Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Pickled Corn: Finally after all these years

Communities > Forums > Article: Pickled Corn
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pickled CornReplies: 10, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lisaregina
New Carlisle, OH

October 6, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #7141366

I have been looking for the instructions on how to pickle corn for 28 years. My grandmother used to live in Kentucky and would send my brother and I pickled corn on the cob once a year as we were growing up.. We used to fight over it and my grandmother never sent enough. By the time that I was old enough to make it myself, she had passed away. Since my grandmother knew how to pickle corn by heart , she never felt the need to write it in recipe form and save it for those of us that were left behind. I have wanted to know how she had done this pickling process for years, asked on numerous forums and no one had any information. I also looked it up on google, again not much information. I do have a couple of quick questions , does this need to be refrigerated after it is done pickling or can it just sit in the brine at room temperature? Also how long will it keep after it has been pickled? Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us, now after 28 years of searching endlessly, I can finally have pickled corn again.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #7142287

Wow! I am glad to have helped you. And so glad somebody else remembers it.

It's like relish, once it has been opened, I keep it refrigerated, but I remember that it was often kept in the cellar in winter at home, probably in summer too. Treat it like pickles as far as aging is concerned. If the brine becomes cloudy, then I wouldn't use it. Otherwise, it should last a few years. Since I am the only pickled corn eater around here, I don't make much at one time, just enough for me, so it doesn't last long.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I just have to tell you the way I know it, and since to most people it is unknown, I have no one else to ask.

Good luck, though, and I hope it works well for you.
Let me know!

Oh, I had relatives who lived in New Carlisle, they taught there, last name was Webb. I am not sure how big NC is, but you might have known them.

Thanks for writing.
lisaregina
New Carlisle, OH

October 11, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #7156671

I don't recall anyone by the name of Webb. New Carlisle is pretty good sized, so I don't know a lot of people that live in this area unless they are close by. I know a lot of my neighbors, but that is pretty much it. I don't get out a lot, I'm a homebody and kind of hibernate. As to the pickled corn, the only thing that my mom and I can remember is that my grandmother sent it to us in a big jar in it's own pickled brine. Mom believes that it wasn't refrigerated and when she would take it out of the jar she would have to rinse some kind of mold or scum off of the ears of corn. She was grossed out by it so she didn't eat it, but my brother and I loved it and even sucked the juice out of the cob after eating the corn. It was quite sour and had a fermented smell that really wasn't the best smell in the world, but the taste was heavenly to us. I want to make it, so maybe I will refrigerate after it is finished fermenting. I have never fermented pickles, so I don't know if they need refrigerated after they finish the process or not. I just don't want it to spoil (if that is possible after fermentation), so maybe I should just be safe and keep it cold. Does your pickled corn have a sour taste or sound like what I described? Thanks for answering my post...Lisa
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #7156685

Maybe it does have a taste like you describe, but I usually rinse it and rinse it again. I usually eat it with green beans, too, all mixed together, so maybe that mixture does away with the fermented smell you describe. Not sure. I just know that once I open a jar, I always refrigerate.

Let me know how you do, I don't know anyone else who tries to make pickled corn around here, so I have nothing to compare mine to.

Good talking with you, best wishes for your pickled corn.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

And I'll answer your post whenever you write.
Sharon
leatol
Wewahitchka, FL

October 12, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #7160830

Do you boil the brine and pour it over the corn hot, so as to make a seal?
Thanks
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7161272

No I don't, it ferments, like sauer kraut, and after the fermentation I always refrigerate it. If you boiled it, I am not sure the fermentation takes place.

I really don't know, but will see if I can find an answer for you today.

lisaregina
New Carlisle, OH

October 12, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #7162064

Thanks for the information. I will try it as soon as I can. Looking forward to it, I can taste it already. Yum, is all that I can say...Lisa
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #7162579

Me too, I've made myself hungry.
Again!
roserebel
Kelso, WA

October 14, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7166503

hi.I have a couple of questions on your pickled corn.When it is in the jars or crock do you cover it,like wit ha rag or something?And do you just leave it in the crock and brine til you want to eat some,then rinse it a couple of times then eat??I've told my sister about this and she is going to try some when I email the recipe to her.thanks so much...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7166515

If you use a crock, then a plate or a top of some sort should be put on top. I always use jars and the tops that go with them.

Yes, I do leave it in the jars of brine till I want to eat it, but it needs to remain in a cool place, no more than 40 degrees or so. These days, I am more likely to refrigerate it after I use it for the first time. Yes, just rinse a couple of times and eat.

Treat it the same way you do when you open a jar of pickles or relish. Once opened, I usually refrigerate it. But that is also because I have no cellar to keep it in here, and because the temps are also unpredictable in my zone. Yesterday it was 80, today it was 53. Who knows about tomorrow...

Good luck, you and your sister. Let me know how you do.
Thanks.
rondaj4u
Delaware, OH

August 10, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9626892

I'm 50 now and have grown up on pickled corn! As a matter of fact, spent the morning at my parent's house getting 2 crocks ready for another season...mmmm how I LOVE the stuff. You almost have to be raised on it because many do NOT share me and my families love for it lol. We've never refrigerated nor canned it! My mouth waters today knowing that 2 lovely crocks will be ready to sample in about a month or so!! My dad took over making it many years when grandma passed away, that's where he learned, now I know how to make it, altho I just assist since he's still the Master of PC!! :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pickled Corn Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful article LavinaMae 3 Oct 22, 2009 12:04 AM
Oh, yes, pickled corn (and pickled beans Hemophobic 5 Oct 6, 2009 10:29 PM
Pickled corn??? LouC 1 Oct 6, 2009 3:13 PM
That look.... zhinusmom 1 Oct 6, 2009 10:29 PM
What! Pickled Corn? gloria125 3 Oct 7, 2009 2:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America