New Around the Barn #2

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Romeo and I went goofing off to the mailbox the past two days.
Here's some shots from yesterday.

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by AngelSong
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I'm going to try to get some updated Ransom weight shots this week as well. Been a muddy puddled mess at home. We needed rain, but maybe not so much all at once. I'm hoping the puddles are gone in the arena by tonight.

New New New ... hmmm... Ransom and I were to show two weeks ago, but it got cancelled last-minute. shucks! He and I are training up on Training Level 1 & 2. I keep changing up the bits from three different ones to keep his mind off leaning on me, and it's working out very well. His transitions are coming along very nicely.

Romeo's shoes were removed last trim, and his feet are adjusting great! Rode him on dirt, gravel, and asphalt the last two days, and he didn't take one lame step. Good Boy! Only minor spooks, and he'll shudder just a split second before walking on his way. Even splashing through water, which is great.

South Hamilton, MA

Not our barn; but we went to the Topsfield Fair (0ver 100yrs old) & saw the horse pulling--3200 lb limit. I thought the horses were better cared for at this contest. They were not always walked around between tries at the same weight, but talked to & settled down better. From the dun color on several teams, I think they have Belgian inheritance. The winning weight was a pull of 7800 lb for 12 feet . Different from our light horses.

Does Romeo not like objects such as mail boxes? One of the challenges on the trail class is to pull something out of a mailbox, show it to the judge, & return to the box.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Mailboxes were an old spook to him. I had a lesson once about mailboxes. Instructor rode an old sturdy horse, and showed Romeo the mailboxes are nothing to care about. He also learned that sometimes, if the mailbox is on one side of him, a cookie might be on the other. I forgot yesterday to have cookies in-hand - need to remember that next trip out.

He was GREAT at the mailboxes this trip. Didn't want to put his hooves on the darker pavement patch asphalt, but that will just take practice.

South Hamilton, MA

Glad that something spooky has been removed. Do you have many places to trail ride? A trail crosses our property so the girls hacked over to shows as young people as we didn't have a trailer. Trail riding can be much more fun than ring exercises.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Not so much. Everywhere I could "trail" I would have to haul to, even the town park.

I can piddle around on my place in and out of the trees, but the barn is always within close reach.

He does great. I can ride him right past the house, down the road in the other direction, and he'll slow and try to turn back only once. A nice leg nudge, and he'll keep on going, ears forward, relaxed.

South Hamilton, MA

Glad that he is getting more 'trailwise'. Much more fun, afterall horses were meant to go places.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I don't always agree. There's lots of satisfaction in a good dressage training day on Ransom. That's solely arena work, and when things are great, we're both happy.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

It's nice for their brains to do something different, even if it's just going down the road. Same rules apply as in the arena. Good for the rider too.

South Hamilton, MA

Re the note on blessing of the animals on the other barn thread: since the trail crosses our property, we received an invitation from the local hunt to attend the 'blessing of the hounds' on columbus Day. I assume the horses are included & suppose offficiating is rotated among the churches in town. I know the hunt members dress up & there are refreshments--for the people, for the animals?

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Hope you're going, it should be fun.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Please take pics.

South Hamilton, MA

Afraid that we are probably not going.

South Hamilton, MA

Have to start getting ready for weekend at jumper 2's house next one. She might get pics--we still use a film camera. Got this computer--can't be up on tech with everything.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Rainy and cold here. I tried waiting, but I put a sheet on Alice. Showing in Nov. so I want to keep her fur coat down a bit to prevent hours of cooling out and drying. I try to wait till the end of Oct. High of 48 today.

South Hamilton, MA

Cajun--how is the rest of the move coming along?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My company left today so we will get back to it in earnest. Got most of the animals moved.

South Hamilton, MA

I'm sure that it will be a relief to get everything finished.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They say it might snow this weekend. I hate cold weather.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Can we have some cold?
It was near 95 yesterday. Heat index over 100.
Cool front today drops it to 60s.

Need some ideas for Ransom. He is getting thick coat on his neck and belly. Not so big deal until it's like it was yesterday with the heat. He gets sweaty before we even work.
Do I clip? Who makes a decent but cheap clipper that will last at least one season? Not needing the super duper version since I don't have a barnful.

TIA!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Clipped all but his legs yesterday. *cough snort* I had hair EVERYWHERE. still finding little bits in places I'd rather not admit to. I've showered TWICE since I got him all done.

I'll have pictures Saturday & Sunday at the upcoming show.

wheeeeeeeee

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Ours are starting to wooly up. Looking forward to the pics.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Alice is starting to get wooly, put the sheet on to keep it down for showing this winter(indoor shows). I add layers as it gets colder.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I got a ride in today, cleaned the stall too. Hope to ride more, the barn has an indoor arena when the weather gets bad.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Show is Sunday.
Ride times have been posted.

w.t.c. equitation with one other junior rider, 8:48 am

Training 1 10:08
Training 2 10;12

CDT, for those of you willing to pray for safe rides... TIA.

Jenn & Ransom
http://hunterintraining.blogspot.com for anybody curious how we're doing... I'm going to charge up my camera for blogable videos of the rides.

South Hamilton, MA

Read your last blogs on the site. Sounds like Ransom is listening to you. I think it does take awhile for an older horse's muscles to warm up & sounds like you both are getting more confidence.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DD rode today and jumped for the first time since Sept. With school and marching band practice she hasn't ridden in about 3 weeks. Alice is really crooked to the left again. I have orders to ride this week to help fix that! Football season done Oct 30 so she'll be able to ride more then.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Well I didn't get any riding done untill today. I took Alice to see a guy that works on kinetic energy in animals. She is alot less crooked to the left(right lead). Worked circles at the trot and walk and made some progress. DD is under the weather, so I got to ride today and hope to again tomorrow.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DD had her b-day yesterday. These are her balloons. She is now 18.

Thumbnail by jumper2
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Happy belated BD to Jumper2's kid! Hope you had a great day! Love the ballons.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DH is planning to get more for her graduation.
It's gotten colder, put a liner under Alice's sheet. Too much hair means more time to cool her out after a ride.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

jumper - I hear that.

Body clipped Ransom all but his legs for that exact reason...

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm nor sure Alice would stand for it. Blankets and other layers have worked so far.

Richmond, TX

J2 have you tried using light to prevent winter coat growth? If the daylight hours don't get shorter the horse won't grow a winter coat. Of course that only works if your horses are stalled at least at night.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I board, so it's not an option. Luckily there is alot of natural light in the barn, it helps shedding in the spring.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DD rode yesterday after a very busy week. She lunged Alice first and was glad she did, VERY bouncy.
Alice is now wearing a blanket as it has gotten colder. They are calling for a rain/snow mix on turkey day!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

snnnn-sn------... you mean that white junk, yes?

*giggle from South Texas*

South Hamilton, MA

Better in some ways than 100+ degrees. They do have an indoor area at the barn. Do you have pictures from the show as yet?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images