Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: THE GPS 6 - The Glorified Potting Shed!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 110, Views: 924
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7149583

We came from here... the GPS5

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1029096/#new

Well, hard to beleive it is October already...Time to start packing it in for winter.. ugh!

Well maybe not just yet, but winter thoughts are abounding...

Been getting things ready to move in for winter storage, but there is a lot to do yet before the snow flies!

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 7:02 PM

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #7149889

Well there are a gazillion things I need to get done befoire winter...tis the time of year my GPS turns into a storage shed.

1) get the begonia cuttings bumped up to move to the house before frost.. otherwise I will be running them in and out until they root...UGH! Or its compost...

2) bump up the daylily proliferations, these will stay in the GPS all winter...

3) remove the wire door for more room...use it for a table top for stacking

4) as the Petunia baskets die, bring them in for storage they should be able to be watered for next year and the seeds should come!

5) same with the annuals in the window boxes ... I am contemplating putting my window boxes into grain bags so that if any seed fall...I can catch it...those alyssums are loaded with blooms and I would like to put them in baskets next year!

6) same with the annuals in the pots, although I would like to bump those out to nursery cans so I have the nicer fancier pots for next seasons house plants.

7) trim trees and shrubs, take to pile

8) plant trees and shrubs

9) get replacements for bad rose cones, get them handy so when first snow hits...also stuff straw in baggies for winterpacking the heirloom rose

10) pack and label seed, finish any harvesting

11) plant perennials

12) clean and store tools away

13) finish planting the strawberries to the tire

14) straighten and store up the empty nursery cans

and 15) and and...theres more to add here...but I need a break

So hows by you guys, what are you doing in yours?

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7149929

Looks like you make lists like me only mine are on paper so I can cross them off when done.
I make lists when I am frustrated at not being able to get things done, like that gets me any farther along.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7149989

I function by the list! It is my brain anymore...at my age this silver head has to have better ways of retaining things! So its by the list, be it paper or PC..gets bad though when I lose the list! I have learned mark the calender, take it one day at a time, one job till its done and just keep at it.

I take my computer calender and take the first 26 days and mark day one as A, day 2 as be and so forth until day 26 is Z. Repeat that every month. For gardening then I take for each day of the alphabet, put the plant I want to grow. Say its argeratum... that goes on day one since day one corresponds with the letter A. It might get moved to another date later depending on what it needs...then I keep adding to the calender things alphabetically until things have to be moved to a new day such as water reminders or weeding, chemicals or pinching etc. Since my calender sends me a daily reminder of the task listed.. then I work from there. Some things get bumped to a new day, others get put on the date I hope to plant, or whatever. I run my tasks that way too until I settle into a routine if it is a daily repeat task or weekly, monthly etc. Its great my calender has the reminder functions and will repeat tasks into the future!

I start taking each plant then and look towards the following season.. like now this time of year I plan for spring planting and mark the following years calender when I need to plant seeds on specific dates.

It all falls into place.

I follow also a greenhouse and nursery handbook. Makes life easyier.

All those tasks above for instance, I will mark my calender too.

If a task does not get done, it gets put to the next day it is projected it can.

Using these forums here helps too! As you may have noticed I am an avide photographer...so I record things as I go when I can. Not all things, just some. It helps me generate a log of pictures and notes and I can go back and read what happened!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7150028

I take tons of photos and label them by month so I can see what is in bloom when.
Also photograph newly planted beds so I can remember what I put where.
I tried the mapping thing but a picture takes less time.

A mini rose still blooming its heart out.

Thumbnail by gardengus

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #7150070

I like mapping, but you are right, it does take time and for a garden as big as mine, mapping does have its better merits.. trouble is, sometimes I forget to update them. So I need to also keep a lot of things in my head...ouch!

So what I usually will do when I plant a new plant is put the label in with the plant, mark the map (if I remember!), take a pic of it. log it on the calender and so forth and so on.

My trade list here also acts as a log for what plants I have...it is not always up to date and that is one thing this winter I need ot get after my photo files and bring some things up to date there too. I try to mark where I got the seed, if someone might be wanting it etc...

Your rose is gorgeous BTW! I have 7 roses.. a pink tea, a couple climbers and a red longstem... My pinks are still blossoming a little. I need to clean their feet up to prepare for rose cones or straw bags...the big heirloom climber I lay doy every winter and just cover the thing with bags of straw.. I use the bags the next year too. Call me cheap, but I save in time too by re-using. This year I am doing all fresh straw in my bags...they will go for a few years before I replace them. So beats the poop out of buying annually. And Then also I do not have the mess of the loose straw to clean up.

15) - bag the straw!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #7150575

My goodness you all are way to organized for me. I write lists of course, and even though I keep them on the dining room table, I swear I do, I just lose them all the same and then have to try to remember what I wrote and rewrite it LOL!
As for the mapping, tried that and failed, still manage to plant overtop of things and dig up bulbs and lord knows what else.
I do keep my photos arranged by month and then sometimes when I go back and look at previous years I see things that I no longer have and it is then that I realize I have planted over it or dug it up by mistake.
One year I used flat rocks by the hundreds it seems that I drug back from the cabin and marked and placed one at each plant (well each plant that was blooming at the time) even though I used a waterproof sharpie, the names all washed away w/n a year!
I used DG journal one year and logged and photod every plant in my gardens and swore I would keep it updated every year, but well go take a look for yourselves ^_^ didn't happen.
Hey beauty of a rose gus. I am pretty tough on roses. Have killed off more than I can count, but at least managed to keep one over the years and it did better this year than ever.
Happy wintering everyone!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #7150609

LOL!! On the plant markers...I bury the plastic ones with the plants root...mark it in pencil.. seems to last.. if I run into a label.. well then I know I kilt something! LOL! Leart long time ago, the black markers dont work! I have tried signs, maps, lists, photos you name it.

Oh, I try to be organized...harder I try the worse it gets.. I multitask. Everything I do now is with purpose even being on the PC here!

Well, this AM it is raining.. must bring begonias in from the porch.

Then try to get to those daylily pros. The proliferations are not priority though.

My life is like that old song.. "Ninety nine bottles a beer on the wall," except, no beer, its ninety nine thousand chores on the list, take one down and put 4 up 9903 chores on the list!! LOL!

I do one chore, in the process or on the way to it, there are a dozen more that need doing and are not on the list some get listed, some dont and it never ends! But thats a full time gardener/rancher/wife/friend/-/-/-/-/-/- what ever I am for ya!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7151587

Well, drat the begonia cuttings in the GPS are not fit yet to bump up...May have to bring a few flats in the house just to save face if we indeed get that frost they are talking. Right now its raining. Been raining all morning.

I spent a couple hours moving the annuals from the viranda to the back porch. I have some lovely peppers that have tons of blossoms and small peppers on them and man I would hate to lose the peppers so I am putting them on the back porch to bring into the laundry room at nite.. just incase! And they are huge!

Brought a few petunias into the GPS for storage.. there are a buuunch of those... but well.. if they come in, or not.. not gonna worry.

Took that door off the hinged in the GPS and made a table to put plants on in there. WOW.. the room I made just doing that having the door clear! No more wasted space with that thing!

I washed the pots off off the annuals in the annual box and brought them up. I weeded out ones I could bring in the house...Put them under lights. Moved house plants around in the house around and watered them. Now need to find more space!

16) must as haighr how she got smiley face on the post.. thats cute! LOL!

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7151852

Are you doing all this in the rain?
To do a smiley ^_^ hold down shift and type 6-6 it will look like ^ _ ^ to you but when you post it it will be a ^_^
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #7151879

I brought in the impatiens, snapdragons, the rest of the chocolate mint, a few coleus, dianthus, a Christmas cactus and need to get the marigolds and allysum.. Got a few small pots of those so I can enjoy them indoors for a little while longer in the house.

Sprayed all the houseplants for bugs with Sevin. There were some houseflies hiding in the leaves and well...hope that got them. Smacked what I could and cleaned up the kitchen sink from cleaning
the pots and unwanteds off of them.

Ouch, looks like I need 2 florescent lights for the one plant stand...ick! that shelf needs cleaning, its dusty and holy cow, got cob webs..! And break out the vacuum.. yipes!

Right now the peppers can stay in the rain.. I am heading off to the cafe

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7152945

OH, then what happens when I do this? ^_~

^_^
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 10, 2009
9:49 AM

Post #7154011

wow I am worn out just reading your list!
I am so glad we don't have such severe winters here.
And that I grow things that can handle local conditions.
I love that yellow mini rose, it has a lovely shape.
Many minis are only nice in bud. I have one pretty pink that opens out beautifully & lasts for ages but my yellow is 'blown' very quickly.
I have decided I need more clematis.
I have a dwarf variety in a pot but think some NZ native clematis would be nice too...
http://www.naturespic.com/NewZealand/image.asp?id=30531

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #7154177

The link says bush clematis, does that mean it is a bush and not a vine?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #7154226

Well...murmer mermer...(no kind words for "Mother N" today... ) she brought the dreaded frost! I am outside hosing off my peppers hoping to save them. It was a hard frost indeed and well, dangggg! Actual ice on theporch too. UGH!

If they look good this afternoon, maube they are saved, but they will not survive long.

Sure took the fun out of gardening...! BUt well just maybe now we will go into Indian summer and the next frost will be well off in the future.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7155334

Well, looks like we saved the peppers this time, but they have to come in tonite.

The stuff in the GPS was ok.

This afternnoon I planted up another strawberry tire. Now I can check those guys off my list.

Going to go do some daylilies...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 11, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7156106

I think by bush clematis they mean it grows in the bush...
I think you refer to it as 'the woods'
in Aussie & NZ it is the scrub or the bush, we don't have the same kind of woodlands as the Northern Hemisphere.
Except by deliberate cultivation...
our native forests tend to have dense undergrowth, NZ bush kills tourists who wander off marked trails.
People don't see that they are about to go over a sheer cliff until it is too late.
Or they just get hopelessly lost even in what seems a small area, the weather changes & they curl up under a rock or log & die of hypothermia & some are never found.
In NZ we don't have venomous snakes(any snakes actually) or dangerous 4 legged predators.
Instead our country side is beautiful but deadly.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #7156154

Have you ever gotten lost?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 11, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #7156719

no - I have always stuck to marked trails & not the kind of tramping (hiking) that gets people into remote areas.
I did some bush walks in Aussie, it is amazing the different terrain there.
In the Blue Mountains in summer it is so hot & dry, the scent of eucalypts is overpowering in places.
On the Gold Coast hinterland it is higher humidity with denser bush, rain forest type vegetation.
I have also been in the outback, very sparse vegetation - Ayers Rock/Uluru is an amazing place.
The trip I did was from Brisbane to Perth - 3 weeks in a 4wheel drive, we camped in tents at night.
One day it rained - just bucketed down, you couldn't see anything even with wipers on full.
And then the desert blossomed.
Wild flowers as far as the eye could see.
I wish I had owned a better camera back then.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7159349

I hit Texas on season when the desert bloomed there and oooh man, talk of awesome! Terrible thing though, the bloom time only lasted about 2 weeks!.. Yeah... and no camera... dang it!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7159621

Well. I moved a couple flats of cuttings to the house.. they seem to be slow in taking and well short of risking another frost.. depending on the weather.. might move them back to the GPS, but am really doubting it.

I may lose them either way..

Right now its kindof chilly tonight...seems frosty!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #7160745

A rainy morning here not that we need any rain, last week ended up with almost 4'' so we are all soaked up here.
I am on my second cup of tea looking over the inside chore list, somehow things just are not as fun inside.
Fall is my favorite time of year , and things are looking good.

Thumbnail by gardengus

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #7160813

Well, its raining again... I need to finish brining pots up for storage now that had annuals in them that croaked due to the killer frost...

I dismantled part of a garden display and need to work on cleaning up some more pots, move them and find a peice of fencing.

I ma not happy with the colder weather.. it has slowed me down terribly between heavier clothes and arthritis acting on me, much yet to do, and at a crawl.

Come on Indian Summer... we sure dont want winter in October!

I did manage to get some of the perennials planted on the weekend...pruned some more trees and did a few odd jobs.

The peppers are still in my laundryroom! LOL! I hope I can boot them out again. They have pansys in their pots and well, when the peppers croak, The pansys should still be ok, but the pansys should be outside! What was I thinking when I put them pansers in there?!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7161187

Gus. what is that beautiful red thing?
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #7161229

Maple tree, beautiful color, but not in my yard.(insert frown here)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7161323

Gotta be a sugar maple eh?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #7161730

Well it quit raining and I brought the petunias into the GPS... I had plenty of room since I got it re-organized. Maybe Jack F. Will leave them alone for a lil while.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7162135

I have started marking my planting calender for days I hope to sow. So far..April 3 for direct sow - Cleomes. Got a ton of seed.

Heres an annual thread I found on cleomes!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1012504/

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 2:36 PM

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #7162543

Loofa - February 12 is going to be my projected planting date.

Heres a great thread on the Loofa

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/874758/

-------------------------------------------------
Well my outdoor coleus is cashed. They were sooo very pretty. I am going to have to have fresh cuttings made in January.. that is if my houseplants survive that far. Heartell the coleus seems to give up right around February so with that thought in mind.. I am taking cuttings January 3rd off my homers. I will sow my indoor seed around March 3rd should make for May plants. According to my manual, a basket should get 8 cuttings...so when I take cuttings I will put them straight away to a basket.

Heres a link for coleus:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1029872/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been thinking about watermelons and cantalopes...hmmm just finishing the last of summers... yums! Got seed too...Usually I broadcast those late May if the bed is made for them so I think I will mark the calender for April to make the bed around the 15th and sow May 23 no later than June 3.

Link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1029991/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, gonna do some purplecone flowers...hmmm Ima thinking I should be broadcasting those now to the prairie...let nature takes her course with them.

Link:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just remembered to bring my Christmas cactus in.. OMG, the thing is red and green. One is half dead...the other survived the frost and actually has buds..hoping they do not fall off and the little one has a volunteer petunia keeping it company in its pot! LOL!

Never have much luck starting these.. but looks like there are some segments that have roots that would take!

Found this link for them:

I think I am gonna have to think about bringing them in earlier.. they got hurt by the frost...I hope they revive!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 4:41 PM

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 4:51 PM

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 6:07 PM

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 6:58 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7163422

Pumpkin time .. I am going to sow seed around the 16th of May. I just might start a few a month earlier to try to get them ready for Halloween!

Heres a pumpkin link!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036424/#new
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7164834

I got sun today and above 45 so I just kicked my huge pots of peppers back outside onto the porch out of my laundryroom and cleaned up that mess. Will haveta bring them back in again tonite...dangggg frost.

Still have 7 window boxes of annuals - marigolds, snaps and allysumn to fit into the GH. Things are getting tight in there and still have to pull 40 tomato baskets off the hoophouse and clip to the roots and store the dirt filled baskets until next year. I am not messing with those any further.. to dang cold and they are going in the shed.

Ok, while on the subject of green peppers, marigolds and allysum, I am going to look for a thread on those, mark my planting calender and take care of that business for next year...

Will edit in the links as I find them!
--------------------------------------------------

Green Bell Peppers - I am marking my sowing dates for March 7 and April 7th 2010 for these and if I forget to sow them, I will have to get them at our local hardware!

Here is a link for them!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1019850/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marigolds - Today I have brought the last of the marigolds back into the GPS where they will stay in their window boxes until spring where whatever seed has fallen into the boxes can take off again at their speed and what ever seed I have collected will have to be sown to flats long about the time the temps are back steady day and night at around 50-60 degrees. I figure mid April to be good for my zone so am marking Apripl 13th my Marigold date for sowing seed in the GPS!

Here is a link on them:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/693028/

---------------------------------------------------

Alyssum - (why is that one always a hard one for me to spell!!! LOL!)
I had volunteers that grew from seed that I had from plants in my last years window boxes and they came EXCELLENT!

My manual says to sow seed on January 1st indoors...but hmmm.. I got a great crop of volunteers so I think I am just gonna wait until they sprout. But for grins will mark my calender in case I decide to start other colors than the white I already have!

Heres a link for them...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047714/

Snapdragons - the calender is marked sow seeds indoors January 19th and February 19th

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047719/
-----------------------------------------------------

Well, I need a break, I am heading off to the Cafe 24 so catch you there..!

henny questions?!

=================================

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 10:33 AM

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 10:51 AM

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 11:07 AM

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 11:25 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7165546

Well, Im back...been editing my silly head off this thread adding links until I finally figured out how to do it without doing that!

Anyway... I did some lobelia and did not have much luck with store boughts. Any time I tried to grow it by seed.. worse yet. It is one of the more difficult ones for me for some lame reason. But every year I try because on a success, they are sooo beautiful.

They are a royal pain to sow due to the puny micro seeds...just like impatiens and that is why I usually will avoid them both.

But anyway, here is a link and I am going to be looking for them come as soon as the local GH's start getting in plants which is long about April! So my reminder date to SHOP is gonna be April 11th!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/958575/#new

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #7166277

Impatiens.. UGH! Amother annual I did this year. MIserable for me to start by seed and pricey to by bedding plants! So what did I do I bought a pak of 6 and that was it! I took cuttings.. the cuttings were miserably slow and well anyway, now theyhave become houseplants to enjoy till death do us part.

Heres a link on them...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/731642/#new

I am marking my calender anyway to try to sow them, but them or what ever.

My sow date will be March 9th. Well thats a start and we will just take it from there...otherwise some day in mid May will be a shopping date!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #7166547

Dianthus for 2010! Marking the calender for a sow date of March 1st! These should give me a flowering plant for Memorial day if I am lucky!

Heres the link!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/pf.php

Um.. also, annual Sweet William.. a wanna grow...

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7166556

Isn't sweet william a bi-annual?
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7166564

I had some nice colors this year, worth the wait.

Thumbnail by gardengus

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7166674

I beleive Sweet Willies are are bi's... hmm I could not find a bi
forum on Daves! Theres annuals, perennials...no bi's.. or am I missing it?

That is one I cannot get enough seed of! Yours are lovely gus!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #7166693

I collected a lot of seed I would be glad to send some your way .
The dark one is very dark and called ''sooty''
I do not think we have a bi-annual forum, i guess they would be considered perennial because they come back.
I know we discuss hollyhocks and foxglove on the perennial forum.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7166747

Oh that would be great.. I will d-mail you my addie...

I just wrote Dave asking about a biannual er, I think its spelled biennial

forum! So will let you know if one gets on!

My Greenhouse Growers Manual refers to Sweet Williams as annuals...go figure!

To my knowledge, the Sweet Willies grow one season, come back and are done and have to re-seed themselves to keep going in one spot in the garden just like a holly hock.

I planted my hollyhock seeds already.. but did not do any foxglove.

Do you have the links to those forums? We can put them here and then figure out the planting dates to mark the calender if you would like.

Here is a re-cap pic for the dianthus!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7168353

Ok, no word on the biennial forum, but we can always chat on them here!

Its a rainy day again so I am working on the calender again...

Ok, pumpkins... heres the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036424/

I dont know yet if I am gonna do them. So for now I am gonna table them until next month to make a decision.. November 19th.. I will try to decide on a sowing date if I am gonna plant them in 09.

After what Fritz did...hmmmmmmm its kind of a tough decision to make!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7168443

Rainy day makes a good one for pie baking, hint, hint, that pan looks awfully empty to me!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7168459

Do ya think we ought to head for the cafe?

Before I go.. heres one for the road...the tomatoes!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1033317/#new

Ima tableing the planting day decision until November 20th. Be back for matos then!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7168483

Rotten maters and pie, now that's a combo!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #7168500

Heeeey! Wait fer me, I see ya'll are running, see ya there!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028020/

doink as door slams to the GPS but we will be baaaack...um riiight?
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7169847

Hi , I've been in town most the day , Did not see your D-mail for dianthus seeds? (address)
The dianthus you have pictured just above are sold as annuals here, but they come up every year, especially the parfait series.
I have some at least 5 years old, they bloom twice for me.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7170450

Hi Gus.. oops almost forgot! Will do as soon as I bring those spider lilies in! Dang this weather.. now they are talking SNOW! Run take cover before the sky falls!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #7170682

Man, I have been fretting over petunias all week and nearly forgot to calender them in for 2010!

Found a great link on them and well, I am hoping my haning baskets will put out a bunch of volunteers. Now some may not be as lovely as the original parent, but what the heck! Maybe theres a new hybrid in that seed waiting to come alive that will just tickle the fancy!

Heres the mess in the GPS!

One petunia link coming up shortly!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7172606

Here is the petunia link I found! Great shots there!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/981694/

I think we marked the calender...must double check! Yup!

----------------------------

Whooo doggies its raining again and well, the white stuff is on its way...

I have been busting bun here moving plants again...Can we say Amen that my petunias are in the GPS! YEAH!

So is the gomprhena which I need to collect seed off of and there are some pansys in there as well. Guess we need to mark the calender next on those for 2010 and find a link!

But first, I just cut back my baskets of baby sunroses...! Man that is one neato plant for me! Got a bunch of cuttings to give away soo speak now or hold your peices before they go to the compost.

I started a link on them and plant to have baskets going. So far all the ones I brought into the house are going bananas! hence the pruning.. so that is telling me, hmmm they might make for a great house plant.. hoping to carry them through till spring! They are cut and the baskets marvelous. I do not know if they will survive my zone for outdoor plantings... anyone know?

BABY SUN ROSES!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1048339/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Haighr, I moved the spider lilies indoors...its getting cramped in here! LOL!

Here is a link to them

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1048353/

Hope you make out good on those caladuims. I am gonna hunt for them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
GOMPHRENA.. I have white, pink and the magenta.. would love Strawberriey fields for 2010...

LINKS:

Strawberries fields -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/444548/#new

And more!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/710872/#new

Planting dates...Dont know yet!

PANSYS :

Link

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1038281/

Planting date.. undetermined as I am letting them re-seed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I mention too the dusty miller and 4 oclocks?

Well here they are too...

DUSTY MILLERS

Link...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1048363/

Four Oclocks - this one was fun for me this year! Got a lot of seed and plan to do it again!

Link

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/811397/#new

Planting date.. hmmm not sure yet!

Time for a break... yup, had a major implement breakdown...must be time to CULL old tools! Man that fork was 20 years OLD!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7172627

Yup, that implement is definitley broke!

Do we dare call this a pitched fork?

mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #7175395

I hope I can get mine planted at the right time next season. In 09 I had open heart, and the rest of the year to try, and catch up. So discouraging.I have sooo many seeds that I hope to get started, but the ground is way to wet to prepare. Mike
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7175401

Well, G'morning all again! Its drizzling here and I am not gonna get much done either here or outdoors today. Seems I hav KP duty and the rest of the nest needs a cleaning.. soo...catchya later!

Lemme know what you are up to!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7175421

mq, we cross posted...! Before I scatter, um, just what was it you was planting?! Iplan to list more varieties yet, but have to take a break as other chores are beckoning!

I can never do all, though my intentions are good...so if I missed a plant, and anyone needs help, well thats the idea here!

So a little recap...I use my isp's calender so its compterized...it will generate an email every day a task or appointment is listed... So thats the calender we are marking here.

Your turn!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7177843

Hey I heard from Terri , head for the cafe and get crackin!!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7179375

YAY! Great news... run dont walk! Last one there is a rotten pumpkin!
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7180121

Get a load of what I call a GH.I must have---oh--37cents in it total.Mostly stuff I scavenged from here, and there.
But it works!! Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #7180125

here is the maragold "Sophie". Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7180846

Well thats neato! Yano, we scronge and scrimp and make do too.
Have ya tried www.freecycle.com?

Well, got the calender marked for marigolds..still need to pack seed up...

That Sophie sure is a nice one there!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #7185547

I tabled marigolds for the 13th of next month to work on the seed.

Couple days ago I was supposed to mark the calender for raddish planting dat, but noticed I did not have seed soo... time to hunt!

I like the mild varieties. There is a white globe raddish I am particilarly fond of and it has been such a lonng time sin ce I planted them I canot for the life of me remember its name... another one of thos silver moments for old BLOSSOM!

Anyone have any ideas on what tht could be? Well there is time... So I am putting a reminder up on November 18th to go find seed.

I need to mark the calender too for anaconda gourds! I picked one up at my favorite farmstand and am hoping to try growing it next year! Its a beauty!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7186170

Ok, here is the link to the radish department...Brand spankiy new!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049453/

I was able to get a couple cherub tomatoes for seed! They are in the rot down compartment. Cant wait and hope they go good for 2010!

Will keep track of them on the Tomatoe Tourney thread!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #7186276

ok, here is the link to the 2009 - 2010 Tomato Tourney... I just ran my cherup seed out to the GPS so it can ferment there.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1033317/

No planting date, I am gonna wait until a few volunteers show up in the garden and then get going on the baskets and sowing then. About that time I am liable to go and get a new variety of started plants from the local hothouse too so I do have a little jump on some fresh ones before the ones I start from seed mature.

_______________________________________--

Just chopped some green bell peppers in the kitchen the other day and got their seed.

So far the pepper plants that I brought into the house (laundryroom) are doing great!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #7186570

Found a very interesting thread on growing squash!

Check this out!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1045585/

Right now, I am just marking the calender to gather seed...I dont hae a planting date...

-----------------------------------------------------

Had to chop my bushel basket of mums back, the flowers had spent themselves. I have a few mums in pots that I should poke into the garden...Have not decided where though!

Oh well, time to go look for a mum thread!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #7186816

ok, MUMS THE WORD!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/401527/#new
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its been a glorious day here. Temps outside are great and comfortable, the sun is shining, do I dare say HAPPY INDIAN SUMMER?!

Was 90 in the GPS this morning! The annuals in there are doing fine.

I have however had to work inside and take care of houseplants!

So, I guess its time for houseplant threads in amongst the annuals!

First up, spider plants!

Heres a link!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951067/

Marking my calender to give the a good soak about every 10 days!

Browning leaves say they need water!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7187112

Strawberry link...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951067/

I just finished putting some woodchips lover my strawberries. They are lightly mulched for the fall.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Today must be ladybug hatch day, OMG! There are trillions of them.. they are in the house, in nooks and crannies everywhere! They are not the red ones though.. they are the asiatics!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #7187300

Not hatching cumming in for the winter, looking for a nice warm place to stay.
Hi , been out of town a few days , back and catching up.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #7187351

Well, THEY can stay out! Jimminees! I go out 20 come in! LOL!

Well right now I am working on houseplants... just finished watering the spidersplants and am contemplating doing the begonias
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7187813

begonias...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/931852/

Wax begonias for postage or? Please d-mail me, I will be cutting them in the next day or so. There is white, pink and red.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #7190188

Well, the begonias are still sitting on the kitchen counter.. needing a trim. Need to prune them and water them and get on to the next lot of house plants on the next shelf.

Turned out to be a lovely day today.

I planted a few perennials. put a few hosta, couple daylilies and some peruvian lilies in the gorund in a temporary bed to which I will have to dig up again next year to have my veggie space. Until I get that other bed re-habbed well thats life in the garden, put it in, yank it out move it around and around about!

Yanked a few bricks out of a garden bed that I am re-habing. Need those to installin a half moon so a gate can roll its wheel better than slogging it through the mud. Its a heavy gate.

Watered the annuals in the greenhouse and catergorized some seed for storage.

Moved the peppers to the porch for a sunny day outside. Now need to clean the mess they made and later bring them back in. I watered them outside too. That was a joy. Now I will probably bring a ton of ladybugs in the house with them when they return. Just when I think I get rid of the last LB from the prior year...hmmm the're baaaaack and this year with a vengence.. its like a ladybug plague!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #7190509

Ok, the begonias are cut.. LAST CALL ANYONE WANTING WAX BEGONIA CUTTINGS bark now! D-mail me with your trade or postage deal There are some baby sunroses left too!

Tomorrow I am cutting coleus...sooo you could get a mix!

HOLY COW! LADY BUG PLAGUE!! I had to take a garden hose to hose them off my back door.. now they are mad and there are more and more!

I guess they will be coming in with my peppers too. OY!

Yup, now they are totally in the house! LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #7190626

This is approxamately 1 square foot of my door. Um, my entire house is covered with ladybugs from stem to stern with this many bugs per square foot if not more in each!

So hows it hanging by you ?

This is the most I have ever seen in a season and they only been out for 2 days! They are gettng thicker by the moment!

I tried hosing them off the back door just to try to get in the house... dint work.. 20 came in with me! They are in my hair, on my clothes, they have no pride where they go!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #7192949

Oh BB our cabin gets so thick with lady bugs you can't walk around. We had that freeze and when we got up there on Saturday, I vacuumed them for hours. Then we started the wood stove and w/n a few hours they were everywhere again alive and well.
Tim had to stop in Hancock on his way here yesterday just to clean the windshield as they were so thick coming down the mountain he could not see to drive.
So I can feel your pain in trying to get around as they are really something this year. I must say though that in years past they have always been thick at the cabin, guess they just love to call it home!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7193211

Haighr, they seem to get thicker every year! They are sortof beneficial as they do eat ahpids and tiny micro bugs. What you do not see in that pic above are all the ones IN the cracks! Just when I think I have gotten rid of the last one IN the house.. the're baaaAAck! So far this morning I am not seeing many, but I am sure as the sun heats up they will again come from hiding to try to find another place to hide in!

Then topping that I found a couple stink beetles... Oh my, those smell worst than a ladybug!

And spiders...Oh my!

Well, I am not sure yet where I am headed marking the calender today. I think I put up links for coleus and begonias, did I not? This silver head is losing her chain of thought anymore and now
I have errands to run and so will be here and there.

The new Cafe 25 is open, so everyone needs to bring their deocor in so when terri is back at the end of the week she will have a nice surprize!...Yardqueen also needs her gifts unloaded and put in. and I think the cybersemi has brought another load of floral supplies! Broomhilder and Fritz are floating around someplace...did you met her yet? She is a cousin of Bloomers and some how realted to your buddy the hoe! I think the gene pool in that lot is awful strange!

You did a great job on the food preperations, She really liked that!

Well, first off before I go, reality check... I am making coleus cuttings and if anyone really wants any of those...d-mail me for details. There are some begonia cuttings and a little of the baby sunroses left and so get them while they are fresh!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #7193342

Found this how to on saving zucchini seeds...

Marking my calender for 10/26 to hunt for seed!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047196/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #7193782

We have the stink bug problem here at home. We bomb regularly other wise they are divebombing us. They try to nest in the left side of our windows, it is the darndest thing.
Our neighbors pellet stove stopped working and it was because of the stink bug nests and we are having a problem with our fireplace gas logs and think it may be due to the same problem.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7194383

E-yuk! Stinkers! Gads.. they are soo rank. Have not seen but two so far.

Just got back from my errands and got a deal on some flowerseed.. got some zinnias 3-4 kinds, crackerjack marigolds, a pak of snaps, some lobelia and convent gyp! Will put up links later.

Need to catch up on some mail.
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #7195985

crackerjacks are nice. Mike
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7196762

mq, I got the mixed colors, so there should be orange and yellows for me in the future. I really liked those little yellow ones that I had that came from volunteers for me this last season! The flowers were no bigger than a dime!

Heres MARIGOLDS FOR 2010 - Anyone!?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1050220/

Well, I best get to doing my cuttings. I am still not done with the coleus and have to mail parcels!

See you guys later!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #7197194

The coleus are done now.

Have to do impatiens... snip snip! LOL! One pot, all pruned! I dont usually have luck with impatiens and its impossible to start them from seed.

Heres a link for impatiens!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1050246/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ok, next victim!~

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7200158

Well, its a rainy day, the tide is in... Guess it will be agood one to get back to working on logging photos and catching up on the trade list.

I sent parcels out yesterday again so some of oyou should be getting something and am still working on the next lot! Ever behind I am.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #7208666

Well, thank yous came in from some of you receiving! I am so glad you are happy with your parcels.

I have been away from the GPS for a couple days. I probably ought to check in there to see if some of the annuals could yuse a drink if they have not decided to depart this world!

Many of the annuals that I brought into the home have done very well so far! I cut back begonias, impatiens, coleus and the baby sunroses and had lots of cuttings which are gone now!

I need to get back on processing the seed I am saving. Most of it is dry now and can be packed up. I still have seed from a couple of plants outdoors that I want to grab before its too late too. The wisteria set beans and so have my catalpas.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7210332

Wisteria for 2010 -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051324/

Pods will be ready soon!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, its a fair day, but cloudy, the GPS plants were fine. No tending needed in there. Need to go pack more seed for storage.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #7210712

Catalpa for 2010

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051370/

I have yet to try to start catalpa in the GPS, but this year I am liable to try!

I have pods hanging heavy on 4 of my big trees so they are available to swap! - D- mail me...

And if you want to chat catalpas, got to the link above!
----------------------------------------------------------

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7211022

Zinnia time...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1003394/

I just got a deal on some cheap seed that I plan to start. But for some exciting pretties, visit that link above.. they are stunning!

I need to mark a planting date for the Z's!

Heres my first pak to plant, they are called Giants of California.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7212239

Im gonna table the date until 1/26/10 for the zinnias.. I am not sure if I am gonna broad cast them or container them. If I broad cast it has to be after frost and if I sow them in the GPS or inside, I have to figure out that date based on the actual weather...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I got watermelon seed here that needs to be stored...

The seed came from watermelons I got a t the farmers market this summer for eating... I have had luck in the past with tasty melons from seed from the market melons.. so ok, some where around the middle of May I am going to broad cast them in the garden

Heres a link...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051456/

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #7213011

As for the zinnias BB, I have started mine inside on many occasions and my experience has been to just plant seed in the ground, they seem to do much better.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7213381

I agree.. Zinnias direct sown do wonderful. I would though like to try a compact variety in containers this coming season. Wonder if the lilliputs would be ok for those.? Or maybe the draw primulas?

Well, we got drizzle again. Ijust put up my tomatoe baskets from the summer to store in the shed...I will worry about cleaning them out next year as I go to pot up.

Im still working on paking seeds. Just labeled some 4 oclocks and need to find a cardboard box to temporarily put the wisteria pods in. Got a good number this year! WoW That ice storm worked its wounders on that one! Saved me the trouble of "flogging" it! LOL!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7213547

I had a storm do a great job flogging my wisteria a few years ago, now I must resort to beating it with rolled newspaper in the spring.
Good luck with the seed. As you may recall I had to plant seed for mine about 4 times this past season, but worth it. I harvested quite a few of them for seed and have gotten quite a few - not as many as I would have liked cause of the frost.
I also have a ton of cleome seed to package up. Have done quite a bit but have a whole lot of pods that still need to dry.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #7213635

Well, you do know that wisteria started from seed takes a good 7 years to reach bloom time dont you? So do not get frustrated if you see no flowers for many years!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have cleomes to pak up...got a ton of seed from them. Next year I am thinking I just might broadcast their seed into my orange daylily bed and enjoy the color of orange and the purple! So gaudy, yet a neat nature combo!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just put my new cannas in the crisper in the fridge. Found out the striped one was Pretoria.. a beauty! Heres the plant file link! Its awesome and cant wait to see what color it is!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/3303/

Now to look at banna canna! The leaves on those roots are maroon
Off to get a link!

Ok, searched.. no luck... owell, two are a NOID.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Potted up a few impatien cuttings I took a short while back and bumped some coleus cuts up too
BopnRoses
Howard Beach, NY

October 27, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #7213844

You mentioned 4 oclock seeds. I have been looking for them but cannot find. Please tell me where I can find them. Thanks.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7213926

Oy, need to water in here.. the GPS is dry and the annuals are doing very well, but all need a shot of juice!

Cut back the last of the gomphrenas... need to pak seed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watered the perennials that will not get planted until next year...
need to find a place to store them for the winter...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Break time.. off to the cafe
-----------------

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #7213950

Bopnroses, please check your d-mail...!

These were some of the annuals I did this summer, the 4 o'clocks are in the big pot to the left with dusty millers!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #7214690

Just listed these fresh seed to my trade list -

Gomphrena - magenta
Gomphrena - white
Sweet William Tall double
Helichrysum
Lobelia - Crystal Palace
Gypsohila - Convent Garden
Wisteria - China Blue
Stella de oro - open pollinated
Statice - mixed rainbow
Larkspur - mixed
Corn - bantam
Sweet basil
cauliflower
Sweet william - tall single
Butternut squash
strawflower
sweet peas mixed royal
Aster

I want to plant some of these, but not sure yet which.. So am tabling putting links and planting dates

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7219038

Got in some nice purpleheart wanderng jews from trinawitch!

Not the best photo, the plants alook better in person! SHe did a great job packing them and they took the shipping pretty good!

I put them all in a basket.. will bump them up later and do cuttings!

She also sent me some varigated vinca plants and ornamental pepperseed

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7219092

Here are the "jews"...like I said, not the best photo!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #7219399

Here is a better shot of the WJ's!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #7221223

Her vinca...yano, I never did cut that hanging basket. I was gonna, but chickend out. Its still growing and the tails are still getting long. Wonder how long it will get! I hope i can get the thing through winter in the livingroom! It is loosing a few eaves at the pot, but is as green as grass beyond and to the tail tips.. they are about 7 feet long now if not longer!

Anyway, I think trinawitches vinca are identical. Hers I am gonna try leaving in the GPS for the winter and pray they come back in the spring. Maybe I will bring half in if I get some room. But the rest are gonna have to try to tough it! If all goes well, they too will be put into baskets in the spring!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #7223316

Woke up this AM to RAIN RAIN RAIN! But its 60 and it aint snow!

Decided to mark the calender for the zinnias for planting. Will sow some paks of tall varieties on May 1 and the short varieties for April 1.
Am hoping to get some more zinnia seed in. ANd hope to get enough to broadcast to the plot too.

OK, wheres the sun?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7232029

Chilly today. Well I poked my nose in the GPS and the indoor temp in there was 90 while outside it was in the upper 40's! ANd the aroma fo the annuals was spledid. Very humid in there though... almost too humid.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7233094

Unbeleivably, it is November! I am now ceasing watering anything in the GPS. Oh how I hate to, but need to put a stop to the seed germinating in my annual pots so I can have volunteers in the spring.

I will probably move what few perenials into the GPS that I did not get planted in there and finish off planting the spring bulbs and stellas that I divided up earlier this summer as what is left of any good weather allows and hope to finish in 2 weeks.

Outdoor fall cleanup will be consisting of just a mowing of a few beds then the dreaded snow can fly. Not that I want that.

Need to double check to make sure all tools and hoses are stored away and then do a final cleanup on the mower deck.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #7236038

OK, hoses for the greater part are put up. Looks like the tools are too.
We got the mowers runned out of fuel and re-oiled for next season and they are good to go to storage except the big tractor and small tractor.

I dragged the leaves. Figured dragging them would help disinagrate them and so no burning.

Now to go indoors and tend to the houseplants.

But first a thread to broccoli!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #7236113

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1041118/

Yep, thats for broccoli! Never tried growing it, so am giving it some thought!
--------------------------------
Got the baby sunroses watered and a few of the houseplants...will finish them later.
---------------------------------------------------------
Been contemplating doing Cosmos. Someone added them to the aster thread and so, that has given me more to think about.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found a thread for asperagus and made one for asperagus sperengri
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, thats it for now.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #7236585

Its a frosty fall morning, butlooks like the sun will be shining later.

Need to finish watering the house plants and clean up the messes they are leaving.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Im contemplating doing balsam in 2010. Its a lovely plant, relative to the impatien...easier to grow and tall.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7240480

Hey Gus, are you there?

Heres the link for the dianthus.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053422/

I still have not got any new seed in for dianthus or sweet williams...so will have to put that in order.
------------------------------------------------

Today I am cutting back the annuals I have in my house. Did the dianthus and snaps so far.
-------------------------------------------------
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #7241049

Only thing I am doing with the annuals I brought in is either sweeping up their foliage that has dropped or praying for their survival!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7241126

E-gads! It looks like I wil have baby sun roses and orange impatiens for cuttings.

I have to bump up my coleus cuttings to larger pots yet!

Sorted some seed today. Been also working on posting pics to my trade list.. I AM SO EVER BEHIND!

Then I am stuck in the office...OY!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7242640

Hi , I have been out of town a few days ''issues '' just got back. Having trouble getting caught up with fall chores. almost as bad as May planting season for me. Plus I have to do bookwork for bills. I have a tendency to put that part off.
Of course there is the photo contest . Do you look and vote?
I had a D- mail from a DG member wanting me to post in the request for a dianthus forum. I don't mind another forum but have too many on my watch list to keep up with now.
I am not doing the piggy seed swap this year just no time , but I have a hard time not sticking my snout in once in a while just to see the fun.
Looks like you are keeping busy ^_^
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #7242887

I dont know what it is like not to be busy!

I have heard of the piggy swap, but never have participated in it... Right now I am concentrating on current things to be done and to get caught up on traders that I may have fallen behind on. Dont know where that is or how it works and , probably ought to keep my snout out! Well for the time beign anyway until things get a chance to catch up.

Getting the calender marked for 2010. That is my biggest chore and logging in phtos and catching my trade list up.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7260148

Well, today I discovered that pansys can be coldframed for the winter...Oh gads.. do I dare transplant the ones that I have in the house so I can winter them out side? They are struggling in the pepper pots as I think it is just too warm for them in the house and the ones in the GPS are doing great.. I will probably have to make like a little protection on the pansys in the GPS to hope to make them make it through the winter. I have never tried it so.. hmmm ,, thinking maybe to try, got nothing to lose if I dont!

Did cuttings and cleanup in the house on the begonias, spider plants, pothos and vinca.

Yeah, I cut that 7 foot long vinca that was in my haning basket.. I took the vine and cut that too into lengths about a foor long and put them in water.. I doubt that they will start, but what do I have to lose if I dont try on them either. Dang I hated to cut that thing, but it was losing leaves at the basket and was making a mess in the living room. So ok, maybe that basket will make it and come again. I noticed there was an impatien in the pot there too.. maybe it too will start to grow.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7263375

Ok, today is coleus day.. I gotta bump up my cuttings...

Heres a great thread goind on coleus...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1029872/#new

Guess I better get started.. see ya in the Cafe later.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #7266322

Lordy this thread is long for my ole dail-up but I did wanna show what the hub's built for me. No more standing in the rain or sun potting plants. Cost all of $8.00 mostly for screws to hold it together.

Thumbnail by bigred

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #7266421

Now thats nice RED! I wonder if I could coax 6'2" to do me up a viranda up like that? I'm getting tared of rolling up and down the umbrella!

So ya think the thread is long.. ok, GPS 7 Coming on up!

Back with the link ASAP!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7266447

Heres the new thread everyone!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055573/

So ok, Red, repost your pic there and lets talk about that thang!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America