Pray for ransom

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Ransom acted a little colic tonight. Gave Banamine and seemed a bit better. I will check again in a while. He ate hay and drank some.

Richmond, TX

So how's he doing? I hope it was just a brief belly ache. Let us know.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Hope he is back up and running this AM?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I went out at 430am when my alarm went off. He was walking around, staring at me. When I headed back towards the house, he was cantering along the fence line. He stopped right about to where I was, so I ducked under the fence, and got a little nuzzlins.

When I fed at 530 before heading here to work, he was eating. Slow, but he was eating. Didn't give him his full dinner or full breakfast. Lots of hay, though, which he was eating when I went to bed.

I hope that's the last of the upset tummies.... Booger! Thanks everyone...

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

glad to hear he's feeling better, colic can be tricky.

Apparently fall is the 'season' for colic?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Hard to tell. Only other time I've had a colic symptom at the house was dead cold winter, and it was Romeo.

I think the weather being really irratic yesterday didn't help. It was warm, humid, windy from all directions, rainy and then not... all with a pending cold front on the way. That probably wreacked havoc on the atmospheric pressures as well.

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

it's a puzzle, for sure!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm glad he's better!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

The front's at the house now ...

Here's praying he doesn't get agitated..

Ransom, sweetie.. Listen to Momma.. Go in the stall, and hide from the wind. Don't go runnin' around like a booger & get sick again.

(All the while, he threw a shoe - so I don't need hoof wall tearing up, either.)

I love the fall season, really... tphphphphpht

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Hope he's doing better. Weather changes sometimes help cause colic. We had a pony do that every fall. Some leaves in the fall do that too, when they eat them. Red Maples are one.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I've got all live oaks, and a buncha mesquite in the pasture..

Too too too warm here for maples, even though they're beautiful.

I cut down the red maples lining my driveway when I moved in.....it was sad. They are beautiful.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

A coworker had another good idea..

We've been in drought all summer. Until recently, when it's been raining good. So, the grass is greening up nicely. Maybe he got too much yummy grass, though he's been grazing on it as it's been growing up. I never had him locked up off the grass... Still an idea though.

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

First week of October 2004 sugar colicked; I had seen her eating acorns before it happened. I have always suspected that caused it although it hasn't happened since and I haven't cut all the oaks down.

South Hamilton, MA

I f you keep an eye on the acorns & rake them up, perhaps all will be well.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

He is much better tonight.
Cold front came in. Temps have dropped 25degrees since morning. yuk! Rain and stiff winds as well.

alfalfa is good on nights like that. And warm wheat bran mash (with other good stuff if you're up for it) instead of grain. If the temps drop more than 20 degrees, that's a precaution.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

They got lite sheets tonite. still misting rain. yuk! I know is spoiling, but don't care. LOL
I'll go out in a bit to check on them.
I'd not heard alfalfa before. SmartPak makes an easy add water only mash mix. Super easy.
Ransom decided it was good to share. Now my tummy is yuk. No fever just tummy upset. Darn.
Ya'll have a nifty nite.

South Hamilton, MA

Nerves will do that. Smart Pak makes mash for owners? Someone ought to. Glad that Ransome is better.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

smart pak makes a mix. three kinds I think. just add warm water let it soak up and pour.
I,ve used it a few times with happy horse results

South Hamilton, MA

How is Ransome?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Ransom is still good. Lost a shoe that he gets back tomorrow. On track to show Oct 25

South Hamilton, MA

I'm glad that he is better. Colic illness is scary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images