Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: fuschia salvia

Parkton, NC

has anyone ever heard of this plant? I bought one at a master gardener plant sale last spring - it has large leaves and a sprawling habit, but has not bloomed for me. I cant find any info on it anywhere. I bought it thinking it would be similar to other perennial salvias I have had. there was no info with the plant except the name and that it is a perennial.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Grandma_bill (interesting name, BTW), Salvia iodantha has the common name "Mexican Fuchsia Salvia." Salvia buchananii is commonly called "Buchananís Fuchsia Sage" As far as I know, both of these are tender perennials.

Here is a link to a website called "Salvia World" which has many photos and descriptions of salvias: http://www.eclectasy.com/gallery_of_salvias/index.htm

You can find both of these species in there. Hope that helps!

Parkton, NC

That's It! salvia iodantha - if it ever blooms it will be pretty! thanks for your help. I had been searching the internet but had never come across that site. my grandma's nickname was Bill. her real name was Willie and she was the most knowledgable gardener I have ever known. she had the greenest thumb and I guess I inherited her love for gardening, if not her gift! she reminded me of mrs. santa claus - always had homemade toys for us and homemade candy or sugar sticks. I remember her reaching into her apron pocket when we unexpectedly dropped in and always finding a sugar stick for us! thanks again!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Glad to help, and a pleasure to meet you; love the explanation of the name. Hope your salvia blooms for you next season!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.