Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Advantages of a deep tray

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 1, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

October 8, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #7146401

I just thought I'd mention this, as I'm browsing around in the germination forum. For many years I used flats or the trays of little individual plant "pots." They would dry out if I forgot them and so I tended to overwater. A couple of years ago I happened to plant my seeds in plastic window boxes - about 10 inches deep. I found that the extra soil kept water that seemed to rise when the top dried out. I was less obsessive about watering, could leave them for a long weekend, etc. If I didn't get around to transplanting in a timely fashion, they just developed nice deep roots. I'll never go back to the shallow trays.

LAS
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #7146730

That is really interesting, as I have just bought 4 window trays on sale at Walmart- 24" long- $1 each! I got them for the same use- instead of planting my tomato & pepper seeds in individual small pots, I plan to sow them in the planters and prick them out when they are ready & transplant into styrofoam cups. I already have some stacked shelves set up in my sewing room- I'll add lights later before it is time to start. We expect our first freeze this weekend, so my garden will be about done. Hurry next spring!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America