Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Carolina Gardening: Hugo Roof Failed On Schedule

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #7150815

My 20 year old Hugo roof was starting to get leaks all over the place so I'm getting a new one .. They are up there now, tearing off the old stuff .. I was up at 6am (roofers were scheduled to arrive 8am but managed to just barely make it by 8:30 - actually they were suppose to be here yesterday, but that's another story). I have plans to be gone when the hammering starts .. poor kitties are going to be basket cases by the time it's all over with .. I got up an hour early so they could at least have something when they ensconced themselves in the box springs of my bed .. their favorite hiding place. I thought about setting up my video camera so you could check in and see the progress, like I did when my tree was taken down but figured roof replacement wasn't all that exciting.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #7152137

Oh poor you. Re-roofing is not only noisy but it is messy and hard on your plants too. Make sure they go around several times with the big magnet to pick up any stray nails. Don't want you stepping on any down the road.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #7152411

Yeah .. I asked them how thorough they were with the magnet and he said very .. I said uh huh. They've already smashed my zinnias and broke a brugmansia.

X
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7152458

Ouch.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7152623

I still find roofing nails from when when my house was built. Roofers weren't so thorough, nice rusty nails.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7152906

They finished up about 1.5 hours ago. Doesn't look bad at all. Ahhh ... a kitty has come out of hiding .. must be the girl kitty Fief as she's fussing at me for making so much noise all day! Indeed it is Fief. If I spoke kitty I'd probably have to wash her mouth out with soap .. she is really ticked off! and here's Barney .. he doesn't have anything to say about it .. he usually lets Fief do the talking.

X
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7153303

Quoting: Fief as she's fussing at me for making so much noise all day! Indeed it is Fief. If I spoke kitty I'd probably have to wash her mouth out with soap .. she is really ticked off!

Ahhh, you get out much? Just wondering?
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #7164467

LOL, I'd love to hear what she has to say. :)
Roofers are deadly to plantings. Hope there wasn't any additional damage.
Flower_addictnc
Valdese, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7164654

People working on your house for the most part seem to not care about your property. Its a shame. I have had trouble with the cable company stomping through my seperated, mulched beds. They lay wires on top of my roses, step on daylilys. I had fresh lily shoots 4-5" high that had just emerged from the ground stepped on, and broken. At that point I called the company and complained.

I had new cable line put in, and they had to bury it. Well, its kinds my fault for putting bulbs around the light and utility poles. I came home one day and they had buried the wire. They had dug all my bulbs up, some that were even blooming, and just tossed them everywhere.

Definetly, have to watch those workers. I know if I was doing their job I would certainly be respectful of people's property.

Danielle
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #7165348

Ta Daaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Open to suggestions on what color to paint the trim now that the grey doesn't go with the roof anymore .. The roof came out a bit more "oranger" than I expected .. the sample tile was the color of the dark bits.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #7165959

Ouooooo, that looks very nice. I always like black shutters with old brick or maybe that almost black Charleston Green.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #7166489

I second the Charleston green. A darker red would probably work too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America