anything or at least nothing that could be seen. The MVO said there was evidence of 2 small pyroclastic flows yesterday, not good. The MVO helicopter has been flying around the volcano all day, so they will be able to tell us more later this evening.

Tina
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 8, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #7146215

Yes, the grittiest of gritty!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7146254

Just noticed this thread--wow, what a pain and scary, too! When my ex and I were stationed in Honolulu, we lived in a military housing reservation built on an extinct volcano. I sometimes wondered how long it had been extinct, and hoped it never came back to life, lol.
My ex had family in the Philippines, and they told us about having to wear masks if they went outside when the local volcano spewed ash. Yuk!
Please stay safe!
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #7150668

Good Morning

This morning the volcano sent up an ash cloud. The winds were blowing in the wrong direction. It sent the ash cloud to the North-Northwest. Ash is falling of most of the inhabited areas on Montserrat. I did not get a lot but other areas are reporting up to an inch.

Islands to the north and northwest of Montserrat will most likely get some fall out. Nevis and St. Kitts will probably get some within the next couple of hours.

Sorry, Molamola but it looks like you will get some ash later. Let me know if it makes it that far.

Take Care
Tina
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 9, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7150782

your nerves must be shot...please take care...
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7150792

Not really, been busy washing off plants. This ashing was not to bad, we were on the edge.But our Volcano observatory got hit pretty good.

Take Care
Tina

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #7150795

MVO being covered in ash.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #7150799

Pretty thick in this one

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #7150821

An inch! Bummer! Poor you and your once-beautiful Island. I heard that there was such a good recording studio there that musicians visited, even the Beatles.

Once, but still beautiful Island. Your photo of Plymouth is spooky! And right now, 9 am, it's not real clear here, but I'll let you know what we get. Ugh, dirty car again! (O-Poor-Me haha)
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 9, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #7150860

Molamola

It rained last night and early this morning so the ash is sticking to everything. Where I live did not get very much at all. Just enough to make a mess.

Got the house shut up in time so it did not get into the house. Wanna talk dirty cars LOL

The music studio was Air Studios, it was pretty famous. The video for the song " Every Little thing She does is Magic" by the Police was shot at Air Studio and in Montserrat. You should check it out on YouTube.

Tina
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2009
5:21 AM

Post #7160158

Just an update

The volcano is becoming more active. The ash venting has lasted mot of the day. The winds have switched direction so none is coming to my house (thank you Lord). The pyroclastic flows have increased and on the south side there is more dome pushing up which means lava is reaching the surface. Not good because if this keeps up we will be evacuated.
I am adding a couple of new pictures from today's event.

Take Care
Tina

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #7160161

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
10:16 AM

Post #7160366

Tina, my prayers are with you. Be careful. Hide with your plants.

Hap
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #7161200

Oh Tina, I will be thinking of you and hoping that it subsides. No matter how often you've had to do this it must still be frightening. I hope the mountain returns to slumber soon.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #7161291

How very frightening - good thoughts being sent your way, keep us posted.

Jenn
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7161741

Is this what you see from your house, or do you go someplace to get these amazing and so very uncomfortable photos?

Hoping the best for you.

Melissa
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

October 12, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7161879

OH MY Gawd...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a Hawaii resident we have our own volcano on the Big Island Of Hawaii. It is about 300 miles from where i live on the island of Kaua`i. However, when the winds blow the wrong way we do get the volcanic smog generated by volcanism of the Big Island. About 2 years ago a new vent open that is releasing copious amounts hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide and who knows what else.

As a teen i read the story of Mount Pel�e and what happened on Martinique.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7162336

Oh, how I do enjoy this thread and the testimonials we get. Thank you all for sharing this with us and completing our education.

I lived in Montréal, Québec, Canada for 50 years before moving to Florida 4 years ago. We had no volcanoes in Montreal. The 737-foot "mountain" that sits in the middle of the island of Montreal is rumored by some geologists to be an extinct volcano. But you know how it is. For one erudite that claims that the mountain is indeed an extinct volcano, you can find at least 2 more equally as erudite scholars that will swear on a stack of sacred texts that it isn't. So, the mistery remains whole and the mountain has never shown any sign of activity as far as anyone can remember.

I remember when Mount St.Helens blew up. About 4 or 5 days after the event, a cloud of volcanic ash obscured the sky in Montreal, turning day into dusk for 48 hours. We were warned to wait until the ash had finished falling before rinsing our cars off. Anyone who dusted their car needed a new paint job. That stuff is as light as the ashes from my cigars, sticky and gritty.

And then another year, there was Mount Pinatubo (spelling?) in the Philippines that spewed a cloud of ash into high altitudes. That thin cloud of ash circled the globe for a year or two, wreaking havoc with people trying to photograph astronomical events with their telescopes.

What powerful forces are unleashed in volcanoes! To everyone who lives anywhere where their activity is felt one way or another, keep safe.
Sylvain.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #7162405

There's an undersea volcano in the southern Caribbean called "Kick-em-Jenny" the top is still (???) 500 feet under the surface, but it rumbles and grunts every so often. Off the coast of Grenada.

Nobody knew it was there until it vented steam and ash in 1939.

Funny name, hey?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #7162559

Hey, Sylvain. Why hasn't this been in our news? It's not as far away as the fires in CA.

cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7162672

tbmonserrat I have been looking for anyone in my area, I am next door, antigua and have been here long enough to have seen your lovely island before the devastation. Strange thing is on the news just a couple of weeks ago it said the volcano had gone dormant, just proves not to believe everything one hears on the news or in the papers!

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 13, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7162859

Here is Kilauea dumping lava into the sea in Puna. The County of Hawai'i won't allow folks to get very near it.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7162975

I am so mad at myself for not going to see it when I was stationed in Honolulu! I hope I get the chance to go someday.
Very scary pics, tb. I'm praying that you stay safe.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #7163538

Sorry for not getting back sooner! The volcano was really active yesterday. I have been cleaning ash and moving plants, plus cleaning them off. It seems to be never ending. So goes life on the island, price of paradise.

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers, they are appreciated.

Melissa: Most of the pictures are taken from a spot at the top of my property ( my house was built on a mountain) I am about 8 kilometers (that is guessing, my be a little more) from the base of the volcano. Some of the pictures are taken from the back roof of my house (it is almost flat and easy to get up, almost like an observation deck).

d_thomcat; Sometimes the gases that the volcano puts off are so bad' it is nauseating. It is so nasty smelling. You get used to it after a while but...

Sylvain; That is so interesting. I remember Mt. St. Helen, I lived in Texas at the time, We got ash from it for a few days.

Cocoloba; Hey neighbor! It seemed like it was going to sleep, 0 activity. The day before the activity started there was no activity at all, woke up the next morning to ash. Then it just came to life. Most of the time it spits ash for an hour or 2 then quits for the rest of the day maybe spitting some more in the evening. Yesterday it was continuous all day plus today. We were so hoping it was going to sleep but I guess not.
I did not move here until after the eruption started, but the before pictures I have seen the island was amazingly beautiful. It is sad that the rain forest was destroyed by the volcano.

Dave; I went to see Kilauea when we were in Hawaii, the closest we could get was 5 miles. I was fascinated by one area the lava had hardened but you could still see some of the highway. We did take a helicopter tour, I have pictures but not on my computer, it was so amazing.

Thanks again everyone, I will stay safe. When they tell me to evacuate I am out of here. So far the new dome extrusions are on the south side so not danger here at the moment. The pyroclastic flows are of low energy and small. If it gets to the point it poses a danger our government will evacuate.

Take Care
Tina

A few more pictures, I tried to get a picture of the dome glowing at night but I can't figure out how to set my camera so that the shutter stays open longer for more exposure.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #7164100

Can't believe that there is none of this on our news in S. FL.

Hugs.

Hap
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7164462

Just found this thread. We just returned from a trip to the Gulf Coast that took the direct hit of Katrina. Still very sad. Nature can be a vicious task master.

Will be praying for you, Tina, and others that are affected by this event.

Christi

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7164469

How did it look, Christi? We don't hear about that anymore either.

Hap
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #7164508

Very sad. Maybe 2% has been rebuilt as opposed to the official reports of 98%. For miles and miles there is nothing but broken vegetation and evidence of where a home once stood. All of the eating establishments are brand new as is every current building. The people are wonderful, kind, resilient and doing their very best. Sad to see signs where a house had been with a sign saying "Please buy my property". It has taken 4 years to clear the debris. Even while all of this was happening, the news concentrated on New Orleans. They were only sideswiped by Katrina and the flooding was caused from poorly built levies.
It is some 90 miles from Gulfport, Miss. where we were staying. We talked to many who were also hit by the tornadoes that spin out of hurricanes. Record amounts of money was donated as well as the money funneled into FEMA. Little to no evidence of where it went.
We saw half dozen of the homes that Lowe's had designed and put together a kit house. Very tiny and definitely temporary. Goes without saying, the casino's are all up and running.

Another experience that shows just how blessed I am.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #7164560

Thanks for the honest update, as sad as it is.

Hap
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 14, 2009
9:47 AM

Post #7167225

Hurricane Hugo was as fierce here, destroyed the whole Island. And with lots of new people coming in, and many of the 'old' ones leaving, the island was pretty much rebuilt after four years. Disaster takes a long time to recover from. Sad, yes.

I'm trying to think of a house that's hurricane/tornado/and Earthquake proof!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #7167372

I think it's called a cave!

Opps, forgot earthquake. Guess there is nothing.

Hap
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 14, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7168663

Someone suggested a yurt. Oh, please!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #7169561

Well, that could be an option, molamola. If it's portable, so what if it's in a rumpled mess. Anyone living in one doesn't have much to lose. (Not knowing anyone living in one, I hope that I haven't offended.)

But, do they WiFi?

Hap
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7173664

Update

The volcano was really ashing yesterday and we had a tropical wave come through gave us a lot of much needed rain so I thought. Apparently the winds switched direction so at my house it was raining mud and acid rain.
I got up this morning and was absolutely heartbroken. I will show pictures cause I cry every time I try to describe it.

my alamanda bush with the pale salmon colored blooms.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #7173674

My plumbago There were 8 of them, they all look the same.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #7173683

my Red Ty plant, the others look just as bad.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #7173690

my white hibiscus

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7173706

The Plumerias

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #7173762

I had a lot of other plants get sever burn; the Tacoma stan, Madagascar Alamanda, tropical Hibiscus, morning glory bush, Alamanda, the mexican Oleander & the Oleander. The list goes on. I have been out today doing a hard prune on everything that got severely burned, cutting them to about 3in from the ground. I hope this helps them survive.
All my trees are dropping their leaves, they will come back and so will the other plants but it is still heartbreaking to see all my hard work fried.
Though, I was surprised at the plants that were not affected like the daylilies, hosta, desert rose, moss rose and a lot of my other tropicals. All my palms are a little burned but last time they were not affected.
All my potted plants I got under cover a few days ago so they are ok.

Next are the pictures of around the house.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #7173765

My pool

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #7173771

pool deck

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7174032

Oh Tina, how very heartbreaking! Hopefully all the plants you have cut back will survive...are you having to flush out the pots and the ground with fresh water too?

I can't imagine how your pool filter is going to be able to take care of all that ash and acid rain - I am so very sorry.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #7174047

I promise not to complain about the heat searing my plants again. Bless your heart.

Is the volcano still belching?

Christi
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7174178

Can you bring plants from Antigua? I have huge plumeria and in fact some other interesting plants...let me know if I can help to re-propgate your garden, would be more than happy, never had luck with plumbago though...
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #7174309

Oh ouch! I'm so sorry. That is a heartbreak. I know, it will grow back but it is so hard to see.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 16, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #7174404

Tina, are you getting yourself out of there, and breathing clean air!
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #7174562

Thanks All The plants will survive they always do but it is so hard to cut them down. Wtupid volcano!!!!!!!!

Jenn - All but a few of my potted plants are undercover and not affected. The ones I left out don't seem to mind the ash or acid rain. It has never damaged them. But I still dig out the ash and wash them really good. We never run the ash through the filter we vacuum it straight out of the pool, I just throw the pool hose over the side of the wall and gravity pulls the water through creating the suction so it never goes through the filter.

Christi - Yes plus doing a few other things. lol. How is the weather in Texas. Before we moved here I lived in Arlington. Off of I20. Our most of our kids live in Arlington.

Cocoloba - Thank You so much for the offer. My Plumerias will be ok. They usually drop their leaves but they have always come back. I would put the 2 by the pool under cover but the pots they are in weigh to much..their concrete. I will have to let you know the next time I am in Antigua I would love to see all your plants. I make a day trip of there 2 or 3 times a year.

Dave - No Worries Mon, This only happens when a tropical wave comes through, the winds come from the south-southeast and blows the stuff over my house. When the winds are blowing in that direction I stay in my shut up house & don't want to breath the stuff. If I have to work in it I wear a mask & goggles. The gases are not at a dangerous level. When the upper level ash mixes with rain it creates the acid rain, I will not go out in it, you should see what it did to my leather jacket (when we first got here). Anyway 98% of the time all this mess stays a good distance away from my house, that other 2% I find thing to do in the house under the winds switch back and they go in another direction.

Extranjera - Yes it is heartbreaking and hard. Today a friend came over and finish cutting everything back because it was getting to me. I probably looked really silly out there cutting plants with my mask and goggles crying like a baby. But he is a fellow gardener and understands.

Take Care
Tina

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #7174727

Such devastation! I was heartbroken when a white bird of paradise I planted 6 months ago got some fungus that finally killed it. I will replant another one in memory of your losses.

Keep on digging.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #7174788

Good Morning and am hoping things will be better today.

How often does this happen?

Is it really worth living there? Bet your kids wouldn't mind if you came back!

Hap
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #7175158

I live less than 20 miles from The Parks in Arlington. You know exactly what I am speaking about when I say heat. I'm such a wimp only one episode of ash and I would be on a plane. Easy to see my lack of adventure, we have lived in the same house since Feb. 1967. Only thing about it or the lot that is the same is the address. Have always admired those with courage to move to different parts of the world. Still thinking of you and Katiebear with the hurricanes.

We are cleaning out the little 8X6 greenhouse and the tool barn today to put the tropicals inside. Supposed to be in the 40's by tomorrow night. As you know, we have summer and winter. No transitional seasons in Texas.

Christi

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7175435

Hi, everyone.

A cold front is expected to move over Florida today. Temperatures will plumett in the low 70s. We'll keep an extra blanket at the foot of the bed, just in case.

Sylvain.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7175889

Sylvain, please send that cold front on down to the Yucatan. I could use a little relief from the heat right now. It is October and we are all ready for lower temps and humidity. It's been very, very hot and humid all this past week with no rain to cool it down. I'm watering every day and if I forget then things start wilting. I'd like a bit of a break from that as well.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 17, 2009
6:22 AM

Post #7178583

Hello everyone,
i haven't been on this thread for a while, and first of all i want to say how sorry i am about your garden Tina. it is heartbreaking to see all the hours of work and time you put into your garden go to waste. i hope most of the plants grow back.
we don't have any volcanoes here at all, thank goodness! they sound scary to me. we do get cyclones, one hit us hard about two years ago, all that was left of my garden was sticks, no leaves. we have had an earthquake or two here before, but not dangerous ones. Tsunamis are probably a risk, though Madagascar does shield us quite a bit.
i hope everything works out for all of you.
Isaac

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2009
7:02 AM

Post #7178592

Hi Isaac.

If you read your last post carefully, you can see that you have started a long list of 'ails' that we have on this earth. We can either face them and do soething about them or turn our backs so they can conquer. I like the first option better, but you have to make yourself strong, and that is always a good thing. Strong hearts/backs/minds'souls/ and even strong love will conquer all. It also infectous to others and will make them rally in a good cause. You seen to be a leader in face of disaster and God will bless you for it. Just keep the faith.

Ol' Granny Hap

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 17, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #7179424

Thanks Hap,
this world certainly has a lot of ails. it just seems to be getting worse. i am thankful there is more to life than just this world!
Isaac

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7179785

Interesting...
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #7180511

Hi Everyone

Was not able to get on yesterday. The volcano was really active yesterday. The ash was continuous. I did not see the sun yesterday except when I went north to get groceries and take care of some other business. It was a very depressing day. Worked all day (in between ashings) digging things up and getting them undercover. Most of my trees are bare which in turn is hurting my shade plants. What a bummer.

But...today was a good day. The volcano calmed down last night and stayed that way all day!!!!!!!! I was able to get tarps up over the shade plants and potted up some more plants, get some of the dead leaves raked up and cut the rest of my plants to the ground. I got to do all this work in the sunshine and no ash (well, except the ash falling out of the trees when a breeze came along). Plus, we got a nice ash free rain lasted about 20 minutes but it was a cleansing rain.

What made it a really good day was while I was walking around assessing the gardens lo and behold my Pride of Barbados the pink one, not a leaf on it, looking deader then a door knob was starting to bloom I have waited 3 years for this thing to bloom, it is one lone bloom but it was there just the same. At a time when I needed it most, it bloomed. I guess that is God's way of telling me everything is going to be ok. Though after the way I was jumping up and down, looking like a total fool, I am not so sure my DH thinks I am ok. I did not care that bloom was like the tree say " I'm ok". It also made me look around, I found a few other plants with buds on them that were not damaged. Made my day. That is when the total fool in me came out and my DH came out..I was telling the volcano "You are not going to win, I am " and I was sticking my tongue out at it and doing a little "happy dance". DH face was comical, He was giving me that look you give someone that you are not sure of their mental state.

Hope tomorrow goes as well but the ash plume is still there just staying to the south so who knows.

Christi..I know the Parks Mall well. My daughter was a teen when lived in Arlington lol.

You are so right about never having a spring or fall. I was so tired of digging everything up in October and planting it all back in April. I wanted to be able to enjoy my tropical plants all year. So we moved here...and now I am digging up all my plants again LOL. Talk about irony!!!!!!

I just want everyone to know how much I appreciate your concern and your good thoughts. I have been going through this for years. Over the last 4 years I have learned what survives and what does not. Most of the plants I have are "ash hardy" the plants I have been digging up are ones that I am not sure about and Do Not want to lose so better safe then sorry. The plants are not doing so good because they were already stress because it has been very dry and hot, the hurricane season has been very quiet so we have not gotten the rains we normally do, My plants will survive and so will I.

I am posting some pictures of May 2006, it was the worst I have ever been through. It was my first volcanic experience and if I could have gotten on a plane I would have. It scare the "shoo-shoo" out of me. Of coarse all the pictures are the aftermath, during the event I was freaking out to much to take pictures.

May 2006
My daughter cleaning up

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7180521

DH & daughter walking own the driveway.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7180535

looking up the driveway

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #7180548

Ash everywhere you look

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7180559

No, this was not taken with B&W film

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7180576

The pool

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #7180580

More ash

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7180582

Omg, eeew...I would never have lasted there with my asthma.
I'm so glad you had some bud sightings to cheer you--wow, determined plants!
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 17, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7180592

This was taken about 3 or 4 weeks later. Everything is green again.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 18, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #7180611

KYWoods... LOL I remember just walking around and the only thing I could say was " Ewww gross"

Tina
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 18, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #7181048

OMG!! Incredible! Plus hurricanes... we get hit often by the hurricanes but I'm now very grateful that all the volcanoes are in another part of the country. It is amazing how quickly everything grows back after the big hurricanes, not a leaf in sight one day and a month later it is all green. I guess that is what happens after an ash fall too. But, oh my, what a mess.

I'm glad you had a bloom to cheer you and that you seem to be just doing what you can and not worrying about what you can't. Good for you.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #7181069

I just read about a hurricane gathering strength on the Pacific coast of Mexico--hope you're not in the danger zone, extranjera!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7181076

Oh my God, NO!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #7181126

Okay, just double checked...extranjera is on the other side of Mexico. The hurricane is still out at sea, and is heading toward the Baja coast, but not expected to make landfall until about Wednesday, when it may only be a category 2.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tropical_weather
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 18, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7181370

Need to start sending prayers for Katiebear she is near Baja.

Tina
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 18, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #7181444

Yes, we've had a wonderfully non-eventful hurricane season this year. But, Katiebear is dead in the sights of hurricane Rick. Most of the models have it turning east and hitting the southern portion of the Baja and the west coast of Mexico around Mazatlan. I hope the models are wrong, that often happens. Hurricane prediction is not very good in the long term - more than a day or two in advance. Let's hope they are wrong this time.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200920.html#a_topad
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #7181522

Yes, I just read her thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043535/
I'll be praying for her safety. They've had it rough over there!

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 18, 2009
9:24 AM

Post #7181733

i hope that hurricane misses katie, they have had a lot of trouble lately there.
glad you see some life coming back, tina!
Isaac

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7181859

Looking at those pictures of 2006 was really something. But the last one was the best,...the healing of the land. Between that and your little gift from God in the flower must be what keeps you going. I give you a lot of credit.

My gardens, thank God not my house, and the screening around the pool were toast after Wilma. After a week of dragging my garden out to the curb, I finally just collapsed on the ground sobbing thinking all was lost. Well, that was a good lesson for me, for my gardens are better than ever and the pool area is like a spa/country club without the "CAGE". Guess I was the one needing the cleansing.

Take care, my friend and keep looking for the flowers.

Hap
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #7183862

True, sometimes a storm is good for cleansing and renewing.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 19, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #7184574

That is what we need here a really good rain (with out the ash) to wash off all the trees and everything else. Maybe soon.

Hap.. In 2006 I did the same thing sat down and cried, I lost a lot of plants. Now I know what to do to help them survive. Every day and everything we go through in life is a learning experience.

Tina

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #7185414

Please God, please don't make me learn anything else!!

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #7186924

LOL, Hap!
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 19, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7187631

I have a friend who uses this line as his signature:

Oh no ... not another learning experience
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 20, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7188414

LOL Hap..I have said that waaaaaaaaaay more then once.

LOL extranjera..he has the right idea.

Tina
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 20, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7189760

as unpleasant as some experiences are, it is for our own good. at the time we just don't usually know it.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #7189990

That's for sure, Issac.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 20, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7190260

I agree Isaac, I think my lesson is not so much learning as teaching. We have a lot of "new" people in the area who have never been through this. Maybe I am suppose to help people know what to do and help them to not panic. I remember the first event I went through here is what I wrote after wards:

This was written about 2 weeks after the May 20, 2006 dome collapse

Well, it finally happened, Ol' Smokey blew his top. The dome collapsed on Saturday morning. It also came in the middle of a tropical downpour. It was a major mess. It was very scary, yet awesome at the same time. It came in 3 phases. Phase 1 was not so bad, it was yucky but it would have been easy to clean up. I remember think, "This is what all the fuss was about.. "Big deal" Boy was I in for a really big shock. Phase 2 was a little worse than the first one. The sky looked really weird. We were thinking ok this still is not to bad. Bill was taking it all in stride. Me? I was starting to panic a little because it was really gross and smelly and was turning everything brown. Not only that the water coming down the Bellham (right below us) was coming fast and hard. The whole episode seemed like it was never going to stop. Then we heard this rumble and loud exploding sound that I thought was thunder, I looked toward the volcano and above us and you could see it coming, this BIG BLACK cloud that was surrounding us. I was thinking OOOOHHH MMMYYY GGGGOOODD Then it hit, we got ashed, It was about 6 or 7 in the morning and looked like it was midnight. It went pitch black. You could see the ash swirling around you, but you could not see a foot in front of you. Then this black goo started coming off the roof. It was like thick melted chocolate that hardened as soon as it hit the ground. I had a squeegee and thought I would push it off the veranda as it came in, WRONG. I pushed the squeegee and it came to a dead stop as soon as I hit the black goo, then I almost fell into the stuff from the impact. That is when I came unglued, majorly. If I could have gotten on a plane at that moment I would have came back to Texas. It was sssoooooooo gross. Then the rocks came, they were hitting the house, it was like a Texas hail storm only worse. That is when I went into all out panic mode. You could hear the water coming harder. Bill was just sitting there calmly watching it all, then he had the NERVE to tell me to "calm down, it will be over soon" What is he nuts, does he not see what is happening? What a jerk (of course that is not what I was calling him at the time..use your imagination). You could not see nothing, it sounded like the water was coming at us, there was this black smelly goo coming off the roof onto the veranda and it was hardening as soon as it hit the ground, it sounded like someone was shooting at the house, not to mention the loud thundering noises coming from somewhere behind the house and he was telling me to calm down, I DON'T THINK SO. If there was a time to panic this was it! I thought I was in a war zone. I worked myself into an absolute, major, in your face, no denying Panic!!!

The ash cloud blew over (after what seemed like hours) and the sky cleared enough for us to see, that is when I was dumbstruck. What a mess. We watched boulders the size of Volkswagens skip across the rushing water, logs (and whole trees) were going by in the water. It was below us but never reached our property, Thank the Lord. What a mess. Yes, I sat down and cried. The whole scene looked like a black and white movie. It was so strange. It washed out our road. Walking around I was just speechless. I remember thinking a stupid thought " I think something major just happened". We got anywhere from 3inches to 1 foot of ash dumped on us. Not a leaf on the trees, all the plants were laid to the ground by the weight of the wet ash, some looked like they had melted, everything was grey and the smell was over whelming. The scene was over whelming. We would never get this cleaned up. Total destruction. So I just sat down and cried.
A friend called to make sure we were alright, she told me it will clean up and everything will get back to normal. Needless to say, I did not believe her.
When the first good rain comes (which is suppose to be this weekend) it will wash all the ash out of the trees, the property and off the roads. The clean up crew we hired has gotten most the property around the house (pool deck, patio, walkways, etc.) cleaned up. So by next week the house will be back to normal, and in a months time everything will be green again.
But the absolute best thing is; it was a complete collapse so that means NO MORE ASH! I can clean my house and it will stay clean! My kitchen will be clean, the living room will be clean, my bedroom will be clean, Danielle's room will be... Oh well you can't win them all. We will not have to worry about another dome building for a long time. Because it was a 100% collapse.

All in all, we came out pretty lucky. No one was hurt. It really could have been worse (or so that is what everyone tells me). Seeing this was my first volcano episode, I think it was bad enough.

Ya'll have a great day
Tina

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7190348

Tina,

What a story. Does it seem remotely amusing now? What I mean is you reaction vs your husbands? That is what always happens here and if I had a gun...

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 20, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #7190506

Hi.

Tina, you depict a horrific scene in the most rivetting way. Thanks ever so much for sharing this with us.

The same scenario would have played out at our house. My wife would have made herself sick during the event, whereas I would have taken it all in stride keeping my energy for the aftermat. That's the way the Canadian Coast Guard trained me. I am often thankful for that.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #7191105

I hope no Vietnam or other war vets live around there...can you imagine?
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

October 20, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #7191170

tb when I was watering last night I thought I smelled sulphur, but DH disagreed, did you have ashfall last night? If you want either the yellow or red pride of Barbados let me know and I will send seeds. do you ever come over to Antigua? I remember how your lovely island looked after hurricane Hugo, way worse, I know that does not really help you now, but it can always be worse!
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 21, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7191444

Hap - Yes I do find my reaction amusing now. Sure was not funny then.

Sylvain - sounds like my house, any event I am the one that gets overly excited and my DH is the one that get under excited (in my opinion) LOL. Military trained him that away. He was in the Navy for 30 years plus (much worse in my opinion) he is a Doctor of Psychology. He always tries to analyze me when I am in a full blown panic, really not good for his health.

KYWoods - He is a Vietnam Vet, he is Navy but was a Medic with the Marine Corp. while in Vietnam.

cocoloba - You probably did smell sulfur last night, the volcano was steaming and gassing all night. So you can tell DH he was wrong and YOU were right HaHa. Believe me I know that all this could be a lot worse, I go over and look at Plymouth to remember how much worse it could be.
Thanks for the offer of the seeds, I have the yellow, red, orange and pink. I think they are so pretty. They look dead right now but they will come back. My plumeria has already gotten new leaves.
I come to Antigua once or twice a year, if we get the ferry it will be more then that. Winair is to unreliable and too expensive, I do shopping there and trying to get stuff on the little plane is too much of a hassle. I have to worry about weight limits which is a pain.

Have a Good Night
Tina

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 21, 2009
7:44 AM

Post #7192628

Tina, i couldn't help but smile, it is quite amusing. but i can just imagine how scary it must have been. i would have paniced as well, so don't feel bad. i have a tendency to overreact. we have a saying here, 'i make an elephant out of an ant.'
our safety isn't garaunteed no matter where we live, any place has its dangers. i hope you stay safe there, and that your garden recovers well.
Isaac
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 21, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7193213

Isaac

My saying is "making a mountain out of a mole hill". Thought I will say this for myself, medical emergencies I stay calm and do real well in assessing the situation and doing what needs to be done. But put me in a nature disaster and I panic, my DH says it is because I do not have control of what happens, which is true. If I can control the situation I am ok. Any situation that I do not know the outcome I panic.

My gardens a going to be fine, in fact I have a lot of things that are planted in the wrong place so I am taking this time to move things around. DH hates when I do this cause he is the one that usually has to do the digging and I can blame him if something does not come back, my reasoning is he dug it up wrong. LOL Keeps me from feeling guilty for not leaving it were it was (It is a woman thing LOL)

Have a great day
Tina

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7193623

Hi Tina, I am what a lot of DGers call a "lurker". I have followed your thread from the beginning, and think it all boils down to trade-offs...every place has its dangers and drawbacks, but it is what that place we choose to stay in has to offer to our heart and soul that makes it worth the trials and tribulations.

As a child, my family moved to extreme south Louisiana from northern Illinois...culture shock to say the least...my Mom was never happy living here with the heat, humidity, hurricanes and no real winter and when I was 19, my folks moved back up north. I have lived here in south La for over 50 years now...even with the heat, humidity and hurricanes, there is no place like home...grin

Guess the old adage is true, every rose has its' thorn...but the beauty and fragrance make up for the thorns.

Best Regards and good thoughts to you and yours,
Jean/Moon
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 21, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7193925

Hi Jean
You are soooo right. Even with the volcano I feel we made the right choice in moving. This island gets to your heart very quickly. I do not think I could move back to the States, my soul belongs here.
I love living here. I loved Texas but the weather was getting to me( bad knees) and the winters in Texas was painful. Now, I only have trouble when I overwork myself but the pain is manageable.
This island has it's problems but the pluses far out weigh the minuses. As you said there is no place like home

Take Care
Tina

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7193931

You too, Tina. Even volcanoes have to take a rest sooner or later...grin

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 21, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7193978

There you go Tina! Live for those good days in Paradise.

Don't let a volcano chase you away!
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7197184

I have been living in Antigua for 26 years (from UK) and feel much the same as you do, I love living in Antigua. Glad you have all the Pride colours, let me know if you are looking for other seeds. I do hope the ferry gets re-established, that would be much easier for you to shop and get the goods back easily.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #7198024

Once in a while, when I need a bit of a break from the tribulations life throws my way, I go to YouTube to find some song to soothe the stormy waves upon which we sail. Today, I invite you to take 4 or 5 minutes to watch, as did I, the extremely talented Loreena McKennitt singing this somewhat abbreviated version of "The Lady Of Shalott", a wondrous poem by Lord Alfred Tennyson. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_Tn-HxULM

I bid you all peace.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #7198282

I did, Sylvain. She looks like a younger Gail. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 23, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #7198649

Hi Everyone

Dave - I always live for the joys I find on island, the rest is learning experiences, LOL. The volcano is to be respected but not feared. You can't live in a situation if you are in constant fear of it, I would not want to live that way.

Sylvain - Enjoyed it very much, Thank You!

cocoloba - They are in talks with a company and if all goes well we should have a ferry but the first of the year. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that it happens. I am on the first ferry over to get gardening supplies!!!!!! Customs is going to think I am opening a garden center. LOL

Where is the best garden center in Antigua? Do they have a Home Depot? I need GOOD fertilizer, pots, etc. The place where we get our gardening stuff from, bless his heart, he tries but he can't keep enough stuff on hand and what he does get goes so fast. There is no variety at all. He tries to keep prices reasonable but I still choke on some of the prices.

Has Antigua been getting ash? The winds shifted, blowing ash to the NE and NW.

Take Care
Tina
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 23, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #7198859

I guess you get used to situations that you live with when you understand the risks. With cyclones here I don't really feel threatened. I have access to all the data on the internet that the TCWC's use in monitoring and predicting their tracks. Volcanos are an unknown to me. I don't know how long it'd take me to get used to living near one, if ever. There seems to be an "un-predictability" about them. And just the thought of a pyroclastic flow lapping at my backside while I flee across the landscape somehow lacks that certain appeal.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #7199721

Hurricanes with flooding or just flooding (Florida is flat and at see level here) are the baddies and my kids think that I crazy to stay. They forget about their 5-6 weeks of gray skies at a time, (summer or winter), their 10 below zero, the 4 feet of snow, the ice storms that leave them without power for a couple of weeks. Now that's a GIVEN----EVERY Year. Hurricanes are once in a while. And WHO do YOU think are the crazies?

Sunshine Happy_1, here, just smiling away!
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 23, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #7199974

hap..I agree...I graduated in MN...one year of that and I was on the first greyhound bus going west...lol...don't laugh but I dated the milk man...lol we took his simi truck out on a lake and went Ice fishing...thats cold...
so today I live in AL...and complain about the cold here...lol lol lol

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7200150

Frogs, you're a brave one to go out on to the ice no matter how cold it's been.

Hap
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 23, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #7200245

have you seen movies that has frozen lakes in it? the sound they make is not made up...they creak just like that...but after a few times going out...you get use to it...not saying being older I would go out again...heck...I would NEVER be in MN in the winter again...lol lol lol lol

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7200260

My boys live in Rochester, NY and my DD in Chicago. I'm doomed.
froghollowlady
Letohatchee, AL

October 23, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #7200316

Just visit in July...lol lol lol lol

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7200407

Christmas in July? But I go there then too. I'm just traveling fool.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 23, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7200415

That's a mental image I would rather not envision: me running away from a pyroclastic flow. Although my chances would be slim, I'd rather turn around, face the flow and be taken out yelling: "Bring it on!". The outcome would be the same. It's not dying that is important, it's HOW you die. Que sera, sera, but I want to meet my end face on and raging.

Let's hope volcanoes, storm, hurricanes, earthquakes take a bit of a break for a while.

Sylvain.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 24, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #7204592

Ya'll are tooooo funny LOL. Thanks I needed this, I have been cleaning ash for 12 hours, I needed a laugh.

FYI - Pyroclastic flows are not the same as lava flows. A lava flow you can out run but a pyroclastic flow travels at a minimum of 150 to 200 mph. It is ash, volcanic debris, large boulders and toxic gases, if it is "lapping at your backside" you might as well kiss your backside goodbye.

I would much rather deal with "Montserrat snow" then a frozen lake and real snow, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. LOL.

Tina

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #7204609

Boy, do they sound like fun!!

Hugs,

Nancy
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 24, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7204831

I know that Tina, that's why I said pyroclastic flow.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 25, 2009

Post #7205095

Talking about earthquakes, there was one just to the north of us during the night, about 12:15 am today. Indonesia is the most seismically and volcanically active area on the planet and fortunately we're just out of that zone. Earthquakes in the Banda Sea (where this morning's happened) are the ones we feel mostly as tremors. There's hundreds every year but at most here only one or two are strong enough to be felt by people.

Last night I woke up with the whole house shaking and windows rattling. It seemed a bit surrealistic, I suppose just having woken up helped that feeling. It was the strongest I've ever felt but I assumed it was only the Banda Sea again. The house was rocking and it felt like there were massive pulses going through it. The house is steel framed so should be okay, although a couple of the pulses felt like they were trying to move parts of the house in different directions.

While it was happening (the weather bureau said it lasted 5 minutes with the most severe period being 1 to 2 minutes long) it made me think how terrifying it would be at the centre of a quake like this with bits of building falling down, power out, landslides, etc. It amazed me how long it lasted, and how long the violent part of it went. The previous one only lasted 2 minutes and felt less violent.

Reports are coming in of household items being damaged but so far none of structural building damage. Indonesia had a tsunami alert but that's been cancelled now.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 25, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #7205800

Tropicalbreeze - I figured you did, especially when you stated Pyroclastic flow, most people automatically say lava flow. Just stating it for those that do not know there is difference.

Wow, talk about a rude awakening! I hope everyone is ok.

Tina
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 25, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #7205828

Tina, nothing has been mentioned about injuries and it's not likely there would be any from this. The fault under the Banda Sea is very deep and it moves regularly so the stresses don't get to build up too much. Now, if we didn't get these for a few years then that would be the time to start worrying. They say this was a magnitude 7 quake.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #7206073

The bed here has shook a few times, (not from an earthquake!) but a REAL EARTHQUAKE!! OMG! I'd be talking to myself for a month!

Hap
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 25, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #7206107

Yes, thank you, Tina, i didn't know the difference.
i am glad that Tsunami alert was cancelled. when there is a tsunami out that way, we get some pretty big waves too, but usually not dangerous. we had an earthquake here about two years ago, and if i remember correctly it was also a magnitude 7. i slept right through it, snore! :-) the rest of my family woke up, but i am very deep sleeper.
Isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7206348

Our DIL is a scientist and is the head of the Seismic Center of the University of Oklahoma where they monitor earthquakes world wide. What is interesting to me is that the state of Oklahoma has regular earthquakes. I believe it was 1992 when they had one strong enough to do damage. I'm not the scientist, she is so, I can't describe to you the kind of fault they are on. The possibility for mass destruction is ever present.

Christi

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #7206421

Christi, That section of the country, including Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Arkansas, the whole Mississippi Valley, is right on top of the New Madrid Fault.. The worst earthquakes in recorded history in the US occurred in 1811 and 1812 in the Mississippi Valley. Fortunately, at that time the population was not nearly as dense, so injury was small. The tremors were felt all the way to South Carolina and areas north.

Central Louisiana has a series of Fault zone areas also. A few years back we heard a rumble rather like a big engine really close and heard our neighbor hollering (cussing) grin. Went out to see his entire vegetable garden gone save for a few tomato plants sticking out of the ground at odd angles. On further inspection, we noticed a 6 ft fence at the back of our house was in one area only 4 ft tall.

DH did some research and found that the entire Central and southeast portion of the US is riddled with small seismic faults.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7206640

She was interviewed on the Tulsa TV station last week and New Madrid was mentioned.
They reco"rd tremors every single day at her station but they are rarely strong enough to get any attention.

Just as an aside, she says if anyone ever tells you "they" can predict an earthquake, "they" are full of it. Possible only to know after the fact.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 25, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7206826

I'm from earthquake country (California) and I've been through several large ones in my life. I think when they talk about animals reacting before an earthquake it is just that they hear and feel it before we do. We had horses as a child and they would start to run before a quake but my dad always said that they are so in touch with the ground that they feel it before we do. It really freaks horses when the ground moves. Dogs probably hear that rumbly freight train sound at a lower decibel before we hear it.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7206945

It freaks horses out? Well, I'll tell ya pard, it wouldn't much for me either!!

Hap
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #7208742

I don't think we have a 'best' garden place, I have to go all over, but I think my favourite is Antigua Home and Farms on Redcliffe St., depends what you need, I work in Heritage Quay so if you send me a list of needs I would be happy to pick up for you leaving you more time to really see what you want, I live next door to a nursery so that is pretty cool, but when it comes to generals supplies I have to go to town. No Home Depot unfortunately, would die for one of those or maybe a Lowe's!
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 26, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #7211495

Thanks cocoloba, I may take you up on the offer.
One of the few things I miss about living here, No home depot or no Lowe's. I would settle for a good gardening supply store but oh well.
I envy you living next door to a nursery...I would be broke all the time. LOL

Just to update on the volcano... The activity has been letting up since the 23th. The pyroclastic flows have been minimal and the winds have shifted so no ash fall in any of the inhabited areas. I have gotten my place cleaned up and we have had some pretty good rains to wash all the trees. Keeping my fingers crossed that the activity continues to go lower and winds stay in our favor.

Take Care
Tina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7211531

Will cross my fingers for you as well. We are in a monsoon. Over 30 inches at my house in some 2 months. Still raining. 2 inches in less than 24 hours.

Christi

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7212146

We will be breaking heat records every day of this week until Sunday at least. Normally, the air conditionning gets a break at this time of year. We don't even dare think of shutting down. It can rest later

Take care,
Sylvain.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 28, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #7217292

how is everybody's weather now? i sure hope that volcano calms down, Tina. and i agree with you, if i lived next to a nursery, i wouldn't only be broke, i would be in debt! :-)
Isaac
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 28, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #7217800

Well, now I know where there are some business opportunities for me if I decide to go into the nursery business. As they say, it's "location ... location ... location!"

How did the elections go Isaac? Hope there's wasn't too much turmoil.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #7217944

Hello, everyone.

South Florida is currently experiencing above-normal temperatures and it will stay like that all week. We should be getting 90F (32C) or thereabouts all week. No snow tires required here. The air conditionning usually gets a break at this time of year but nay nay nay, not this year.

It's been a busy day here today: I had to go empty the condo's locker and connect the stove in preparation for its sale at the beginning of November, went to check on a friend's house to make sure everything was in order in their absence, bought rodents for the snake, repotted some orchids, fed the fish, fed the snake, stopped at the post office, stopped at the grocery store, planted some agaves that had been sitting there patiently awaiting my attention, etc. I am pooped and it's only 5:45.

Tonight's dinner is an easy one: rotisserie chicken with ravioli and pesto. I purchased a ready-cooked chicken with purchased frozen ravioli and purchased pesto. I don't have the Martha syndrome; never had it. She would have incubated the egg, raised the chicken, grown the wheat for the ravioli and grown the basil and pine nuts for the pesto! You can make a really nice dinner from stuff you purchase ready to eat. This bear's gotta have a break and a shortcut once in a while.

Oh, and I sold a house today! WooHoo!

Take care, all
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #7218060

Wooo hoooo!!!! Good for you Pu'ole. I'm all for shortcuts but the man I have lived with for 48 1/2 years has taken over the kitchen and even makes his spice mixtures from scratch.
If he didn't cook, I would live on Cheddar cheese, apples, cracker and cold cereal. Too much work for such a short time and it comes around 3 times a day. I'd rather be in the garden. We are expecting at least one night with the low of 42 so we got the 3 citrus trees along with about 25 other giant pots inside today. There are oranges and Key limes on two of the three. The lemon didn't even bloom this year. The hibiscus is huge and I may trim it into a standard in order to have room to put it inside. Cloudy with flash flood warnings. It has rained 30 out of the last 40 days. If it had continued without a break, well, let's just say I was checking out boats.

Guess tomorrow I will iron. yuk

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #7218088

Ironing? Retro vade Satanas.

Most everything we own is permanent press. I am too precise when I decide to iron. One of the haute couture shirts I have made takes 20 minutes to press. I look mawwwvelous in my couture shirts. Vanity is not pretty, but I am. LOL.

Take care.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #7218092

That I already know and fully agree.

PK

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #7218127

You're a good friend, Princess. You made my day.

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #7218334

You often bring me back from the brink, Sylvain.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #7219105

Hi All

Volcano is still at low activity. t only put out one small "poof" today and it went to the west behind my house. I managed to repot some of the DR's and the dragon's blood tree. Hopefully the volcano will go quiet again. My dragon's blood has outgrown all my pots so it needs to go into the ground.

Until DH had his accident he did all the cooking. I used to but he kept telling me how to do it better so I gave the job to him. I refused to cook any more so he either cooked or starved. LOL. Now I am back to cooking and he DOES NOT tell me how to do it. I guess he learned, LOL.

I hate ironing..if it has to be ironed I don not want it!!!!!!!!

Wow, Christi if it does not stop raining, instead of a boat maybe you better invest in an ark. I did not know ya'll were getting all that rain. My kids never tell me nothing.

Take Care
Tina

Congratulations Sylvain on the sale of the house. Looking good and selling a house..doesn't get better then that.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2009
9:04 AM

Post #7219565

I was so glad to read about the volcano calming down for a bit there. Maybe it will take a rest. Let us all channel positive thoughts towards Monserrat.

Speaking of positive thinking... Here is an exercise for you out there. I do this every morning. Aside from showering, shaving and brushing my teeth, I don't really have a beauty regimen. Most men don't. However, I am about to divulge an important process here. Do yourselves a favor and try it: it doesn't hurt, noone has to know and best of all, it's free. Very few women can really do it. My friend Sherolyn has been at it for the better part of 20 years. My friend Lyne can't even say it out loud. Men will master it after 3 or 4 different attempts, sometimes sooner than that.

No matter what your age or physical condition, stand naked in front of a full-length mirror after a shower . Strike a classical greek statue's pose and hold it. Admire your figure from top to bottom and say out loud: YOU are gorgeous.

How did that sound? Did you believe that? Never mind that your toenails could use clipping or your hair is wet and maybe gravity is beginning to take its toll in places. That's totally irrelevant. Repeat it in various tones and inflections until you KNOW you are truly gorgeous. This should be practiced every day of a person's life. Try it and keep at it daily until you know that you truly are gorgeous and looking mawwwvelous, da'ling.

If you don't know for a fact deep inside yourself that you are gorgeous and hold on to that firm belief, others will sense it and treat you as if you were leftover chopped liver. I know when people don't see themselves as gorgeous. I pity them sincerely. Caveat: mastering this exercise may cause people around you to become envious, or even jealous of you: oafs!

Don't thank me, I've done this all my life because after all, I truly am gorgeous all the way to the core. Now off to the shower and your full-length mirrors. Step lively, me hearties. D-mail me and let me know how you made out with the gorgeous exercise.

Take care, all. I'll go send them there positive vibes towards Monserrat.
Sylvain.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 29, 2009
9:12 AM

Post #7219569

I'ved only got a half length mirror, does that mean I'd only be half gorgeous?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2009
9:16 AM

Post #7219572

You're still gorgeous, you need to back away from the mirror a bit.

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of us all? Don't be surprised if it answers "Sylvain".

Respectfully,
Sylvain.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 29, 2009
9:29 AM

Post #7219579

I'll never get another mirror from you, they're all biased. ;O)

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #7219681

Mine broke!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #7219709

I didn't know mirrors could snicker...grin
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #7220022

We are ALL gorgeous. Made in the image of God according His perfect plan for each of us. Sylvain, I soooo wish you and Gail were my neighbors. What a great time we would have everyday.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #7220075

You are so right, Christie...the good Lord smiles on me...sometimes He bursts out laughing... and, if anyone thinks He doesn't have a sense of humor, they have never seen a Platypus...grin

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.duke.edu/~jch32/compsci4/webpages/webpages/Platypus_files/platypus4.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.duke.edu/~jch32/compsci4/webpages/webpages/Platypus.html&h=352&w=461&sz=168&tbnid=muKIlqkN1mNsGM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dplatypus%2Bpictures&usg=__TpngLS1SONSM3sTKEiYa_Sj_nYI=&ei=LJzpSuq7Hs_d8Qa16eGLDw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CA4Q9QEwAg
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #7220094

It has been my observation for much of my life that God definitely has a sense of humour or He could not put up with His creation.

Christi
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 29, 2009

Post #7220540

you guys! i really needed a good laugh, which i got when i read this thread! i have a slight malaria again, not too sick, just completely drained. but you guys' sense of humor has cheered me up! Sylvain, the stuff you come up with, is beyond my imagination, grin.
Christi, i really hope the rain lets up. flooding is not a nice thing, i know.
the elections were without much turmoil, i haven't heard the results yet, but i can guarantee you Frelimo won. Frelimo is the main party here, has a communist background and is very corrupt. a new party was begun this year, no idea what it is called. i certainly would like to hear if it made any impression at all. the other main party is Ranamo, but is hasn't won an election in years. probably won't ever. Mozambicans don't care what their politicians are like, they will just vote for the one who gives them shirts just before elections. you should see it, almost everybody are wearing their red Frelimo T-shirts.
Isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #7220568

Goodness, Isaac. Is there nothing to take for malaria. Shows how much I know, I thought it was almost eliminated a long time ago. Will pray for your return to good health. Probably has a lot to do with why you are so thin, maybe?

It is raining cats and dogs right now.

Christi

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7220642

As I remember, Isaac, tonic water was good for or good for keeping malaria away, or easing it or something. Check it out on google. If you were older I would recommend a gin and tonic. LOL

Hope you fell better soon.

Hap
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7220815

Isaac - I am sorry to hear you are not feeling very good. Make sure you get plenty of rest, you do not want it to get worse. You are in my prayers!

Sylvain - I don't do the you are gorgeous, mine is a little different (and it does not require being in the buff) I used to have a problem with self worth so every morning when I get up part of my routine I list off all the things I love about myself and what makes me special. It does work and it has always given me the courage to face the day and challenges head on. It is one of the reasons I can stand on my roof and yelling at the volcano, looking like a fool. Everyone else might think I am crazy but I know I am not and God knows I am not so what everyone else thinks does not matter. But of coarse if they start coming at me with that "little white coat" I might need to reconsider the last statement. LOL
Thank You for the positive thoughts and vibes.

themoonhowl, tropicalbreeze, & Hap - ya'll are so funny.

Christi- I am telling you, you better start building that ark taking plants aboard 2 by 2.

Ya'll have a great day! I know you made mine!
Tina

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7221057

Tina, I have great respect for someone with your courage. I have lived in the same house for almost 43 years. Probably will carry me out feet first. hahaha

Christi
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7221616

Christi - thank you but I am not sure it could be called courage..some days I am sure it is stupidity HAHAHA.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7221714

I'm definitely NOT a risk taker.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7221837

Isaac I know Malaria is still around, but there are things you can take, no?

Antigua was once called the most corrupt little country in the world, it drives me absolutley insane to live in such a wonderful place and know that the right thing to do is never done... we are red and blue, and unfortunately it is all important (but really not at all) oh for some good men and women in there!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 30, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #7222799

Isaac, I understand Frelimo have got themselves so well entrenched it's hard to imagine a time when they might not be there. Not having an effective opposition makes people cynical of the system and complacent. But the new party might just make enough people believe that change is not only possible, but might even be good.

I've had friends with malaria, usually one or two days and they came good. But I suppose it depends on which strain you have. Get well soon.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

October 31, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #7228312

Yes Frelimo get well soon!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2009
9:32 AM

Post #7229339

Tina, how goes the volcano? We kinda got side-tracked there for a bit. I hope it is on coffee break for a while.

Take care,
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #7229607

Sylvain, What are you doing up so early, early?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #7230675

Insomnia, sweetie... insomnia.

I was greeting the visitors to our orchid society's annual show and sale yesterday. I was on my feet all day, taking only about 15 minutes to have a quick sandwich and bottle of water before returning to my post at the entrance. I came home totally whipped. After supper, I fell asleep in my easy chair. Gail left me there when she went to bed. I woke at 11:30PM and dragged my sorry carcass to bed. At 3:30AM, I was fully awake, ready for the day to start. So, I repaired to the office, where I did email and data base management.

Take care,
Sylvain.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7231035

Just got our electricity back on, it has been out since Friday. We had a storm blow through here dumping a bunch of rain.
The winds have switched again so we got a little ash this afternoon. Was clean from all the rain but now *****sigh****. The activity has been low but not low enough to suit me LOL. No huge pyroclastic flows, most of those are staying on the southern side of the volcano (no one lives there), and the winds have stayed in our favor until today. The winds should sift back sometime tomorrow so I am really hoping that it keeps it's ash to itself until tomorrow.

I miss the Orchid shows, I used to go to them every time they had one in Dallas or Ft.Worth or any of the surrounding areas. Was broke by the time I left but oh well. DH used to hide any announcements about any flower shows or sales.

Take Care
Tina

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7231629

Glad you are doing OK.

I can understand your husband. But he's still a good guy, right?

Hap
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #7231717

Hi Hap

Yeah, we are ok. Just getting tired of cleaning up ash, I am at the point I am just making a path from point A to Point B and not worrying about the rest until it quits. LOL

He's a good guy as long as he is doing what I want him too, HEHEHEHE.

How are you?

Tina
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

November 2, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #7232568

Hello everyone,
sorry it took me so long to get back to you. while i was resting, i spied a thriller my mom bought, and i forgot to read it. so for the last two days that is what i have been doing. i am one of those people who are in another world when they get into a book. my family needs to get in my face and yell at me to get my attention... lol.
i am much better, just a bit tired. there are prevention medications you can take for malaria, but none are safe for long-term. each one claims that it has no side-effects, but i have gotten several doctors' and pharmecist's opinions, and they all say i must not take any prevention. almost all malaria preventions, when taken long-term, will damage your liver. we have looked at some herbal alternatives, and i have now started taking garlic pills. they say it doesn't garauntee you won't get malaria, but it lessens the chance that you will. i am now also taking a mineral and food supplement, plus vitamins. the problem with me is, the strain malaria i have, lays dormant in my liver. then everytime my immune system goes a bit low, it rears its ugly head. and unfortunately i don't have a very strong immune system.
Tina, i am so sorry to hear you are still getting ash now and then, i certainly hope it stops soon. oh, and thank you for your prayers.
i can certainly sympathize with the insomnia, sylvain. it is something you often get with malaria. quite irritating, especially when you are supposed to keep resting.
Hap, i will check that tonic water on google, though i have to admit i am bit skeptical on malaria preventions. i have tried so many different kinds, or seen other people try them, and those few that actually work, usually have serious side-effects. as i said, i am now trying the garlic pills. my dad has been taking it for months now, and he is as fit as fiddle.
Isaac
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
5:59 AM

Post #7232579

Tonic water for malaria is because it contains quinine which you have probably already tried. I've taken it in the past when I was going to be in an area where malaria was prevalent and I hate the ear ringing that comes with it. The British discovered this use of quinine as a malaria preventative during the colonial period and I believe that is why they are known to love their gin and tonics ;) You have to drink a lot of gin and tonics to get your ears to ring and if they aren't ringing it isn't working. If I liked gin more I could see really getting into this solution.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #7232869

Thank you for remember quinine part. After it was posted I remember but never got back to make an addition. Still would rather have the G & Ts. hehe I'm English, after all!

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 2, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #7233270

Hello, everyone.

Ah yes, gin and tonic: my poison of choice when cruising. With lime, of course for the vitamin C it provides. However, I have never had enough of it to have my ears ringing. I did, one night, end up in a state where I could no longer feel my face. It may work because I never got malaria. It's like that old italian superstition whereby growing basil in your garden ensures there will be no dragons in your back yard. I grew basil for a long time and I must admit that it seems to works: no dragons in sight the whole time.

Seriously, Isaac, if your immune system is down, I swear by echinacea. It has no side effects and it really does boost your immune system. It does, however, take about a week to fully kick in and must be maintained daily after that. Maybe that would work for you. Let me know if you can get echinacea in Mozambique. If not, it would be my pleasure to send you some. Costco sells it by the large bottle (200 capsules or more) for next to nothing. I'm a big fan of Costco's warehouse stores.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7233295

Sylvain

LOL

I miss Costco *sigh*.

Hope you are having a fabulous day!

Tina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #7233383

We would meld together beautifully, Pu'ole. The same good taste. Oddly, I also have my face get very numb. And of course, the lime.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 2, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7233488

Oh, Princess... it's really all about the lime, isn't it? Gotta keep that vitamin C flowing. Our bodies can't produce it and you can't stock it. And what can I say about Costco? When I am more than 5 or 6 days without going there, they call me to see if everything is all right. We were in Hawai'i 2 days before the cruise and 5 days after the cruise and we managed to go to Costco 3 times.

"Hi everyone. My name is Sylvain and I am a Costco addict". And the crowd answers: "Hi, Sylvain". As a matter of fact, I have to go today.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7233599

We live within 4 miles of Costco. Used to drive 25 miles. When we visited Jennie and Frank on Maui...you got it...went to Costco. Enjoy your visit to Costco. When not there, I hit Costco.com.

PK

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7233731

You two are as bad as my daughter!! Shame, shame. LOL

Hap

PS. In the summer she goes on her scooter. Has back pack, saddle bags, bungie cords and all is full. She must be a sight.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2009 11:56 AM
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7233753

hmmm... I'm getting this great longing to go to CostCo today. Luckily we do have one and if I don't have my CostCo hot dog with jalapeños once a week I feel deprived.

ps what I miss is Trader Joe's... and Ikea.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2009 11:00 AM
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7233889

Christi

Are you talking about the Costco on Matlock. *sigh* Now I really miss Costco *sigh*

Tina

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7233961

My DD has a Trader Joe in Chicago. What a neat place.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #7233999

Tina, that location was my first love. The one closer is on HWY 67 on the edge of Duncanville and Cedar Hill. About 4 miles from me. I sometimes threaten to take DH's card away from him. I can "just look" but he BUYS! We spend an awful lot while we are saving money. hahaha
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #7234849

This is a picture of the lava dome as seen from my house. The house in the picture IS NOT my house. It belongs to the gentleman that has the property next to mine.

Tina

extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 2, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #7235136

Oh my! That's pretty close. I guess most things on an island are pretty close though. Is that the dome that we can see or is it inside a cone? I hope it quiets down soon.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7235180

Way too close for me. Take care, Tina.

Hap
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 3, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7235218

That is just the top of the dome, it is growing inside a crater. It looks closer because I used the telephoto lens. It is close but not that close. I think it is cool!

I will Hap

Tina
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

November 3, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #7236498

Hello,
Tina, that does look cool, but also a bit creepy at the same time. i personally think its cool to look at it on the photo, but i wouldn't want to live there, :-)
yes, i am quite famaliar with quinine, it has A LOT of side effects. most malaria preventions have strong side effects, quinine among the worst.
could you tell me more about echinacea, sylvain? i haven't heard of it before.
isaac

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #7236643

Isaac, here is a link to some info on Echinacea for you.

http://www.answers.com/topic/echinacea

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 3, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7237680

Hi,everyone.

Oh, Tina... that picture is both wonderful and scary at the same time. There's never a dull day when you live near an active volcano, is there? We hope our little chit-chat will take your mind off the volcano a bit. I always look forward to your pictures and news.

Isaac, in my own opinion, echinacea is just wonderful. Benjamin Franklin once wrote that he could not understand how someone who grew sage (salvia officinalis) in his garden should become so sick as to actually die. My grandmother said it cured everything but death. I hold roughly the same beliefs with echinacea (echinacea purpurea). It is a perennial plant in northern latitudes, up to USDA zone 3 if memory serves. It produces lovely purple-pink flowers.

One can produce a very powerful tincture by digging a 3-year old plant out of the ground, washing it and running the whole thing (flowers, stems and roots) in a food processor with a liter of vodka until a slurry is produced. You then bottle it and leave it in a cool, dark place for a month. Half a teaspoon in a glass of orange juice or water every morning and you're all set.

It wouldn't grow and become a perennial in Mozambique, or Florida. Buying the capsules is much easier. It really does boost your immune system. I used to work with the public in Canada. When the middle of October came around, I started on a regimen of 1 extra-strong echinacea capsule every day and I stayed with it until the middle of April. I wouldn't take the flu vaccine. Before I moved to Florida, I had flu-free for 8 years in a row: quite the record for those frigid latitudes. I encourage you to look it up on the internet. My offer still stands to send you some, if you want.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

November 3, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7238538

Tina we have three pretty good orchid places in Antigua, two for bare root (cheaper) and one more expensive but potted and good quality, if you let me know when you may come I will be very happy to drive you to them.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

November 3, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #7238581

Tina this is my new driftwood feature, right now it only has one hanging orchid, but just you wait, then I will truly be broke!

Thumbnail by cocoloba

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #7238603

Coco,

What that tree in the left? It's beautiful.

Hap
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 4, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7239229

Coco: I love it!!!!!! What a fantastic idea. I am waiting on what they say about a ferry. I would love to go see the orchids, then we could go broke together LOL.

Tina
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 4, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #7239590

The tree looks like what we call a Flor de Mayo, Plumeria I believe in English.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #7239897

It has too many leaves for a plumeria, yes?

Hap
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 4, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #7240024

It is a type of plumeria..I have it written down somewhere, I will find it later today and post what it is called.

Tina
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 4, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #7240080

It looks like that "other" type of Plumeria. The leaves are a bit different to what I think of as the normal ones. I have one but it's not as bushy as that one yet.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 4, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #7240122

It is either Plumeria pudica or Plumera cujete
I think it is Plumeria pudica need a closer picture to tell. But it is beautiful.

Tina

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7240125

WOW

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7240277

Morning all. Tina, you are right, Plumeria pudica. Sue, that driftwood stand is such a neat idea. Hopefully you won't be too broke to take a picture when it is full...grin. It will be lovely.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

November 4, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #7240875

Oh my, Sue, that is beautiful!!!!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #7243474

Tina,

You going to be OK with IDA?

Hap
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 5, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #7243500

Ida is going to plough into Nicaragua shortly, most likely as a tropical storm below hurricane strength. It's main effects in that area are likely to be flooding and mudslides.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #7243564

It's just been called a Cat 1 Hurricane.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 5, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #7243664

Hap.. Ida is on the other side of the Caribbean from me so I do not have to be concerned with it, thank goodness!

Tina
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 5, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #7243715

Discussion #4 on the NHC site still gives it as a tropical storm and not likely to develop into a hurricane. Wind speed is given as 60 knots (just under 70 mph). Public Advisory #4a says it's already a hurricane. And they give wind speed as near 75 mph. On the Saffir-Simpson Scale the wind has to be 74 mph and over to be a Cat 1 hurricane.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #7245328

Hey happy, that 'tree' is what I know as miniature Frangiapani but there is nothing miniature about it. It is THE EASIEST thing to grow, almost 100% success and no watering, feeding or anything. Daves garden said it was Plumeria. Only seems to come in white unlike the Frangiapani tree.

Thumbnail by cocoloba

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #7245583

Thanks.

Hap
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 6, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #7245765

That's what I call Plumeria as well, I've only known it from recently. Mine is very tall, spindly, and only in white. Have never noticed any fragrance. The other ones have been around a long time, are more common, more colourful, usually have a fragrance, and we call those Frangipani. The photo is of my Plumeria which is flowering now.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 6, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #7245779

One of my Frangipanis. This one's an evergreen and grows into a large tree (for a Frangipani).

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 6, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #7245800

Another Frangipani.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 6, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7245814

A slightly different shade of colour to the last. I've also got a deep, almost black, red but not flowering. Another one I think is a yellowish orange.

cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

November 6, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #7248591

Tropic Breeze, Your spindly only white Plumeria needs to cut back. My huge one came about because the dogs kept breakining bits off (did us a favour) almost all of the cuttings will take easily (Little rootone) and then the mother plant will fatten up and not be spindly.
Sue
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 6, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #7248632

Sue, I've considered doing that but with what's growing below, a bushy Plumeria would interfer with. I'll probably end up removing it and putting the cuttings elsewhere.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

November 7, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #7250310

It' such a learning curve knowing where something should go...I just found out I have a plant (confederate rose) will grow to about 20"!
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

November 7, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7250317

hey Tina just listening to the news...temporary ferry from next month permanent one in January! Yeah!!
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 7, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7250428

Sue
I hope but I will not believe it until I see it. We have been hearing a bout the ferry running "next month" for 2 years. Actually got one last year for the month of Dec. then nothing after January. It kept promising "next month" it will be permanent. It never happened, LOL. But if it is still running after Dec. (to many people visiting) I am coming in January some time.

Tina
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 10, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7261327

Update: Volcano is still "going and blowing". Bad news is the ash is going NE to NNE which means Antigua will get some ash and most islands North of Montserrat will be getting ash too. Sorry Sue!

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 10, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7261332

more ash...YUCK.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7263665

Hello, Tina.

May this last episode spare you and every island in the vicinity. Keep on smiling. You will overcome in the end.

Sylvain.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 11, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7263977

drat! I hope it calms down again very soon, enough is enough... right?
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

November 13, 2009
10:44 AM

Post #7269512

i am with you there, Extranjera!
Your frangipani is beautiful, Tbreeze. they are a common plant to find in gardens here, but we rarely get the pink one. we usually have the white with yellow in the center. i have a young one in our backyard, though i will have to move it because its in shade right now. does it transplant well?
keep us uptodate how your volcano is doing, Tina, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Isaac
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 13, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #7269569

Isaac, there's lots of colours in frangipanis, I've only got a few. But they are easy to grow and easy to transplant. In fact they're not easy to kill. Except by waterlogging.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 13, 2009

Post #7271192

Thank You Isaac ... Yesterday was a bad day we got ashed all day, I will post pictures later of the "white out". Today has been a beautiful day, NO ASH. The volcano has done nothing that I could see. We hope that it is going to stay that way.

Tina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #7271208

Happy Birthday, Tina. Hope you are celebrating.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #7273022

Ooh, I love birthdays! Happy birthday, Tina. I hope you get a big cake and lots of presents, or at least a few ash-free days.

Big kisses.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 14, 2009

Post #7273350

Thank You Sylvain & Christi

Ashing today but at least my birthday was a gorgeous ash-free day!

Tina
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 14, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7273397

Today is back to ash and more ash.

The MVO's report that was on the radio yesterday said that though activity is still high it is decreasing, there is not as many rockfalls, volcanic earthquakes or pyroclastic flows. They are noticing a stead decrease in activity. Which is great news..it means that maybe this active phase is coming to an end and life can get back to normal. OH I HOPE, I HOPE!!!!!!!

I am posting pictures of the the 11th and 12th which were very ashy days. I hit my breaking point on the 12th...still have not found my broom after I got very angry and threw it ... have not found where it landed yet LOL. I quit taking pictures at 2:00pm but we had 2 more episodes. I would clean up and as soon as I finished it would ash again..clean that up and it would come again. Enough was enough.

Today, I am staying in the house to much ash, no point in putting myself through the aggravation again. I will just wait it out and wear socks so I can't feel it when walking around LOL.

Tina

This pic i from the 11th

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 14, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7273403

The next few are from the 12th

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 14, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7273416

Round 2

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 14, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #7273421

And more

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 14, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7273424

Later that evening it rained a little while it was ashing and then we got mud.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 14, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7273429

Had to throw this one in here. When anyone ask me how old I am I tell them 39. This is the birthday cake my daughter made me. Children give us so many reasons to love them LOL!

Tina

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7275760

Kids keep us together, don't they?

Hope it will get better soon.

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 15, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7276202

Looks yummy.

Sylvain.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7305522

Tina, hope all is better for you. With no posts here for over a week it makes one worry a bit...grin

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 25, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7308562

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday but i concluded that no news is good news. Let's hope it is.

Sylvain.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 26, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #7311311

Sorry everyone for no post.. Volcano is still going and blowing. I have been laid up for awhile..the ash finally got to my bad sinuses and got a bad infection. I clean up ash then go to bed with a bad headache.
The winds have switched so most of the ash has been going behind my house. But we have been having partial dome collapses, today's partial collapse sent ash over my house. So it is back to cleaning ash. Oh well, that is life on the island.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Tina

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7311334

Tina, so sorry you have been ill. Good thoughts to you and prayers that this rumbler will tire and go back to sleep.

Hope you are top drawer soon...Have a lovely Thanksgiving day...hope you can soon give thanks for clear skies and happy plants.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 26, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #7311869

I'd been wondering how you were doing as well Tina, sorry to hear the mountain is still spewing. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope that your sinuses and that volcano clear up soon.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2009

Post #7313504

Sorry to hear about your sinus problems, and the volcano's continued activity. Take good care of yourself.

Sylvain.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 27, 2009

Post #7313657

We've been getting blue haze here on St Croix off and on. I'm glad I don't have asthma. Seems like the Caribbean should have lovely air, but the Sahara dust and ash are bad bad bad.

I had a neighbor who had a HUGE Frangipani in her yard. The house had a graywater system, and the 'tree', more like a gigantic bush, got all of it, had tons of water, well drained on a hillside. It bloomed profusely and constantly. The tree was more of a bush shape, probably, well, how do you guess size? More than the length of two big pickup trucks, and almost as tall. Like someone said, smells better than all the suntan lotions mixed together.

Get better, Tina. I think I'd go around breathing from a scuba tank if I lived where you do.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 30, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7319915

Thanks everyone! I hope all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am a little late but I have been cleaning ash since Thanksgiving, from sun up until sun down.. it is really starting to be a pain. I really mean a pain, there is not a spot on my body that does not hurt. Too much shoveling ash, crawling on the roof, up and down stairs etc. etc. I have guest coming in a few days and the volcano will not let me clean the place up. I am going to lose my mind before this is all over. LOL. Plus my sinuses are starting to hurt again, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I appreciate everyone's well wishes. And thanks for letting me vent (only steam, no ash LOL).

Tina
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 30, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #7319931

Poor you! Give your guests a broom!
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

November 30, 2009

Post #7319945

And a shovel LOL.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #7320204

Time for a visit to Arlington?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 30, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7321370

Or a visit to Florida? I have an extra bedroom with its own private bathroom, a french cook, a few little lizards and the only ash in sight is in my ashtray outside after I smoke a cigar (once or twice a week). I hope this volcanic activity lets up a bit so you can get a well deserved break.

Take good care.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7322121

Did you forget Lucy, Sylvain?
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #7324185

Aloha Tina,

I hope you are feeling better and you are getting a break in the ash fall before your company comes. ^_^
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

December 2, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7328070

HI Everyone

Bad news Volcano is not letting up, it is still venting ash and pyroclastic flows are flowing.

Good News Winds have switched so all the mess is going to sea and not falling over inhabited areas. We got our break from the ash.

It has rained pretty good the last couple of days so most of the ash has been wash out of the trees and off the roads. This is a very good case of "God giveth and God taketh away".

My guest have arrive safe and sound and are preparing to explore the island (without me) and I have no ash to clean up. Air has cleared so my sinuses are getting a break and I am going to do NOTHING. I am going to take the next few days off. I need to let my body recuperate so it can ash or do whatever it wants I am on vacation LOL.

Sylvain..Thank you for your offer and if we have another round of 3 weeks getting ash everyday, all day I just might take you up on it. Cigars I can take, DH smokes cigars everyday.

Thanks for your well wishes
Tina

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #7328132

Enjoy your rest Tina. So glad the winds have changed...will pray for continued seaward breezes. Have a good time with your company.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7328224

Rest while the guests are away exploring your beautiful island. You deserve it. One thing I found out: laundry, dusting a mopping the floors can wait until the next day. I hope the breeze keeps blowing the right way for you.

Take care.
Sylvain.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

December 13, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7364856

Update:
The volcano's activity has reached the point that they have raised the hazard level to 4 and we have been evacuated. We do have access to our homes during the day but no night time access. They had a meeting on Friday and from the sounds of it, it will be a while before we have full access to our homes. What a bummer..right before Christmas.

Best to all
Tina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7364869

Oh, Tina. I'm so sorry. Was a joke before but now more serious. Might be time for a visit to Arlington to see your daughters. Every kind of store imaginable has recently opened just east of The Parks Mall. Of course, that leaves the mall almost vacant.

Wish there were some solution.

Christi
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

December 13, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7364878

Christi If the evacuation is going to be a long one we may think seriously about a long visit to the States.

Tina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7364902

I truly hope it doesn't come to that. If it should, I hope to meet you while you are here. I am 23 miles down I20 from Parks Mall. Right off of 35E.

Still hope it is not necessary.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #7365786

Wow Tina. So sorry to hear that. Of course would be nice to see friends and family, but know you would not want it to be under those circumstances. Good thoughts to you. Hope this resolves itself soon.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7366370

Oh, I'm so sorry. It must be so hard to have to leave your home right before Christmas. Where are you staying? Do they have something set up for residents? I guess this means that they think the volcano is going to erupt again? Best of wishes to you and hopes for a good outcome.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #7366726

I'm so sorry Tina, I supose it is always better to be safe than sorry, but it must be very hard to have to evacuate your home. All good thoughts go with you - please keep in touch.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 14, 2009
6:59 AM

Post #7366803

Tina, how terrible!! i really hope that volcano calms down soon, it must be horrible to evacuate. Though the circumstances are not very nice, perhaps its a good time to visit some family and friends.
we are all keeping our fingers crossed for you!
isaac
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2009

Post #7367424

Thanks Everyone

It is really hard but it is something we live with.

The hardest part about this evacuation is that it is unnecessary. We are being evacuate because our Chief Minister and the Governor are off island and the ones put in charge are covering their butts. This happen every time the volcano is active and the heads of Government are off island. The ones put in charge do not want the responsibility of things getting worse and someone getting hurt on their watch (bad for their political careers). So they evacuate until the Government is back on island. It is so stupid. The volcano was more dangerous back in October then it is now. But what can you do but follow orders or be arrested.
But it is ok. Our Chief Minister got back today. We will see what he says or does. He is a good person and will look at everything and if he says the evacuation is necessary then I will believe it. If he doesn't think it is necessary then we get to go back home.

One of the nice things is how everyone pulls together during a crisis. My friends on island called immediately so I did not have to worry about finding a place to stay. 2 people who have houses on island but only vacation here have contacted me to let me know that if this turns into a long evacuation that I could move into their house. Everyone knows how rough these evacuations are and everyone offers any spare bedroom, couch or floor space to those who are evacuated. The sense of community and everyone pulling together during a crisis is why I love living here.

Again Thanks for your well wishes and good thoughts, they are very much appreciated.

Tina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #7367536

Tina, your attitude is endearing. Will pray that our Creator will settle the mountain and allow everyone to return home. I'm such a nester I would be devastated if I had to leave home. I appreciate your courage to leave the comfort of the states to begin with. Hope today is the beginning of the end of this episode.

Christi
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 14, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7368100

I second that, Christi! i hope you get go home soon, Tina. we all are thinking of you! and if we were closer, you can be sure that we would have opened up our homes to you too.
i hope that volcano stops giving you trouble.
isaac
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #7368354

It is true that disasters forge community bonds like nothing else. Hurricanes have done that for us here and earthquakes before in California. I'm glad that you have such a wonderful community there and I know you will be fine. Isn't it hard when politics interferes with reality? I'm sure you can imagine how well we know that here. :)

I hope your holidays and full of friends, family and good cheer and that you are back at home soon.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #7368808

Tina could not have lived in Texas very long and not had experience with a tornado. They are our version of a hurricane. I have lived through 4 in my lifetime but did not miss their devastation. Moving from Texas to the Caribbean didn't take Tina out of harms way.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 21, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7388468

Oh, Tina...

I have just returned from my caribbean cruise yesterday. I only just now got around to Dave's Garden, after putting out some "fires" and other imaginary emergencies that required my personal and immediate attention. I am so sorry that you have been evacuated. I will pray for the volcano's activity to subside and your head of state to return, so you can return safely to your home and have some well-deserved peace.

Take care.
Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 24, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7395563

Gail joins me in wishing all our Dave's Garden friends around the world a Merry Christmas and a Safe, Healthy, Prosperous and Happy New Year.

Sylvain.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 24, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7395689

The same back to you, Sylvain!!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!
Tina, i haven't seen you post in a while, are you OK??
Isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #7395861

We are blessed to have this magical media to make so many friends.

Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year.

Christi

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 24, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #7396465

I know, Christi. Who would have thought that 5 years after leaving my snowing Canada, I would have wonderful friends all over the planet? It just goes to illustrate Buckminster Fuller's idea of a global village. The man was quite a bit ahead of his time.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #7396504

Sylvain, our world has truly gone crazy. For the first time in my life it is snowing on Christmas eve and they are promising more for tomorrow. I have lived in Dallas my whole life. It is beautiful but treacherous as it turns to solid ice very quickly and we have nothing to combat that.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7396877

Oh, dear! It's that darn White Christmas song. And all those luxury car commercials with a huge red bow driving in powdery snow. Where does one get one of them huge bows? Who gets a luxury car for Christmas out of the blue like that? And doesn't anyone understand that the visions of powdery snow are just not climate-appropriate for where you live?

Here in Florida, it would truly be a disaster if snow fell. I don't think I could hack it. Then, they'll tell us about global warming. Well, I'm sorry but the winter where we left Canada, I left a potted palm tree outside on the deck and global warming or not, it died. Nobody was surprised. It is currently raining here. That's OK. It won't do any damage.

The best advice when you live in an area that is not equipped to deal with snow, sleeth and ice is to stay inside and stay put unless you absolutely have to drive anywhere.

Take care.
Sylvain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #7396944

Ice here with a chance up to 10 inches of snow. Blizzard warnings for counties next to mine and winter storm warnings for me and everyone east of me. I've covered my mirrors and locked my hubs cause we will be using my truck to get around. Even put my concrete blocks that I use for weight in my truck exactly where I want them so my weight is spread around. lol.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2009
6:06 AM

Post #7397240

Just got home from my brother's. Our family tradition to go to his house on the 24th...about 20 of us. It is about 25-30 miles from here across Dallas.
Normal timing is around 25 minutes as we go most of the way on a toll road.
Took one hour and 10 minutes to get home. Ice and wrecks everywhere. I have a tension headache. Tomorrow's plans are definitely off. I am NOT making a 150 mile round trip to MIL's house. "Over the river and through the woods" is not fun.

Christi
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 25, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7397447

I bet there will be a sad lot of travel tragedies from this storm, people going when they shouldn't. Booo.

A friend on Oklahoma said they'd had four inches of ice(!!) from freezing rain last night
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 25, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7397900

While you guys have arctic weather, we are boiling hot!!! today must have been close to 110F.
i hope you all enjoy your christmas!
isaac
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #7398423

We have ice and 6 inches of snow so far. Had trouble getting around at first because my 4WD didn't want to kick in. It acted up on the way home too but we made it home with no problems. Gonna have to get my brother to check it out. All in all not very many wrecks or anything like that around here today. Everyone was told to stay off the roads and they listened. lol

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas despite extreme cold or heat!! :~)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7399177

Glad you got home safely, Pepper. We are going to attempt to go to Tulsa today to our son's home. I believe their weather is supposed to be much like yours. We shall see. 25* here now.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7405060

Weather fabulous in Antigua...we have had some ashfall from the volcano though. I would like to wish you all a very happy healthy and prosperous 2010!
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

December 29, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7405541

Tina, I hope your Christmas was wonderful (and ash free) and that you will let us all know soon how you are doing. Happy New Year to you as well.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 10, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7448239

Volcano active again Friday:
Explosion sends pyroclastic flows down Belham Valley

At 2:49 pm on Friday 8th January 2010 a large pyroclastic flow forming event occurred at Soufriere Hills volcano.

A collapsing fountain of tephra, associated with ballistic fragments, was observed at the start of the event on the northeastern side of the volcano (very similar in character to those which occurred in Summer 1997).

Large pyroclastic flows moved both to the northeast, reaching the sea down Whites Bottom Ghaut and to within a few hundred metres of the sea down Tuitts Ghaut. Flows also moved to the northwest down Tyers Ghaut, and into the Belham Valley. These flows reached as far as approximately 300 m upstream of the old Belham crossing near Air Studios. Pyroclastic flows also moved to the west towards Plymouth, although it is presently unclear whether they actually reached the sea.

Flows also travelled down the Tar River valley. The event lasted about 11 minutes and seismicity returned to background levels rapidly. There was no precursory seismicity associated with the event.

Only ashfall has been reported in inhabited areas on the northwestern side of the volcano.

http://www.montserratvolcanoobservatory.info/

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7448398

Thoughts and prayers for you and all the folks there Tina.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 12, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7454403

Oh, i hope it stops soon!! has anybody heard anything from Tina recently? it must all be so tough on her.
isaac

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7454605

Hello Isaac. Nothing from Tina since her last post here...3 weeks ago? Hope all is well with her.

How are you feeling now. Saw you had another nasty bout. My New Year's wish for you is good health for the whole year...take care

Jean/Moon
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 15, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7463418

Hi Jean,
yes, i also hope Tina is ok.
i have recovered, and i have made a New Year's resolution to be healthier this year!! i am doing a lot of exercise, and eating healthy. Also we spray our garden much more regularly with insecticides to keep the mosquitoes at bay. i take all precautions possible, and i am healthy now! thanks for asking.
take care,
isaac

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7464051

Good to hear Isaac. Hope you stay that way. Grin

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7464537

Yes, it is good to hear you are you are better. I hope your New Year's resolution will come true.

I worked all morning bringing out all the plants I brought in at the beginning of this cold snap we experienced in the past week or so. Currently in Delray Beach, it is 79F (26C), partly cloudy and I am again sitting outside with my laptop computer. Beware, world: I'm at it again, LOL in a maniacal way.

I wish we could get some news from Tina. I know the two problems are not related but that magnitude 7.0 earthquake in Haiti is on the TV 24 hours a day and every time I hear about it, I am reminded that Tina is missing in action. I was saddened to hear that my french teacher in grades 11 and 12 had retired and moved to Haiti, where her husband became minister of Public Works. They were both killed when their house toppled, crushing them in the rubble. They are among the 5 canadians missing in Haiti.

Maybe Tina is still evacuated and can't sign in. Let's all say a prayer so she can be with us again soon.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 15, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7464617

Oh sylvain, i am sorry to hear about your teacher. the earthquake really is a sad incident. There was a person from Haiti posting on this forum earlier, wasn't there? I think she needed a plant ID.
i also am worried about Tina, but i guess worrying isn't going to help her or us. but i keep her in my prayers, and i hope she is ok.
glad the coldness has lifted, i wish you would send some our way. i am just showered, and i am already sweaty again, ugh!!
oh, and i intend to keep my resolution!!
isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7464619

We are indeed a world citizenship now. We are all touched by what happens to others. Praying for all.

Christi
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 15, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7464630

by the way, it was a 7.3 magnatitude earthquake.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7464826

Our DIL is a research scientist for the Federal Gvt. through Oklahoma University. She sent us seismographic pictures within an hour of the quake. She lives just outside Tulsa, Oklahoma and near Oklahoma City there have been over 200 quakes in the last 12 months. Pumping saltwater into oilwells in order to get every drop is shifting the substrata.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7464859

LouC,

Humans will be the death of us yet!

Hap
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 16, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7466462

a very true fact, Hap!!
we humans have a way of destroying nature...
isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7467109

I live within 10 miles of the Edward's Escarpment which runs some hundred miles north to south. In the last 3 years over 2000 natural gas wells have been drilled and are operating in backyards, church parking lots, edge of schools, etc, etc. Now it has been discovered that it is causing some sort of cancer causing gas that is escaping. Greed is the name of the game at any cost.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7467146

Well, we do have an energy dependent lifestyle.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

January 19, 2010
11:30 PM

Post #7477282

I really want to donate to the Haiti disaster but am so afraid of scams...any good advice?
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 20, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7480280

Doctors without Borders has a good reputation and they are accepting donations earmarked for Haiti. They are there now working as well.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7480613

Heart to Heart International is a good one also. www.hearttoheart.org

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2010
1:12 AM

Post #7480637

I read today that Sandra Bullock, the actress, made a 1 million dollar donation to Doctors without Borders. They have 2 or 3 facilities that were damaged in Haiti and are still working despite the lack of equipment and supplies.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7480753

I knew she had made a donation but I didn't hear to who she made it to. Glad it was them. They will put it to good use.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 21, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7481460

Of great concern to me is the percentage of my donation that will actually reach the needy. In that respect, the International Red Cross (I thought I had posted that one) and Food For The Poor (I just thought of them) are good ones, too.

Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7481548

You are completely right, Sylain. In fact there is a web site 'somewhere' that tells you about the charity and what percentage of donations actually go for the charity and how much goes for administration expenses (?).

How's all?

Nancy
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 21, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7481673

Such a sad thing that happened in Haiti. I can still very clearly remember the 2000 floods we had here. thousands and thousands of people were killed, it was terrible. we also helped with rescue efforts with the Nazarene and Wesleyan Churches. a lot of doctor volunteered from the States, and we used to pick them up from the airport and take them to the rescue center. Natural disasters are so unpredictable, thats what makes them scary.
isaac
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7481699

Scary is right, Isaac. It is the one thing mankind has no control over. When the earth opens up, the quality of the buildings is of little consequence. Tsunamis wipe everything in their path. Hurricanes, tornadoes and wildfires destroy everything in their paths. No where to hide.

Christi

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 21, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7482082

As most of you know, I am a Realtor. Just after we closed on a sale with one of my clients, he told me of his intention of going for a week or two in Haiti. He missed his family over there. He was caught in the earthquake. They were in a 2nd story apartment when the earth sharted shaking and the building collapsed under them. Luckily, they were not hurt (what unbelievable luck) and noone in this family was hurt. He was just flown back a few days ago. It must have been horrible.

Sadly, I became aware long ago that some of these charitable foundations live high off the hog on the money that is entrusted to them. I am always curious about the administration fees they skim off the top before actually getting to work. Even harder to figure out - nearly impossible, in fact - is to find out how much of what percentage of the leftover funds are actually lost through various partners on the way to where the help is intended. In other words: How much of every dollar actually reaches the needy? It's enough to give you a bad case of hives just thinking about it.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7482251

After our trip to the Gulf coast of Mississippi this past Fall, I wonder where all that money for Katrina went. Certainly not evident there. I personally dont trust The Red Cross as far as I could throw them.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 21, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7482297

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines has a private park on Haiti, a delightful and secluded property called Labadee. They are very concerned with the plight of the earthquake's victims. They are currently collecting funds on board all their ships for Food For The Poor. I trust Royal Caribbean with my stock portfolio. I trust them with my life every time I sail with them. I also trust them in their choice of charitable organization. My donation is already made and I will gladly give again if they are still collecting during my February cruise.

What more can we do? They don't need parkas, mittens or boots. We have quite a few of those to give away that we`ll never wear again, either because they don't fit any more (the tropical air shrunk them, I guess) or we won't have an occasion to use them again (Lord willing).

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

January 25, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7494709

Good Morning Everyone

First off Thank You for all your well wishes and good thoughts.

It has really been bad here (more political then volcanic). I am no longer allowed into my home which has me very upset. The explosion on the 8th caused Isles Bay to be locked down. I was at my house when it happened. I saw it long before the warning siren went off so I did not get a chance to cross. But I drove high up the mountain (to a friends house) and was perfectly safe. Waited until the police let me know it was safe to cross. The pyroclastic flow came within a mile of my house. No damage just a lot of ash.

It was after I came a cross the Belham that the stress started. They locked down Isles Bay after we crossed and did not tell anyone. I found out later that night from a friend. My family is the only full time residents in Isles Bay and the Authorities did not let us know what they were doing.
Since this happened on friday and we had daytime entry, that is the day I took everything over to be washed and dried. I left in a hurry so I did not grab anything and my 3 poodles were in my house. We had to leave them over there because where we were stay I could not have them with me. We showed up Saturday morning and they were not going to let us back in. My daughter only had her pj's or her school uniform and me and DH had clothes that we had been wearing for 2 days plus my dogs were over there. The authorities had the choice let me in or I find my own way in, period. Needless to say they let us in for an hour to get clothes and our animals but nothing else. We had another couple of hours to go a few days later to to get all the food out of the fridge and freezer and get some more clothes. All my stuff is still over there, my furniture rest of our clothes etc. I have been trying to get back in but have had no luck. Now they are talking about shutting Isles Bay down for good. Which means I lose my home. I will not get to go back until the volcano goes back to sleep.
We have a place to live for the time being. The house did not have a phone nor internet hook up so that took some time. Spent the first few days clean ash (about the only NORMAL thing in my life right now LOL). The friend that owns the house only comes in once a year and the house is being re done. But I am thankful for him allowing us to live here because he has said we do not have to worry about moving out until we get back in our house. He is such a good soul.
How am I holding up? Not very well I am afraid. Since my DH fall in July has left his health not so good the stress from this situation is causing him some problems and I am very concerned about him, plus one of my poodles is blind and putting him in a new place is cause me to be concerned about him (he is depressed and not eating very well). The government is telling us nothing and not answering any question nor helping anyone in any way. My nerves are shot, I am tired and cranky, and no way to vent my anger. All my gardening stuff and all my plants are still at my house, this house has nothing and no gardens. I am sure all my plants are dead, they have not been taken care of nor watered. It is too depressing to think about it.
But I am taking it one day at a time, thinking beyond that makes me cry. I go to the police station every day and ask if I can go over and one day they will say yes (even if it is for only a few hours).

Thanks for letting me vent, sorry it was so long. I will keep everyone posted (now that I have internet. I am posting some pictures from the event on Jan. 8th. they were taken from my house., right before I realized how bad it was and me & the dogs started heading up the mountain.

Thanks for caring DG friends are the best
Tina

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

January 25, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7494712

Was getting to close

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

January 25, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7494715

A view toward the back of my house

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

January 25, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7494720

Way to close for comfort.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

January 25, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7494729

This one is of ash falling, it is so thick it turns pitch dark outside. the ash has metal in it so the flash from the camera reflects off it.

tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

January 25, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7494746

I forgot...I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday. A belated Happy New Year. I am going to start a new tread for this. This one is getting really long and takes a while to load. It will be under Montserrat Volcano Is Still Active.

Take Care
Tina

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7494831

Tina...there is really nothing i can say other than my heart goes out to you all. So sorry you must battle yet another storm. Good thoughts and best wishes to you. I sincerely hope all works out to your benefit.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7494933

Oh Tina, I am so, so sorry that you have had such a dreadful time of it, the pictures you posted are so frightening. Thank goodness for the friend who has lent you his home, and you are all together and have managed to get the dogs out. Your heart must be breaking, and you must all be in shock to say the least. I guess all you can do at the moment is to sit tight and hope for the best. I, too, send good thoughts for you and your family. Please keep us posted when you can.

Jenn
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

January 25, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7495994

Thanks so much Jean & Jenn. I will keep everyone posted.

Tina

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 25, 2010

Post #7496161

Thank Him above you are all right! You have been in my prayers every night. It's such a shame being unable to inhabit your home. Oh, I feel for you my friend. We'll keep on praying for you.

Keep safe.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7496244

I agree with Sylvain. Have been concerned for you for all these weeks of no word from you. Seems the entire world is erupting at once. They simply must let you in to claim your belongings.

Christi
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 26, 2010
12:07 AM

Post #7496642

Oh Tina, I'm so glad you posted I was really starting to worry about you and your family. I see some news here about the eruption and it is never good.

What a terrible situation, I hope that you can get back to your house and retrieve more things and that your exile from home is not too long. Thinking of you.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2010
1:07 AM

Post #7496810

Glad to hear you are ok!! We were all really starting to get worried. I'm sorry they won't let you in your house. Hopefully one day soon they will let you back in to at least get your stuff.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7498044

Tina, you are in my prayers, also.

Does this have anything to do with the earthquake in Haiti...the earth crust shifting? Scary stuff.

Hap
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 26, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7499151

Oh Tina!! i am so thankful to see you post! i was really starting to get worried, but i am glad to hear you are ok. well physically, but not emotionally. i want you to know i am praying for you, and i sincerely hope everything works out for the best. you have to remember, you are welcome to vent anytime, and your whole DG family here is backing you!
take care,
isaac
tbmontserrat
Isles Bay
Montserrat
(Zone 11)

January 28, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7505165

Thanks everyone for your concerns and especially for your prayers!

I am doing better. A few of the residents that are effected by the evacuation had a meeting with the Authorities. We were able to voice our concerns and ask questions, but more important we got answers. I have an appointment with the MVO and the Director is going to go through everything with me so I can understand the situation better. The Authorities did put a lot of my fears to rest. They are going to try to set up something in the next week so that we can go over (under controlled conditions) to retrieve belongings and secure our homes. This of coarse will depend on what the volcano is doing. Plus, they are going to figure out ways to involve the residents more so we are not left hanging. I felt it was a very productive meeting, we will see if they follow through.

I was able to go over to get a few things I needed now , they gave me 30 minutes, it only took 15min. Got in and got out. I was relieved that we had not gotten to much ash over there and the rains we had cleared the roof (don't have to worry about the roof collapsing). A lot of my plants are looking sad but did not have time to do anything about it. When they let us go over I will take care of them. Some looked beyond hope but some seemed to be doing ok. I did get a chance to move a couple of the worst ones out in the open so that they could get some rain.

I will get through this. You know the old saying..that which does not kill us can only make us stronger. Hopefully the volcano will do what ever it is going to do and get it over with.

Hap..I do not know if this event is related to the other events happening in the Caribbean. It is one of my questions for the MVO Director. This volcanic event has been strange from the beginning. It has been on going for 4 months now. It has never put out this much ash, nor has it been so active on a continuous bases before. Something is different.
I know that Haiti has it a lot worse then we do. Compared to what is happening there we have it easy (so far). I hope everyone keeps Haiti in their thoughts and prayers. They need a lot of help.

Take Care
Tina

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2010

Post #7505195

You sound so much better, Tina, and that makes me 'Happy"!

The fact that the powers that be are working with you has to give you a lot of relief. Sort of remember that you stated at one point that this was not always the case. It sounds as though you will not lose your home and that is a biggy, for plants can always be replaced or not.

After reading your plight, I have promised my family I will not long lament about my garden being trashed by our frigid weather earlier this month. Things are still dying and such is life. Don't think that I'm going to replace things that are lost.

Prayers will still be coming you way and my heart really goes out to you. How is your DH doing? You certainly have your hands full.

Hap

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7505228

Tina,

I found this map and it looks as though you are on the eastern end of the plate, so I think it has a possibility of being related. Yes?

http://scienceblogs.com/highlyallochthonous/2010/01/tectonics_of_the_haiti_earthqu.php

edit: Scroll down to the second map.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2010 6:41 AM
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 28, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7505748

FWIW, the VI/Puerto Rico area was getting swarms of 3.0+ earthquakes for the last two months .A little Ring of Fire, the Caribbean.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7505876

Well, 'tis said that Florida is destined to be under water...Dear, oh, dear.

Hap
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

January 29, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7508995

Glad to hear from you, Tina!!
Natural disasters are scary, and i think Haiti is the worst at the moment. you are all in my prayers!!
take care,
isaac
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 29, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7509852

It is a fact that the earth's crust is unstable and constantly changing/moving. It's good to heed advice. A wrong move could end up disasterous. It must be a difficult task for the authorities trying to second guess the erratic nature of volcanos while dealing with the emotions of people. Stay safe.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

January 29, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7510110

I read someplace that after the 7point something in SE Asia, the Earth was ringing like a bell for months. Probably the same now.

Lets hope Yellowstone doesn't blow.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America