-
AuthorContent
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7141974

Is anyone contemplating changing over to the new Windows 7 Operating System? I must purchase a new desk top computer (thinking Dell), replacing a 2003 Gateway that crashed, and see that some with the Vista OS are eligible for upgrading to Windows 7, which Dell says is easily accomplished by the buyer once the software goes public on October 22, or Dell will make the change for me at that time and ship the computer then. Hate to wait. I'm not clear on whether that will change the sale price of the various computers they have listed.

I'm wondering whether to buy direct from the manufacturer (with or without the new Windows 7 OS) or get one from Costco, where I would definitely have to do the upgrade myself. I have heard that Costco has a very friendly return policy should the product not perform. I haven't heard one way or the other regarding the manufacturer's policy...just some minor carping about features of the Dell which would probably not be very meaningful to me, such as ultra-gaming technology and super graphics capability.

Also I don't know whether I would be able to get myself up and running with the new system and router for a laptop I already own. There is no transition of files to be done, as my desk top computer is unbootable. I did back up the entire system to an online service about ten days ago, so I should be able to get my pictures, personal files, etc. back. Since I left my job a couple years ago, I no longer consider myself in the least tech savvy and it cost me about $250 to get a techie person to come to the house and get up and running when I moved here. I'm not eager to attack this alone. I know I've got a lot going on here, but would be glad for any comments or advice.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #7142010

We never ever buy the first version of any OS, but
that's just us. My husband is a computer tech and
he sets that rule.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #7142122

If you have Vista, keep it. OS upgrades are a pita since you must have a valid
OS, such as Vista or XP, on your pc before the upgrade will install even though
it is a complete system. Wait a year if you can before buying "7" to give MS
time to fix a thousand blunders.

Another consideration is some of your hardware may not have original drivers
compatible with "7". Downloaded updates may not have all the features of the
originals. HP printers were notorious about that. Generic drivers would not
have some of the extras HP put into their software. You can run into problems
with cameras also.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7143038

My mom has been using win7 at her computer club and absolutely LOVES it.

the department that she volunteers for is going to buy her a computer [that she gets to pick out] but she's waiting til 7 comes out.

she says it's better than Vista ... I told her i'm still gonna have a hard time giving up XP.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7147445

I like XP also. I've not heard anything good about Vista. Maybe I'll just go for one of the Vista XP OS desk computers and wait a couple of years before worrying about Windows 7. Does anyone have a suggestion for a website that discusses the new operating system? know it's not out to the public until 10/22, but there are still folks out there with the beta I believe. Thanks for your comments.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #7147528

Just google it... there are many sites that have reviews.
I used "Windows 7 Reviews" and many links came up.

cnet is a site i always use when reviewing anything... but there are quite a few others that came up too.
pcworld and zdnet are two other sites i read too.

happy hunting...
linuxogre
Lancaster, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7147969

Walter Mossberg gave Windows 7 a very positive review in todays Wall Street Journal. He put it as equal, or nearly so to Mac OS X. Considering how down he has been on Vista that is quite a turnaround.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

October 9, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #7151702

Pam, whatever you do, I wouldn't buy a new computer with XP. Eventually you're going to be in a position of having an OS that has little or no support or upgrades. And if you decide later to upgrade to 7, I read the other day you won't be able to do that from XP.

I've heard nothing but good things about Windows 7. I've had Vista on my new machine for a bit over a year and have no complaints about it at all, but it came already installed and I have Home Premium. According to what I've read, those who had problems with Vista were either upgrading on an older machine or were using Ultimate. Some people hate the persistent security popups but it's really easy to turn those off. Then there are a lot of people who just hate any new OS. I remember the same kind of bad reviews and complaining when XP was new. I think Vista is a definite improvement over XP and I was an XP fan when it was going through the usual I hate this reviews.

I've also read that 7 is faster and better than while using less memory and continuing the improvements found in Vista. If you wait another 13 days, you can get a new computer with 7 already installed and that might be the simplest thing to do.

I like this site for reasonable, non-hysterical reviews. Just search through their archives here for Windows 7. They also have a lot of useful how to articles.
http://www.vistanews.com/Archives/

And their new newsletter
http://www.win7news.net/Archives/

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #7152144

I didn't think you can even get a PC with XP anymore.

in Aug, I purchased a laptop for my youngest.. and it has Vista... I have not had any issues with it either, and eventually those pop ups quit popping up.
senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7154792

Agree completely with 'hart'. I have Vista Ultimate and have no problems with it. I liked it but I do not think I will upgrade to Win7. Just tired and perhaps, older...these new OS just keep popping up!LOL

Larry
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7161691

Thank you Hart and tcs and senlarrs,

I think I'll just wait the few days and get Windows 7. pam
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 20, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #7190234

In late summer my Dell, XP of 6 years laid down and died. After much comparison, wound up with a MacBook. I hesitated because it was $999.00 and the Dell laptops were so much cheaper. There is a reason for that. After comparing Apples to oranges (pun intended) for many days I soon realized that Mac comes preloaded with more programs than Windows even offers. By the time I had added everything to the Dell that Mac already had the price went to almost $1600.00 for the Dell.

Apple should do more actual comparisons in their ads. I erroneously believed Apple was higher priced. Not so when you compare the components. I have already upgraded to Snow Leopard and I couldn't be happier. Having purchased my first PC when windows 95 came out, I no longer consider myself a novice. Everything about this little jewel is above and beyond.

Christi
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #7204115

Christi, I had a quick look at the MacBook online before coming here. It was around $1299, so I kind of dismissed it. I need to do some more reading. I have a Dell laptop with windows XP, and I don't know if the two are compatible. But you're right, the add ons to get a Dell to the same level was something I hadn't considered. The Mac is like going to look at a Mercedes after you've been considering a Ford. They sure are pretty. Pam
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #7204176

David Pogue of the New York Times gave it good reviews but with some reservations. I generally trust him. There are apparently ugrade problems from XP. Seems smooth from Vista. I see this as problematic cuz Vista got so much bad rap I stuck with XP. Now I feel stuck with XP till I buy or build a new computer. That's life in the slow lane. :-)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/technology/personaltech/22pogue.html?ref=technology
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #7204405

Apple can even put both systems on your PC if you so desire. Mac is completely compatible with Windows albeit a better system. No need for multiple safety upgrades and programs. They had a special going on when I purchased mine and I also got a $229. iPod touch screen for free. Brought the actual price down even more.

Christi
GeorgiaJo
Dallas, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7284396

I installed Windows 7 (Ultimate) a couple of weeks ago on my 3 year old Dell. It's wonderful!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #7378310

Was it easy to transfer all of your old stuff on to it?
GeorgiaJo
Dallas, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #7380923

I had saved all my data on an external HD and it was very easy to get it back. Also, even though I had done a clean install (rather than an 'upgrade' from Vista), it saved an image of my old stuff in a folder called something like 'old.windows'; I could have copied my data from there if I wanted.

I still really like this operating system (6 weeks after installing it). I don't think it has crashed once. The only thing I can grouch about is that some of my favorite vista games aren't available for Windows 7, but theoretically they will be soon.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2009
9:01 AM

Post #7381706

Thanks!
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2009
9:07 AM

Post #7381708

Juneybug, if you are using XP note that there are upgrade issues with 7.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #7381807

Uh oh...yep, they are both XP. Well, I do have external hd's for both of the computers, so that may help. I am going to wait a while and see if the upgrade problems get patched. Thanks for the warning.
GeorgiaJo
Dallas, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7382092

If you have XP you'll need to do a full clean install rather than upgrading. Of course you'll have to reinstall all your applications and copy your data back from your external HDs, but that's generally a good practice anyway.

Most of our computers are still XP and I'm very experienced and comfortable with that operating system. But I really do love using Windows 7 on this one machine. Unfortunately, I can't put 7 on any of our others because they're just too old and 'weak'. If I had any money to spare, I'd buy another PC with Windows 7, partially because of how well it's supposed to work when networking two Windows 7 PCs.

Juney, you need to check to see if your PCs will work with Windows 7 before you do anything.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #7383030

Thanks for that. It looks like mine will be AOK. DH's I didn't check yet, but it is only a year old and I don't think that it will be a problem as his is bigger and faster than mine.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #7386422

I got the Windows 7 disk free from Best Buy, because of the laptop that was bought in Aug for our daughter. I let them back up and do the install. We bought an HP desktop mid-summer, so I used the Windows 7 disk to install myself. I didn't back anything up, nothing that important that needed to be backed up. We also have a Gateway desktop that we purchased a yr and 1/2 ago. I installed windows 7 on it also. It isn't hard to do, just takes a lot of time.

The one aside about 7 that I don't like, is that there is no Windows Mail (aka Outlook Express). I installed Thunderbird on this laptop (we also just bought a new HP laptop with 7 already on it), but I can't get incoming Verizon mail. I can't receive mail, but I can send mail. I don't like using Verizon Central because it times out on me all the time. I don't know, never been a fan of webmail.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #7388813

terryr,

I think with Windows 7, Microsoft took those programs (Mail, Movie Maker) and made them downloadable as part of their Windows Live series. Try this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=56883de5-2024-4631-806e-757693072a1c and see if this gets you what you need.

Richard
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #7389637

Richard, I did download Live on 1 computer. From what I see though is that it's not a stand alone mail program. I'm going to follow your link though and see if it's something different. Thanks for your response! ^_^
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7389687

That is the program I have, I didn't realize there was more to getting it up and running! Every day's a Monday for me...lol☺
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #7391288

I just purchased my second iMac and would never go back to a PC.

I purchased my iMac from the MacMall and got some great rebates. I also got Parallels, free after rebate, along with Windows XP, so I can run all my old Windows programs, side-by-side with Mac OS X. I did have to install an Anti virus program and a firewall program for when I'm using Windows, but I don't surf the web when in Windows, so I should be OK.

Yes, initially, Macs look more expensive than a PC, but for everything you get on a Mac, plus not having to buy anti virus programs, deal with viruses, etc., Macs are a bargain compared to a PC.

When you get a Mac, you take it out of the box, set it on your desk, plug it in, make your internet connection, and you're set. Takes about 10 minutes and you're good-to-go.
My .02
Mike
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7391564

treelover, you said:[quote]Yes, initially, Macs look more expensive than a PC, but for everything you get on a Mac,[/quote]
Such as?

[quote]plus not having to buy anti virus programs, deal with viruses, etc., Macs are a bargain compared to a PC.[/quote]

Noone has to buy an anti-virus program. There are quality freeware ones available. I haven't had to "deal with a virus" on my own machine in over a decade.

Don't get me wrong. I detest Windows (I don't hate Macs, either. I think they have their uses, especially in all forms of graphic arts). But, you're saying that Macs are such a 'bargain', because of everything they come with, that apparently a PC doesn't. What exactly would that be? I can build a high-end PC for less than $1500 (and a couple hours labor), that will play the latest 3d games out there, and play them flawlessly. Can a $1500 Mac play the latest games? Can you get a high-end Mac for $1500?

my $.02 =)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America