what is the best convection oven (not very pricey) out there

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

Hi all - I am the market for a new oven - the one I have is about to die on me - 20 yrs something (came with the house). I love the idea of having a new oven with convection and flat smooth surface. I have been searching for good reviews on certain brands but i couldnt get any.
I am eyeing either a GE or Frigidaire and I would love any feed back anyone has on these brands.
Thanks

Eileen

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I have a double Kitchenaid ovens with the top oven conventional/convection. Love it & I've been using it for almost 10 years. I've been upgrading to stainless appliances but I'm still holding on to this one as long as I can.
Consumer Report always seems to 'favor' Kenmore, but I don't know what they have had to say about convection ovens & I don't have any Kenmore. Mostly CR just concentrates on a few models and Kenmore is always one of them. I believe they rate GE fairly high also. KitchenAid, Jenn Air, Whirlpool and Frigidaire are all made by the same company I believe; not sure but Kenmore may be part of this 'family' also. Unless you are really hung up on Frigidaire, I know folks who have their appliances who aren't happy.

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the reply - I have been leaning towards the GE brand- a little bit more expensive than the Frigidaire but i did find some better quality reviews on it. It seems convection is a new thing with some brands where as it may have been an old feature for Kitchenaid- I wish I can afford a Kitchenaid but it is just too expensive for my very small kitchen ;-) I just dont think it is worth the expense when my kitchen is not even a high end one. I wanted just with a ceramic cooktop -(hate the coil thing) but even that is not any cheaper than with the convection -so I figured go with the convection feature.
thanks again

Eileen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

The problem with the wall oven is they put the conv in the top oven and it is so high I can't reach it unless I stand on a stool. Dangerous.

So, I have a portable, sit on the counter type, microwave with also a conv. Love them both. That one is a Kenmore. The wall oven is a Jenn Aire. Too bad I can't use both ovens. I can in a pinch or when I have DH take the stuff in and out for me.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Jnette, the height of the ovens is dependent on your cabinetry. They can generally be lowered. Six inches can make a huge difference. When I purchased a tabletop oven, I made certain it had a convection fan. There is a big difference. My dumpy Jenn-Air range is as old as the hills. It was in the house when we purchased it. It does not look very nice, but that convection oven bakes like a dream.

To the person who thinks Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air and Frigidaire are all the same company, you are wrong. To the cooks who think Kenmore is a brand, that is incorrect. Kenmore products are made by another company for Sears, hence the name. Their products all have codes, and you can tell who makes them. An oven made by Whirlpool for Sears under the Kenmore name is made to satisfy the specs of Sears.

The company that makes Frigidaire is Electrolux. They are pretty fancy style-wise.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I know about the cabinetry Cathy, but don't want a hole in it that I would have to cover up.

I agree with you about the convection oven Cathy. I love it. That is why I bought the convection with the Microwave when I bought the Kenmore. Years ago I discovered a way to have the best of both worlds when baking a potato. If you microwave a potato, with the holes in it from a fork jab, just short of the amount you normally would nuke it, then You turn on the convection to preheat a steak at 500 degrees, just leaving the potato in there, put the steak in there for the amount of time for a rare, med. rare, or whatever on convection, say 7 min. Both are done perfect and the potato skin is crisp just like you always like them in a convention oven and the potato is nice and hot.

The steak is perfect and you don't have to turn it or anything. All you need is a nice green salad and your dinner is ready. Did this more than once when I would come home from work and work outside until dark. Only took about a half hour and my dinner was done perfect and I had not had to do anything.

That is what living single is all about. LOL

edited to add: Oh, BTW, cooking the steak this way is like broiling it. With the air blowing all around that is why you don't turn it.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 6:55 PM

bertrand, Canada

wow Jnette
I don't mean to be rude and intrude on a converstion but thanks bunches for the idea! I've had a convecto for some 17 years that I've seldome used 'cause, frankly, I just didn't know what to do with it! I never knew about the steak thing...you think that's conveniant living single...give it a try being a newly working single mom! I can't tell you how much use I plan to get from that convecto now!!! LOL!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, that 500 degrees is just like broiling the steak. It honestly works great and with a little practice on the length of time, you will have that down pat and have a perfect steak. And a hot potato. Where's the salad? It is wonderful.

Rude? Why would you think you were being rude? I love to tell about stuff that I know works.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

However, don't forget to change the oven from micro to convection. What kind do you have?

edited to add: You can do the same thing with chicken breasts and cuts like the steak. Pork steak, etc. The chicken breasts would do real good I would think. But I would either leave the skin on, or wrap them in foil. You could just practice things and get it down real good. :0)

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 7:45 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images