Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Rock and Alpine Gardening: Pam Eveleigh

Communities > Forums > Rock and Alpine Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rock and Alpine GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 7, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #7143458

This past Saturday our MN Chapter of NARGS met, and Pam Eveleigh gave two talks: on primula (of course) and photography. Unfortunately, I had minor back surgery the Monday before, and could not go. (Everything is going well with that.) But I have heard from several members how really great she is, and one copied her notes from the programs and Pam's handouts, and sent them to me.

Pam's inclusion of maps of the Himalayas (and primula habitat) at the beginning of her talk were very useful, and set her program above others right away. This comment was repeated by more than one Chapter member.

Perusing the notes, I now see why Primula polyneura does well for me: it's natural habitat is dry forest. You see, I have no constantly moist areas in my woodland gardens.

Pam also relayed a nice trick for great photography, similar to your black card behind flowers for your studio shots, Todd: a piece of black velvet, attached to two bamboo sticks. This can be used as a portable backdrop, a black curtain staked to the ground, behind your photo subject.

Anyway, AB, perhaps sometime you can mention to Pam how REALLY impressed our chapter was with her, and the praises I am sure she received after her talks were indeed genuine.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #7145369

She is speaking to us this evening! I had lunch with her today and then gave her a tour of our Botanical Garden. She is speaking to us on the Alpines of the Himalayas.
Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #7325211

That should be very interesting!
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #7325456

It was a great presentation...I only wished she showed more!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rock and Alpine Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
New hillside garden Tammy 88 Jul 27, 2010 6:54 AM
A arisaema sikokianum seedling Tammy 12 May 23, 2007 1:14 AM
Merry Christmas Galanthophile 40 Dec 29, 2007 6:21 PM
NARGS Seed Exchange! Tammy 67 Mar 13, 2007 7:08 AM
Hydrogen peroxide for germination taramark 6 Mar 5, 2007 10:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America