Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring: zinnia's

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the SpringReplies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Grammyjoy

(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #7141985

I'd love some info on planting zinnia's from seed. What kind is best...when to sow? Thank you.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7144168

Zinnas aren't perennials in our zone. You may be able to find information about winter sowing them in the beginning gardening forums:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_flowers/all/
or you could just subscribe... best $20 you'll spend. We have winter sowing forums, annuals forums, I don't think there's a zinnias forum yet! But I know some folks who plant and breed them. But those are all subscriber-only forums. I can tell you that I think zinnias are considered more late summer annuals, ie you can't plant them until all risk of frost is past and the soil is warmer, or you have to start them inside, and they come in lots of sizes and colors! I have some seed but never got around to starting it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Perennials in the Fall, Instead of the Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fall is for planting, fer sure vossner 7 Sep 8, 2008 4:35 PM
Gladiolus bulbs Gisforgran 11 Aug 13, 2014 9:48 PM
Fall is for planting CHOOD 7 Sep 9, 2008 9:09 AM
Platycodon in Zone 6 Patches001 2 Oct 1, 2009 2:04 PM
thank you Carrie! JacalynFromCanada 1 Sep 9, 2008 9:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America