Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Ratatouille - Blend of summer and fall produce!

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 7, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
foodgardener
Los Angeles, CA

October 5, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #7137630

Fall just started and summer just ended; it's a great time to incorporate summer and fall produce into a delightful dish. This Ratatouille is made of zucchinis, tomatoes, eggplants, onions and sweet bell peppers is a great way to welcome the fall season and say farewell to the warm days of summer. Visit http://snagwiremedia.com/ratatouille/ on how to serve this colorful medley of vegetables

Ratatouille

What You Need

1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup Kraft Catalina Dressing, divided
2 large red peppers, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
4 small zucchini (about 3/4 lb.), cut in half lengthwise, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, coarsely chopped
3 tomatoes (about 1 lb.), chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil

Make It

PLACE eggplant in colander. Sprinkle with salt; mix lightly. Let stand 30 min. Rinse, drain and pat dry with paper towel.

HEAT 1/4 cup dressing in large nonstick skillet. Add eggplant; cook and stir 6 to 7 min. or until softened and browned. Spoon eggplant to side of skillet. Add 3 Tbsp. of the remaining dressing, peppers, zucchini, garlic and onions to center of skillet; cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until vegetables are tender. Spoon to side of skillet. Add remaining dressing and tomatoes; cook and stir 3 min. Mix vegetables and tomatoes; cover. Cook on low heat 15 to 20 min. or until vegetables are very tender, stirring occasionally.

Thumbnail by foodgardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 30, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #7222873

I make this dish alot...but I don't use any bottled dressing...just garlic/onions and olive oil.

Chopped finely, room temp ratatouille is great on vegies or crackers: 'Cowboy Caviar'...
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 6, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7341820

Aloha foodgardener and Carol!

I love using the Ratatouille combination of vegetables in unusual and different ways.
Following are links to two of them

BTW, I don't use bottle dressing either but love using my garlic infused olive oil - instructions for making it are on the post

http://www.soniatasteshawaii.com/2007/08/an-afternoon-wi.html

,,,and here is a recipe for Ratatouille Pie - for the real men who claim they don't eat quiche...
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977104705

Enjoy!
Sonia
(foodiesleuth)

Thumbnail by foodiesleuth
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 11, 2009
5:34 AM

Post #7357952

Years ago I bought this bottled at a Food Show...they called it "Cowboy Caviar"...it was a great dip for vegies and was cool on crackers...great in warm wraps with Feta or Goat Cheese!!!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 11, 2009
5:34 AM

Post #7357954

Sonia, Quierida...is that YOU?
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7372476

Si, Carolina...soy yo!
;-)

Sorry, I was w/o a computer for several days and was already climbing walls...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

December 16, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7372734

I know how you feel. Mine is broken (cucarachas in the wires) and I have to use this @#%##!! laptop til mine is fixed!!!!
foodiesleuth
Honomu, HI
(Zone 11)

December 18, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7378551

;-) Mine seems to be behaving today, but really acted up yesterday when I was trying to post the latest to my blog...
:-(

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America