Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: fuschia salvia

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grandma_bill
Parkton, NC

September 24, 2001
11:02 AM

Post #14231

has anyone ever heard of this plant? I bought one at a master gardener plant sale last spring - it has large leaves and a sprawling habit, but has not bloomed for me. I cant find any info on it anywhere. I bought it thinking it would be similar to other perennial salvias I have had. there was no info with the plant except the name and that it is a perennial.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2001
1:40 PM

Post #133397

Grandma_bill (interesting name, BTW), Salvia iodantha has the common name "Mexican Fuchsia Salvia." Salvia buchananii is commonly called "Buchananís Fuchsia Sage" As far as I know, both of these are tender perennials.

Here is a link to a website called "Salvia World" which has many photos and descriptions of salvias: http://www.eclectasy.com/gallery_of_salvias/index.htm

You can find both of these species in there. Hope that helps!
grandma_bill
Parkton, NC

September 25, 2001
12:01 AM

Post #133804

That's It! salvia iodantha - if it ever blooms it will be pretty! thanks for your help. I had been searching the internet but had never come across that site. my grandma's nickname was Bill. her real name was Willie and she was the most knowledgable gardener I have ever known. she had the greenest thumb and I guess I inherited her love for gardening, if not her gift! she reminded me of mrs. santa claus - always had homemade toys for us and homemade candy or sugar sticks. I remember her reaching into her apron pocket when we unexpectedly dropped in and always finding a sugar stick for us! thanks again!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2001
12:24 AM

Post #133818

Glad to help, and a pleasure to meet you; love the explanation of the name. Hope your salvia blooms for you next season!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America